Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sexual consent is all about inferences. Rarely if ever do people ask for sexual consent. It's just not reality.

Consent is more often than not conveyed rather than verbally given, which is of course why it's so frustrating listening to people suggesting (/ making laws) that say someone must have been given a verbal 'Yes' otherwise they have committed rape.

This is why the Cup of Tea analogy was so ridiculous a few years back.

If someone has reasonably inferred that they have consent (and the person is not in a state which would render them legally incapable of giving it) then they are having consensual sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,533 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Absolutely. And obviously. Do you and El Dude think I'm being literal? I'm just saying that it comes down ask permission, then listen to the answer. Generally a good rule for doing anything that involves another person or their property.

Oh no. I think you’ve sarcastically described a way it doesn’t happen, then assumed you’ve described exactly how it happens.

I don’t have any confidence you know what you’re talking about.

Sexual consent is all about inferences. Rarely if ever do people ask for sexual consent. It's just not reality.

Consent is more often than not conveyed rather than verbally given, which is of course why it's so frustrating listening to people suggesting (/ making laws) that say someone must have been given a verbal 'Yes' otherwise they have committed rape.

This is why the Cup of Tea analogy was so ridiculous a few years back.

If someone has reasonably inferred that they have consent (and the person is not in a state which would render them legally incapable of giving it) then they are having consensual sex.

It’s “all about inference’ that’s not so clear cut all of a sudden.

So Is everyone still agreed LON is stooopid for wanting to actually add to the discussion about consent?

So Is everyone still agreed LON is stooopid for wanting to actually add to the discussion about consent?

I think stooopid in the way she goes about it outside of her fictional works

I think stooopid in the way she goes about it outside of her fictional works

But it’s actually quite a worthwhile discussion and she’s an active part of that discussion. Might be a bit difficult to admit that after all the guff spouted about her in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Oh no. I think you’ve sarcastically described a way it doesn’t happen, then assumed you’ve described exactly how it happens.

I don’t have any confidence you know what you’re talking about.

I'm talking about consent classes for adults. They're BS. Its simple: if you have permission then go for it. If you don't have permission, stop. Any adult that can't understand that is a asshole.

Now if you are talking consent classes as part of a comprehensive sex education program that should begin in primary school, then yes that's a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In her own words, we have a rape culture here in Ireland. I wouldn't want my children being educated or taking pointers from someone who holds that opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

But it’s actually quite a worthwhile discussion and she’s an active part of that discussion. Might be a bit difficult to admit that after all the guff spouted about her in this thread

Active part of the discussion...or using certain events to further her own agenda more like. Screaming in a cottage because of some BS claim about a facebook page sharing nudes...that was found to not exist after a thorough investigation.

Using the Belfast case to promote her book after a verdict was reached, in a country with a judicial system that's nothing like the republic.
    Screaming about 'privilege' then ignoring incidents where women are targeted or violently and horrifically raped by people who don't 'fit her agenda'...

Lon isn't a part of 'the discussion'-O'Neill is using horrific events to further her profile, sell her wares, and increase her bank balance.

Profiteering from ideological propaganda, while actually ignoring genuine issues. She's a misery merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Sigh.
    Another thread ruined.

WifPHr

What are you on about "all of a sudden". It's been discussed to death on the site.

The last LON thread just one example.

Also, the only ones saying it's "clear cut" are those that say it's rape if a verbal Yes hasn't been received.

You're making a strawman argument. Nobody said she was stoopid for wanting to discuss consent. What people take issue with is her trying to push the notion that we live in a rape culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Nobody said she was stoopid for wanting to discuss consent. ..
    He knows dude. He knows.

Zulu wrote: »
    Sigh.
    Another thread ruined.

WifPHr

I'm sorry if I contributed to it.

I'm talking about consent classes for adults. They're BS. Its simple: if you have permission then go for it. If you don't have permission, stop. Any adult that can't understand that is a asshole.

Now if you are talking consent classes as part of a comprehensive sex education program that should begin in primary school, then yes that's a good thing.

Hold your horses. ‘ If you don't have permission, stop. Any adult that can't understand that is a asshole’ how exactly do you know if you have permission or not?

The most explicit way is to simply check verbally. The other poster said it’s ‘all about inference’ and body language. Some people don’t get inference and body language it’s a common symptom of autism spectrum disorders. Are those people assholes in you opinion?

I am talking about consent classes for children, but I also think it’s important for adults to discuss it. Why on earth would anyone say it’s a good idea for children to learn about it but not a good idea for adults to discuss it?

I suppose this is all just ‘fluffy language’ since you summed it all up in your pithy post earlier.

Zulu wrote: »
    Nobody said she was stoopid for wanting to discuss consent. ..
    He knows dude. He knows.
    How’s ignoring me going for you? You just can’t quit me Zulu. Ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hold your horses. ‘ If you don't have permission, stop. Any adult that can't understand that is a asshole’ how exactly do you know if you have permission or not?

I believe the best way is to Tweet LON. Ask her if you have permission.

I'm sorry if I contributed to it.

That’s ok tap out any time you need to

But lots of other people aren’t finished talking about it. LON isn’t sorry she’s contributing to it and she probably going to continue contributing to it. If men don’t contribute to the discussion then that’s fine. The discussion will go on regardless, tings will change and men will wonder why the world is changing and they don’t understand it.

Naturally, he choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Ha, you're one to talk about guff. You spray your nonsense over every single thread you're in.

I believe the best way is to Tweet LON. Ask her if you have permission.

That’s grand. There’s a real discussion about this stuff happening out there. You seem to think you have it all sussed to the extent that you only seem to discuss it in sarcasm. As I said earlier, I don’t have any confidence that you have a clue what you’re talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I just got invited to see this play at the weekend. My friend is involved in the production. May even get to meet the lovely lady herself :pac:
    I’m thinking of excuses as we speak.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »

Ha, you're one to talk about guff. You spray your nonsense over every single thread you're in.

It’s just a chat. Geez. Take it easy.

You don’t have to take party if you don’t have anything to contribute. If you have something to contribute, it might be interesting to hear it.

That’s ok tap out any time you need to

But lots of other people aren’t finished talking about it. LON isn’t sorry she’s contributing to it and she probably going to continue contributing to it. If men don’t contribute to the discussion then that’s fine. The discussion will go on regardless, tings will change and men will wonder why the world is changing and they don’t understand it.

Naturally, he choice is yours.

I was responding to Zulu-I'm not tapping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

I just got invited to see this play at the weekend. My friend is involved in the production. May even get to meet the lovely lady herself :pac:

would be amusing to see how insufferable she is...heard stories of her being difficult

Periscope it!

I mean the LON meeting, not the play :P

would be amusing to see how insufferable she is...heard stories of her being difficult

Yeah, you can get the inside scoop.

And of course she can difficult-her mam tried to feed her her mushy peas at the weekend. She threw a right strop, pulled off the bib-threw her plastic bowl on the ground...

Apparently airplane's trigger her.

Oh no. Go and report back! The regulars will dine out on a bad review for weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You don’t have to take party if you don’t have anything to contribute. If you have something to contribute, it might be interesting to hear it.

Despite your endless pontificating, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone credible who believes your posts contribute anything. Apologies if I hurt your feelings.

I was responding to Zulu-I'm not tapping out.

Delighted to hear it. The conversation is happening whether or not men take an active part. Better that men stay engaged and shape the discussion

givyjoe wrote: »

Despite your endless pontificating, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone credible who believes your posts contribute anything. Apologies if I hurt your feelings.

Thanks brah. No hurt feelings. Like I said, if you have something to contribute it might be interesting to hear it. If you can’t contribute, feel free to lob an insult or 2 and retreat.

It’s actually an interesting topic of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

take one for the team and go. if you do meet her ask does she not feel anyway guilty having her mother run around after her

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement