Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

And ruin the lives of innocent men.

Irrelevant. Women are victims fullstop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Owryan wrote: »
    If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the way out

Can we at least leave out the word "hose"? It's ridiculously phalocentric*

*yes, I only learnt this word today.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And ruin the lives of innocent men.

True, but Ms. O Neill doesn't give a **** about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

This thread is almost civilised when certain posters aren't about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

True, but Ms. O Neill doesn't give a **** about them.

Let's say it together now:
    "I, (INSERT FULL NAME HERE), DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT I DO NOT GIVE A STINKING FVCK ABOUT LOUISE O'NEILL. I MAKE THIS SOLEMN DECLARATION CONSCIENTIOUSLY BELIEVING THE SAME TO BE TRUE AND BY VIRTUE OF THE PROVISIONS OF THE STATUTORY DECLARATIONS ACT 1835."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Let's say it together now:
    "I, (INSERT FULL NAME HERE), DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT I DO NOT GIVE A STINKING FVCK ABOUT LOUISE O'NEILL. I MAKE THIS SOLEMN DECLARATION CONSCIENTIOUSLY BELIEVING THE SAME TO BE TRUE AND BY VIRTUE OF THE PROVISIONS OF THE STATUTORY DECLARATIONS ACT 1835."
    ...almost :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The constant changing of the title is fücking ridiculous.

Boo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

This thread is almost civilised when certain posters aren't about.

Speak of the devil and they will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

givyjoe wrote: »
    Speak of the devile and they will...

Appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Appear.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That or 'Why were there no black characters in Glenroe' :rolleyes:
    Why doesn't she bang her drum about FGM or 13 y old girls being sold into marriage by their parents in Africa?

There were black characters in Glenroe-can't remember her name, but she was in it for some time towards the end of the shows run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

There were black characters in Glenroe-can't remember her name, but she was in it for some time towards the end of the shows run.

Blackie Connors???

Blackie Connors???

No-she was the wife or widow of one character, actress was American. She turned up to claim his land, after his brother killed him I think.

She was interviewed on Pat Kenny at the time-double jointed in her shoulders.

Thanks for the offer but I must decline, because I do give a damn about the type of message that lon is sending.

I have 3 young boys and I do not want them growing up in a society where they are prejudged as potential rapists or are simply judged for being (non)women.

This form of feminism, where men are seen as evil is dangerous and needs to be challenged.
    I just finished a 4yr degree course in a largely female field. Just some of the messages we were given were:
    *all sex is non consenting and rape
    *men cannot be the victim of domestic violence
    *women cannot succeed because of men, when they do it is purely to keep women happy.
    *my good grades are not because of hard work but because of white male privilege.
    *the guy who won over all student of the year won because of patriarchy.

Only 2 of my lecturers in those 4 years were men, the rest female, the programme chair is female, yet it's still men backing men.

They are giving young females all the excuses they need for when they don't succeed.

And breath........

Congratulations on completing the course. Fair dues.

(Everything else I agree with).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I, MICHAEL HIERONYMOUS TAYLOR, DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT I DO NOT GIVE A STINKING FVCK ABOUT LOUISE O'NEILL. I MAKE THIS SOLEMN DECLARATION CONSCIENTIOUSLY BELIEVING THE SAME TO BE TRUE AND BY VIRTUE OF THE PROVISIONS OF THE STATUTORY DECLARATIONS ACT 1835.
    Say it with me now:
    "I, (INSERT FULL NAME HERE), DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT I DO NOT GIVE A STINKING FVCK ABOUT LOUISE O'NEILL.I MAKE THIS SOLEMN DECLARATION CONSCIENTIOUSLY BELIEVING THE SAME TO BE TRUE AND BY VIRTUE OF THE PROVISIONS OF THE STATUTORY DECLARATIONS ACT 1835."

You are roughly 5 posts short of 100 posts in here so maybe you care a little. Although on second thought maybe I should give you the benefit of the doubt since 40% of those posts is simply you being confused/triggered about the thread title changing, 40% is you stalking LW and the remainder is about Des Moines/Iowa/God only knows what.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Omackeral wrote: »
    You are roughly 5 posts short of 100 posts in here so maybe you care a little. Although on second thought maybe I should give you the benefit of the doubt since 40% of those posts is simply you being confused/triggered about the thread title changing, 40% is you stalking LW and the remainder is about Des Moines/Iowa/God only knows what.

Angsty Slipknot fan no doubt

Blackie Connors???

Dearpool 2 moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,528 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That or 'Why were there no black characters in Glenroe' :rolleyes:
    Why doesn't she bang her drum about FGM or 13 y old girls being sold into marriage by their parents in Africa?

I’m sure you read lots of articles every week about FGM. At least as many FGM articles as LON articles. But maybe, just maybe, she doesn’t see FGM as a big problem in Ireland.

Now, maybe you’re suggesting she should spread her wings and have an influence in he wider world as well as Ireland. But I think it’s unlikely anyone in the LON appreciation thread wants her to actually tackle any MORE issues than she current does.

But given how many of th posters are regular readers of LON, maybe the really do want to see her tackle yet more topics of social import

• Registered Users Posts: 22 inspector frost

How long will the LON brand last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I’m sure you read lots of articles every week about FGM. At least as many FGM articles as LON articles. But maybe, just maybe, she doesn’t see FGM as a big problem in Ireland.

Now, maybe you’re suggesting she should spread her wings and have an influence in he wider world as well as Ireland. But I think it’s unlikely anyone in the LON appreciation thread wants her to actually tackle any MORE issues than she current does.

But given how many of th posters are regular readers of LON, maybe the really do want to see her tackle yet more topics of social import

Not a peep though when one of the lecturers in her Alma Mater, Trinity, stated that he backed FGM.

In fact, little visible protest from any of the third wave loons about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

She was interviewed on Pat Kenny at the time-double jointed in her shoulders.

Sounds like Father Ted trying to help Dougal remember Sr Assumpta.

Sounds like Father Ted trying to help Dougal remember Sr Assumpta.

Yeah, I have no idea on her name. I just remember her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,306 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Poor lou lou in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wonder whatever became of Lou dog the dalmatian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,528 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Not a peep though when one of the lecturers in her Alma Mater, Trinity, stated that he backed FGM.

In fact, little visible protest from any of the third wave loons about that.

Probably a case of picking her battles and organising her workload. Given that she’s written / books numerous newspaper articles along with tv and radio appearances, I’d say she’s reasonably busy.

But you’d have to ask her why she didn’t tackle that specific issue.

I suspect as intentionally focuses on fringe issues to raise awareness. If the issue became mainstream it would be carried forward by other people. I imagine she considers herself the vanguard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I imagine she considers herself the vanguard.

I imagine she considers herself the man-guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Diversity for Hire

Haha no It's because like most feminists she won't dare attack Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Haha no It's because like most feminists she won't dare attack Islam.

Also she can't dare speak out against the practices of black people, since like her, they are a minority group oppressed by those evil, nasty white men.

She picks and chooses her fights , and if they happen to be ones that she offer safe targets so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Diversity for Hire

Also she can't dare speak out against the practices of black people, since like her, they are a minority group oppressed by those evil, nasty white men.

She picks and chooses her fights , and if they happen to be ones that she offer safe targets so much the better.

Be nice if she spoke about the rape gangs in England but I suppose those guys are just victims of the white patriarchy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Absolutely and when she is being pressed to comment on something which it appears not just white males are the perpetrators of, she suddenly finds her empathy bone.

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/969688016410333186

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement