Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

AfterLife wrote: »
    For what?

How about incitement ?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Locking someone up is a bit extreme no?

He's scum, he thinks crime and destruction is okay.

I'd not lose a second's sleep over it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He's scum, he thinks crime and destruction is okay.

I'd not lose a second's sleep over it.

So people should be locked up for thinking something?

So people should be locked up for thinking something?

Did I say that ?

"Thinking" is fine.

Publishing it to thousands of idiots - at the very least, unwise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Did I say that ?

"Thinking" is fine.

Publishing it to thousands of idiots - at the very least, unwise.

So it would be OK for me to say you should be locked up for expressing that?

• Advertisement

Didn't think that podcast was too bad. I would like to hear her being interviewed and being challenged on her opinions which this wasn't the case at all. Never was gonna be the case. t's a shame there wasn't any stronger questions opposing her views from the audience.

There were a fair few sweeping generalisations based on nothing but that's par for the course with LON.

Strange how she wants to celebrate female masturbation and sex toys but then immediately slates a male sex toy that looks like a torso. I mean, straight after praising and encouraging female sexuality, she slams male sexuality. Has she no self awareness. She goes to make the correlation between the language used in the Belfast Rape Trial and the description of the toy which is fair enough.

She lumped incels, alt-right and mens rights activists all into the same category which is worrying.

I couldn't help but laugh at blindboy saying boards is a sewer whereas his chosen social media platform is twitter which has zero moderation and a cap on the length of content. Its comparing apples and oranges though because twitter is more for pontificating rather than debate.

I'd really question anyone who would walk out in the middle of that live podcast.

Didn't think that podcast was too bad. I would like to hear her being interviewed and being challenged on her opinions which this wasn't the case at all. Never was gonna be the case. t's a shame there wasn't any stronger questions opposing her views from the audience. There were a fair few sweeping generalisations based on nothing but that's par for the course with LON. Strange how she wants to celebrate female masturbation and sex toys but then immediately slates a male sex toy that looks like a torso. I mean, straight after praising and encouraging female sexuality, she slams male sexuality. Has she no self awareness. She goes to make the correlation between the language used in the Belfast Rape Trial and the description of the toy which is fair enough. She lumped incels, alt-right and mens rights activists all into the same category which is worrying. I couldn't help but laugh at blindboy saying boards is a sewer whereas his chosen social media platform is twitter which has zero moderation and a cap on the length of content. Its comparing apples and oranges though because twitter is more for pontificating rather than debate. I'd really question anyone who would walk out in the middle of that.

Yeah..like..promiscuity, being a sex worker is fine..if you're a woman bang who you want..if male, well, you'll have to get these consent forms signed..it is just a victim mentality is it?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Did that wanker say boards is a sewer? What a prick he is.

So it would be OK for me to say you should be locked up for expressing that?

What crime am I committing ?

He was telling his "followers" that it was absolutely fine to loot and rob from a supermarket.

Didn't think that podcast was too bad. I would like to hear her being interviewed and being challenged on her opinions which this wasn't the case at all. Never was gonna be the case. t's a shame there wasn't any stronger questions opposing her views from the audience.

There were a fair few sweeping generalisations based on nothing but that's par for the course with LON.

Strange how she wants to celebrate female masturbation and sex toys but then immediately slates a male sex toy that looks like a torso. I mean, straight after praising and encouraging female sexuality, she slams male sexuality. Has she no self awareness. She goes to make the correlation between the language used in the Belfast Rape Trial and the description of the toy which is fair enough.

She lumped incels, alt-right and mens rights activists all into the same category which is worrying.

I couldn't help but laugh at blindboy saying boards is a sewer whereas his chosen social media platform is twitter which has zero moderation and a cap on the length of content. Its comparing apples and oranges though because twitter is more for pontificating rather than debate.

I'd really question anyone who would walk out in the middle of that live podcast.

Plus when was the last time there was a Boards-storm and we tried to get someone fired or jailed ????

Us 1 - Twitter 0 I'd say.

• Advertisement

What crime am I committing ?

He was telling his "followers" that it was absolutely fine to loot and rob from a supermarket.

and you are telling people on boards that people should be put in prison for speaking their mind

what crime is he committing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Did that wanker say boards is a sewer? What a prick he is.

This time its Boards, for a long time it was The Journal.ie, and when they went after TheJournal, they ended up changing their message boards and entire website in order to cave in to the crazies. Now the thumbs down option is gone, and the comments section is a graveyard. The wrong-think gets deleted.
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Connors? The same guy who backed the lads ransacking Aldi in Dublin that time?
    He's his own worst enemy.

Yep, that same guy. Many people got famous off of Love/Hate, such as Barry Keoghan and Johnny Connors.
    The only thing is, most of those folks kept their heads down, and weren't complete idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Boards is a sewer to Blindboy because people on here call him out on his half-baked bull****.

On Twitter he can just block people who don't agree with him.

Twitter is the perfect forum for both LON and Spar Man.
    A vacuous echo-chamber.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boards is a sewer to Blindboy because people on here call him out on his half-baked bull****.

On Twitter he can just block people who don't agree with him.
    This is about the biggest single reason I have near zero respect for people like him - and there are a lot of them each peddling their own flavour of whatever - is that they can't take any debate at all.

They have bought into whatever credo fits in their heads and treat it like a quasi religion, with central articles of faith that can never be questioned or denied. Anyone who questions them or indeed provides a platform for them to be questioned is immediately and essentially branded a heretic.

Although forums have taken a dive in popularity more in favour of echo chambers of whatever you're having yourself, I have a suspicion that this could well reverse somewhat in the future, as echo chambers are by their very nature unwelcoming and pretty boring to anybody who likes to hear different sides of a position. If that trend does reverse it'll be because of people like Ms. O'Neill and this Blindboy chap.

It's also pretty evident that somewhere deep down such people don't quite believe some of the bullshit they peddle and expect their listeners to believe from on high. Hell, even actually religious people will often defend their position against doubters. Not the Twatteratti though. They just need to preach to the converted. It's safer. And it means they don't have to ask questions that might bring their worldview under scrutiny. People need their worldview to be positive reinforced, even a negative one. People would rather be "right" than happy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I like Blindboy but to be fair boards.ie is hardly worse than Twitter, there are at least some well informed and considered comments here, to go with the ****e. The character limit on Twitter means it is really, really suited to smartarses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

Plus when was the last time there was a Boards-storm and we tried to get someone fired or jailed ????

You just tried to get John Connors jailed for a tweet.

He. Glorified. And. Incited. A. Crime.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

That's almost as big an exaggeration as the tweet you're referencing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He. Glorified. And. Incited. A. Crime.

Jesus wept.

John Connors is a bit of a wanker thread. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Tried to listen to the podcast but had to stop. Can't listen to that gob****e and his concocted Moyross accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Tried to listen to the podcast but had to stop. Can't listen to that gob****e and his concocted Moyross accent.

I tried and failed too.

Pletther? A pletther of Italian cold meats? Its pronounced plethora ya fekkan gob****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I tried and failed too.

Pletther? A pletther of Italian cold meats? Its pronounced plethora ya fekkan gob****e.

You sure he didn't mean 'platter'?

I can't bring myself to listen to it-I know its torture, I don't want to be tortured...I get tortured on a daily basis by stupid stuff (One example, When someone makes me a coffee with the 'mild' coffee brand. I'm tortured because I love coffee-and should be grateful... but I like strong coffee, not mild).
    Listening to BBBC and LON is my version of hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Is Twitter part of Skynet? I'm sure Sarah and the T800 will bust him out. Is Kyle Reese still alive? Wait, which timeline are we in now?

Holy ****!! LON is a machine sent back from the future to destroy humanity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sounds a bit forced alright, but that's part of his schtick I thought? One thing I will say for LON is that she doesn't ape that bloody annoying mid Atlantic accent so many do. And she lived in the US for a few years so could so easily do so and still doesn't put on that accent. She sounds like where she's from, which makes a nice change.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    You'd swear that all men are rapists.
    Feminism: Women are always agentless victims and it's always men's fault. That really is all you need to know of the philosophy. If anyone can show me one central tenet of mainstream feminism that doesn't follow the above, you win a prize. A movement that bleats on ad nauseam about "sexism" yet stereotypes and demonises an entire gender while doing so. You couldn't make this shite up.
    And boards is a sewer?

It's a "sewer" for him/them because such a platform allows a back and forth dialogue that allows questions to be asked, for good and ill. Zealots of any stripe don't like that.

Feminism-2-650.jpg

They'll point to the silly posts as "proof" and use that as a shield to avoid the measured posts that call shenanigans.

There is some merit to the sewer comment.
    There is some god awful stuff posted on this site sometimes.

I've started to listen to the podcast, it's not as bad as folk are making out. There was actually a great bit about when she gave her book to her dad or grandad to read before publishing.
    He revealed something to her that she was blinkered to while writing or didn't consider the consequences of.
    She also answers some of the questions that folk here use as ammo against her, and there is a reasonable answer for them. Maybe an answer that people don't want to hear, but she answered :)

There is some merit to the sewer comment.
    There is some god awful stuff posted on this site sometimes.

It's the internet. Just accept that there are extreme views or crazies out there. It's only really an issue when it's your opinion being disputed by them.

Boards AH attracts loads of nutjob ideas. It always has, but it's well moderated to limit most of it.
    She also answers some of the questions that folk here use as ammo against her, and there is a reasonable answer for them. Maybe an answer that people don't want to hear, but she answered :)

I've only criticised her about her sexist remarks towards men. Oh, and the double standards being applied to men but not women. Can't really justify those ones, since feminism told us all that was wrong when being used towards women... And we are all striving towards a just/equal society, aren't we?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can I just say this is actually the best thread title yet.

• Advertisement

It's the internet. Just accept that there are extreme views or crazies out there. It's only really an issue when it's your opinion being disputed by them.

Boards AH attracts loads of nutjob ideas. It always has, but it's well moderated to limit most of it.

I've only criticised her about her sexist remarks towards men. Oh, and the double standards being applied to men but not women. Can't really justify those ones, since feminism told us all that was wrong when being used towards women... And we are all striving towards a just/equal society, aren't we?

I think that we are on the same page. As much as there is awful stuff posted, there is way more non awful stuff and wonderful folk on boards.
    I agree about the imbalance she has in her views, we are on the same page in that regard :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement