Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

She's stuck in a left/right dichotomy that dominates US politics. I criticise her, I am not "right wing". It bothers me that she compares herself to John Stewart.

I didn't like how people on here criticised her for being abroad while voting. I don't doubt she would go out of way to vote. There was no proof that she didn't vote. It was kinda pathetic tbh.

I recall not so long ago there were similar sentiments espoused about being held to impossibly high standards by an American author who would have been on the right of the political spectrum. It was the same deal, the left hold the right to their standards and use it as a stick to beat them with etc.

All it really means is that it works the same way as left wingers thinking right winders have free reign on Boards, and right wingers think left wingers get free reign on Boards etc. In all likelihood, if both sides believe the other holds the same advantages, then the balance of both views is most likely pretty good!

That said, this left vs right stuff when applied to Ireland does not really work. We are not as polarised as the US (or other countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Nah it’s not. That article was perfectly reasonable. Your over the top emotional response is telling.

Who says I'm referring to the article?! I'm referring to LON in general as you were referring to the posters here in general. Emotional response?! Ha. You do love a good post twist.

You’re right. It wasn’t pathetic when people assumed she hadn’t voted.

But where did she compare herself to John Stewart. She basically quoted him as a means of agreeing with him.

If I quote Gandhi for instance, am I comparing myself to him?

For the sake of saving face, yes, if you quote Gandhi you are basically saying you are him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

givyjoe wrote: »
    Who says I'm referring to the article?! I'm referring to LON in general as you were referring to the posters here in general. Emotional response?! Ha. You do love a good post twist.

Well yeah. Look at how many exclamation marks you use. You’re one step away from writing your posts in all caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Well yeah. Look at how many exclamation marks you use. You’re one step away from writing your posts in all caps.

Well your posts are something else!! None in my original earlier post. Like I said, you do love a good post twist.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"girl writes article about annoying twitter trolls"

Is the summation of that piece

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Toxic Avenger strikes again :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's not because he's attractive, it's because he's on their side of the political aisle. Partisanship among SJW types is insane, in terms of the values they're willing to compromise for the sake of their favoured politicians.

There's definitely an element of that alright. Obama's deliberate exhibiting of his erection bulge (on a flight in front of staffers) while clearly done in a playful way, would not have been so easily dismissed had been a Conservative politician. Polanski another whose political leanings where without question taken into account when it came to deciding how he should be judged, if at all, by the public.

I do however think looks play a part too though. Attractiveness dilutes such actions and makes them more palatable for society I feel.

Al Franken and Louis CK were both comedians with left leanings and who had been saying all the right things previously but yet who were quickly admonished when their particular misgivings were revealed (so to speak).

Not suggesting that good looks would give someone total impunity but I do think they play a part in just what level of vitriol tends to get thrown at a famous person when they are accused of such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There's definitely an element of that alright. Obama's deliberate exhibiting of his erection bulge (on a flight in front of staffers) while clearly done in a playful way, would not have been so easily dismissed had been a Conservative politician. Polanski another whose political leanings where without question taken into account when it came to deciding how he should be judged, if at all, by the public.

I do however think looks play a part too though. Attractiveness dilutes such actions and makes them more palatable for society I feel.

Al Franken and Louis CK were both comedians with left leanings and who had been saying all the right things previously but yet who were quickly admonished when their particular misgivings were revealed (so to speak).

Not suggesting that good looks would give someone total impunity but I do think they play a part in just what level of vitriol tends to get thrown at a famous person when they are accused of such things.

Al Franken was stupid enough to take a photo, and then put himself on a podium admonishing Trump for alleged groping-yet here was a photo of Franken groping an unconscious woman...the only way he could look worse would have been if it was a teenaged boy. (People still tried to defend him-even trying to paint the woman in a bad light cos she's an NRA member and Trump supporter-just sick).

CK towed the same feminist line, and always denied the 'transgressions' labelled against him. When he was making a film which literally had all his perversions on show, and which now sits on a shelf somewhere because of his 'yanking the crank'

I will agree that 'attraction' does play a part, sadly. I know that Indecent Proposal wouldn't have women all hot and bothered if it was Rodney Dangerfield in the Robert Redford role, for example. It wasn't as if it was all men running to see that movie. And why would they, it was sh**e.

There were quite a few individuals who were 'charming' or handsome who's careers were put kaput by allegations-a youtuber named Toby Turner for one, Chris Hardwick (Despite his supporters) is another-even if there's a dodgy petition to bring him back to work. There's a total hounding of Jared Leto based on dodgy 'evidence'.

Al Franken was stupid enough to take a photo, and then put himself on a podium admonishing Trump for alleged groping-yet here was a photo of Franken groping an unconscious woman...the only way he could look worse would have been if it was a teenaged boy. (People still tried to defend him-even trying to paint the woman in a bad light cos she's an NRA member and Trump supporter-just sick).

CK towed the same feminist line, and always denied the 'transgressions' labelled against him. When he was making a film which literally had all his perversions on show, and which now sits on a shelf somewhere because of his 'yanking the crank'

I will agree that 'attraction' does play a part, sadly. I know that Indecent Proposal wouldn't have women all hot and bothered if it was Rodney Dangerfield in the Robert Redford role, for example. It wasn't as if it was all men running to see that movie. And why would they, it was sh**e.

There were quite a few individuals who were 'charming' or handsome who's careers were put kaput by allegations-a youtuber named Toby Turner for one, Chris Hardwick (Despite his supporters) is another-even if there's a dodgy petition to bring him back to work. There's a total hounding of Jared Leto based on dodgy 'evidence'.
    That would have been about 100 times better than the original film :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'm sorry, what?

That would have been about 100 times better than the original film :D

'Hey Buddy? Would you mind lending me your wife? It's just I haven't spoken to my wife in years-I don't wanna interrupt her! Ayyy, you're alright!'

'I drink way too much-I went for a physical a week ago, and I had to give a urine sample. The doctor gave me a martini glass with an olive in it'

'Hey-you're a lotta woman, wanna make a million dollars the hard way?!'

'I tell ya, there's a lotta ugly women at this party-the last time I saw a mouth like that one, there was a hook in it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,528 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's not because he's attractive, it's because he's on their side of the political aisle. Partisanship among SJW types is insane, in terms of the values they're willing to compromise for the sake of their favoured politicians.

I think there's a big difference between Louis CK did and what Trudeau is accused of.

Al Franken admitted to what he did and chose to resign. If he hadn't admitted it, would be his word against her's and we'd never know what actually happened. I think it's to Franken's credit that he admitted to what he did and resigned. I don't know if trump abused the 16 women who made allegations against him, but I also think he would deny it whether he did it or not. Franken could have denied it and brazened it out. But he told the truth and apologised and resigned.

I've no idea whether Trudeau did it or not. Unless more evidence comes to light, then what more is there to say? Unless he admits it it's just the word of me person I've never met against the word of someone else I've never met.

Likewise that Roy Moore senator candidate. I don't know if he abused that young girl or not. What more is there to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

I didn't like how people on here criticised her for being abroad while voting. I don't doubt she would go out of way to vote. There was no proof that she didn't vote. It was kinda pathetic tbh.

I dunno, the whole thing feels a bit "off" to me.

Surely it's bad optics for one of the most vocal, most prominent and most recognizable figures in the "Repeal the 8th" movement to be posted missing on the day of the referendum?

Moreso when the reason to skip probably one of the most important days in modern Irish history from a Feminist perspective is to travel to the UK to promote ones own book.

I think there is a valid argument and a valid criticism there and honestly the "postal vote" story is not convincing.

I mean, considering the content of her books, it seems obvious to me that her saying "I need to postpone everything for a day/week/whatever while I vote to repeal the 8th amendment" would be welcomed and probably even praised.

You had people flying back to Ireland from all over the world to vote while probably Irelands most prominent Feminist figure is out of the country that day?

Somebody should have told all of those people they could just do a postal vote, I guess...?

I don't get the idea that somehow the "Right Wing" are out to get her. It just feels like citing the "Right Wing" is becoming more of a way to deflect criticism than it is an attempt to engage in political discussion.

The examples she uses:

Ewan McGregor and Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain. - UK
    Rosanne Barrs tweets - USA
    Samantha Bees jokes - USA
    Silence regarding Donald Trump - USA
    Silence regarding Roy Moore - USA
    Attacks on Chelsea Clinton - USA
    Attacks on Michelle Obama - USA
    Jon Stewart quote on the right - USA

I dunno. Is she just a wannabe American or something so she has to fantasise that Ireland has the same Right vs Left issues that the USA has?

I feel like she stops short here of calling out the "Alt-Right" and claiming they are the ones trying to "invalidate" her.

Maxpfizer wrote: »

Surely it's bad optics for one of the most vocal, most prominent and most recognizable figures in the "Repeal the 8th" movement to be posted missing on the day of the referendum?

Moreso when the reason to skip probably one of the most important days in modern Irish history from a Feminist perspective is to travel to the UK to promote ones own book.

I think there is a valid argument and a valid criticism there and honestly the "postal vote" story is not convincing.

I mean, considering the content of her books, it seems obvious to me that her saying "I need to postpone everything for a day/week/whatever while I vote to repeal the 8th amendment" would be welcomed and probably even praised.

You had people flying back to Ireland from all over the world to vote while probably Irelands most prominent Feminist figure is out of the country that day?

Somebody should have told all of those people they could just do a postal vote, I guess...?

I don't get the idea that somehow the "Right Wing" are out to get her. It just feels like citing the "Right Wing" is becoming more of a way to deflect criticism than it is an attempt to engage in political discussion.

The examples she uses:

I dunno. Is she just a wannabe American or something so she has to fantasise that Ireland has the same Right vs Left issues that the USA has?

I feel like she stops short here of calling out the "Alt-Right" and claiming they are the ones trying to "invalidate" her.

Nailed it-hence her talk of 'the evil white man' in a country where a tan is a miracle.

Even her book 'Asking for it' was based on an incident in the US, not in Ireland. There's a rich tapestry of horrible stuff that happened to people here in Ireland-why go looking at a case in the US?
    Highlight the injustices committed to vulnerable individuals here in Ireland.

The Right Wing or Alt Right are the new boogeyman for her types. No 'defending your position/ proving your point' just 'alt-right'. A game developer was fired over the weekend for pulling similar crap.

I saw this tweet, and even knowing it's a joke, I cannot help but feel it's something LON would do.

https://twitter.com/RealElfwick/status/1016016023231885316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Maxpfizer wrote: »

The examples she uses:

she lived in America as a far as I remember her mentioning in a post working for an American magazine, that's probably why she's using the American examples and trying to shift them here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Stepping back for a moment. Is it possible, that the whole LON schtick is really just a case of the lady doth protest too much? That it is no cynical calculated career or revenue vein to mine. But that its all really just a cry for help? A desire to be taken, by a man, just a tad roughly, but really just as a bit of teasing play, and really, to be taken to heaven and back five times a day, Lord Flashheart style ? And the whole outrage angle, is just an expression of frustration, that men are backing off her. I dont know. Just a thought.

she lived in America as a far as I remember her mentioning in a post working for an American magazine, that's probably why she's using the American examples and trying to shift them here
    America has exported some ****e to us in recent years; the fast food diet causing obesity, blind, flag waving patriotism, pre-emptive strikes, mind-numbing reality TV, Paris Hilton and the Kardashian mob, and now all this gender politics, extreme left-right bull****. :mad:
    Anyone with the slightest knowledge of irish politics would know that parties at either end of the left/right spectrum simply don't survive in this country.

Stepping back for a moment. Is it possible, that the whole LON schtick is really just a case of the lady doth protest too much? That it is no cynical calculated career or revenue vein to mine. But that its all really just a cry for help? A desire to be taken, by a man, just a tad roughly, but really just as a bit of teasing play, and really, to be taken to heaven and back five times a day, Lord Flashheart style ? And the whole outrage angle, is just an expression of frustration, that men are backing off her. I dont know. Just a thought.

Probably...

A clip round the ear is what she's most in need of, tbh. (Wait, is childhood discipline a threat of violence now?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Probably...

A clip round the ear is what she's most in need of, tbh. (Wait, is childhood discipline a threat of violence now?)

Her parents should tell her/should have told her the word no once in a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I think there's a big difference between Louis CK did and what Trudeau is accused of.

Al Franken admitted to what he did and chose to resign. If he hadn't admitted it, would be his word against her's and we'd never know what actually happened. I think it's to Franken's credit that he admitted to what he did and resigned. I don't know if trump abused the 16 women who made allegations against him, but I also think he would deny it whether he did it or not. Franken could have denied it and brazened it out. But he told the truth and apologised and resigned.

I've no idea whether Trudeau did it or not. Unless more evidence comes to light, then what more is there to say? Unless he admits it it's just the word of me person I've never met against the word of someone else I've never met.

Likewise that Roy Moore senator candidate. I don't know if he abused that young girl or not. What more is there to say?

Trudeau sacked two Liberal MPs based on accusations with no evidence. Trudeau's accuser wrote an article in the local paper a few days after the incident which verbatim quotes him saying he never would have done it if he knew she was working for a national paper. And Trudeau himself has said that we should always believe the woman and that historical incidents should be taken as seriously as if they happened yesterday.

If he really is truly a man of principle, then he'll resign.

But will he f.....

They should buy her a ticket back to the U.S. Best place for her brand of horsesh1t, stop trying to make all us irish blokes feel like a cross between Harvey Weinstein and Jack the Ripper.

There's a few minions on here who she could take with her and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They should buy her a ticket back to the U.S. Best place for her brand of horsesh1t, stop trying to make all us irish blokes feel like a cross between Harvey Weinstein and Jack the Ripper.

There's a few minions on here who she could take with her and all.

... did you JUST assume my nationality?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

... did you JUST assume my nationality?!
    I assumed more than that Princess :confused: I thought you was a she.

Oh God...she practically makes a living on the word 'No'... I imagine she'd never heard it before her conversion to feminism.
    Trudeau sacked two Liberal MPs based on accusations with no evidence. Trudeau's accuser wrote an article in the local paper a few days after the incident which verbatim quotes him saying he never would have done it if he knew she was working for a national paper. And Trudeau himself has said that we should always believe the woman and that historical incidents should be taken as seriously as if they happened yesterday.

But will he f.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/trudeau-groping-allegation-1.4738492

He's getting called out in his own country's media.

What a plonker-never put yourself on a pedestal. Just put your hands up from the get go and announce 'hey world, I'm not a good guy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Oh God...she practically makes a living on the word 'No'... I imagine she'd never heard it before her conversion to feminism.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/trudeau-groping-allegation-1.4738492

He's getting called out in his own country's media.

What a plonker-never put yourself on a pedestal. Just put your hands up from the get go and announce 'hey world, I'm not a good guy'.

Finally. They were very slow on the uptake on this, hoping it would blow away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I assumed more than that Princess :confused: I thought you was a she.

Only on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and every second Saturday. :cool:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,528 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

But will he f.....

Honestly I don’t know as much about Trudeau as you claim to. So I’ll have to take your word for it.

It’s interesting that people can set their own standards though. Trump has set the bar so low that even if he was found guilty he could just brazen it out. Between the historical accusations of raping his ex wife and the ‘grab em by the pussy’ tape and his anti-PC appeal, he can just call the whole thing nonsense and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I’ve (unfortunately) watched that video. The video has some contrast fuckery done to it (all the other videos of it are much darker) and even then is really unclear. When you watch the video, he puts his leg up on a seat briefly whilst on the phone, a pretty normal absent-minded move and the video quality is absolutely dreadful. Like, really really bad. It is very hard to know what you’re looking at. It’s much more likely to just be a crotch crease.

There is no way you can say for sure that Obama is deliberately exhibiting an erection in that video. And I don’t even see much evidence of playfulness. He looks distracted more than anything else.

I’d actually encourage people to have a look, don’t just take my word for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It’s interesting that people can set their own standards though. Trump has set the bar so low that even if he was found guilty he could just brazen it out. Between the historical accusations of raping his ex wife and the ‘grab em by the pussy’ tape and his anti-PC appeal, he can just call the whole thing nonsense and move on.
    Which seems to be a large part of his appeal. The "he's a total dick, but at least we know that up front, which makes for a nice change in a politician" principle. Particularly in US politics which is usually so heavily image controlled, clean cut, scripted and fake, all "family man" with dazzling teeth and "Christian values" whored out to the media. He dropped that on its head from the get go and I'm sure for a lot of Americans this seemed like a breath of fresh air. There was barely a day that went by on his campaign where he didn't drop a clanger that would have utterly obliterated any other candidate, yet only seemed to increase his appeal.

You see similar with the famous men being accused of sexual misconduct. It's nearly all film industry types. The same film industry is also heavily image controlled, clean cut and fake, all dazzling teeth and "Christian values" whored out to the media. You'll note the rock and roll types have been generally left alone(rappers being an exception, but that's more about skin tone). Rock and roll types that are often quite brazen about snorting coke off the backs of underage groupies. David Bowie is now a saint in the pantheon of music, yet was having sex with minors in the 70's. Jimmy Page took a thirteen year old girl with him on tour. No Polanski cover up or witch hunt aimed at him. They were up front about it, the genre is seen and even celebrated for that sort of thing, so...

It's down to perceived hypocrisy. Obnoxious Trump feels up some reporter and well it's bad, but what do you expect. Saint Trudeau does and people lose their minds. People are more media savvy now and have more access to the lives of public figures and industries and there does seem to be a real BS fatigue going on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement