Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

LLMMLL wrote: »
    You said you’d explain it when it mattered. If it doesn’t matter why do you want me to respond?
    You said you know why, so tell me what you can tell from my one post on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You said you know why, so tell me what you can tell from my one post on it.

I’ll explain it when it matters......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You said you’d explain it when it mattered. If it doesn’t matter why do you want me to respond?

I’d like to hear too if that’s ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Haven’t you heard? I am LON.
    I want to see an AMA with LON. If you are really her will you do one pleeease?

Omackeral wrote: »
    I’d like to hear too if that’s ok?

You know too. We all know.

• Advertisement

I’ll explain it when it matters......
    I'll explain it to the one person who'll have a say in it. You've made a snidey remark to me that I'd like you to fully back up. Go on.

Haven’t you heard? I am LON.

I can confirm this..

You know too. We all know.

Enlighten me please.

I see plenty of women keeping their own name and I see plenty of children with either their dad’s name, their mam’s name or double barrell names. I don’t think I know any men that have taken their wives name. Could if be tradition or is it the vicious chauvinistic misogynist patriarchy at fault? Is that the answer? The second one.

I want to see an AMA with LON. If you are really her will you do one pleeease?

Feel like I’ve already done one in this thread.

I'll explain it to the one person who'll have a say in it. You've made a snidey remark to me that I'd like you to fully back up. Go on.

Why do you think it was snide?

• Advertisement

Why do you think it was snide?
    :rolleyes: "We all know why" as if there's some shameful reason. You're fooling nobody.

:rolleyes: "We all know why" as if there's some shameful reason. You're fooling nobody.

If you view the reason as shameful then that’s on you. I guess that explains why you’re so reluctant to share your views.

Feel like I’ve already done one in this thread.
    Go on Louise be a sport.
    awesome-animals-578.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I love being told that we all think about things uncritically.:rolleyes:

My wife/kids taking my name would be hella important to me. There's few things I would "want" in a relationship but that would be one. How dare I?

The missus flits between our married name and her maiden name depending on her mood or where she's communicating - social media would all be in her maiden name. Never bothered me whether she wanted to change her surname or not - that was up to her and there was no pressure on her from myself. The kids have my name but neither of us thought too deeply about it in terms of anything to be honest. Both of us think double-barrel names are crappy so that was never a frontrunner.

I wouldn't take my wife's name but I can't quite put my finger on why. Is it because of tradition or is it because of outward appearances of emasculation? Probably a bit of both tbh.

New thread title suggestion;

Is Louise O Neill Jealous of Una Mullally’s New Thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Such as?

It depends on the relationship and the people involved but it could range from things like expectation to spend thousands of euros on an engagement ring to things like expectation to work overtime to bring in more money.

Sometimes it's just an expectation that you will behave a certain way or stop playing video games or something.

Sometimes it's something completely irrational or unreasonable.

Of course it works both ways as both Men and Women will have an extensive list of expectations to place upon their ideal partner.

It depends on the couple but in general both sides in a successful relationship will make sacrifices.

If both people were to completely disregard any expectations and stubbornly refuse to sacrifice anything then I think there'd be fewer happy couples out there and more people frustrated that they can't find anyone other than entitled eejits who are always ready to take but never willing to give.

I think it's a bit sh!tty to focus in on the expectations put on one partner when there are also, not insignificant, expectations put on the other partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gravelly wrote: »
    I've a college-age son, and one of his mates does a great line in male feminism. He does the full act, and is extremely convincing. It is however, just an act - he openly admits it. He does it because it gets him laid at an alarming rate, and if he is to be believed, college feminists are absolute sluts, and proud of it, but only if you play the whole "woke" game, and preen their feathers with plenty of bullshït. The lad reckons if they ever cop onto him, he'll be run out of town!

Oh God-I've seen those ladies. He must have low standards and low self esteem, cos those ladies are ....Oh god, no. Never would.
    I wonder how these 'all men are degenerate scum' brand of feminists feel about their fathers and brothers etc.

I'd say Christmas dinner is a barrel of laughs.

Also does anyone know what that femtwit looking to get her college fees payed for by the public is studying?

I know a 'male feminist lecturer' who was literally the worst person you could invite to a xmas dinner.

He went home for the family get together with his parents and siblings for Christmas. His mother, or sister, is married with kids, two girls I believe. One of the girls was encouraged to 'show Uncle John Doe your new dance that you learned' which she learned off of one of those dance games-either Wii U, or something. Well, the dance was, he felt, very 'suggestive'...and he let her know, in some very, very harsh language...pretty much ruined the entire holiday.

The guy acts as a moral guardian...used to date one of his teen pupils, who he was teaching. Right barrel of laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Jasus, this like a before and after picture of meth heads.

I think this line is spot on though.

Feminism once inside the brain can quickly turn a once friendly, happy, anomaly woman. Into a self important bully bitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Feminism once inside the brain can quickly turn a once a once friendly, happy, anomaly woman. Into a self important bully bitch.

Oh God-I've seen those ladies. He must have low standards and low self esteem, cos those ladies are ....Oh god, no. Never would.

I know a 'male feminist lecturer' who was literally the worst person you could invite to a xmas dinner.

He went home for the family get together with his parents and siblings for Christmas. His mother, or sister, is married with kids, two girls I believe. One of the girls was encouraged to 'show Uncle John Doe your new dance that you learned' which she learned off of one of those dance games-either Wii U, or something. Well, the dance was, he felt, very 'suggestive'...and he let her know, in some very, very harsh language...pretty much ruined the entire holiday.

The guy acts as a moral guardian...used to date one of his teen pupils, who he was teaching. Right barrel of laughs.

Never trust a male feminist. Sneaky feckers every last one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Reminds me of this episode of the Simpsons

8jSDYaD.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,498 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Feminism once inside the brain can quickly turn a once friendly, happy, anomaly woman. Into a self important bully bitch.

Feminism: Not Even Once.

Reminds me of this episode of the Simpsons

8jSDYaD.png
    Never trust a male feminist. Sneaky feckers every last one of them.

Feminists in general I never trust-look at the crap Anita Sarkeesian has pulled. She's had a ton of kicstarters/ Indiegogo campaigns for stuff such as her video game analysis-and has never finished up on any of them.
    She gave abuse to someone in the audience at a games convention, and yet the founders of the con apologised to her.
    And recently she had another Kickstarter for a discord/ Snapchat server-$35 000, she wants, for something that is set up for free.

Feminists lie, at least the current generation do.
    retalivity wrote: »
    Feminism: Not Even Once.

I'm reminded of Katy Perry, tbh. Bombshell...to whatever the fudge this was.

before-feminism-cernovich-media-after-feminism-katy-perry-was-a-25288010.png

She gave abuse to someone in the audience at a games convention, and yet the founders of the con apologised to her.

Is this the incident you're talking about?

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/features/2017/6/27/15880582/anita-sarkeesian-garbage-human-vidcon-interview

Feminists in general I never trust-look at the crap Anita Sarkeesian has pulled. She's had a ton of kicstarters/ Indiegogo campaigns for stuff such as her video game analysis-and has never finished up on any of them.
    And recently she had another Kickstarter for a discord/ Snapchat server-$35 000, she wants, for something that is set up for free.

Feminists lie, at least the current generation do.

I'm reminded of Katy Perry, tbh. Bombshell...to whatever the fudge this was.

before-feminism-cernovich-media-after-feminism-katy-perry-was-a-25288010.png
    Wow Katy looks like she just escaped from the mental hospital and broke into the local church seeking refuge :eek: Is that pic from one of her music videos or something?

grim..

That is so biased I'm sure Anita wrote it herself.

Yep-the only difference is there is video of her insulting the guy-no provocation. This article is completely biased BS, but what can you expect from polygon?
    Wow Katy looks like she just escaped from the mental hospital and broke into the local church seeking refuge :eek: Is that pic from one of her music videos or something?

I wish it was a music video-it was from a live stream called 'Witness World Wide'... where she also did therapy, transcendental meditation, and other crap.

The whole thing was widely ridiculed, as Katy Perry was trying to promote her album, and thought her audience was 'feministy'.... they weren't. In addition to this, she went anti-Trump too...bad move.
    Her album and singles flopped (which always happens when a performer tries to go 'feminist'-see also Amy Schumer's current career) and she's now trying to go back to her 'roots'. (This was a diss track meant for Taylor Swift-the only one getting dissed is Perry-including the 'guy stunt double' bit. This song will make your ears bleed, it's bad).

Taylor Swift on the other hand, knows to stay neutral and not be an idiot-her album and singles wiped the floor with Perry's.
    She gets a lot of bad mouthing from feminists because she won't 'pick a side'. But to me, that's being business savvy-everyone of all political denomincations likes music-they don't like being preached down to.
    https://metro.co.uk/2017/06/10/katy-perry-breaks-down-in-big-brother-style-live-stream-i-just-want-to-be-loved-6699342/

Kimbot wrote: »
    Brilliant quote from that: Originally Posted by KrustyUCC viewpost.gif
    Louise O'Neill: Yes, this is going to be a column about women changing their name after they get married

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ed-846541.html

Brilliant quote from that:

Quote:
    But, as my mother keeps reminding me, “that was their choice to do so. And, Louise, you keep saying feminism is about choice, don’t you?”

Ha ha love it.
    Mrs O'Neill: Feminism means letting women make their own choices.
    Louise: I'm all for that, Mother. As long as they choose exactly what I tell them to.

• Advertisement

Yep-the only difference is there is video of her insulting the guy-no provocation. This article is completely biased BS, but what can you expect from polygon?

The article is very biased and boring as fook - I gave up halfway. The thing is I didn't realise that the Carl Benjamin talked about in the article was Sargon of Akkad - one of the most vocal supporters of Gamergate and a pretty vicious critic of Sarkeesian and feminism. Him taking up the front rows of a women's panel at a games conference with a bunch of his followers was a move that was designed to provoke and it worked. And he gets to play the victim which is a win all around for him.

There's an interesting parallel for me between Sarkeesian and O'Neill in that 99.9% of time that I hear about them, it's because people are giving out about them, it's not from actually seeing or hearing them independently to that. I watched about 5-10 minutes of a Women vs Tropes (or whatever they are called) youtube videos, found it boring and got on with the rest of my life. It's her critics that ironically keep her relevant by constantly shít talking her - if they ignored, she disappear into obscurity. I guess some people need an Emmanuel Goldstein for their daily two minutes of hate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement