Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Flower124 wrote: »
    Thanks for your considered post. Yea I have travelled abroad quite a bit, and women's rights in other countries in Europe are far better than here. I was in a European country last week where the men spoke to me with such respect. I came back here and I had to quit a group that I am in in the evenings due to old men in the group saying horrendous things about women, ( one joked about being with a child).
    I have just spoken to my friend who said older men continually sexually harrass her and other women at work. I have never felt as free and happy and not nervous as I do when I am abroad.
    If you look at her interview Dolores O Riordain said that she wanted to bring up her daughters in Canada not in Ireland, as girls were not treated well in Ireland .

I see one of the men on here called me a loon. I have a degree. I have travelled the world working in human rights. This just conforms with what I think about how badly women are treated in Ireland. How men want to belittle them.I dont care anymore- spend my life somewhere where I am treated like a second class citizen, or spend my life free and appreciated abroad. I am out of here for good soon, just saving for the last bit and I cant waut.
    You know well this country has a long, long history of treating women badly.

You remind me strikingly of the posting of “midlandmissus” in the previous Louise O’Neill thread, down to the ‘everything is better outside Ireland and older men harrass younger women’ details.

In that previous thread, we never really got any useful detail that one could work with from a discussion basis. I still do not know why things are supposedly better for women in Spain let’s say as opposed to here. In terms of concrete examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As it happens, who cares what she looks like? She was smart enough to exploit that type of commentary to her advantage in her RTE documentary, as well she might. The minute you start commenting on her looks or appearance you’re losing.

In that second picture, has she some, ahh, implement in the place of, ahhh, well, towards her lower abdomen?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As it happens, who cares what she looks like? She was smart enough to exploit that type of commentary to her advantage in her RTE documentary, as well she might. The minute you start commenting on her looks or appearance you’re losing.

Just found the contrast funny. Wasn't actually trying to one-up her or whatever you convinced yourself I was trying to do.
    In that second picture, has she some, ahh, implement in the place of, ahhh, well, towards her lower abdomen?..

Well, there are rumours she kept her umbilical cord...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I dont see why either. By posting them pictures it only gives her ammo for when she inevitably writes a piece about this thread.

• Advertisement

You're obviously very new to these threads if you think a post laughing at a bodysuit she wore is the ammunition Louise O' Neill would pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hiberno12345

Thanks for your considered post. Yea I have travelled abroad quite a bit, and women's rights in other countries in Europe are far better than here. I was in a European country last week where the men spoke to me with such respect.

What country was this?
    Name the countries with better women's rights?

DredFX wrote: »
    You're obviously very new to these threads if you think a post laughing at a bodysuit she wore is the ammunition Louise O' Neill would pick.

you must be new if you don't think she won't.

"I awoke to news from my sister, most troubled she was after reading a thread on an online forum. After my camomile tea I perused this website only to find my most private pictures being used by men to objectify and humiliate me."

Then a couple hundred more words of tripe and how broken society is or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hiberno12345

Sky King wrote: »
    I see the same arguement over and over again:

Feminist: men are so rapey.
    Man: Hang on... I'm not rapey. We're not all rapey. Why are you implying I'm rapey?
    Feminist: OMG I KNOW YOU ARE NOT RAPEY BUT THIS IS AN IMPORTANT DISCUSSION TO HAVE [goes to twitter] #notallmen
    Man: WTF?

I still haven't resolved this. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Marxist and consquently feminist doublespeak.

Lies are truth e.g. Only Whites can be racist.

Ugly is beauty e.g. fat acceptance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I agree but to be fair in that article she can hardly call them her most private pictures if she is posting them in social media. Not like someone hacked her computer

• Advertisement

Rory28 wrote: »

Ah, here. If Louise plans on writing an article on boards.ie she'd want to get started. She's about three or four threads late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I dont give a monkeys what she looks like and I wish people would stop reposting and quoting that picture so i am not constantly reminded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

"I awoke to news from my sister, most troubled she was after reading a thread on an online forum. After my camomile tea I perused this website only to find my most private pictures being used by men to objectify and humiliate me."

Then a couple hundred more words of tripe and how broken society is or whatever.

Think that was a thread on People's Republic of Cork.

Think that was a thread on People's Republic of Cork.

That wasnt a real quote. I just made that up for poops and giggles.

People's Republic of Cork

Hisssss...

But that is kind of what she intimated in her article in the Examiner anyway.

And on Twitter.

Link to the article?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD NOTE

There have been some posts removed which were discussing an ongoing court case.
    Please be aware that we do not discuss ongoing court cases on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yep women are paid less than men for the same work. That's why you'll notice all the smart businesses only employ women.

While I see where you are going with this, isn’t the theory underpinning the whole gender pay gap argument that women are paid less because they are seen as less valuable? So a business wouldn’t hire someone they think is less valuable to the business simply because they cost less to hire. I’m not saying this is my view. After all, the whole area is more complex than it’s made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

_Dara_ wrote: »
    While I see where you are going with this, isn’t the theory underpinning the whole gender pay gap argument that women are paid less because they are seen as less valuable? So a business wouldn’t hire someone they think is less valuable to the business simply because they cost less to hire. I’m not saying this is my view. After all, the whole area is more complex than it’s made out to be.

There are multiple reason. A vagina instead of a penis isnt the only reason, if it is a reason at all.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »

Far more complex and difficult to articulate in pithy soundbites.

So it suits the Third/Fourth Wave feminist agenda to distill it down to only one factor driving the pay gap.

Gender.

Thanks for your considered post. Yea I have travelled abroad quite a bit, and women's rights in other countries in Europe are far better than here. I was in a European country last week where the men spoke to me with such respect. I came back here and I had to quit a group that I am in in the evenings due to old men in the group saying horrendous things about women, ( one joked about being with a child).
    I have just spoken to my friend who said older men continually sexually harrass her and other women at work. I have never felt as free and happy and not nervous as I do when I am abroad.
    If you look at her interview Dolores O Riordain said that she wanted to bring up her daughters in Canada not in Ireland, as girls were not treated well in Ireland .

I see one of the men on here called me a loon. I have a degree. I have travelled the world working in human rights. This just conforms with what I think about how badly women are treated in Ireland. How men want to belittle them.I dont care anymore- spend my life somewhere where I am treated like a second class citizen, or spend my life free and appreciated abroad. I am out of here for good soon, just saving for the last bit and I cant waut.

Im calling you and your ilk, loons for your lack of respect for the judicial process which all citizens should be entitled to (since you all bang on and lecture us all so much about equality). If you are campaigning for human rights worldwide then perhaps you should remember the right to a fair trial but then that doesnt suit your agenda does it?

Ireland wont miss you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the two are not mutually exclusive.

What country was this?
    Name the countries with better women's rights?

That question might ensue something like a debate which we all know these headcases run a mile from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Louise's latest book is available to pre order now. It's about a young woman who goes out with a man twenty years her senior and how it causes trouble with her family/work/friends but she's just so addicted to this man she can't help it.
    I wonder how the charters will come across?

I should say that I am surprised that Louise...or Una Mullally or McCabe or any of the more vocal and visible Irish feminists out there did not tweet at all about what Dr Ali Selim said about FGM.....

But I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I should say that I am surprised that Louise...or Una Mullally or McCabe or any of the more vocal and visible Irish feminists out there did not tweet at all about what Dr Ali Selim said about FGM.....

But I'm not.

Why would they comment on it ?

In LON's case she's been recently asking her followers if they think Ireland is racist... There's too much of a chance that posting about a topic such as fgm could blow up in her face and get her labelled as being unkind to a culture/religion/belief.

Although they often behave like hysterical idiots RMC and LON's will dodge tackling anything that will severely damage their "brands" and "livelihoods", in fairness to both these ladies are incredibly shewd as their uncanny knack to tow the line when deciding what stories to feed their stupid acolytes. Feeding followers endless stories about rapist rugby stars, rampant misogyny and how they cant leave their homes without being both equally objectified and vilified on a daily basis seems to be just the thing to keep them on others social media feeds.

Weird that people who so frequently champion and post endlessly about "equality" and "my body my choice" choose to be silent about this as it goes against everything they say they stand for... They feed into this monster to remain relevant but run the risk of being eaten themselves by commenting on issues such as Islam and FGM of the reason.

You're not brave ladies, you're just two people who panhandle on a different level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

But I'm not.

This prooves to me that they aren't real feminists.
    This happened IN Ireland, he is a leading figure of Irish Islamic Cultural center and a lecturer in TCD.
    They can't use the excuse that it happened in S. Arabia or Iran and is not relevant.

If a catholic bishop or George Hook said this there twitter accounts would be lit up all weekend.

Nothing though, they're not FEMINISTS!!! - they just hate white men - ,the white powerful "patriarchy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Guys if you use twitter, retweet all the real feminist content from Iran protests and any criticism of A. Selim and copy these 2 lunatics
    @oneilllo (note the 3 l's) and @UnaMullaly

MODS I hope this is ok to mention - but I am just sick of their f*cking hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Louise's latest book is available to pre order now. It's about a young woman who goes out with a man twenty years her senior and how it causes trouble with her family/work/friends but she's just so addicted to this man she can't help it.
    I wonder how the charters will come across?

some of the reviews are negative from what I saw the other day on Amazon....il guess she'll get her snowflake followers who comment on her every post like sam boland to write soliloquys saying its the best thing ever

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement