Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Par for the course for the Far Left who go out to bat for the Palestinians, no questions asked.
    Just look at the Labour Party and the Anti-Semitic issues they are having in their party.

And when told to do something about it - decided to allow people to call Jews "Nazis".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wow, I really never knew that!

It's a very, very rough film to watch. For years after I avoided a pub I used to frequent merely for having a pinball machine in a quiet back area. Freaked me out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl_Araujo

https://lindsaychapie.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/new-bedford-in-1983/

Dang, I thought it was in Mexico-nope, it was America. She was of Portugese descent.

Very harrowing case-the guys were convicted (in contrast to what I had read before) but they got lenient sentences, and it was her who was shoved outta town. Obviously never recovered from it, drove drunk one night and died in a car accident. She was 25. The people who 'hounded her' outta town were her own Portugese community.

Absolutely sickening crime-but the coverage in the media afterwards was far worse. It occurred at a time when the media could reveal the victim's name, it was up to their own discretion to keep it secret or not. They chose not to.

Funny how films can affect people, I knew someone who saw Jaws as a kid, and has never swam in the seasince then. He was travelling home from work one day, and on his route there's a beach. He was thinking to himself 'maybe its time to put that whole movie behind me, and swim in the sea'... and then he saw a dead shark on the sand. Killed that notion of swimming. :D
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Jodie Foster nailed that role. Not a shock mind you. Helluva actress and scarily intelligent with it.

It's a movie I only watched once in Secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

keano_afc wrote: »
    Shapiro is fantastic. He stands up to liberals and calls them out on their nonsense, which is why they protest and label him. Its their hallmark.

This nonsense should be held over him for eternity.
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/friends-of-hamas-and-andrew-breitbarts-legacy

Ipso wrote: »

That is some Olympic gold medal standard straw grasping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Must try harder.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but then we should expect the same standards from all the media outlets. There has been a certain relaxing of standards when it comes to the media during my lifetime, mostly I'd imagine due to the internet/SM and the influence of politics directly affecting media.

The problem is that we only see standards being raised for certain stories or certain journalists but not being applied across the board.

Jesus I completely forgot that Ben Sharpiro was an editor at Breitbart. How can you respect anyone affiliated with that media outlet. You're celebrating someone worse than Piers Morgan.

Jesus I completely forgot that Ben Sharpiro was an editor at Breitbart. How can you respect anyone affiliated with that media outlet. You're celebrating someone worse than Piers Morgan.

Sounds suspiciously like blind prejudice there.

Remember where I asked you to prove he was a bigot? And how making the claim without proving it, would be suggestive of your own "situation"... the above reinforces the impression. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Andrew Breitbart's vision for the website was a 'Huffington Post for the right' and so I treat it exactly as I would the Huffington Post by ignoring it because it's bias-riddled bollix.

• Advertisement

Andrew Breitbart's vision for the website was a 'Huffington Post for the right' and so I treat it exactly as I would the Huffington Post by ignoring it because it's bias-riddled bollix.

Can't argue that as I've not read either but at least that is fair.

My prejudice is based on reading it over the years. Its pure, fabricated garbage. I was somewhat regretting challenging Shapiro earlier, thinking I may have gotten the wrong impression of him, but no. I'm doubling down now. Breitbart is one of the worst media outlets I've ever encountered. They openly admitted to making up stories to incite emotional responses and turn people towards their ideology.

Remember where I asked you to prove he was a bigot? And how making the claim without proving it, would be suggestive of your own "situation"... the above reinforces the impression. :rolleyes:

YouTube videos of him calling people idiots for having differing opinions fits the bill. All this has taught me is that a bigot is not as bad a word as I once thought.

YouTube videos of him calling people idiots for having differing opinions fits the bill. All this has taught me is that a bigot is not as bad a word as I once thought.

Oh it is but you're saying that as it's been - correctly - turned on you.

So, everyone who disagrees with someone else is a bigot.

For me, I'll reserve the term for far more extreme examples relating to the more traditional prejudices. TBH I don't really like the way people are taking these terms (bigot, racist, misogynist, etc) and watering them down to cover far more than they were originally intended to include.

So, everyone who disagrees with someone else is a bigot.

For me, I'll reserve the term for far more extreme examples relating to the more traditional prejudices. TBH I don't really like the way people are taking these terms (bigot, racist, misogynist, etc) and watering them down to cover far more than they were originally intended to include.

I disagree with the DUP's stance on gay marriage.

Apparently that makes them free and me a bigot.

Stop the planet I want to get off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

My prejudice is based on reading it over the years. Its pure, fabricated garbage. I was somewhat regretting challenging Shapiro earlier, thinking I may have gotten the wrong impression of him, but no. I'm doubling down now. Breitbart is one of the worst media outlets I've ever encountered. They openly admitted to making up stories to incite emotional responses and turn people towards their ideology.

Right, but why is Shapiro a bigot?

Grand. Forget about the bigot comment. He's not a bigot. I'll admit my dislike of him led me to use that word.

He's dogmatic in his opinions.

More importantly, he used to be an editor for brietbart ffs. There's probably no point on debating this further as that will forever taint him in my eyes. And it should affect your opinion of him too.

Next your gonna tell me Alex Jones is an upstanding journalist

Grand. Forget about the bigot comment. He's not a bigot. I'll admit my dislike of him led me to use that word.

More importantly, he used to be an editor for brietbart ffs. There's probably no point on debating this further as that will forever taint him in my eyes. And it should affect your opinion of him too.

It's equally unhealthy to disregard a person because of some of their associations.

I don't like Breitbart, and I don't love Shapiro, but I find it hard to argue with nearly anything he says because he tends to back up his statements pretty well.

• Advertisement

Next your gonna tell me Alex Jones is an upstanding journalist

Who mentioned Alex Jones before you?

Who mentioned Alex Jones before you?

Um, nobody? Whats your point

Um, nobody? Whats your point

You bring him up as a tactic to throw Shapiro's name alongside it, so an uninformed observer lumps the two together, knows Alex Jones is a bit of a nutcase, and assumes Shapiro must be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Give him a chance. I would also have an issue with brietbart but i wouldn't write him off just for that. he knows his sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

More importantly, he used to be an editor for brietbart ffs. There's probably no point on debating this further as that will forever taint him in my eyes.

That's all fair and pretty decent of you to admit your mistake or mis-labeling or whatever you wanna call it. You're also more than entitled to your own views on people.

And it should affect your opinion of him too.

Aaaaaand we're back to telling people what to think I see. Bollocks to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You bring him up as a tactic to throw Shapiro's name alongside it, so an uninformed observer lumps the two together, knows Alex Jones is a bit of a nutcase, and assumes Shapiro must be too.

Same tactic the far left use with Jordan Peterson. They lump him in with Richard Spencer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I started listening to the blindboy podcast, just switched it off before the interview with LON started, couldn't take it.

How that gob****e is taken seriously is beyond me ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I started listening to the blindboy podcast, just switched it off before the interview with LON started, couldn't take it.

Try listening to Ash Sarkar for 5 minutes. She's now celebrated for telling Piers Morgan she's "literally a communist". With her iPhone and creepy nails she wouldn't last 5 minutes under communism. Her brand of "politics" probably plays well with the Love Island set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

professore wrote: »
    Try listening to Ash Sarkar for 5 minutes. She's now celebrated for telling Piers Morgan she's "literally a communist". With her iPhone and creepy nails she wouldn't last 5 minutes under communism. Her brand of "politics" probably plays well with the Love Island set.

oh yeah that absolute fool, I did see her.
    Why doesn't she move to communist utopia Venezuela ?

• Advertisement

Like Bressie, he played the mental health card al the way to the bank.

Apparently, listening to counsellors, experts in their field and the medical/psychological/psychiatric profession isn't the done thing nowadays.

Failed singers and whatever the hell the Rubber Bandits are is de rigeur.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement