Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Yeah ok if you insist there’s no outrage.

I do t hunk it’s fair to say shell never be happy. Maybe she likes being oppressed. You could equally say of the men here who love to be oppressed by the feminists. But that’s completely different, right?

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

givyjoe wrote: »

I do t hunk it’s fair to say shell never be happy. Maybe she likes being oppressed. You could equally say of the men here who love to be oppressed by the feminists. But that’s completely different, right?

Yep

Thought as much lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Will herself be going to Pope Francis' visit?

We'll need to wait and see which side she comes down on before we k own which side were on. If she is opposed to Pope Francis then we'll have to support his visit. But hopefully she takes the other approach and gives him credit for trying to change the Catholic church. Then we can opposed his visit.

It's tricky soaring for LON to tell us what side of the argument we should take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is Louise O Neill to blame for this heatwave?

Well, there's certainly a lot of... wait for it... seriously, this is really good... HOT AIR being spouted on this thread.

tumblr_mfxfs7ZLLJ1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

If her mammy is not busy to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Well, there's certainly a lot of... wait for it... seriously, this is really good... HOT AIR being spouted on this thread.

giphy.webp

What direction is left for Louise at this stage?

I thought she was going to go with the women of colour thing until she said. That the multi Grammy award winner and multi millionaire Byonce was under apperciated. And how come ordinary black women don't get on the cover of Vouge when a white woman like Jesica Alba who is actually mixed race and who Forbes has named as one of the richest under 40 entreperneurs in America. She is absolutely bonkers.

Probably just laying low until the next big hash tag comes along in which she can use to make money.

I see the butt hurt soy boys are still hanging around the page defending their damsel in distress with straw man arguments. :rolleyes:

Perhaps invest your time more wisely by lets say defending a woman whose many claims arent baseless eh?

I see the butt hurt soy boys are still hanging around the page defending their damsel in distress with straw man arguments. :rolleyes:

Perhaps invest your time more wisely by lets say defending a woman whose many claims arent baseless eh?

What's a soy boy?

• Advertisement

Where are men actually being oppressed by the feminists??? :confused: No one is claiming that. We are challenging the claims from these feminist writers that they live in patriarchal oppression. They should fúck off to the middle east and let us know how they get on over there

I Googled soy boy and it turns out to be an alt right term for an emasculated man.

I'm always amused by the people who think they're in a position to be the arbitrator of masculinity. Gawd you must consider yourself fierce masculine altogether. Lol. They almost go on to say something to the effect that ' I'm not a manly man and I was never good at sports and im not great with women, and I don't have a girlfriend, and I was bullied by the bigger boys growing up. But feel in a position to tell you you're a soy boy'.

It works that way because if they were able to have a successful relationship with women, they wouldn't spend all week waiting for LON's latest article to give out about her and how the dreaded feminists have ruined things for them. If they actually knew anything about women or how to have a successful relationship, they wouldn't bother whining about LON.

Yep, if you feel in a position to call other people alt right expressions like 'soy boy' then have at it.

It works that way because if they were able to have a successful relationship with women, they wouldn't spend all week waiting for LON's latest article to give out about her and how the dreaded feminists have ruined things for them. If they actually knew anything about women or how to have a successful relationship, they wouldn't bother whining about LON.

She represents every woman who's ever hurt them - usually by failing to notice their existence and going for 'assholes' instead. Am I right, tipp_Gunner?

If her mammy is not busy to drive
    So the question should be, is Mrs O'Neill going to see the Pope? :)
    I thought Lou might be planning to kick up a stink; streak during his mass or something like that.
    Has she ever mentioned his visit at all?

So the question should be, is Mrs O'Neill going to see the Pope? :)

Louise won't be going unless her ma can't find someone to mind her.

Lads, it's too easy. If I was on your side of this weird 'debate', I'd be constantly smashing it with comments like this.

I think it's the new 'cuck' - the modern-day far-right insult of choice. It refers to the pseudo-scientific claim that soy products (which lesser men presumably consume instead of knocking back pints of uber-masculine full-fat milk) increase men's oestrogen levels, thus making them feminine. And as far as thickos like tipp_Gunner are concerned, femininity is the ultimate insult.

A bit rich coming from you. You havent made one valid argument yet. Drink your soy and stfu clown

Mod: Banned, and don't post in this thread on your return.

A bit rich coming from you. You havent made one valid argument yet. Drink your soy and stfu clown

I'm afraid it's full-fat Premier Dairies or GTFO in my house, so even the basic premise of your argument is flawed. Fucking mainlining the stuff.

Edit: I called him a thicko first, so it's a 1-1 draw. Either I should be banned too, or he should be unbanned.

Mod: Yep, you are :p

Lads, it's too easy. If I was on your side of this weird 'debate', I'd be constantly smashing it with comments like this.

33e759d327700d94f65e979a1670c25f.jpg

At least you will be smashing something. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm afraid it's full-fat Premier Dairies or GTFO in my house, so even the basic premise of your argument is flawed. Fucking mainlining the stuff.

Edit: I called him a thicko first, so it's a 1-1 draw. Either I should be banned too, or he should be unbanned.

Very virtuous, fair play checking your privilege!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

New thread title gets two thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

mzungu wrote: »
    New thread title gets two thumbs up.

Well if she didn't it would be down to misogyny don't ya know

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

...and how come ordinary black women don't get on the cover of Vouge when a white woman like Jesica Alba..

She is absolutely bonkers.

I thought you were messing but she actually said that. Jebus.

Jennifer Hudson was on it, Lupita Nyong'o also (a couple of times in fact) and Zendaya and even our own Ruth Negga:

ruthnegga.jpg

She's such a try hard with stuff like this. Always trying to come across as being so woke to the coloured person's struggle but rarely anything that she has to say has much relevance to today. I wouldn't be surprised if the next thing she tweets is 'Free Nelson Mendela'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Jennifer Hudson was on it, Lupita Nyong'o (a couple of times), Zendaya and even our own Ruth Negga:

ruthnegga.jpg

She's such a try hard with stuff like this. Always trying to come across as being so woke to the coloured person's struggle but rarely anything that she has to say has much relevance to today. I wouldn't be surprised if the next thing she tweets is Free Nelson Mendela.

She was on a similar rant about women of colour and the Rose of Tralee-saying they were 'all white'... nope, there have been quite a few Roses of Colour (or ROC) if you will-winners too (Luzveminda O'Sullivan for one-dad was Irish, her mom was from the Phillippines. I always remember her because my mum liked her, and she returned to Ireland to get married here. She was working abroad, at the time I think). Granted, there were more Women of Colour in Gay Byrnes day-but I think much of it is down to women not wishing to enter the competition.

There was some mad crap a few years ago (two or three) where some 'campaigner' or 'nuisance' as I'd call them-said the organisers wouldn't take trans women. (It was in the Sun I think) cue a ton of of twitter ranters getting mad at things-and the head of the Rose of Tralee had to come out and say 'we would never turn away trans women, it's far too early to say we will or won't, and it all comes down to who wishes to enter-we'd never turn away a trans individual.'

Wouldnt' surprise me if 'LON' got involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is Louise O Neill to blame for this heatwave?

Who gives a stinking fück?

P.S. It's time we settled on a title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

P.S. It's time we settled on a title.

Absolutely not.

Jennifer Hudson was on it, Lupita Nyong'o also (a couple of times in fact) and Zendaya and even our own Ruth Negga:

ruthnegga.jpg

She's such a try hard with stuff like this. Always trying to come across as being so woke to the coloured person's struggle but rarely anything that she has to say has much relevance to today. I wouldn't be surprised if the next thing she tweets is 'Free Nelson Mendela'.
    That or 'Why were there no black characters in Glenroe' :rolleyes:
    Why doesn't she bang her drum about FGM or 13 y old girls being sold into marriage by their parents in Africa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

That or 'Why were there no black characters in Glenroe' :rolleyes:
    Why doesn't she bang her drum about FGM or 13 y old girls being sold into marriage by their parents in Africa?

mansplaining/crying about forgetting her boarding pass is more important

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mostly because as I've suggested before; "feminism", particularly of the type we're discussing here and the most vocal(as the description that follows have more access to media) is very much a young university (over)educated white middle class cosseted suburban self obsessed woman politic/faith and its subjects of concern are those concerns of young university educated White middle class suburban women.

Things like you describe only come across their radar on occasion. The once a year feel good Trocaire box of feminist rhetoric that they can tweet as a prize. Otherwise it's the usual local and what they feel applicable to their lives stuff. QV the talk about universities and rape stats* therein. Do a bit of digging and you find that the risks of sexual assault are higher for women not in college(even though rape and sexual assault stats have been consistently dropping since the 80's) and universities are safer. But given the above demographic they're going to be focused on their local issue. Child brides and genital mutilation don't affect them.

Plus these are potentially risky waters to navigate for this politic and the political philosophy that is behind it. The very understandable concern of being seen as "racist" for condemning cultural practices and the notion of cultural equivalence itself is one rock they could perish on among their peers. Far easier and safer to flick off a #metoo tweet because someone told you a drunk muppet started at your tits outside the Freshers ball of UCD/C.

*which are bogus as fuck anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement