Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Venus has an atmosphere that contains sulphuric acid rain, is a lead-melting 500 degrees centigrade on the surface where submarine-crushing pressures of nearly 100 atmospheres apply.

So I'd be delighted if Louise O'Neill elected herself the first person to attempt to set foot on that hellhole of a planet...:D

...the smarter humans can head off in the opposite direction and colonise Mars.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

No, no, There are fellas who will up with that crap. They have many names whipped bitches, woke baes, and beta males are a few that come to mind. Masochism is a life style that is perfectly acceptable these days. Me? I couldnt lay in bed with someone who kept reminding me of my white male privilege and how easy I have it being a CIS male in Patriarchal society. I would have walked off set at that stage and left with my dignity intact.

Never gets old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Sounds more like John and Mary from Craggy Island. So you are saying they are a perfectly normal dysfunctional Irish stereotypical couple, then?

They're a lovely couple!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

py2006 wrote: »

I agree with you, but then again when she persists in this rampant 'rape culture' in Ireland nonsense she is insulting all Irish men. When she has more or less suggested men rape as opposed to the vile minority that do she insults all men.

I don’t get this argument. How does she ‘more or less suggest men rape’? I think it takes a desire to be a victim of LON to believe that she’s calling all men rapists. How brittle does your ego need to be to take personal offence to her calling rapists, rapists. If you’re not involved in rape then she’s obviously not referring to you.

What ever happened to saying ‘I don’t agree with that view’?

I don’t get this argument. How does she ‘more or less suggest men rape’? I think it takes a desire to be a victim of LON to believe that she’s calling all men rapists. How brittle does your ego need to be to take personal offence to her calling rapists, rapists. If you’re not involved in rape then she’s obviously not referring to you.

What ever happened to saying ‘I don’t agree with that view’?

She said it multiple times in her documentary.

Along the lines of "How do we teach our young boys not to rape?". That starts from a position that presumes that I'm a rapist. **** off LON.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    If the relationship is, early days, he shouldn't have been in the audience. This was a very public signalling, I have a boyfriend.
    If I had a new girlfriend and she said ‘I have a national tv interview this evening. Do you want to come along? We could go for a pint afterwards’. I’d obviously go. Most people would probably be interested in going.

Probably don’t try to tell someone else what they should or shouldn’t do with their relationship lest it make you look a fool whose looking for anything to have a pop at LON.

No, no, There are fellas who will up with that crap. They have many names whipped bitches, woke baes, and beta males are a few that come to mind. Masochism is a life style that is perfectly acceptable these days. Me? I couldnt lay in bed with someone who kept reminding me of my white male privilege and how easy I have it being a CIS male in Patriarchal society. I would have walked off set at that stage and left with my dignity intact.

Lol. ‘Whipped bitches, woke baes, and beta males’. That’s a lovely way to talk about other men.

I got in trouble with a mod for calling men who can’t get girlfriends ‘permanently single’ and you go ahead and insult men in triplicate.

Imagine LON talking about ‘whipped bitches, woke baes, and beta males’. This thread would go bananas and with good reason perhaps for the first time.

Maybe you’re some kind of Don Juan but I know from my experience of these kinds of threads, that most of the men involved either can’t get within an ass’s roar of a relationship or are unhappy in the relationship they do have.

It’s too rich for those lads to be throwing around insults about other men

She said it multiple times in her documentary.

Along the lines of "How do we teach our young boys not to rape?". That starts from a position that presumes that I'm a rapist. **** off LON.
    Any links to that documentary? Specifically to her saying all men are rapists? That’d be great. Cheers.

That’s really not how education works. We don’t assume everyone will be knock down on the toad, but we do teach people how to cross the road safely. We don’t assume everyone is obese when we promote healthy eating. I think I it would take a particular level of preciousness to take the approach you’ve taken.

Even in safeguarding situations and training. It doesn’t assume everyone is a deviant but it teaches how to stay safe.

When it comes to changing culture it always makes sense to educate. That stands whether you agree or not with the assumptions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Any links to that documentary? Specifically to her saying all men are rapists? That’d be great. Cheers.

That’s really not how education works. We don’t assume everyone will be knock down on the toad, but we do teach people how to cross the road safely. We don’t assume everyone is obese when we promote healthy eating. I think I it would take a particular level of preciousness to take the approach you’ve taken.

Even in safeguarding situations and training. It doesn’t assume everyone is a deviant but it teaches how to stay safe.

When it comes to changing culture it always makes sense to educate. That stands whether you agree or not with the assumptions.

Wrong there.

George Hook for one tried to explain how women can keep themselves safe and lost his job for it.

Face it dude, you're on the wrong side here - LON and her ilk are destroying men's lives daily and rarely getting called out on their crap.

Wrong there.

George Hook for one tried to explain how women can keep themselves safe and lost his job for it.

Face it dude, you're on the wrong side here - LON and her ilk are destroying men's lives daily and rarely getting called out on their crap.

What has your response got to do with the bit you bolded and which bit is wrong?

Does safeguarding training assume everyone is a deviant or is it not about staying safe?

• Advertisement

Double post

What has your response got to do with the bit you bolded and which bit is wrong?

Does safeguarding training assume everyone is a deviant or is it not about staying safe?

Every single time there is advice given on "how to stay safe" like these:

https://theconversation.com/stay-safe-why-women-are-enraged-by-advice-to-steer-clear-of-violent-men-98338

Just one for example - but there have been others (PSNI did one, British Transport Police another).

There is always pushback like "don't tell me not to walk alone in the dark at 3am drunk, tell men not to rape".

It's insane. A tiny, tiny few percentage points of men are rapists but technically every woman can be a victim. the impetus should be on the majority to look at their own safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Every single time there is advice given on "how to stay safe" like these:

https://theconversation.com/stay-safe-why-women-are-enraged-by-advice-to-steer-clear-of-violent-men-98338

Just one for example - but there have been others (PSNI did one, British Transport Police another).

There is always pushback like "don't tell me not to walk alone in the dark at 3am drunk, tell men not to rape".

It's insane. A tiny, tiny few percentage points of men are rapists but technically every woman can be a victim. the impetus should be on the majority to look at their own safety.

So you agree with me that safeguarding doesn’t assume everyone is a deviant and it’s about staying safe? Or you disagree with me on those point?

You must love those click bait articles which quote 3 twitter users to evidence a major controversy. Of course safeguarding is about staying safe and of course we should teach people about consent etc.

You’ve backed yourself into a corner so it would be difficult to admit that there’s not really a problem with people advocating for education on the other side of the coin. Both safeguarding and education are good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

So you agree with me that safeguarding doesn’t assume everyone is a deviant and it’s about staying safe? Or you disagree with me on those point?

You must love those click bait articles which quote 3 twitter users to evidence a major controversy. Of course safeguarding is about staying safe and of course we should teach people about consent etc.

You’ve backed yourself into a corner so it would be difficult to admit that there’s not really a problem with people advocating for education on the other side of the coin. Both safeguarding and education are good imo.

No point talking to you - it's ignore content and "so what you're saying is...." twisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

razorblunt wrote: »
    Bye bye Ploughman's sandwiches!

I wonder do the usual resident feminist warriors consider this type of stuff whinging, or tackling important female issues.

But I assume that:

It's4Women.ie
    Woman magazine
    Woman's Own magazine
    etc etc

will soon be changed too ?

#AsIf

givyjoe wrote: »
    I wonder do the usual resident feminist warriors consider this type of stuff whinging, or tackling important female issues.

Very much the latter - if they gave a flying ****e about anything really they'd campaign against FGM, forced marriage and the fact India does actually have a rape culture.

Not whinging about something called Gentleman's Relish or the wholly made up gender pay gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

But I assume that:

It's4Women.ie
    Woman magazine
    Woman's Own magazine
    etc etc

#AsIf

I think that WOMAN! magazine is embarrassing to humans, in general.

As long as my Chinese keeps serving their Cream of Sum Yung Giy soup I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

bye bye shepards pie - sung like bye bye miss american pie .. opps hate me now.

No point talking to you - it's ignore content and "so what you're saying is...." twisting.
    That’s absolute guff. You said I was wrong about safeguarding and I’ve asked you to explain and you’re copping out.

I asked you what you’re saying but I suppose discussion isn’t the point of this thread. It’s about having a pop at LON. I don’t suppose you expected follow up questions.

Fly away PS. But if you ever figure out why you disagreed with what I said about safeguarding, be sure to let us know.

givyjoe wrote: »

Whinging.

Mansize tissues are stupid anyway. They’re just bigger. Normal tissues are grand unless you’re wiping an elephant’s nose.

What do the resident anti feminist warriors think?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

But I assume that:

It's4Women.ie
    Woman magazine
    Woman's Own magazine
    etc etc

#AsIf

We'll have to talk to the individual managers of each organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

What is your relationship with Louise? Are you the new beau?[/quote]

I probably have less relationship with LON than the regular posters who wouldn’t miss a LON article for all the Lynx in Africa.

That’s absolute guff. You said I was wrong about safeguarding and I’ve asked you to explain and you’re copping out.

I asked you what you’re saying but I suppose discussion isn’t the point of this thread. It’s about having a pop at LON. I don’t suppose you expected follow up questions.

Fly away PS. But if you ever figure out why you disagreed with what I said about safeguarding, be sure to let us know.

Asked and answered - but once again in case it didn't take hold:

Safeguarding is all well and good but when genuinely good advice is given (I gave examples) there is pushback. Not every man needs to be told not to rape, 90+% already know this.

Yet women seem to need to be told that accepting a drink from a stranger is unwise if you don't see it poured, it could contain a roofie, perhaps a small chance but one not worth taking.

Meeting someone and 15 minutes later going home with them ? Dumb idea.

Enthusiastically consenting to sex and changing one's mind the next day ? Not rape.

If I'm a public figure and I say the above in an open forum, my job is gone in a week thanks to the Twitterverse - yet it is sensible advice.

Now I have no desire to risk a ban for you so enjoy the ignore club.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

JJJJNR wrote: »

People's lives are too easy if this is the sort thing they care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

There is a certain posting style by an poster here that has caused issue and annoyance before. Whether genuine or not, there are only so many times you can run in the one circle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement