Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Those feminist loons are dangerous and its beyond comprehension how idiotic they are. With regards the Paddy Jackman case, so they believe a girl they have never met by virtue of the fact that she has a vagina and the men in the dock have penises? :confused: Because this is what it looks like. They must be guilty and she just cant be lying.

As far as Loopey Lou and her band of idiot feminists are concerned the men are already guilty and are not entitled to a fair trial. Its absolutely disgraceful what they are doing :mad:

They are at huge risk of causing trial by media and worst is that the irresponsible pr1cks running the media are giving them free reign to spout their unfounded bile!

Spot on. Just like their ridiculous argument for refusing to allow anonymity for the accused in a rape trial. Apparently - and I mean apparently- it helps other woman who have been sexually assaulted come forward. So, regardless of whether the accused is actually guilty, his name should be splashed across the papers so that other people - complete strangers to him - might pluck up the courage to complain.

These people are completely impervious to reason and logic. It's pointless trying to engage with them because they are 100 per cent invested in their ideology and won't tolerate any dissent.

Flower124 wrote: »
    Thanks for your considered post. Yea I have travelled abroad quite a bit, and women's rights in other countries in Europe are far better than here. I was in a European country last week where the men spoke to me with such respect. I came back here and I had to quit a group that I am in in the evenings due to old men in the group saying horrendous things about women, ( one joked about being with a child).
    I have just spoken to my friend who said older men continually sexually harrass her and other women at work. I have never felt as free and happy and not nervous as I do when I am abroad.
    If you look at her interview Dolores O Riordain said that she wanted to bring up her daughters in Canada not in Ireland, as girls were not treated well in Ireland .

I see one of the men on here called me a loon. I have a degree. I have travelled the world working in human rights. This just conforms with what I think about how badly women are treated in Ireland. How men want to belittle them.I dont care anymore- spend my life somewhere where I am treated like a second class citizen, or spend my life free and appreciated abroad. I am out of here for good soon, just saving for the last bit and I cant waut.
    You know well this country has a long, long history of treating women badly.

Calm down, Louise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

some of the reviews are negative from what I saw the other day on Amazon....il guess she'll get her snowflake followers who comment on her every post like sam boland to write soliloquys saying its the best thing ever

I'll be honest with you I don't think I'll read the book because I don't think it will be for me and it seems a little predictable.
    Anybody who doesn't like this book though will just be called an internet troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'll be honest with you I don't think I'll read the book because I don't think it will be for me and it seems a little predictable.
    Anybody who doesn't like this book though will just be called an internet troll.

Exactly it will be like if you didn't like the new Ghostbusters film you're a racist ... :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

some of the reviews are negative from what I saw the other day on Amazon....il guess she'll get her snowflake followers who comment on her every post like sam boland to write soliloquys saying its the best thing ever

Some pretty damning reviews, and all from "fans" of her.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Almost-Love-Louise-ONeill/product-reviews/1784298867/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Reading the plot to this it sounds like Sex and the City. Sarah is a more vicious Carrie Bradshaw (self-centered, narcissist), Oisin is Aidan and the rich older guy is Mr Big.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

:rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/962780517736296449

Roy Harper,barely visible. Now there's a bona fide legend.

darkdubh wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/962780517736296449

Roy Harper,barely visible. Now there's a bona fide legend.

Took me two seconds to remove. I'm so petty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Flower124 wrote: »
    Thanks for your considered post. Yea I have travelled abroad quite a bit, and women's rights in other countries in Europe are far better than here. I was in a European country last week where the men spoke to me with such respect. I came back here and I had to quit a group that I am in in the evenings due to old men in the group saying horrendous things about women, ( one joked about being with a child).
    I have just spoken to my friend who said older men continually sexually harrass her and other women at work. I have never felt as free and happy and not nervous as I do when I am abroad.
    If you look at her interview Dolores O Riordain said that she wanted to bring up her daughters in Canada not in Ireland, as girls were not treated well in Ireland .

I see one of the men on here called me a loon. I have a degree. I have travelled the world working in human rights. This just conforms with what I think about how badly women are treated in Ireland. How men want to belittle them.I dont care anymore- spend my life somewhere where I am treated like a second class citizen, or spend my life free and appreciated abroad. I am out of here for good soon, just saving for the last bit and I cant waut.
    You know well this country has a long, long history of treating women badly.

Lots of non Irish European women would disagree with you. Unless you are talking about Sweden or maybe some other Scandinavian country perhaps, several have told me how respectful and non hassling Irish men are compared to their European counterparts. How Irish men can take no for an answer unlike Italian. Spanish and French men. So either they are all lying to me, a middle aged guy that they have no reason to lie to or you have a small bit of a skewed view.

My own daughter said the same thing, she feared for her life in the middle of a large European city. In broad daylight.

I lived in a northern European city for years and my wife is European. Women are treated better here than there and someone like LON would be ridiculed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I don't get the connection?

famous resident of Clonakilty, and an actual author

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If fairness your link shows the book only has 6 reviews spread across 5 categories, it is far from conclusive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Italian, Spanish and French men or New 'Italian' 'Spanish' and 'French' men?
    '

No. Italian, Spanish and French men. A lot of them don't take no for answer or are more persistent than Irish men. They'll chance their arms. That's not to say they WON'T take no for an answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Some friends are taking their daughters to see the stage version-I think- of one of LON's books. I didn't quite catch what the event is exactly, but felt sad for the impressionable girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some friends are taking their daughters to see the stage version-I think- of one of LON's books. I didn't quite catch what the event is exactly, but felt sad for the impressionable girls.

If you ever watch Elaine on TV3 her book Asking for it often gets brought up and the panelists always say I'm making my teenage daughter read this/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Took me two seconds to remove. I'm so petty.

Still gone :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

might be the feminist retelling of the Little Mermaid as she was bleating about it ...how painful that would be, I wouldn't let her near a child with the nonsense she comes out with

I recall her documentary on RTE not being that bad at all tbh. Some decent stuff in there if you detach her from it. Her online presence and article's are poisonous but maybe her other media isn't as bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

I recall her documentary on RTE not being that bad at all tbh. Some decent stuff in there if you detach her from it. Her online presence and article's are poisonous but maybe her other media isn't as bad?

she didn't get the concept of innocent till proven guilty as the barrister had to explain it to her, as she wanted it the other way around, if I remember it correctly, she had no white straight males on it (of course), she pulled the fake tears at the end (like her friend Rosemary McCabe did after her story blew up in her face so her "are you ok hun" brigade would feel sorry for her) and a radio show (I believe it was Niall Boylan) called her out for having I hate men in her twitter bio and other tweets she had....and it seemed to me it was to push her narrative that Is "men bad, women victims"

I wouldn't want someone of her ilk discussing a topic like that as she is clearly troubled with her issues against men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You don't know what they're going to see but you feel sorry for them? Maybe you should find out what something is before you make your mind up about it.

Grayson wrote: »
    You don't know what they're going to see but you feel sorry for them? Maybe you should find out what something is before you make your mind up about it.

If it's based on one of LON's books I think we know what it's about.

I spoke to someone who has crossed paths with her professionally and was surprised to hear that she didn't like her at all. I won't get too specific but there was some rough language used. :pac:

she didn't get the concept of innocent till proven guilty as the barrister had to explain it to her, as she wanted it the other way around, if I remember it correctly, she had no white straight males on it (of course), she pulled the fake tears at the end (like her friend Rosemary McCabe did after her story blew up in her face so her "are you ok hun" brigade would feel sorry for her) and a radio show (I believe it was Niall Boylan) called her out for having I hate men in her twitter bio and other tweets she had....and it seemed to me it was to push her narrative that Is "men bad, women victims"

I wouldn't want someone of her ilk discussing a topic like that as she is clearly troubled with her issues against men

I'm going to have to rewatch it and try remain impartial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

I spoke to someone who has crossed paths with her professionally and was surprised to hear that she didn't like her at all. I won't get too specific but there was some rough language used. :pac:

We demand specifics and we demand them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Grayson wrote: »

I said I don't know what type of event it is,a play or an interview or book signing or what. It sounded like a performance that was based on her writing so that's the issue. I think LON isn't a good role model for girls, she's too embittered and emotionally volatile and as has been said, doesn't agree with people being treated as innocent until proven guilty. IMO she even has a bad attitude to her own parents, treats her mother like a stupid servant, and doesn't demonstrate much personal integrity and responsibility..

If the rumours are true and her and Ryan Tubridy are an item - can you imagine if they have kids ... the poisonous nonsense they will be brought up on.

Hopefully she never wants kids and Ryan has had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If the rumours are true and her and Ryan Tubridy are an item - can you imagine if they have kids ... the poisonous nonsense they will be brought up on.

really? cant see it lasting, she is a nutter

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    really? cant see it lasting, she is a nutter

Im getting this from earlier on on this thread, it could be total bollocks of course.

She may be a nutter yes, but he's a bit strange too - to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What?? I thought Tubridy was happily married no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement