Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Who asked her to tweet the apology is what I want to know.

Olaf had his legal team threaten legal against a bunch of Irish accounts.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/politician-faces-legal-action-over-article-she-retweeted-9n97blrjn?
    An Irish politician is facing defamation proceedings after she retweeted an article that contained allegations against the Hot Press writer Olaf Tyaransen.

KRW Law, a legal firm based in Belfast, sent letters to leading feminists on behalf of Mr Tyaransen, 47, after they shared the article on Twitter earlier this year. The piece was written by Brooke Magnanti, the feminist and writer.

Ms O’Neill said she could not comment further. Mr Tyaransen said he would not pursue defamation proceedings against her in light of the apology.

He said the experience of being accused of something so serious had been the most sickening experience of his life. He said he denied the allegations made against him in the article shared by Ms O’Neill.

A female politician has also received a letter from solicitors acting on behalf of KRW Law. Mr Tyaransen said he had requested an apology from a female politician and that he would be issuing defamation proceedings against her if it were not forthcoming.

The Times understands that the politician’s solicitor was still in contact with Mr Tyaransen’s legal team at the time of print, and that there had still been an expectation of the issue being resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I do wonder what they're going to do now that most stores have gone automatic checkouts. Where are they going to end up working instead?

They’ll have to move into other careers. They could push to broaden gender quotas into your profession.

Or they could just ‘marry up’ with a guy they don’t fancy and swan around in a white BMW. Then they can use their free time to campaign for feminist issues.

That’s how it works, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I suspect difficulty (of the job itself), and being rather physical plays a large part. Being checkout staff or floor staff rarely requires any heavy physical work, is unlikely to push you out into the normal Irish weather, and allows you to 'chat' easily with other staff/customers. I'm also guessing that the hours required are better regulated and scheduled whereas warehousing often requires extra shifts.

I do wonder what they're going to do now that most stores have gone automatic checkouts. Where are they going to end up working instead?

This is so for forklift drivers too - these jobs face replacement by automation. It's a matter of time before supermarkets of any size instal automatic belt systems that can be fed from trucks. And indeed for robotic delivery to replace shops…

Brings you back to that horrifying scene in The Wire when the dockers' union boss sees the "docks of the future" presentation showing loading and unloading of containers with no dock workers needed.

Meanwhile male and female workers will be fighting over a few stivers of pay…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/politician-faces-legal-action-over-article-she-retweeted-9n97blrjn?

People really need to learn to think before they tweet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's the most non apology apology I've seen given that she states she was told to post it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's the most non apology apology I've seen given that she states she was told to post it :)

I would bet the wording was forwarded to her by Tyaransen's legal team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

AllForIt wrote: »
    I have never seen a woman driving the forklifts, ever.

That's because they're all working collecting wheelie bins on cold December mornings. You always see the fairer sex doing that job.

I would bet the wording was forwarded to her by Tyaransen's legal team.

I think him writing the book review recently, and her then retweeting it, was part of a deal also as 1) why would he write a favourable review about a book, that's author has retweeted serious allegations about him and 2) why would she retweet the review given she clearly felt there was merit in the accusations to being with. Makes no sense and so there must have been some negotiations going on for a time. Which I am just surprised took so long actually as she has a very good relationship with Hot Press otherwise. Over the years they've constantly championed her.

Are you saying she might overlook her #Ibelieveher craic for a favourable book review?..cynical..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wonder how soon she'll have to say sorry to Paddy Jackson and company?

Or does that not fall under similar legal travails?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What a bitch

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What a bitch

Her mam and dad are gonna be livid-wonder if she's grounded for a month?

Won't be allowed see the boyfriend for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They’ll have to move into other careers. They could push to broaden gender quotas into your profession.

Or they could just ‘marry up’ with a guy they don’t fancy and swan around in a white BMW. Then they can use their free time to campaign for feminist issues.

That’s how it works, right?

no offense to people who work in checkouts but its a job rather than the jumped up term of career?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    no offense to people who work in checkouts but its a job rather than the jumped up term of career?

It depends, very much-quite a number of store managers have worked their way up from the ground floor to managment.

So, it is a career-but that depends on the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's because they're all working collecting wheelie bins on cold December mornings. You always see the fairer sex doing that job.

I also noticed now that I think of it - it is always the male shelf stackers that round up the trolleys around the car park at the end of the days business. Never seen a female doing it despite there are many female shelf stackers in same supermarket - maybe that's a 'mans job'.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I also noticed now that I think of it - it is always the male shelf stackers that round up the trolleys around the car park at the end of the days business. Never seen a female doing it despite there are many female shelf stackers in same supermarket - maybe that's a 'mans job'.

I could swear I've seen women do it-usually those that have been there for a few years.

But I do notice its women who mostly 'man' the tills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Her twitter pic

454282.jpg

Well good for you !!!

I am glad the 8th was repealed , but whats with this virtue signaling ?

It's done, it's been repealed, a terrible wrong has been undone - move on.

Are you saying she might overlook her #Ibelieveher craic for a favourable book review?..cynical..

Have to hold my hands up here and admit I totally screwed up the dates there, as the book review tweet was actually the week before Louise retweeted the accusation article, not after it. They have in fact had zero communication since. Although Olaf did like some Tweets that were saying fair play to Louise for posting the apology (but that was before she went on to delete it).

It would appear that she and Olaf were actually quite tight over the past few years and had lots of friendly back and forth on the Twittersphere. Their last interaction in that vein was her posting his review of her book on Feb 19th. She retweeted the now infamous accusation article six days later on Feb 25th.

Which I guess in someways is even worse, as here was a guy she was clearly very friendly with, and yet even still, as soon as an accusation was made about them, she retweeted it. Maybe she learned lessons from the whole Lena Dunham debacle last year when one of her colleagues was accused of a sexual assault, as her coming to his defense did not go down well at all and she was instantly set upon by her own, predominantly rad fem, community. Resulting in an immediate mea culpa from her.

Not the only similarity of course as this whole mess started off with a #metoo in November (which I can't link to as the content is defamatory).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is Louise O Neill to blame for this heatwave?

What can she say? She brings the sunshine 🀗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

What can she say? She brings the sunshine ��

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Its weather not weathim

Have to hold my hands up here and admit I totally screwed up the dates there, as the book review tweet was actually the week before Louise retweeted the accusation article, not after it. They have in fact had zero communication since. Although Olaf did like some Tweets that were saying fair play to Louise for posting the apology (but that was before she went on to delete it).

It would appear that she and Olaf were actually quite tight over the past few years and had lots of friendly back and forth on the Twittersphere. Their last interaction in that vein was her posting his review of her book on Feb 19th. She retweeted the now infamous accusation article six days later on Feb 25th.

Which I guess in someways is even worse, as here was a guy she was clearly very friendly with, and yet even still, as soon as an accusation was made about them, she retweeted it. Maybe she learned lessons from the whole Lena Dunham debacle last year when one of her colleagues was accused of a sexual assault, as her coming to his defense did not go down well at all and she was instantly set upon by her own, predominantly rad fem, community. Resulting in an immediate mea culpa from her.

Not the only similarity of course as this whole mess started off with a #metoo in November (which I can't link to as the content is defamatory).

Which Lena Dunham colleague? Terry Richardson? The guy who used to write for her show?

She sides with quite a few perverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

No column on the Exminer app today. Disappointing, really enjoyed last week’s one about how moving her own play was and how ‘important’ it is.

No column on the Exminer app today. Disappointing, really enjoyed last week’s one about how moving her own play was and how ‘important’ it is.

It’s on examiners fb- still whinging about the Ryanair incident

Shes also going of twitter for a while due to ‘toxic haters’ - until probably Monday when she wants to plug her play /book/latest oppression

She is gone whingeing for the hills I see and taking a break off social media. When the going gets tough....

Her Ryanair article this week about her blubbering into Ryanair staffs face looking for sympathy because she didnt have her boarding card.

She is gone whingeing for the hills I see and taking a break off social media. When the going gets tough....

Her Ryanair article this week about her blubbering into Ryanair staffs face looking for sympathy because she didnt have her boarding card.

Loves playing the victim card. Start crying or call mammy to get her way .... her parents should’ve told her no a couple of times growing up...

I wonder how much of readership is people who are genuinely interested to see what she has to say, and how much of it is peopjereacing it to get their latest kick of outrage.

Yeah. When the going gets tough, LON writes a play or a book or a newspaper article. Given that she’s just had a reasonably successful launch of her play, I’d say she’s earned her holiday in the hills. Laughing all the way to the bank in the hills most probably.

I wonder how much of readership is people who are genuinely interested to see what she has to say, and how much of it is peopjereacing it to get their latest kick of outrage.

Yeah. When the going gets tough, LON writes a play or a book or a newspaper article. Given that she’s just had a reasonably successful launch of her play, I’d say she’s earned her holiday in the hills. Laughing all the way to the bank in the hills most probably.

She'll never be happy no matter how much money she makes. In her small mind, she'll still be patriarchy oppressed. Fair play to her on cashing in on her plays because sooner or later the world will grow some cop on and see 3rd wave feminism for the flawed load of hogwash it is

And no one is genuinely outraged at these pathetic people to be honest. They are picking holes in her ideology which has more holes in it than a sieve and yet this is how she makes a living.

• Advertisement

She'll never be happy no matter how much money she makes. In her small mind, she'll still be patriarchy oppressed. Fair play to her on cashing in on her plays because sooner or later the world will grow some cop on and see 3rd wave feminism for the flawed load of hogwash it is

And no one is genuinely outraged at these pathetic people to be honest. They are picking holes in her ideology which has more holes in it than a sieve and yet this is how she makes a living.

Yeah ok if you insist there’s no outrage.

I do t hunk it’s fair to say shell never be happy. Maybe she likes being oppressed. You could equally say of the men here who love to be oppressed by the feminists. But that’s completely different, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement