Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

Sexual consent is all about inferences. Rarely if ever do people ask for sexual consent. It's just not reality.

Consent is more often than not conveyed rather than verbally given, which is of course why it's so frustrating listening to people suggesting (/ making laws) that say someone must have been given a verbal 'Yes' otherwise they have committed rape.

This is why the Cup of Tea analogy was so ridiculous a few years back.

If someone has reasonably inferred that they have consent (and the person is not in a state which would render them legally incapable of giving it) then they are having consensual sex.

The danger is the flexibility that "withdrawal of consent" is being applied. While people are suggesting that consent should be verbally given (which as you said isn't done that often, and perhaps only with a stranger), withdrawal of consent can be verbal, non-verbal, or after the event.

This is why consent is becoming such a thorny issue. It isn't so much about when consent is actually being given, but when it is being withdrawn, or breaking down into parts what consent was given. She gave consent for oral sex but not for penetrative sex, and yet, no verbal rejection or objection was given until after the fact. etc. These kind of examples are becoming more common as real life cases, rather than bizarre examples on a discussion board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Oh no. Go and report back! The regulars will dine out on a bad review for weeks!

Well, as I said earlier in the thread, it could actually be a good play and I (genuinely) hope it is as I go to see all plays at the Abbey and won't be making an exception for this.

I haven't read the book but I did watch the docu on the Steubenville case and so there is no reason why a play based around it set in Ireland (which is basically what this is) shouldn't be a good one.

Especially if the playwright has plugged some of the reported holes in the plot with her adaption and dialed back on some of the victimhood nonsense within it and also some of the more bizarre sections of it on evidence in the following clip of a reading she gave.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'm talking about consent classes for adults. They're BS. Its simple: if you have permission then go for it. If you don't have permission, stop. Any adult that can't understand that is a asshole.

Now if you are talking consent classes as part of a comprehensive sex education program that should begin in primary school, then yes that's a good thing.

And as part of those consent classes (that both genders attend), they should be taught a variety of ways to express "no". Not relying on vague body-language, or expecting the guy to read her mind.

I see no problem with these kind of classes if it's approached in an even-handed manner, although I suspect it'll follow in the steps of women's classes in University, and a way to beat males up about rape.

In my experience, any woman who didn't want sex with me, was very expressive about it. Still, no doubt the rejoinder would be... how would I know? I might have raped someone without knowing it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Delighted to hear it. The conversation is happening whether or not men take an active part. Better that men stay engaged and shape the discussion

Did you just assume my gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bae

maxresdefault.jpg
    What the 'ell did she do? Mug Mr T?

• Advertisement

What the 'ell did she do? Mug Mr T?

I pity the foo'!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That’s grand. There’s a real discussion about this stuff happening out there. You seem to think you have it all sussed to the extent that you only seem to discuss it in sarcasm. As I said earlier, I don’t have any confidence that you have a clue what you’re talking about.

Well I've been sexually active for over 25 years without raping anyone so maybe I do know a little bit about what I'm saying. And that was without consent classes :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Delighted to hear it. The conversation is happening whether or not men take an active part. Better that men stay engaged and shape the discussion

Let us know when it's over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,533 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The danger is the flexibility that "withdrawal of consent" is being applied. While people are suggesting that consent should be verbally given (which as you said isn't done that often, and perhaps only with a stranger), withdrawal of consent can be verbal, non-verbal, or after the event.

This is why consent is becoming such a thorny issue. It isn't so much about when consent is actually being given, but when it is being withdrawn, or breaking down into parts what consent was given. She gave consent for oral sex but not for penetrative sex, and yet, no verbal rejection or objection was given until after the fact. etc. These kind of examples are becoming more common as real life cases, rather than bizarre examples on a discussion board.

This is exactly it. Consent can be given for certain acts but not for others. And consent can be withdrawn after it’s given. But I can’t imagine how consent can be given and consensual sex happens while, then consent can be retrospectively withdrawn. How does that work?

It’s this something which should he openly discussed and thrashed our? Or are you happy to let LON do all the work and shape the discussion, then complain that your view isn’t represented?

This is exactly it. Consent can be given for certain acts but not for others. And consent can be withdrawn after it’s given. But I can’t imagine how consent can be given and consensual sex happens while, then consent can be retrospectively withdrawn. How does that work?

It’s this something which should he openly discussed and thrashed our? Or are you happy to let LON do all the work and shape the discussion, then complain that your view isn’t represented?

• Advertisement

And as part of those consent classes (that both genders attend), they should be taught a variety of ways to express "no". Not relying on vague body-language, or expecting the guy to read her mind.

I see no problem with these kind of classes if it's approached in an even-handed manner, although I suspect it'll follow in the steps of women's classes in University, and a way to beat men up

Stall the ball horse. ‘No’ should be expressed clearly and verbally. No relying on vague body language or mind reading.

How then should ‘yes’ be expressed? Through a clear verbal ‘yes’ not relying on vague body language or mind reading?

Or should the ‘yes’ be deduced through vague body language and mind reading but the ‘no’ be clearly and verbally expressed?

Why would there be different approaches to expressing yes and no?

Completely agree about education for children btw.

Let us know when it's over

Your peers will let you know when it’s over. When LON and other interested parties have shaped the culture, your peers will be be crying, pissing, whinging and moaning full time.

Stall the ball horse. ‘No’ should be expressed clearly and verbally. No relying on vague body language or mind reading.

How then should ‘yes’ be expressed? Through a clear verbal ‘yes’ not relying on vague body language or mind reading?

Or should the ‘yes’ be deduced through vague body language and mind reading but the ‘no’ be clearly and verbally expressed?

Why would there be different approaches to expressing yes and no?

Completely agree about education for children btw.

That's great. Now, can we get back to Louise?

Well I've been sexually active for over 25 years without raping anyone so maybe I do know a little bit about what I'm saying. And that was without consent classes :eek:
    Legend

Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

But I can’t imagine how consent can be given and consensual sex happens while, then consent can be retrospectively withdrawn. How does that work?

It's basically a get out of jail free card for a woman who has had to much to drink and regrets her action from the night before.

Now you can say the man should have known better which is true but if both are under the influence why is it only the male who is held responsibly for their actions?

That's great. Now, can we get back to Louise?

Heaven forbid you discuss anything of substance about what LON is actually doing.

Back to the ‘LON is such an eejit’ circle jerk.

I’ll get you started, ahem.

Gawd lads LON is such an eejit. She’s out there discussing culturally relevant issues and creating art on the topics, adding to the discussion and shaping the culture. What an eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

uR8H3P

sjwjQju.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Heaven forbid you discuss anything of substance about what LON is actually doing.

Gawd lads LON is such an eejit. She’s out there discussing culturally relevant issues and creating art on the topics, adding to the discussion and shaping the culture. What an eejit.

Yes yes yes

It's basically a get out of jail free card for a woman who has had to much to drink and regrets her action from the night before.

Now you can say the man should have known better which is true but if both are under the influence why is it only the male who is held responsibly for their actions?

Well it was trumped by paddy Jackson’s ‘assumed consent’ card under NI law. I’d disagree with anyone who says removing consent after the act is a valid action. Who supports removing consent after the fact?

But the locals don’t want to discuss that, they want to get back to the circle jerk

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    uR8H3P

sjwjQju.jpg

Ah Zulu, I just get invalid image message for all your images. I’ll just assume they’re terribly clever and they’re where you put all your wit when posting to me.

You’re not as good at ignoring me as you think.

You are 100 per cent on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

.. your peers will be be crying, pissing, whinging and moaning full time.

Classic el duderino. It's no wonder so many are eager to debate with you. Honestly, I would really really love to know what your gripe with men really is. Some would say that's all LON does, piss moan and whinge full time and get paid for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Are you calling her phoning it in chick lit art?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Legend

Thanks. Hope LON thinks so too. Now please tell us more about her "art".

Yet LON and co believe you can withdraw consent after the whole encounter-so if a man and woman engage in coitus, and both enjoy it, the woman can withdraw consent a week later, and claim rape.

Or withdraw consent 20 years later, and cry rape.

The also do the 'believe the rapist'-but if one were to accuse LON or her cohorts of rape, knowingly and falsely, we would have to believe the accuser? That's what LON believes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Your peers will let you know when it’s over. When LON and other interested parties have shaped the culture, your peers will be be crying, pissing, whinging and moaning full time.

This is hilarious. Bravo!

I doubt it-when less and less girls and women identify with O'Neill and company, our 'peers' will be moving on with their lives.

Not whining Trump won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

To be fair this thread has gone on longer than anyone would have predicted.

LON and those like her are like those self help charlatans that emerged back in the 80s in the States, they prey on weak willed individuals desperate for something to grasp to...anything will do....and good luck to them.

Modern feminism is a pile of nonsense, it is class driven, using gender as a shield! How many women working on zero hour contracts in sh#t conditions in this very country would identify with Irish modern day feminism, indeed how many Irish feminists reach out to those mostly foreign national women who serve up those afternoon teas, clean those hotel rooms, vacuum the homes of the wealthy, etc...absolutely none...feminists don't even see those women, they cannot relate to them. They are only concerned with equality for SOME women, you know, their own kind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Doesn't matter, sure Tommy Tiernan has six kids and she still lectured him on consent and even at one point gave him some patronizing applause and a cheer (the kind you might give a toddler when they've eat up all their din dins) when he said something in the context of consent which she approved of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement