Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

That would plausibly if the character received no negative reactions from society in the story, as then it would be a case of just being about how she sees herself, but that's not the case at all, as all throughout the film we see her being negatively looked upon as if she is either very unattractive or very overweight (the wet t-shirt comp scene for example of the latter). For example of the former, here's a scene where the premise is clearly that this is first time a guy has ever asked for her number:

Don’t agree with you there. The places she received negative attention were places that attracted model types in NY. Basically the cycling class and in the modelling agency.

The message was very mixed but it was implied that it was her lack of confidence that caused her to not get asked out.

Her other two friends did fine with men.

She also did Bud Light commercials with Seth Rogan that went full feminist, including mentioning topics such as 'the pay gap' and how 'women's products are more expensive than men's'.

The adverts were pulled due to diminishing sales on the beer.

As for the linkage--you only have to look at how she disavowed her old 'persona' and went full on feminist instead. The reason for her movies flopping was because her own fanbase turned against her.

In no way has she disavowed her old persona. I do wonder if you’ve really engaged with her material. You’re basically using one ad as evidence of a supposedly failing career. Do you consider Seth Rogens career to be a failure because the ad was pulled?

Her fan base didn’t turn against her. There’s zero evidence of that. The aggressiveness towards her has always been the same kinds of people. Certainly not her fan base.

And while I had thought that snatched had flopped I just looked at the numbers and it actually didn’t. It pretty much broke even when you add in the marketing costs. Disappointing but not a flop. Even I Feel Pretty doesn’t really go into flop territory.

I think it’s likely she doesn’t sell Hollywood movies on name alone. I don’t think she ever did. Trainwreck got “big” on word of mouth. Which isn’t really surprising as it’s the best of her 3 movies. Snatched was pretty average for a US comedy so was never going to get the same word of mouth, and I Feel Pretty was plain bad. Again, she sells out arena tours so criticising her career is incredibly ridiculous. She’s doing pretty well for herself by any reasonable persons metrics.

I’m just wondering if you’ve watched her sketch show, seen a good portion of her standup, and read her book. As someone who has, The idea that she “went feminist” is laughable, whether she did an ad about the pay gap or not.

Her book is actually excellent by the way. I wasn’t expecting much after seeing Tina fey and Mindy kalings offerings but it’s really well written and brutally honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Blokes that can't get laid.
    If you're a self hating virgin and you blame women for being uppity and not giving you the ride then you're an incel.

I thought it was a typo - it's an actual word?

Given that I'm married with kids, and love myself considerably, I think I'm safe from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

I bet Rosemary McCabe is secretly hoping she gets a thread done next

Sometimes I forget that she and Una Mullally are actually separate people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,769 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What about poor Roisin Ingle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gravelly wrote: »
    I thought it was a typo - it's an actual word?

Given that I'm married with kids, and love myself considerably, I think I'm safe from it.

It's more than that-it's like they hate women for rejecting them. They're the kind of people many dating advisors/ Pick up artists won't touch with a barge pole. I think even one spoke out after a shooting in the usa where he said 'I'd have told him get help or therapy-he had deep seated issues that meant he had issues with women'.

It's not that 'hiring a prostitute' will solve their issues-they have deep seated issues.

Una can be logical once in a blue moon-Rosemary, nope. She's a loon.
    Compare Una's reaction to the Belfast rape trial verdict-it was reasoned, logical, and 'there are no winners here'. Then compare it to RMC's and LON's.
    Complete opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

It's interesting how you note comments sections disappearing. I used to read Huffington Post, up until they redesigned the website, changed the logo, and removed the comments section.

After that, they started to have articles like 'Hillary lost because of Sexism-and here's the proof'...then would have other articles claiming Russia was at fault. Not allowing a rebuttal.
    They have even deleted reporters, spontaneously, for going against the grain.

The site is widely mocked now-even John Oliver and SNL have had digs at it.

I think the comments sections disappearing just solidifies the opinions of anyone thinking "they just want to shut down dissent" and drives them to internet communities where they end up just giving out and venting all day.

Sure, maybe Polygon decided to shut down the comments section under their Anita Sarkeesian article because it would be full of vitriol and hate. Maybe.

So of course the people who don't agree with the article are going to look elsewhere for a place to discuss it.

You can see that with the Belfast trial where Boards was one of the few places where you could have serious and tough discussion about the case. Not just "I believe her". People want to talk about it but the actual platforms aren't really there.

This thread itself largely only exists because there is no other place for someone to challenge LON's views.

It's easy to silence opposition by characterizing it as harassment or hate or abuse but, let's be honest here, if LON was on a TV debate and her opponent just resorted to personal insults and abuse almost everyone who ever opposed her views in this thread would be screaming "ATTACK HER POINTS YOU IDIOT".

Some posters on Boards do a great job of taking LON's views apart but the mainstream, and maybe LON too, would more than likely characterize them as "Internet Trolls". So her views are protected and she never has to "debate" because she is allowed to simply "preach".

It’s true that Comments sections have been disappearing. I’ve never seen it linked to “liberals” or “SJWs” being unable to handle debate or trying to shut down dissenting opinion.

Cant find the reason the IT stopped doing comments but INM cited legal reasons relating to libel in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Where can I purchase tickets for this upcoming unification bout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Where can I purchase tickets for this upcoming unification bout?

As usual the patriarchy have this one by the metaphorical balls :P

Tickets shall be sold in conjunction with Eddie Hearn Ltd. & stubhub.

If you wish to watch on PPV you'll have to get in contact your sky box office provider or just transfer €25 directly into Eddie's personal account.

A gang of us are planning to just watch it in the pub and have an aul pinteen or two but that could be considered a toxically masculine activity so it may be best keep this as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

LLMMLL wrote: »
    It’s true that Comments sections have been disappearing. I’ve never seen it linked to “liberals” or “SJWs” being unable to handle debate or trying to shut down dissenting opinion.

Cant find the reason the IT stopped doing comments but INM cited legal reasons relating to libel in Ireland.

It's almost certainly legally tied to libel and hate speech. You can see it on the Guardian where the comment section is either available or not depending on the issue.

Can't blame them really as more and more outlets are struggling to stay afloat, that's why the paywalls are going up. Not every outlet will have Murdoch behind them to settle claims out of court.

Nothing to do with "snowflakes incapable of debate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

There are a lot of posters on this thread who I often forget are separate people. It's like they all blend into one, such is their lack of distinguishing features.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

It's more than that-it's like they hate women for rejecting them. They're the kind of people many dating advisors/ Pick up artists won't touch with a barge pole. I think even one spoke out after a shooting in the usa where he said 'I'd have told him get help or therapy-he had deep seated issues that meant he had issues with women'.

It's not that 'hiring a prostitute' will solve their issues-they have deep seated issues.

Una can be logical once in a blue moon-Rosemary, nope. She's a loon.
    Compare Una's reaction to the Belfast rape trial verdict-it was reasoned, logical, and 'there are no winners here'. Then compare it to RMC's and LON's.
    Complete opposite.

Una has better taste in music than Lon at least. You'd think Alanis Morrissette was the first ever woman in rock the way Lon goes on about Jagged Little Pill.

There are a lot of posters on this thread who I often forget are separate people. It's like they all blend into one, such is their lack of distinguishing features.

Not yourself obviously, you're a very, very special snowflake.

Not yourself obviously, you're a very, very special snowflake.

That kind of response is just one example.

That kind of response is just one example.

I was trying to make you feel special and unique, better than all the other boys and girls, but obviously I missed the target.

I was trying to make you feel special and unique, better than all the other boys and girls, but obviously I missed the target.

...and another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I often mistake you for Grayson.

I often mistake you for Grayson.

Funny so do I! Wonder if they're related, or if they just did the same gender studies course.

• Advertisement

Funny so do I! Wonder if they're related, or if they just did the same gender studies course.

Any one of you could have posted that.

Any one of you could have posted that.

True, but I did.

True, but I did.

Well done.

Well done.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's funny all these accusations of twin posters and doppelgangers because on another thread I just compiled my ultimate guest list for the LON vs R Mc C match and a few have popped up.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Grayson
    Dr Brown
    end_of_the_road
    Snake Pilsken
    WinnyThePoo
    SnakePlissken
    weldoninhio
    Odhinn
    A Pint of Goo
    Hapax Legomenon
    David_Lyons
    The Backwards Man
    Pero Bueno
    Captain Obvious

Would make for a lovely dinner party

Hapax can't make it he said :(

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I think the comments sections disappearing just solidifies the opinions of anyone thinking "they just want to shut down dissent" and drives them to internet communities where they end up just giving out and venting all day.

Sure, maybe Polygon decided to shut down the comments section under their Anita Sarkeesian article because it would be full of vitriol and hate. Maybe.

So of course the people who don't agree with the article are going to look elsewhere for a place to discuss it.

You can see that with the Belfast trial where Boards was one of the few places where you could have serious and tough discussion about the case. Not just "I believe her". People want to talk about it but the actual platforms aren't really there.

This thread itself largely only exists because there is no other place for someone to challenge LON's views.

It's easy to silence opposition by characterizing it as harassment or hate or abuse but, let's be honest here, if LON was on a TV debate and her opponent just resorted to personal insults and abuse almost everyone who ever opposed her views in this thread would be screaming "ATTACK HER POINTS YOU IDIOT".

Some posters on Boards do a great job of taking LON's views apart but the mainstream, and maybe LON too, would more than likely characterize them as "Internet Trolls". So her views are protected and she never has to "debate" because she is allowed to simply "preach".

I think Brendan O'Connor's show was one of the few that did-but it seems to have been toned down or something, because I don't remember too many intriguing discussions in the last year or so-so I've kind of gone off of it.
    LLMMLL wrote: »

Daily Mail gets bashed a lot, but it allows debate in the comments section. Deletes the libel stuff, and if things get bad, shuts the comments section on a page.So I respect it, even if I disagree heavily with its ethos.
    Una has better taste in music than Lon at least. You'd think Alanis Morrissette was the first ever woman in rock the way Lon goes on about Jagged Little Pill.

Alanis is a product, a heavily manufactured 'Britney to Heavy Metaller' and is just pap, tbh. So heavily manufactured, LON was bound to like her.
    Some of these bands...their music ages worse than a ten year old tomato. And Alanis stuff is painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Alanis is a product, a heavily manufactured 'Britney to Heavy Metaller' and is just pap, tbh. So heavily manufactured, LON was bound to like her.
    Some of these bands...their music ages worse than a ten year old tomato. And Alanis stuff is painful.

She's not a patch on Liz Phair, Juliana Hatfield or Courtney Love.

I remember Imdb had to cut out their comments section-nasty stuff said there.

The Journal.ie had a really bad reputation for their comments section...so they made it the blandest 'safe space' comment section you could imagine. Nobody goes there anymore.
    She's not a patch on Liz Phair, Juliana Hatfield or Courtney Love.

Remember when she was everywhere? Like, seriously, she popped up in tv shows like Sex and the City, was cast as 'God' in Dogma... (like, just, no, no Kevin Smith-this is why you have no credibility)...people thought she was the second coming of Christ...going to save us from terrible music whilst she made terrible music.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    It's funny all these accusations of twin posters and doppelgangers because on another thread I just compiled my ultimate guest list for the LON vs R Mc C match and a few have popped up.

Hapax can't make it he said :(

Pint of Goo was banned-turned out to be a really creepy individual. Like, #Metoo bad.
    You can find the topic where he plyed a girl with alcohol to make her cheat on her boyfriend... essentially devastating her.

How I'd imagine a LON vs RMC fight might go down.

tumblr_n17cpj2QPi1ttsc69o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/1004914851347607557

Moaning about having to get a taxi from Vienna to Budapest, but sure that's the same distance as it is between Dublin and Cork and she must have done that in a taxi a few times.

Oh no, wait....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement