Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Oh God...I thought covering LON's 'World Premiere' was bland news- tonight the news featured a story about a flipping Raccoon in a building...

...still more relevant than LON, tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

The raccoon is cute, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,497 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The racoon is a metaphor for third wave femimism - scaling that unassailable wall to the top, like all women struggle, against such rabid opression from the testicular tyranny that has reigned for thousands of years. I am reminded of Kate Bush and her prophetic words from Running up that Hill, although now with more cock and balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

retalivity wrote: »
    The racoon is a metaphor for third wave femimism - scaling that unassailable wall to the top, like all women struggle, against such rabid opression from the testicular tyranny that has reigned for thousands of years. I am reminded of Kate Bush and her prophetic words from Running up that Hill, although now with more cock and balls.

When we gonna get the movie about that Raccoon...like, he's the hero we need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

'If I ever get woke, put me to sleep'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,533 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Consent is s pretty topical issue these days. It’s hardly unexpected that it would be represented in art or that it would get publicity.

It’s positive that consent is being discussed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's grand discussing it. When stuff like ''all young men need to....'' gets trotted out I take umbrage. No need to demonise our young men. If a discussion is to be had, it should be for everyone.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's grand discussing it. When stuff like ''all young men need to....'' gets trotted out I take umbrage. No need to demonise our young men. If a discussion is to be had, it should be for everyone.

Should? What makes you think there’s a place for ‘should’? In reality, those who are proactive will be heard and will have an influence on the culture.

Say what you like about LON but she’s getting out there and creating content on the topic. People with opposing views should get their thinking caps on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Consent is s pretty topical issue these days. It’s hardly unexpected that it would be represented in art or that it would get publicity.

You mean its profitable these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Should? What makes you think there’s a place for ‘should’? In reality, those who are proactive will be heard and will have an influence on the culture.

Say what you like about LON but she’s getting out there and creating content on the topic. People with opposing views should get their thinking caps on.

I don't get this attitude.

Opposing views are shut down pretty quickly and not given a similar platform.

It's good that she's creating content on the topic but it becomes bad when she controls the discussion of the topic or when she has enforcers who will shut down opposition.

You just say "well it's positive that the topic is being discussed" but that's not necessarily true.

Is the topic even really being "discussed" or is one particular viewpoint being broadcast at the expense of all others?

There's a difference between a discussion and a sermon.

• Advertisement

Jordan Peterson is a pretty good antithesis to her. He promotes responsibility of the individual rather than blaming society as a whole.

markodaly wrote: »

You mean its profitable these days.

It may be profitable. It’s certainly topical. As above, it’s not surprising it’s the subject of art.

Maxpfizer wrote: »

I don't get this attitude.

Opposing views are shut down pretty quickly and not given a similar platform.

It's good that she's creating content on the topic but it becomes bad when she controls the discussion of the topic or when she has enforcers who will shut down opposition.

You just say "well it's positive that the topic is being discussed" but that's not necessarily true.

Is the topic even really being "discussed" or is one particular viewpoint being broadcast at the expense of all others?

There's a difference between a discussion and a sermon.

Well it’s a play so it won’t exactly be either a discussion or a sermon. You could buy a ticket and see it, then you’ll know.

I don't really know what opposing views would be, but they probably should get their message out there.

Jordan Peterson is a pretty good antithesis to her. He promotes responsibility of the individual rather than blaming society as a whole.

What does he have to say about consent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

who or what is louise oneill? is she like a newer version of that geebag una mullaly?

No idea frankly. I imagine he'd blame the individual rapist for the crime rather than blaming society as a whole for fostering apparent rape culture. Do you understand how insulting it is to be told that I have to learn to not rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

neris wrote: »
    who or what is louise oneill? is she like a newer version of that geebag una mullaly?

worse - if that's possible.

No idea frankly. I imagine he'd blame the individual rapist for the crime rather than blaming society as a whole for fostering apparent rape culture. Do you understand how insulting it is to be told that I have to learn to not rape.

And what about personal responsibility of the individual man or woman to know what they do and don’t consent to?

I don’t see it as being told not to rape. It’s about discussing and learning about consent. I’ll bet paddy Jackson wishes he didn't assume consent.

It’s giving men and women the information they need to protect themselves. LON has created a play which contributes to that discussion. Fair play - pardon the pun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

It's topical among radical man-hating twitter feminists; metropolitan, liberal journalists and a few posters' here. It isn't topical among the general public.

And what about personal responsibility of the individual man or woman to know what they do and don’t consent to?

I don’t see it as being told not to rape. It’s about discussing and learning about consent. I’ll bet paddy Jackson wishes he didn't assume consent.

It’s giving men and women the information they need to protect themselves. LON has created a play which contributes to that discussion. Fair play - pardon the pun.

Well watch her documentary and you will find she says exactly that. There were posters put up when I was in college in an effort to bring up the conversation of consent but they started from a position of assuming that men are rapists.

I fully agree that consent should be taught to everyone beginning in primary school. It should be part of sex education and reinforced as you grow up.

But saying "we need to teach our boys not to rape" is throwing me in with rapists and is needlessly incendiary. It's belittling the average man and normalising rapists.

I should probably just get over that she said that once but its a common theme with her writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Consent Classes.

Scenario 1
    Me: You wanna ****?
    Her: No.
    Me: :(
    No sex.

Scenario 2
    Her: Yeah lets do it.
    Me: :D
    And we have sex.

Class dismissed.

It's topical among radical man-hating twitter feminists; metropolitan, liberal journalists and a few posters' here. It isn't topical among the general public.

Lol. LON making a play about it is nothing for you to worry about then.

Oh, there was a court case earlier in the year which centred around the nature of consent. You probably didn’t hear about it if it was only discussed among ‘radical man-hating twitter feminists; metropolitan, liberal journalists and a few posters' here’. Lol.

Well watch her documentary and you will find she says exactly that. There were posters put up when I was in college in an effort to bring up the conversation of consent but they started from a position of assuming that men are rapists.

I fully agree that consent should be taught to everyone beginning in primary school. It should be part of sex education and reinforced as you grow up.

But saying "we need to teach our boys not to rape" is throwing me in with rapists and is needlessly incendiary. It's belittling the average man and normalising rapists.

I should probably just get over that she said that once but its a common theme with her writing.

I agree that consent should be taught to children. It’s pretty important stuff.

You can’t fault LON for getting her message out there. It would be great if there were more people willing to be a part of the discussion and offer other viewpoints. It doesn’t seem to be happening though.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Consent Classes.

Scenario 1
    Her: No.
    Me: :(
    No sex.

Scenario 2
    Her: Yeah lets do it.
    Me: :D
    And we have sex.

Class dismissed.

That’s certainly a good start. You’re trivialising the issue but it’s is that honestly the way you would talk to a stranger about sex?

There’s actually a lot more nuance to consent than that, but it’s good for opponents of consent discussions to highlight their own lack of knowledge.

That’s certainly a good start. You’re trivialising the issue but it’s is that honestly the way you would talk to a stranger about sex?

There’s actually a lot more nuance to consent than that, but it’s good for opponents of consent discussions to highlight their own lack of knowledge.

Mate, you can dress it up in all the fluffy language you want but when you break it all down, what I wrote sums it all up.

Mate, you can dress it up in all the fluffy language you want but when you break it all down, what I wrote sums it all up.

If that’s what you think then you probably won’t bother to take part in the discussion. Then you’ll be upset when you find out that other people have been shaping opinions and spreading information and you don’t understand it.

The usual story with men's rights. Somehow it’s LON’s fault for actually engaging with the topic and trying to move the discussion forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Agree to a point but also plenty of times organic consensual sex happens. Plenty of times it's gotten hot and heavy and physical communication and/or body language just takes it's course. Sometimes that's how it goes. Doesn't always have to be a YES or NO verbalised. If a 'no' is verbalised, you'd better stop what you're doing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Finger pain Rape culture? I thought I had gum talk of a TV station coming! That tears it! Shame on you, and shame on you...

Agree to a point but also plenty of times organic consensual sex happens. Plenty of times it's gotten hot and heavy and physical communication and/or body language just takes it's course. Sometimes that's how it goes. Doesn't always have to be a YES or NO verbalised. If a 'no' is verbalised, you'd better stop what you're doing though.

Ah, so there is more than one way to discuss it. But somehow LON is an eejit for actually discussing it.

You’d do young no favours by telling them as simple and without nuance as outlined above. But that’s probably LON’s fault too. Lol.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. And obviously. Do you and El Dude think I'm being literal? I'm just saying that it comes down ask permission, then listen to the answer. Generally a good rule for doing anything that involves another person or their property.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement