Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Her parents let her stay up late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Her parents let her stay up late?

Whats she sounding off about now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,746 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd say the house revolves around her, on tippy toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

What an A Hole.

Whats she sounding off about now?

She said that she’s living at home with her parents at the age of 33. Snowflake hasn’t been weaned yet.

• Advertisement

I think LON might be toning things down a little. She seems to be taking an extended break from social media and she has a boyfriend now.

Good luck to that poor sap. I hear masochism is a lifestyle choices these days

She made the right decision for herself to go off social media. She is a very brittle person and should focus on her health.

She's talking about all the trolling, hate mail and "feral minds on social media". Anybody here know anything about this?

She seems like a lovely girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Hate mail, who on earth would waste there time and send her anything other than a Dear john letter.

She said that she’s living at home with her parents at the age of 33. Snowflake hasn’t been weaned yet.

......and this is a unique position for this poor snowflake because....? I pity her poor parents having to listen to all that "toxic male masculinity, STEM is sexist, patriarchal society keeping women down, rape culture"...... the poor father must have taken to the bottle at some stage at his wits end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The poor mother driving her all the way up, sitting in the car and the driving her all the way down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Louise O'Neil has been replaced by the Dailyedge.ie (part of The Journal) it has an incredibly anti male agenda

Water John wrote: »
    She made the right decision for herself to go off social media. She is a very brittle person and should focus on her health.

I bought 30 copies of her last book and I am getting a few copies before the winter sets in........ have to keep the Stanley stove fed over the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

so she couldn't even get a ticket to the Late Late show where Ryan interviewed Irish people abroad? God, thought she'd have had some pull to get a free holiday.

so she couldn't even get a ticket to the Late Late show where Ryan interviewed Irish people abroad? God, thought she'd have had some pull to get a free holiday.

Too far away from her Safe Place.

Too far away from her Safe Place.

More like Ryan needed a break from her and her ilk-no way he was gonna spend his one paid weekend away to bring her over.

razorblunt wrote: »
    The poor mother driving her all the way up, sitting in the car and the driving her all the way down again.

Its days like this you thank god for small miracles like Prozac and Zanax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

A bit old to be a snowflake though. Or else she is cutting edge Snowflake, and one of the first of her kind.
    The true, mass-market, snowflake generation are all under 28.

Main talking point I thought though, was her dress. I wasnt enamoured with its print, though generally liking simple geometric patterns. Just didnt do anything for me, and while the colour was quite nice, the size of the baubles in the design made it a bit too stark and contrasted. Baubles about a 5th of the size maybe would have worked.

A bit old to be a snowflake though. Or else she is cutting edge Snowflake, and one of the first of her kind.
    The true, mass-market, snowflake generation are all under 28.

Main talking point I thought though, was her dress. I wasnt enamoured with its print, though generally liking simple geometric patterns. Just didnt do anything for me, and while the colour was quite nice, the size of the baubles in the design made it a bit too stark and contrasted. Baubles about a 5th of the size maybe would have worked.

Nah, Snowflakes are of any age.
    (So sexist to criticise what a woman was wearing-internalised misogyny at its worst ;) ).

Did she mention Frances Fitzgerald? A genuine woman who was screwed over over a year ago? The Maurice Mccabe tribunal showed she was genuinely wronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

She didn’t come across badly, too prone to talking her work up though. I actually think she is very vulnerable, maybe writing opinion columns and going on chat shows, two things that make abuse inevitable, is a bit unwise. There’s no point in complaining about that stick, it goes with the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

To save me googling this woman could someone write a short paragraph telling me a bit about her. I see her name popping up everywhere these days

She didn’t come across badly, too prone to talking her work up though. I actually think she is very vulnerable, maybe writing opinion columns and going on chat shows, two things that make abuse inevitable, is a bit unwise. There’s no point in complaining about that stick, it goes with the work.

I imagine she was worried she'd get a tougher interview from Ray than she would the likes of Ryan.
    Ryan's a soft touch, Ray doesn't have the same audience and most don't give a crap about his show, so anything goes.

Sunny you are right, she should drop the Examiner column anyway. Stick to writing the novels and plays. Not to diagnose but BPS would be my reckoning.
    She needs to mind herself, first.

Water John wrote: »
    Sunny you are right, she should drop the Examiner column anyway. Stick to writing the novels and plays. Not to diagnose but BPS would be my reckoning.
    She needs to mind herself, first.

What is "BPS"? Or do you mean " BPD"?
    I'm genuinely curious what behaviour LON exhibits that would lead you to believe she is suffering a mental health disorder? I don't k ow much about her so asking honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Ah something isn't right. The eyes give it away. She seems to live in a different world to the rest of us. Harmless on her own at home but she has a platform and some vulnerable young women listen to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

For a feminist she sure seems to have a ****ty attitude to her mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just watched the interview and think it was nothing short of a fcuking disgrace.

Ignoring the fact that arsehole Darcy spoke about rape culture as if it's an actually thing, he more infuriatingly then tee'd her up to compare the situation in her book (a brutal gang rape) with the Belfast rape trial. At no stage did he say 'I must point out that the men at the center of that case in Belfast were all found not-guilty' which he absolutely should have considering what was being discussed.

She went on to say that that when the verdict was reached she just had to speak out and Ray doesn't ask her why. Her saying that she had to speak out given the verdict that was reached was her suggesting, on our national broadcaster, that the jury were wrong and the men were in fact guilty as charged. Why else would she have felt compelled to speak out otherwise.

Darcy had an opportunity here to broach the topic of 'Guilty until proven Innocent' which we are currently seeing more and more of these days, especially in the case of Kavanaugh in the states. He could have, and should have, asked her why she feels we should automatically believe women, given that to do so means the automatic presumption of guilt of men.

Oh and as for her BS about having to get off Twitter for the sake of her mental health, we are talking about a platform where you can block and mute users, where they have their accounts closed if they are seen to harass you (especially those with a blue tick) and yet even then, in what eventually amounts to an echo chamber, with all the inevitable backslapping and virtual hugs, she can't take it.

Bollox is what I say. It's not the abuse that Louise can't take on Twitter, it's people pointing out her wrongheadedness. It's people saying to her that perhaps assuming men's guilt is not very nice and calling Christmas songs evidence of rape a bit ott. It's people tweeting her many examples of women imprisoned for false allegations of rape when she says 'Why would a woman lie'. It's highlighting examples of people like John Leslie when she says powerful men's careers do fine even if falsely accused. It's all this that she can't handle. She's happy in her delusion and doesn't want to deal with anyone daring to disagree with her. Well, she must love being interviewed by muppets like Darcy so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

In this day age if Darcy had of disagreed with her or questioned her he would called allsorts and accused of all sorts by feminists and no doubt loose his job.

Would have thought once she was getting the ride on the regular she'd calm down a small bit..

(Once yer man had all the appropriate paperwork in order..)

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    In this day age if Darcy had of disagreed with her or questioned her he would called allsorts and accused of all sorts by feminists and no doubt loose his job.

*lose*-not loose.

Just watched the interview and think it was nothing short of a fcuking disgrace.

Ignoring the fact that arsehole Darcy spoke about rape culture as if it's an actually thing, he more infuriatingly then tee'd her up to compare the situation in her book (a brutal gang rape) with the Belfast rape trial. At no stage did he say 'I must point out that the men at the center of that case in Belfast were all found not-guilty' which he absolutely should have considering what was being discussed.

She went on to say that that when the verdict was reached she just had to speak out and Ray doesn't ask her why. Her saying that she had to speak out given the verdict that was reached was her suggesting, on our national broadcaster, that the jury were wrong and the men were in fact guilty as charged. Why else would she have felt compelled to speak out otherwise.

Darcy had an opportunity here to broach the topic of 'Guilty until proven Innocent' which we are currently seeing more and more of these days, especially in the case of Kavanaugh in the states. He could have, and should have, asked her why she feels we should automatically believe women, given that to do so means the automatic presumption of guilt of men.

Oh and as for her BS about having to get off Twitter for the sake of her mental health, we are talking about a platform where you can block and mute users, where they have their accounts closed if they are seen to harass you (especially those with a blue tick) and yet even then, in what eventually amounts to an echo chamber, with all the inevitable backslapping and virtual hugs, she can't take it.

Bollox is what I say. It's not the abuse that Louise can't take on Twitter, it's people pointing out her wrongheadedness. It's people saying to her that perhaps assuming men's guilt is not very nice and calling Christmas songs evidence of rape a bit ott. It's people tweeting her many examples of women imprisoned for false allegations of rape when she says 'Why would a woman lie'. It's highlighting examples of people like John Leslie when she says powerful men's careers do fine even if falsely accused. It's all this that she can't handle. She's happy in her delusion and doesn't want to deal with anyone daring to disagree with her. Well, she must love being interviewed by muppets like Darcy so.

Sure he had whats' her name, Senator Ruane, isn't it? Talking about 'consent' and how her rape would be prevented because of lack of 'consent'...

Her rape occurred when she was asleep after a few drinks, in her own house, and some scumbag wandered in and raped her as she was sleeping. The guy wouldn't have taken no for an answer, and he clearly knew he did something wrong.
    There was no questioning the 'consent' crap there either. This guy didn't even ask for consent, he just raped her. Yet somehow they think monsters 'listen' to their victims.

As for the comments from Ray...well, that's just idiocy on his part. He's been called up for his BS claims on his radio station, so allowing her to make slanderous claims on his show...that's f***ing bull****.
    And to use it to promote her book, again...she's evil. No other words. Evil.

Making money on the back of other people's misery (because there were no winners-and if, and I say 'if' the girl was raped, she's making money from her too). Will she donate anything to a rape charity? Hell no.
    Nope, play the victim, give crap to her mother, and proclaim herself a 'strong feminist'.

She goes to several therapists, and somehow none of them call her up on her crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement