Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There is some merit to the sewer comment.
    There is some god awful stuff posted on this site sometimes.

I've started to listen to the podcast, it's not as bad as folk are making out. There was actually a great bit about when she gave her book to her dad or grandad to read before publishing.
    He revealed something to her that she was blinkered to while writing or didn't consider the consequences of.
    She also answers some of the questions that folk here use as ammo against her, and there is a reasonable answer for them. Maybe an answer that people don't want to hear, but she answered :)

Which ones?

Didn't she also say she wanted to burn down western civilization near the end of the hour..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Which ones?

like not tweeting during the belfast rape trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sounds a bit forced alright, but that's part of his schtick I thought? One thing I will say for LON is that she doesn't ape that bloody annoying mid Atlantic accent so many do. And she lived in the US for a few years so could so easily do so and still doesn't put on that accent. She sounds like where she's from, which makes a nice change.

True. She does have a nice accent tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

There is some god awful stuff posted on this site sometimes

I've started to listen to the podcast, it's not as bad as folk are making out. There was actually a great bit about when she gave her book to her dad or grandad to read before publishing.
    He revealed something to her that she was blinkered to while writing or didn't consider the consequences of.
    She also answers some of the questions that folk here use as ammo against her, and there is a reasonable answer for them. Maybe an answer that people don't want to hear, but she answered :)

It's good in that there is diversity of opinion. It's not like the Guardian comments section. Sure there are some who go too far but it's the internet. What do you expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There is some god awful stuff posted on this site sometimes.

Is that the same grandad she pondered was a rapist or something?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is that the same Grandad she pondered was a rapist or something?

No idea and doesn't even matter if it was, he offered an excellent insight.

No idea and doesn't even matter if it was, he offered an excellent insight.

I don't agree with that. I think most people who have an issue with some of the stuff she says is nothing to do with her book.

I also don't think the premise is that original at all, the discourse about rape has been going on for a long time. Look at movies such as The Accused.

I don't agree with that. I think most people who have an issue with some of the stuff she says is nothing to do with her book.

I also don't think the premise is that original at all, the discourse about rape has been going on for a long time. Look at movies such as The Accused.

The insight is not about the content of the book, it's about the impact it would have on some people that LON didn't consider.

No it was her father who offered the sage advise

• Advertisement

The insight is not about the content of the book, it's about the impact it would have on some people that LON didn't consider.

She may not have considered it but there was other books, films and various media which already dealt with the same subject matter which presumably would impact people in the same way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Possibly - but her three year old self* wondered whether he secretly hated all women when he told her she was his best girl.

* My hoop that happened.

She may not have considered it but there was other books, films and various media which already dealt with the same subject matter which presumably would impact people in the same way.

And The Accused makes Asking for It look like a blank piece of paper.

Which would be an improvement.

She actually made a Freudian slip I thought. She said she wanted her character in the book to be "unlikable", whilst explaining how she used her sexuality. I thought women have overt sexuality was a good thing? Although I'm sure she would pass this off as "unlikable" in the patriarchy sense.

None the less, The Accused had done the same story of the drunk, flirty girl getting raped. I haven't read her book, maybe it's better because it's Irish but it definitely doesn't sound original.:confused:

She actually made a Freudian slip I thought. She said she wanted her character in the book to be "unlikable", whilst explaining how she used her sexuality. I thought women have overt sexuality was a good thing? Although I'm sure she would pass this off as "unlikable" in the patriarchy sense.

None the less, The Accused had done the same story of the drunk, flirty girl getting raped. I haven't read her book, maybe it's better because it's Irish but it definitely doesn't sound original.:confused:

I read it before I knew what a hateful pox she was.

It's carp (sic).

I think that you are missing what I'm trying to say, it's great that she was open to that insight which she hadn't previously considered. It's a fairly heavy thing as well.

It also ties into what I've said on this thread before, she doesn't fully consider everything before posting or writing it publicly. She's human and of course prone to error, but as she has taken this role of being a voice, she needs to take responsibility for it and not be so narrow in her thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That's because the accused is based on a true story. Happened in Mexico, the poor woman was ran out of town and never got justice. Later died in a car accident.

The Accused is interesting in its shocking rape sequence, as well as rape survivor Kelly McGillis playing the lawyer. Can't have been an easy film for her to make.

That's because the accused is based on a true story. Happened in Mexico, the poor woman was ran out of town and never got justice. Later died in a car accident.

The Accused is interesting in its shocking rape sequence, as well as rape survivor Kelly McGillis playing the lawyer. Can't have been an easy film for her to make.

Wow, I really never knew that!

It's a very, very rough film to watch. For years after I avoided a pub I used to frequent merely for having a pinball machine in a quiet back area. Freaked me out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It also ties into what I've said on this thread before, she doesn't fully consider everything before posting or writing it publicly. She's human and of course prone to error, but as she has taken this role of being a voice, she needs to take responsibility for it and not be so narrow in her thinking.
    I suspect much of that is down to the social and philosophical/political circles that folks like her inhabit. It's a small enough circle in somewhere like London, but it's tiny one in Ireland. The circle tends to follow the same general worldviews and supports one another in them. They're not likely to come across views too divergent to their own in everyday life.

Add in social media like twitter where any divergence from the Personal Truth™ is blocked. I've seen this on people's Facebook pages where a subject is brought up and their "friends" pile in with their likes and agreement. Then the nature of newspaper opinion pieces largely being a one sided endeavour also encouraged by editors and editorial slant and it's easy to see how someone could end up not considering much beyond what her circle of mates and coworkers would already agree with and encourage.

Like I say I've seen this with folks not in the public eye. Most of whom would be shocked by someone coming along with a contrary opinion, no matter how well measured. For someone in the public eye, especially those who like, even need the encouragement of audience, this has to be daunting and surprising. Scary too if actual hate mail is going their way. The natural go to human reaction is to then label any dissent as "haters" and is near guaranteed to slam down the portcullis on debate and increase their conviction that they're Right™.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think that you are missing what I'm trying to say, it's great that she was open to that insight which she hadn't previously considered. It's a fairly heavy thing as well.

But I don't think she is very open to insight. She doesn't appear very willing to engage in any meaningful debate, indeed asking her followers on twitter to argue with someone about the pay gap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jodie Foster nailed that role. Not a shock mind you. Helluva actress and scarily intelligent with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

But I don't think she is very open to insight. She doesn't appear very willing to engage in any meaningful debate, indeed asking her followers on twitter to argue with someone about the pay gap.

I think she was solicting them to kill him as she was busy. Possibly another docs appointment like when she missed the march she wanted everyone to go on; or a book tour meaning the missed the 8th vote.

She's a lying pox on womanhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

So I listened to it, it’s not that bad. She actually comes across a bit more eloquent than I expected based on the handful of columns I’ve seen from her. I think some folks here are a little over the top about the sewer comment. Boards can be a sewer. She also implied the same about twitter, when blindboy said he asked for questions there she said it was a terrible idea. Blindboy was a tad ridiculous too calling her “one of the most important voices in Ireland right now.” Sorry, but no. Overall though, I mean I assume the people knew who they were going to see so I’d genuinely question if people actually walked out. I mean, there was nothing that bad said. Her attempts at humour were completely flat, that was about the most offensive thing of it all for me.

So I listened to it, it’s not that bad. She actually comes across a bit more eloquent than I expected based on the handful of columns I’ve seen from her. I think some folks here are a little over the top about the sewer comment. Boards can be a sewer. She also implied the same about twitter, when blindboy said he asked for questions there she said it was a terrible idea. Blindboy was a tad ridiculous too calling her “one of the most important voices in Ireland right now.” Sorry, but no. Overall though, I mean I assume the people knew who they were going to see so I’d genuinely question if people actually walked out. I mean, there was nothing that bad said. Her attempts at humour were completely flat, that was about the most offensive thing of it all for me.

Someone wants the ride there I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

This entire thread reads like a support group for sociopaths.

funny-typing-gif-10.gif

Oooh we've upset the feminists..... sorry Loretta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I don't think anyone here is supporting her...

py2006 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here is supporting her...

M******s M****s and L****L will be here soon.

They're just doing the ironing so. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

funny-typing-gif-10.gif

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement