Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

Sky King wrote: »
    I see the same arguement over and over again:

Feminist: men are so rapey.
    Man: Hang on... I'm not rapey. We're not all rapey. Why are you implying I'm rapey?
    Feminist: OMG I KNOW YOU ARE NOT RAPEY BUT THIS IS AN IMPORTANT DISCUSSION TO HAVE [goes to twitter] #notallmen
    Man: WTF?

I still haven't resolved this. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
    If I said "women are such sluts" you're just gonna say "yeah" are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

1/15, that's some good stuff.

One example out of 15. Plenty more crazy in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

sligojoek wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers earlier.

I thought it was just an Irish saying. I googled it and found out what is "not" a woke bae.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/love-sex/relationships/a13096705/signs-a-man-is-not-woke/

I feel significantly stupider for having read that drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Sky King wrote: »
    I see the same arguement over and over again:

Feminist: men are so rapey.
    Man: Hang on... I'm not rapey. We're not all rapey. Why are you implying I'm rapey?
    Feminist: OMG I KNOW YOU ARE NOT RAPEY BUT THIS IS AN IMPORTANT DISCUSSION TO HAVE [goes to twitter] #notallmen
    Man: WTF?

I still haven't resolved this. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Don't even try to resolve it. If you just accept that these people are mad and that's it's nothing to do with you, you'll care less and be a lot happier. Trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

She is in the same way that Milo Yiannopoulos is playing a character. While they do believe what they are saying to a degree, they overstate it for shock value.

I would completely agree with this.
    I doubt she truly believes half the crap said but has created a character now that does.
    If anything she is being clever here and using it promote herself and her books, which I imagine is the real play here.

Looks like its working too considering she has a 500+ post thread here but then again how many here would actually buy one of her books? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I would completely agree with this.
    I doubt she truly believes half the crap said but has created a character now that does.
    If anything she is being clever here and using it promote herself and her books, which I imagine is the real play here.

Looks like its working too considering she has a 500+ post thread here but then again how many here would actually buy one of her books? :pac:

She'll also have one eye cast on the US market. Huge potential there for her.

But an absolute minefield if she says one word wrong.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Noveight wrote: »
    I wonder would the hardliners like O'Neill and MacCabe approve of the way Trudeau pandered to their ilk by using "humankind"? Or would they see past his piss poor effort to appear virtuous.

she's tweeted about objectifying Trudeau (she's despised on the Peoples Cork website as well as it was brought up there ) so id say she'd be all for our Canadian douchebag and his feminist crap

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Flower124

They are scumbags pure and simple.

One town in Ireland. And the opprobrium that that town received from across the country was unprecedented.

You think anywhere else would be different? Please name this utopia....

The vast, vast majority of men do not put women through this anguish.

Thanks for your considered post. Yea I have travelled abroad quite a bit, and women's rights in other countries in Europe are far better than here. I was in a European country last week where the men spoke to me with such respect. I came back here and I had to quit a group that I am in in the evenings due to old men in the group saying horrendous things about women, ( one joked about being with a child).
    I have just spoken to my friend who said older men continually sexually harrass her and other women at work. I have never felt as free and happy and not nervous as I do when I am abroad.
    If you look at her interview Dolores O Riordain said that she wanted to bring up her daughters in Canada not in Ireland, as girls were not treated well in Ireland .

I see one of the men on here called me a loon. I have a degree. I have travelled the world working in human rights. This just conforms with what I think about how badly women are treated in Ireland. How men want to belittle them.I dont care anymore- spend my life somewhere where I am treated like a second class citizen, or spend my life free and appreciated abroad. I am out of here for good soon, just saving for the last bit and I cant waut.
    You know well this country has a long, long history of treating women badly.

Flower124 wrote: »
    Thanks for your considered post. Yea I have travelled abroad quite a bit, and women's rights in other countries in Europe are far better than here. I was in a European country last week where the men spoke to me with such respect. I came back here and I had to quit a group that I am in in the evenings due to old men in the group saying horrendous things about women, ( one joked about being with a child).
    I have just spoken to my friend who said older men continually sexually harrass her and other women at work. I have never felt as free and happy and not nervous as I do when I am abroad.
    If you look at her interview Dolores O Riordain said that she wanted to bring up her daughters in Canada not in Ireland, as girls were not treated well in Ireland .

I see one of the men on here called me a loon. I have a degree. I have travelled the world working in human rights. This just conforms with what I think about how badly women are treated in Ireland. How men want to belittle them.I dont care anymore- spend my life somewhere where I am treated like a second class citizen, or spend my life free and appreciated abroad. I am out of here for good soon, just saving for the last bit and I cant waut.

None of this actually happened, did it new poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Flower124

None of this actually happened, did it new poster?

Yes, Dolores O Riordan did say she wanted to bring up her daughters in another country due to lack of girl's rights in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Yes, Dolores O Riordan did say she wanted to bring up her daughters in another country due to lack of girl's rights in Ireland.

any source for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Could you explain to me please what rights I have as a man that women do not have?

Link ?

and the rest of your rant?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What has Dolores O Riordan's opinion got to do with anything? My female next door neighbour says it's a cracking country for women. How's that for comparison.

So what was the European country that you were in recently that treated you with the respect you think you deserve? Just for comparison sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Anecdotal evidence aside do you have any legitimate evidence of women being treated like second class citizens?

Pretty sure you are a troll but on the off chance your not what country where you in that is so much better than our own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

You're just saving for the last bit? How much are you missing? I can give you a lend if it gets you out any quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sure off to Saudi Arabia or Iran so if this thing are that bad here.

in fairness I know of know female friend that this Kate Ireland is a unequal place for theme.

it's not perfect like many countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

So... that country you visited... do you speak the language of it?

If not, how can you be so sure there wasnt the most horrible stuff said about you\women?

Bit of a difference when a stranger abroad talks to you and a group off friends amongst each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This just conforms with what I think about how badly women are treated in Ireland.

You've spent most of your life living in Ireland, therefore you're going to have most of your band experiences in Ireland.

I've been to Belgium once and didn't experience one bad thing there, by your logic it must be a utopia?

Anyone who says that Ireland is so bad for women that they have to leave and live elsewhere either has a screw loose or spends too much time on twitter. It's an affront to women living in places like Iran, India and a whole host of other countries where they actually go through real daily horror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I'm 31 years old an I cannot think of any cases where women as a whole have been mistreated or disrespected. except for religious organisations

women have equal rights is almost all areas. the other areas they have more rights.

you will always have one off cases of some scumbag disrespecting someone . there are laws to deal with those people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

trollyoday.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

o1s1n wrote: »
    You've spent most of your life living in Ireland, therefore you're going to have most of your band experiences in Ireland.

I've been to Belgium once and didn't experience one bad thing there, by your logic it must be a utopia?

Anyone who says that Ireland is so bad for women that they have to leave and live elsewhere either has a screw loose or spends too much time on twitter. It's an affront to women living in places like Iran, India and a whole host of other countries where they actually go through real daily horror.

Ah don't go popping this bat**** crazy idea that Ireland, and by dint the West, is Gilead......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Rory28 wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence aside do you have any legitimate evidence of women being treated like second class citizens?

Pretty sure you are a troll but on the off chance your not what country where you in that is so much better than our own?

Yeah I'd like to know where too, also is it the same place you are moving to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Women have equal rights in Ireland and this seems to really pee off the feminists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

2smiggy wrote: »
    trollyoday.jpg

Exactly lads, like seriously, falling for a new poster like that, hook, line and sinker. :rolleyes:

I'm 31 years old an I cannot think of any cases where women as a whole have been mistreated or disrespected. except for religious organisations

women have equal rights is almost all areas. the other areas they have more rights.

you will always have one off cases of some scumbag disrespecting someone . there are laws to deal with those people

Which areas is almost equal and which areas do women have more rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

women have equal rights is almost all areas.
    Which areas is almost equal

Channel 4 infiltrating boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Benildus wrote: »
    Could you explain to me please what rights I have as a man that women do not have?

Right testicle. That's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

How she thinks she looks:

afoAYMo.jpg

How she actually looks:

9LoxHpB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Looking just like a lobster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement