Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lons buddy Marion Keyes says her failure to be win book award down to sexism.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/04/marian-keyes-attacks-sexist-imbalance-of-wodehouse-prize
    Well that's convenient. Maybe she's not as humorous a writer as she thinks she is? It could also be the voting panel to be fair. If it is mostly male there can be a general gender difference in what might be considered "funny", though I would say there's more a highbrow/lowbrow difference going on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lons buddy Marion Keyes says her failure to be win book award down to sexism.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/04/marian-keyes-attacks-sexist-imbalance-of-wodehouse-prize

At least she's stopped playing the depression card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Is it an Australian thing? I just assumed people picked up after watching hours of American television. Mary Lou is another one. It gives me a headache.

I dunno. I know that anyone who comes from a non-english speaking country to Ireland often finds English pretty flat. It's not musical at all.
    But yeah, tv and so on have influenced our 'inflections'...even the Irish language is pretty flat and non-lyrical compared to others.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Well that's convenient. Maybe she's not as humorous a writer as she thinks she is? It could also be the voting panel to be fair. If it is mostly male there can be a general gender difference in what might be considered "funny", though I would say there's more a highbrow/lowbrow difference going on.

That award is notoriously difficult to win-if it's not unanimous laughter, then you don't get the award. A 'wry smile' isn't enough.
    There's been years where they haven't given the award at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/may/16/wodehouse-prize-for-comic-fiction-withheld-after-judges-fail-to-laugh
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    At least she's stopped playing the depression card.

Thank you, I thought I was the only one who noticed that. (Anyone who knows me on here knows I'm pretty open about my own MH issues). She often seems to try and get attention for her 'depression'- but anyone who knows anything about mental health issues knows that 'attention' is the last thing you want with mental health problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

https://twitter.com/ish474/status/1003029855414489089

Perfect example of the new wave feminism movement.

I see she also deleted that tweet, asking all the people who liked her post to give €1 each to pay her college fees. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I see she also deleted that tweet, asking all the people who liked her post to give €1 each to pay her college fees. :pac:

Wha? Missed that one. Just noticed shes from Limerick, I thought she from the States.

• Advertisement

Wha? Missed that one. Just noticed shes from Limerick, I thought she from the States.

It was definitely there the other night. Don't know how long it was up for.

What an absolute horrible excuse for a human being...dear God, if she's the future, then someone cancel this planet and put it on reruns...

I swear, someone like her needs a good slap...hell, I'm reminded of that scene from Airplane where they line up to slap a woman back to sense.

Tempted to donate a tenner, and leave a message with '*dear whiny, horrible excuse for a human being, here's a tenner from a misogynist who thinks you have a small brain and belong in the kitchen, who voted no, and plans to picket every abortion clinic and throw rubber foetuses at doctors. If you accept this tenner, you will earn another 50 euro but will thus compromise your principles...'

*None of this is true, btw. I believe none of this, and I won't donate any money towards this prosti-tweeter. It's just someone actually did do that to a third-wave feminist, with a similar message on her patreon.

What an absolute horrible excuse for a human being...dear God, if she's the future, then someone cancel this planet and put it on reruns...

I swear, someone like her needs a good slap...hell, I'm reminded of that scene from Airplane where they line up to slap a woman back to sense.

Tempted to donate a tenner, and leave a message with '*dear whiny, horrible excuse for a human being, here's a tenner from a misogynist who thinks you have a small brain and belong in the kitchen, who voted no, and plans to picket every abortion clinic and throw rubber foetuses at doctors. If you accept this tenner, you will earn another 50 euro but will thus compromise your principles...'

*None of this is true, btw. I believe none of this, and I won't donate any money towards this prosti-tweeter. It's just someone actually did do that to a third-wave feminist, with a similar message on her patreon.

What saddens me more, is the amount of young men who are in agreement with her.

I have to wonder if its sarcastic-likes...to appear woke. I mean, all of us pretend to be something to some people throughout our lives-not 'creepy' mind-more like 'Yeah, I love Alanis Morrissette (no I don't)' or 'Smashing pumpkins teeshirt (okay, yeah I do)' or 'Nirvana (...don't wanna know you if you're not a fan)' etc etc. Twitter is an online 'clique'-that sees too many people think it's reality.
    It's not.

I only discovered her 'twitter' because someone I follow liked that crazy tweet-then I was like 'oh jesus...'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

if there were 3rd wave feminists donating to a holiday for Tara Flynn, theyd prob donate to her

• Advertisement

want to bet they're trying to get the ride

if there were 3rd wave feminists donating to a holiday for Tara Flynn, theyd prob donate to her

Oh God, yeah, the 'We Love Tara' hashtag was going on around that time too. The difference is that Tara was actually getting off her @$$ to campaign for something. Whether you agree with her or not, she was actually doing something. So the 'give her a few quid', while ridiculous, was at least for something.
    Flynn also donated the money to charities-she didn't want it, and had nothing to do do with the campaign.

Plus, Flynn is a 'celebrity'...okay, personality. She didn't just send a tweet and say 'send me money'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

It's still there as a pinned post, she's gay so it's perfectly acceptable to say things like that apparently

Oh God, yeah, the 'We Love Tara' hashtag was going on around that time too. The difference is that Tara was actually getting off her @$$ to campaign for something. Whether you agree with her or not, she was actually doing something. So the 'give her a few quid', while ridiculous, was at least for something.
    Flynn also donated the money to charities-she didn't want it, and had nothing to do do with the campaign.

Plus, Flynn is a 'celebrity'...okay, personality. She didn't just send a tweet and say 'send me money'.

Tara also said that paddy Jackson is guilty and that the trial and verdict was unfair. Like Lon she seems to have an issue with men being found not guilty in a court of law.

Owryan wrote: »
    It's still there as a pinned post, she's gay so it's perfectly acceptable to say things like that apparently

she hid the comment who criticised her for her saying to the extent that non gay people cant go to pride

she hid the comment who criticised her for her saying to the extent that non gay people cant go to pride

Ah ok. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Yeah the only reason I can ever think of why these eunuchs jump on these type of bandwagons is this reason

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Yeah the only reason I can ever think of why these eunuchs jump on these type of bandwagons is this reason
    two friends of mine went down this route for the last few weeks and went full out with it, sharing stuff online and the repeal logos on their page, if the LON types heard what they say on a night out, they'd be lynched by them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its a bit like fishing by throwing a stick of dynamite into a cess pool,do you really want what rises to the top?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

two friends of mine went down this route for the last few weeks and went full out with it, sharing stuff online and the repeal logos on their page, if the LON types heard what they say on a night out, they'd be lynched by them

Did it work?

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    Tara also said that paddy Jackson is guilty and that the trial and verdict was unfair. Like Lon she seems to have an issue with men being found not guilty in a court of law.

So did a couple of the Derry Girls cast.

Also tweeted the 'sosueme' paddy tweet.

She's scurrilous, for sure, but unlike many others such as LON and co, she got off of her butt to campaign for something. As in she left the damn couch and went outside.

Tara's a loon-most definitely not deserving of a holiday worth 8 grand, for sure. But only slightly above the likes of Lon and co.

Did it work?

of course not

of course not

Thought it wouldn't.

A certain poster here, is fecked so. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

She would eat a macdonalds no bother.

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    She would eat a macdonalds no bother.

The burger or the entire restaurant, bricks and all?

(Cruel I know-but she insulted every 'cisgendered' person so she can bugger off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

http://www.everymancork.com/2018/06/asking-for-it/

Anyone planning on going? Fancy meeting up for a few beers beforehand? I'd say it'll be a wild night.

http://www.everymancork.com/2018/06/asking-for-it/

Anyone planning on going? Fancy meeting up for a few beers beforehand? I'd say it'll be a wild night.

I picture it something like this.

https://youtu.be/Yz1Y5txOAqI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I picture it something like this.

Video doesn't work Sweetmotion!! Not sure if it's just my computer.

Video doesn't work Sweetmotion!! Not sure if it's just my computer.

Wouldn't work on the phone, sorry.

• Advertisement

Boards should work on advanced mode for mobile site. ðŸ˜

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement