Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

So she experienced eating disorders while working for Elle, a female targeted magazine, with a female audience, talking about all things female and fashion, an industry with an outrageous gender pay gap in favour of women...and yet it is the fault of the patriarchy!!

This is why I have a huge issue with the toxic narrative that feminism is becoming, take The Daily Edge (a part of The Journal), they pepper the section with a nasty narrative that men area at fault for all female ills, including this beauty http://www.dailyedge.ie/personal-safey-4227966-Sep2018/ they also pepper it with beauty tips and fashion tips, beauty tips that is....not healthy tips on how to improve your self worth....but beauty tips...how to look good! They'll blame any body issues on the patriarchy, this is what I mean by toxic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

So she experienced eating disorders while working for Elle, a female targeted magazine, with a female audience, talking about all things female and fashion, an industry with an outrageous gender pay gap in favour of women...and yet it is the fault of the patriarchy!!

This is why I have a huge issue with the toxic narrative that feminism is becoming, take The Daily Edge (a part of The Journal), they pepper the section with a nasty narrative that men area at fault for all female ills, including this beauty http://www.dailyedge.ie/personal-safey-4227966-Sep2018/ they also pepper it with beauty tips and fashion tips, beauty tips that is....not healthy tips on how to improve your self worth....but beauty tips...how to look good! They'll blame any body issues on the patriarchy, this is what I mean by toxic!

Jesus, read some of the articles on the Daily edge....the journal ramped up the sjw/triggered articles by 100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

givyjoe wrote: »
    Not really plausible If you literally read what lon herself wrote, which wibbs literally quote. As for being indoctrinated, you only need browse through her toxic views of and towards men.

I did read the exact quote and it’s entirely plausible. The only thing directly attributed to the therapist is an incredibly uncontroversial linking of eating disorders to body image. Oooo she sounds like real radical feminist. Just because LON calls her a strong feminist doesn’t mean she was a radical feminist therapist who indoctrinated her clients into thinking the exact same way she does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jesus, read some of the articles on the Daily edge....the journal ramped up the sjw/triggered articles by 100

The Dailyedge.ie is poison. It's actually ridiculous. It used be very good a few years back but the ones who were a bit of craic left and were replaced by Louise version 2.0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LLMMLL wrote: »
    You keep using the words “of course” to describe the potential influence of political ideologies in therapy. But it’s anything but certain.
    It's more likely. Hence all accredited agencies make great efforts to make sure their members do not introduce such ideologies.
    Sure a therapist would be expected to be relatively objective. But every single therapist (apart from the ones who just listen and reframe your thoughts back to you as questions) will bring some worldview to any advice they give. It would only really be a problem if it was radical.
    I would consider feminism radical. Certainly those who self identify as such and are well versed in the beliefs of that philosophy. The latter the important bit. Many, if not most would likely consider themselves "feminist" in thinking, but many if not most still think it's an equality movement. It's demonstrably well past that stage.
    Drawing a link between body image and eating disorders is not radical. Do you disagree? Would you complain if a non feminist was drawing that link? Would you think that therapist unethical?
    Which is not the point and well you know it, but no doubt you'll filter that out again.

But let's get down to the nitty gritty...
    And the type of feminism that LON is into was most definitely not mainstream when she was in NY which as far as I know was a good few years ago.
    And where pray tell did she pick up this non mainstream feminism(which paints a bad picture of the shrink if it was even more radical)? Who pray tell does she reference in her own words as the person who helped her frame her condition in feminist terms? Who pray tell does she credit in her own words with her "feminist awakening"? Forget about me in this, do you not believe her?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

She wears far too much make-up, which really undermines her fiminist credentials for me.

Writing for Elle does seem an odd choice for someone with feminist inclinations..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

She wears far too much make-up, which really undermines her fiminist credentials for me.

She needs it tbf :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wonder if she's left her safe space after hearing Hillary's comments on Bill's infidelities?

?utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=Native&utm_campaign=NYPFacebook&fbclid=IwAR2X8sVzwzDb94BQkOVDgJjFWZZq-ERIf2sleaGKTZqKbZqNR48vzzO9CdA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's more likely. Hence all accredited agencies make great efforts to make sure their members do not introduce such ideologies.

Actually having read the American Counselling Associations guidelines around this and some case studies of therapists who have broken this guideline, the issue is IMPOSING values on clients, measured with regard to the achievement or violation of their therapeutic goals. Clearly LON views her therapy as a success so her therapeutic goals were met, and there’s no evidence that the therapists beliefs were imposed on LON.
    I would consider feminism radical. Certainly those who self identify as such and are well versed in the beliefs of that philosophy. The latter the important bit. Many, if not most would likely consider themselves "feminist" in thinking, but many if not most still think it's an equality movement. It's demonstrably well past that stage.

I don’t consider feminism radical BUT even if it was radical, the only evidence we have of the therapists opinions is the most neutral bit of advice around eating disorders that pretty much everyone, feminists and non feminists alike, accepts.

Which is not the point and well you know it, but no doubt you'll filter that out again.

There’s no filtering. It’s absolutely the point. The only thing we know the therapist says is a neutral bland bit of advice. If you do indeed agree it’s fairly neutral (I’m pretty sure you do), then the idea that her eating disorder is responsible for her views, through the medium of encountering a radical feminist therapist is just some made up nonsense.

But let's get down to the nitty gritty...
    And where pray tell did she pick up this non mainstream feminism(which paints a bad picture of the shrink if it was even more radical)? Who pray tell does she reference in her own words as the person who helped her frame her condition in feminist terms? Who pray tell does she credit in her own words with her "feminist awakening"? Forget about me in this, do you not believe her?

Um I assume she picked it up the same way that feminists who haven’t seen a supposedly feminist therapist have.

For example, I’m quite interested in language and linguistics. It was reading Chomsky’s work that awakened that interest. But years later I disagree with large parts of what he said.

The fact is you have zero idea what went on in LONs therapy in NY all those many years ago apart from three sentences in an interview with one fairly neutral piece of advice. The links being drawn between her feminism and her eating disorder are just made up nonsense designed as a stick to beat her with.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    The Dailyedge.ie is poison. It's actually ridiculous. It used be very good a few years back but the ones who were a bit of craic left and were replaced by Louise version 2.0

Before the redesign of the page, it was starting to go rotten, tbh.
    Now it's god damn grave yard, with only a few scant comments on the page. It's a shame, used to be pretty active-now it's gone the way of Huffington Post, with all this 'white privilege, rape culture' nonsense.
    And the opinion columns have been dreadful for years.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Writing for Elle does seem an odd choice for someone with feminist inclinations..

Not if you scratch the surface and see her main motivation is the almighty dollar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Before the redesign of the page, it was starting to go rotten, tbh.
    Now it's god damn grave yard, with only a few scant comments on the page. It's a shame, used to be pretty active-now it's gone the way of Huffington Post, with all this 'white privilege, rape culture' nonsense.
    And the opinion columns have been dreadful for years.
    The vast majority of the comments are calling out how ludicrous the articles are but of course the authors never attempt to back up their articles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

That story is bloody ridiculous! I've seen the same people on the train for eleven years and if one offered me a lift I'd say no!

Stupid woman!

Just saw that interview because I'm sadistic like the rest of you. I was expecting to be shocked and disgusted but alas it was just an overreaction from some here. Even if Darcy agreed with some of the opinions here and disagreed with her, its a bog standard interview technique to not challenge the interviewee on a late night talk show. This is Ray Darcy, not Vincent Brown. Outlaw Pete claiming this interview was a disgrace.... is a disgrace. Reel the faux outrage in a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye, to be fair Ray D'Arcy couldn't do a decent interview on his best day, never mind a challenging one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just saw that interview because I'm sadistic like the rest of you. I was expecting to be shocked and disgusted but alas it was just an overreaction from some here. Even if Darcy agreed with some of the opinions here and disagreed with her, its a bog standard interview technique to not challenge the interviewee on a late night talk show. This is Ray Darcy, not Vincent Brown. Outlaw Pete claiming this interview was a disgrace.... is a disgrace. Reel the faux outrage in a bit.
    I didn't say the interview was a disgrace because Darcy wasn't an exceptional interviewer ffs, I said it was a disgrace because he tee'd her up to speak about the men at the centre of the Belfast Rape trial and after she did so, suggesting they'd also taken part in a "brutal gang rape" (like the one in her book) he didn't then make it clear that the men to which she was referring were all found not guilty.... and yes that is a disgrace and on her part, I suggest it was deliberate.

Darcy being a crap interviewer was the reason I ended the post calling him a muppet and saying she must love interviews with the likes of him.

siblers wrote: »
    The vast majority of the comments are calling out how ludicrous the articles are but of course the authors never attempt to back up their articles.

As were they before the redesign of the website. The only difference is, they still write crap, just refuse to respond to it.

Sometimes if you correct them, they delete the post, then edit the article with your suggestion. (They used to do similar before, but they would always email you to say 'thanks for the correct, I deleted your post but put a thanks and edit note at the bottom of the article).
    I didn't say the interview was a disgrace because Darcy wasn't an exceptional interviewer ffs, I said it was a disgrace because he tee'd her up to speak about the men at the centre of the Belfast Rape trial and after she did so, suggesting they'd also taken part in a "brutal gang rape" (like the one in her book) he didn't then make it clear that the men to which she was referring were all found not guilty.... and yes that is a disgrace and on her part, I suggest it was deliberate.

Darcy being a crap interviewer was the reason I ended the post calling him a muppet and saying she must love interviews with the likes of him.

Might be like the 'Jack Nicholson' interview-he'll be like 'Aha, it was only a Louise O'Neill impersonator-the real LON is at home in a padded cell'....all pressure off of him.

D'Arcy is a joke-$500 000 for a guy who can't interview to save his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ak84

Just watched the Darcy interview.
    Never had much time for the shi7e LON talks but would not be that bothered to post on here about her.
    However after watching her talk about how wonderful she is, and all the accolades she has received. And not being able to say she loved her fella. Bit Weird.
    I genuinely feel sorry for her.
    She comes across as very immature also.

Ak84 wrote: »
    Never had much time for the shi7e LON talks but would not be that bothered to post on here about her.
    However after watching her talk about how wonderful she is, and all the accolades she has received. And not being able to say she loved her fella. Bit Weird.

Relationship is early days as far as I know. Would be weirder to say that for the first time on RTE rather to his face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

No, no, There are fellas who will up with that crap. They have many names whipped bitches, woke baes, and beta males are a few that come to mind. Masochism is a life style that is perfectly acceptable these days. Me? I couldnt lay in bed with someone who kept reminding me of my white male privilege and how easy I have it being a CIS male in Patriarchal society. I would have walked off set at that stage and left with my dignity intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,746 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If the relationship is, early days, he shouldn't have been in the audience. This was a very public signalling, I have a boyfriend.

No, no, There are fellas who will up with that crap. They have many names whipped bitches, woke baes, and beta males are a few that come to mind. Masochism is a life style that is perfectly acceptable these days.
    Maybe SB, but I think these days in the world of online and offline "media", social and otherwise, where Warhol's prediction of everyone being "famous" for fifteen minutes has come to pass, mixed in with our shorter attentions spans and trend towards one answer solutions to multiple choice complex questions, it's easy to attach labels and self attach labels on complicated realities.

*Mad thought* they may simply just get on as a couple, regardless of her(and his) views and public persona. Hell, I went out with a right on, progressive hippie chick vegan. With piercings and some piercing opinions, many which were the polar opposite of mine. Her take she once summed up with: "come the revolution, I could get my head shaved for fraternising with the enemy. You'll be put in front of a firing squad". She may or may not have been in earnest with that statement. :D I even convinced her to come fishing with me a few times. She admired the skill involved in flyfishing, but added that my results didn't exactly trouble her vegan mores. The cheeky wagon. :pac:

But yeah, if she or I had been "famous" in today's world, no doubt many commentators would have scratched heads about our setup and depending on their own worldviews might reckon one of us was some sort of saddo or traitor to the cause. Would I have sat in an audience where she was being interviewed? Yep. Of course I would. The car trip home might be interesting mind you, with invectives of "ya daft bint" and "you dopey prick" quite likely. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Wibbs wrote: »
    The car trip home might be interesting mind you, with invectives of "ya daft bint" and "you dopey prick" quite likely. :D

Sounds more like John and Mary from Craggy Island. So you are saying they are a perfectly normal dysfunctional Irish stereotypical couple, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

louise would definately get a length of wavin pipe if you know what i mean

autumn2018 wrote: »
    louise would definately get a length of wavin pipe if you know what i mean

No, I don't know what you mean...

Explain...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I assume that it means she is probably a dab hand at plumbing.

I'd imagine women are under represented in the plumbing sector..

Damn patriarchy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That was very awkward. D'Arcy was teeing it up for her to talk about something happy, he obviously assumed she would say she is in love.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd imagine women are under represented in the plumbing sector..

Damn patriarchy..

I wonder if the poster is referring to the plumbing sector or just average household DIY.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement