Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I didn’t think she said anything controversial.

She never does. Her worst 'crime' is being a bit dull. Just not as dull as those who think she's some kind of radical.

What was she saying to burn down, towards the end?..

The patriarchy/western civilization?

She's an ideologue..A useful idiot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

She doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is that her BS goes unchallenged. People that espouse these ideas are never challenged over their divisive and disingenuous BS and the now ubiquitous victim/ aggressor mentality will harm the relationships between young people... all facilitated by cowards in public life and media who have a virtue-signalling box to tick of a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

cantdecide wrote: »
    She doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is that her BS goes unchallenged. People that espouse these ideas are never challenged over their divisive and disingenuous BS and the now ubiquitous victim/ aggressor mentality will harm the relationships between young people... all facilitated by cowards in public life and media who have a virtue-signalling box to tick of a day.

Did she say much that was divisive or needed to be challenged in the Blindboy podcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I just listened to the Blindboy podcast interview with LON. She comes across grand. Just a person doing their but to advance the causes in which they believe.

I didn’t think she said anything controversial. It was my first time listening to an interview with her and she failed to live up to the grotesque caricature I’ve seen portrayed on this thread.

The "grotesque caricature" portrayed on this thread has been based on actual comments that she has made in the past and articles that she has written.

I'd admit, she was well behaved in that podcast and is clearly, it would appear, beginning to dial back on some of the more ridiculous views that she has been espousing down the years and so perhaps this thread has had a good affect in that regard and helped her see how wrongheaded she has been.

Not just this thread of course, all though it's clearly played a part giving some of her comments, but also certain things such as being threatened with legal action.

That kind of thing will make you cop on fierce quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Did she say much that was divisive or needed to be challenged in the Blindboy podcast?

ever read her tweets or articles in the examiner...especially that bizzare rant on her grandfather

agreed with outlaw pete, she seems to be reigned in lately, must be an agent or someone told her to dial it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The "grotesque caricature" portrayed on this thread has been based on actual comments that she has made in the past and articles that she has written.

I'd admit, she was well behaved in that podcast and is clearly, it would appear, beginning to dial back on some of the more ridiculous views that she has been espousing down the years and so perhaps this thread has had a good affect in that regard and helped her see how wrongheaded she has been.

Not just this thread of course, all though it's clearly played a part giving some of her comments, but also certain things such as being threatened with legal action.

Perhaps because she is in a relationship now.

I just listened to the Blindboy podcast interview with LON. She comes across grand. Just a person doing their but to advance the causes in which they believe.

must look that up next.

I did a google for it, and instead came across blindboy interviewing Vincent Browne; they're both slightly off their tits! Still, it's a lot more cogent than anything you'll hear from our (presumably) sober politicians.

https://player.fm/series/the-blindboy-podcast

... and so perhaps this thread has had a good affect in that regard and helped her see how wrongheaded she has been.

Lol. It never occurred to me this thread was trying to help LON. I bet the main contributors are thrilled they have helped LON in her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Lol. It never occurred to me this thread was trying to help LON. I bet the main contributors are thrilled they have helped LON in her career.

Anything that keeps her in her box.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »

Anything that keeps her in her box.

LOL And do you take credit for helping put her in her box?

I wonder if anyone has thought of calling her a feminazi? The would surely soften her cough. If someone got on Twitter and called her names like feminazi, it would surely be /LON.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I read Roe McDermott’s advice columns in the Times on a Saturday.
    I dunno, but I think her advice is fecking dangerous, has a v negative view of male-female relationships, seems to think they’re all about power and dominance rather than love, affection or even fun.
    For me it’d be grand if it was just for feminist academics and people basically living up in the clouds rather than the real world, but the worrying thing is she is writing for people who are vulnerable enough to write to a newspaper looking for help. They could lap it up.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I wonder if LON will get sued regarding the Belfast trial article she wrote-implying the verdict was wrong?

I think her mam and dad were like 'we're not paying for a lawsuit' to her. When she's living rent free at home, despite being 'a strong independent woman' (*chortle*) but suddenly has a defamation case brought against her, no amount of books she sells, or sucking up to Amy Huberman to get that tacky Newbridge Silverware she so desperately tries (and fails) to get will keep her in check.
    I dunno, but I think her advice is fecking dangerous, has a v negative view of male-female relationships, seems to think they’re all about power and dominance rather than love, affection or even fun.
    For me it’d be grand if it was just for feminist academics and people basically living up in the clouds rather than the real world, but the worrying thing is she is writing for people who are vulnerable enough to write to a newspaper looking for help. They could lap it up.
    Any thoughts?

Roe's a wacko, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Anyone who makes any reference to the lad who wears a plastic bag on his face needs to take a step back and reevaluate their lives. No matter whether it's on topic or not, there is no excuse.

I agree with what's been said about LON so far. Girl's a little soft in the head but if you're looking for a freakshow like Anita Sarkesian or Brianna Wu you won't find it.

Anyone who makes any reference to the lad who wears a plastic bag on his face needs to take a step back and reevaluate their lives. No matter whether it's on topic or not, there is no excuse.

I agree with what's been said about LON so far. Girl's a little soft in the head but if you're looking for a freakshow like Anita Sarkesian or Brianna Wu you won't find it.

Gah-way to be transphobic regarding Wu ;) ... (even tho she claims to be a red blooded woman).

I think Zoe Quinn is far worse than Wu, but mostly because she's squandering every penny of kickstarter/ indiegogo money she gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

LOL And do you take credit for helping put her in her box?

I wonder if anyone has thought of calling her a feminazi? The would surely soften her cough. If someone got on Twitter and called her names like feminazi, it would surely be /LON.

Yes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

She was also quite reasonable on the BBC radio interview she did with Jordan Peterson and a few others, I think when she can't back up and defend her statements she will be level headed, but on Twitter where she doesn't need to defend it - she can just go mad.

She seems to be off twitter at the moment anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Any thoughts?
    Really? I take a read of them every now and then and I never got that impression at all. At times she might wear her ideology on her sleeve (who doesn't?) but for the most part it is fairly run of the mill stuff that she says.

Do you have any examples of where she gave out 'dangerous' advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Any thoughts?

Remember seeing her profile on POF a few years ago.

Came across as a nutter

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yes. :rolleyes:
    That’s what I was thinking.

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    Really? I take a read of them every now and then and I never got that impression at all. At times she might wear her ideology on her sleeve (who doesn't?) but for the most part it is fairly run of the mill stuff that she says.

Maybe dangerous is a bit strong, unhelpful I would think though. It often looks to me like her own views on wider society are being brought to bear on the issues, like she wants to make broad points rather than solely focusing on what's best for the person who writes in.

I could be doing her an injustice, but I think she is a full time journalist rather than a psychologist. I'd have an issue with people who are not psychologists/counsellors setting themselves up as authorities in general, not just her.

You don't remember her painting about 200 males as rapists based on a non-existent facebook group? She literally screamed in her mom and dad's cottage in Cork. The investigation carried out to find the fb group came up with... it didn't exist, ever.

Not accepting of the verdict in the Belfast rape trial, then using it to plug her book?

That young men who have their nude images leaked on twitter don't suffer the same as women because of '100's of years of oppression'. Well, tell that to the young guys who killed themselves because of leaked nudes.

When she actually was threatened with a lawsuit for calling a guy a rapist on twitter, so much so she had to apologise?

She's quite dangerous. In no way, shape or form, is she 'normal'.

Or how about this for 'rape culture'-the myth she peddles. A 29 year old woman sexually assaulted a 14 year old boy. Her punishment? Probation, and still allowed to teach in the future. Reverse the genders, and LON wouldn't leave twitter with her meltdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6160841/Female-teacher-29-sentenced-10-years-probation-sexual-relationship-male-student-14.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

I think LON might be toning things down a little. She seems to be taking an extended break from social media and she has a boyfriend now. I’d honestly say those things will be good for her mental health and may be cause for the less vitriolic and mental opinions shes tended to spout over the years.

Someone with those types of black and white ideas about the sexes and the “patriarchy” are clearly a bit unhinged and nowhere near happy. Roe McD is another example of that with her black goth-like brooding selfies and “fcuk the patriarchy” posts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Maybe dangerous is a bit strong, unhelpful I would think though. It often looks to me like her own views on wider society are being brought to bear on the issues, like she wants to make broad points rather than solely focusing on what's best for the person who writes in.

I could be doing her an injustice, but I think she is a full time journalist rather than a psychologist. I'd have an issue with people who are not psychologists/counsellors setting themselves up as authorities in general, not just her.
    Most people who have advice columns wouldn't be qualified psychologists. IIRC I think she mostly deals with relationship queries and whatnot, and sure all you really need for that is a bit of life experience. The column is presented as a place to look for advice, but naturally if the problem was something that required a mental health professional, then she would advise that they seek them out. That is pretty much uniform across all advice columns.
    You don't remember her painting about 200 males as rapists based on a non-existent facebook group? She literally screamed in her mom and dad's cottage in Cork. The investigation carried out to find the fb group came up with... it didn't exist, ever.

Not accepting of the verdict in the Belfast rape trial, then using it to plug her book?

That young men who have their nude images leaked on twitter don't suffer the same as women because of '100's of years of oppression'. Well, tell that to the young guys who killed themselves because of leaked nudes.

When she actually was threatened with a lawsuit for calling a guy a rapist on twitter, so much so she had to apologise?

She's quite dangerous. In no way, shape or form, is she 'normal'.

Or how about this for 'rape culture'-the myth she peddles. A 29 year old woman sexually assaulted a 14 year old boy. Her punishment? Probation, and still allowed to teach in the future. Reverse the genders, and LON wouldn't leave twitter with her meltdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6160841/Female-teacher-29-sentenced-10-years-probation-sexual-relationship-male-student-14.html
    You got the wrong end of the stick there. I was not talking about LON, I was talking about Roe McDermott's advice column in the IT on Saturday. As advice columns go, she dishes out mostly the same information that they all do. There is very little wrong with it IMO. I was responding to another poster who said that they believed it was 'dangerous' and to be fair they later clarified that they were more or less being hyperbolic.

The Sunday Indo have always had qualified and experienced counselors for their advice stuff. I think it’s disappointing the Irish Times aren’t doing the same thing. You’ve got to realize people writing in are likely to be vulnerable, as are people reading the columns for some help with their own lives.
    The IT is a proper paper too, expect a better standard.

The Sunday Indo have always had qualified and experienced counselors for their advice stuff. I think it’s disappointing the Irish Times aren’t doing the same thing. You’ve got to realize people writing in are likely to be vulnerable, as are people reading the columns for some help with their own lives.
    The IT is a proper paper too, expect a better standard.
    IIRC I believe Dr Ciara Kelly does the advice column in the Sindo? Counselling would not be her area of expertise. Not that it matters, anyways. This is going a good bit off topic. :D

As a general rule for the complex stuff, advice columnists will always go to a professional for help with their answers. There is no fear of anybody going off the deep end reading their answers.

IIRC I believe Dr Ciara Kelly does the advice column in the Sindo? Counselling is would not be her area of expertise. Not that it matters, anyways. This is going a good bit off topic. :D

As a general rule for the complex stuff, advice columnists will always go to a professional for help with their answers. There is no fear of anybody going off the deep end reading their answers.

True-she got a fairly good bashing from Niamh Horan over her 'PC' ways regarding health and obesity. As Horan said, she's a doctor, she can't be 'PC' because there's science, and facts, versus opinions. She did make a valid point about the egregious comments overweight people often can get.

But then again, if a patient presented themselves in an unhealthy way, and then proceeded to pull the 'love me as I am' crud, I imagine she'd tell them 'find another doctor'. We've already had one overweight woman claim the NHS were 'fat-shaming' people for saying 'Obesity causes cancer'.
    Facts aren't fat shaming.

(The discussion with Horan and Kelly was regarding the Morbidly Obese model on the cover of Cosmo).

IIRC I believe Dr Ciara Kelly does the advice column in the Sindo? Counselling is would not be her area of expertise. Not that it matters, anyways. This is going a good bit off topic. :D

No, it’s Mary O’Connor, Ciara Kelly writes opinion. I think it does matter greatly tbh, people writing in are very likely to be vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

She's on the Ray Darcy Show tonight to plug her play and remind us that men are evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Skid X wrote: »
    She's on the Ray Darcy Show tonight to plug her play and remind us that men are evil.

Good man Skid :D I thought the mods had locked this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement