Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Omackeral wrote: »
    Louise 1-0 Laura

Laura 2-1 Louise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

2smiggy wrote: »
    what's the crack with all the rings ? :confused:

She insisted that her daddy buy them for her after she heard the song. Apparently she got them instead of a weeks pocket money.

So men, if you really are #WithUs and would like us to not hate you for all the millennia of woe you have produced and benefited from, start with this: Lean out so we can actually just stand up without being beaten down. Pledge to vote for feminist women only. Don’t run for office. Don’t be in charge of anything. Step away from the power. We got this. And please know that your crocodile tears won’t be wiped away by us anymore. We have every right to hate you. You have done us wrong. #BecausePatriarchy. It is long past time to play hard for Team Feminism. And win.

A professor of sociology and director of the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program at Northeastern University ladies and gentlemen. I can see where Louise O'Neill has learned her craft if this is what is being taught (albeit in the states). Feminism is arguably about equality, but according to this professor its about women being in charge after men had their turn. Very, very difficult to get behind this kind of movement. I used to consider myself a feminist.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nonsense, she is the leader of a revolution.

Laura Whitmore can lead my revolution anytime. A future Taoiseach/President of Ireland in my opinion.

A professor of sociology and director of the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program at Northeastern University ladies and gentlemen. I can see where Louise O'Neill has learned her craft if this is what is being taught (albeit in the states). Feminism is arguably about equality, but according to this professor its about women being in charge after men had their turn. Very, very difficult to get behind this kind of movement. I used to consider myself a feminist.

When did I get 'my turn' to be in charge of women? :rolleyes:

And Feminism is about women's rights. Not equality. Seeking equality is a promotional marketing pitch. Once they've reached equality they'll keep marching past it, (as they already have in many areas). It's the usual BS. We deserve and desire equality for everyone, but.... since "men" had a superior position in the past, we deserve that same superior position now. Less equality... women can do better in control than men.

I've never been a feminist. I am egalitarian, but I'm starting to think that genuine equality is not going to happen in my lifetime. We'll see a more skewed society of rights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This is just right wing ideology being peddled to a new audience, not judging entire groups because of the actions of a few is generally rule number one of social left wing beliefs

It's basically the 'why don't muslims protest out on the street after ISIS attacks' argument, which is flatly rejected by any properly thinking left supporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Laura Whitmore can lead my revolution anytime. A future Taoiseach/President of Ireland in my opinion.

I hate that stupid Marxist term, Equality. It has become one of these awful buzzwords.

A Professor of Sociology and Director of the Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program at Northeastern University
    This is just right wing ideology being peddled to a new audience, not judging entire groups because of the actions of a few is generally rule number one of social left wing beliefs

It's basically the 'why don't muslims protest out on the street after ISIS attacks' argument, which is flatly rejected by any properly thinking left supporter

Me:

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The WP comment section is gold though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

2smiggy wrote: »
    what's the crack with all the rings ? :confused:

Papa Lazarou in disguise possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Papa Lazarou in disguise possibly.

tumblr_lz3hzhfV8r1qfnfsa.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I saw on RTE News this evening that LON's book, 'Asking for it', has been ported over to the stage.

You know in sci-fi Tv/movies when they do the parallel universe thing, an old trope, where things are the opposite of how you know them to be. Like you have a friend that is nice as pie and in the parallel universe they are an evil dictator?

Well I'm beginning to think I'm living in a parallel universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

AllForIt wrote: »
    I saw on RTE News this evening that LON's book, 'Asking for it', has been ported over to the stage.

You know in sci-fi Tv/movies when they do the parallel universe thing, an old trope, where things are the opposite of how you know them to be. Like you have a friend that is nice as pie and in the parallel universe they are an evil dictator?

Well I'm beginning to think I'm living in a parallel universe.

It was on the news? Really? It probably didn't even make the Radio in Cork...never mind the national news.

Fer gawds sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Couldn't believe it myself but yeah, was on the Six One news earlier.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1006604148635250688

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

World premiere :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

God lord...Rte's standards have fallen. Either that or a no-news day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Some fine mental gymnastics there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

God lord...Rte's standards have fallen. Either that or a no-news day.

It's the usual RTE thing - someone in there is connected to her in some way, so this got free publicity. You can be guaranteed she'll get a few cushy gigs in RTE over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gravelly wrote: »
    It's the usual RTE thing - someone in there is connected to her in some way, so this got free publicity. You can be guaranteed she'll get a few cushy gigs in RTE over the next few years.

Let's hope its a weekly appearance only. The poor mother will be bate from driving to and from Dublin.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Let's hope its a weekly appearance only. The poor mother will be bate from driving to and from Dublin.

That boy she's going out with might have a spare room in his mom's house she could use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Whats this about Laura Whitmore ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That boy she's going out with might have a spare room in his mom's house she could use.

In his Chambers, if you will?

Couldn't believe it myself but yeah, was on the Six One news earlier.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1006604148635250688

Jayzus........

Jayzus........

Love the last comment on the tweet. Bet that guy won't be on the Christmas card list.

Love the last comment on the tweet. Bet that guy won't be on the Christmas card list.

haha just seen that now. Succinctly put.

Whats this about Laura Whitmore ??

Er... Never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

World premiere :)

It reminds me of Del boy's van.

New York * Paris * Cork

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some fine mental gymnastics there.
    The world has little place for western anger. Westerners are supposed to support, not condemn, offer succor not dismissal. We’re supposed to feel more empathy for your fear of being called a terrorist than we are for the westerners killed. We are told he’s with us and #NotAllMuslims. But, truly, if he were with us, wouldn’t this all have ended a long time ago? If he really were with us, wouldn’t he reckon that one good way to change structural violence and terrorism would be to refuse the religion that comes with it?

There are people here creaming themselves right now reading this and it didn't take any mental gymnastics, just changing a handful of words. The target has changed but not the ideology

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Lol, I know that Paul Lee guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement