Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Everyone knows that rape is wrong but not everyone knows exactly what a rape is.

4 Can someone consent when very drunk?

If not everyone knows exactly what rape is, then everyone cannot know that rape is wrong. It must be defined first.

4. Yes, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

A few questions to illustrate:
    1 what is consent?
    2 Do you need to consent to sex or can consent be assumed unless stated otherwise?
    3 can someone consent when unconscious?
    5 can consent be given and then withdrawn during sex? If yes, how?
    6 when someone consents to have sex non verbally through body language, what sex acts have they consented to exactly? Oral sex, penetrative sex, a bit of heavy petting, anal sex, sh1tting on each other’s chests and having sex in the mess?
    1. Willingly partaking in a sexual act
    2. A vague question, if you mean verbally consent then no. Obviously if they're not consenting then there shouldn't be sex.
    3.Ridiculous question.
    4. Yes
    5. Of course, verbally to avoid confusion
    6. See how far you get taking a sh1t on your wife without asking first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Everyone knows that rape is wrong but not everyone knows exactly what a rape is.

If not everyone knows exactly what rape is, then everyone cannot know that rape is wrong. It must be defined first.

4. Yes, for sure.

Exactly. If people don’t agree what rape is then they don’t agree on what it’s wrong. That’s the situation we have now.

Thanks for your answer to question 4 feel free to answer the other questions.

A few questions to illustrate:
    1 what is consent?
    2 Do you need to consent to sex or can consent be assumed unless stated otherwise?
    3 can someone consent when unconscious?
    5 can consent be given and then withdrawn during sex? If yes, how?
    6 when someone consents to have sex non verbally through body language, what sex acts have they consented to exactly? Oral sex, penetrative sex, a bit of heavy petting, anal sex, sh1tting on each other’s chests and having sex in the mess?
    1. Willingly partaking in a sexual act
    2. A vague question, if you mean verbally consent then no. Obviously if they're not consenting then there shouldn't be sex.
    3.Ridiculous question.
    4. Yes
    5. Of course, verbally to avoid confusion
    6. See how far you get taking a sh1t on your wife without asking first.

1 which sexual acts exactly?
    2 So how do you determine whether there is consent if it’s not verbal. (I’m not saying consent can’t be indicated non verbally I just want to see how you describe it).
    3 not ridiculous at all. In a case where someone wakes their partner up by going down on them. Is there consent. It might be something you and your long term partner have an understanding about. What about a ONS? I’ve seen people argue that consenting to sex the night before means consent carries over until the next morning. So no, not a ridiculous question to sone people (I think I’ve said lots of times that it’s foolish to assume everyone has a the same understanding you have.

4i Agree

5 so. I sent can be understood through non verbal cues but non consent has to be understood verbally. Why is that?

6 agreed. So consent cover some sexual acts and other sexual acts require additional consent. If someone consents to have sex, which acts exactly have they consented to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

1 which sexual acts exactly?
    2 So how do you determine whether there is consent if it’s not verbal. (I’m not saying consent can’t be indicated non verbally I just want to see how you describe it).
    3 not ridiculous at all. In a case where someone wakes their partner up by going down on them. Is there consent. It might be something you and your long term partner have an understanding about. What about a ONS? I’ve seen people argue that consenting to sex the night before means consent carries over until the next morning. So no, not a ridiculous question to sone people (I think I’ve said lots of times that it’s foolish to assume everyone has a the same understanding you have.

4i Agree

5 so. I sent can be understood through non verbal cues but non consent has to be understood verbally. Why is that?

6 agreed. So consent cover some sexual acts and other sexual acts require additional consent. If someone consents to have sex, which acts exactly have they consented to?

1. You consent to engaging in sexual activity, which specific acts are determined by communication in my experience, be it verbal or non verbal and how things develop
    ****ting on someone shouldn't be a part of the conversation, these will always require some sort of prior conversation. Everybody knows that just because you're engaging in sex doesn't mean it's a green light to crap on someone.

2. Enthusiasm, passion. It's very obvious. If someone is pretending to be enthusiastic but really don't want to be there then the onus is on them to speak up. Giving false verbal or non verbal cues is dangerous for both people.

3. Doesn't matter, you can't consent when unconscious. If a husband surprises his wife with oral sex while she's asleep and she enjoys then great but she didn't consent as she was asleep. She's also perfectly entitled to tell him to stop and not to do it again.

5. I never said it has to be verbal, but ideally it should be. Two people enjoying sex is a much less serious scenario than one person not enjoying it. Express your displeasure with words if you feel youre being sexually assaulted.

6. See number 1.

This post has been deleted.
    I know yeah. Discussing things on a discussion forum. What a square.

Consent is actually a really interesting topic. Feel free to get involved if you think of something to say.

1. You consent to engaging in sexual activity, which specific acts are determined by communication in my experience, be it verbal or non verbal and how things develop
    ****ting on someone shouldn't be a part of the conversation, these will always require some sort of prior conversation. Everybody knows that just because you're engaging in sex doesn't mean it's a green light to crap on someone.

2. Enthusiasm, passion. It's very obvious. If someone is pretending to be enthusiastic but really don't want to be there then the onus is on them to speak up. Giving false verbal or non verbal cues is dangerous for both people.

3. Doesn't matter, you can't consent when unconscious. If a husband surprises his wife with oral sex while she's asleep and she enjoys then great but she didn't consent as she was asleep. She's also perfectly entitled to tell him to stop and not to do it again.

5. I never said it has to be verbal, but ideally it should be. Two people enjoying sex is a much less serious scenario than one person not enjoying it. Express your displeasure with words of you feel you see being sexually assaulted.

6. See number 1.

No 3. So in that scenario where the person is woken up with the other detain going down on them; we agree consent can’t be given while unconscious. So could that person reasonably claim they were sexually assaulted/raped?

6 I agree there are certain things people reasonably consent to and other things that need additional consent. What are those things exactly? Do you think they’re common sense that you can reasonably assume everyone agrees on?

Should you just start fingering and see if they don’t withdraw consent? Then go down on them and see if they’re still enthusiastic? Then vaginal sexual and see o they’re still enthusiastic. Then anal and see if they’re still enthusiastic. Then a gentle slap and work up to harder slaps. Then choking and as long as they’re enthusiastic, they consent? Then which specific acts require additional consent?

These are some of the finer points of consent. Im sure some people think it’s stupid to discuss this stuff and done clown will say some variation of ‘it’s very simple, don’t rape anyone. Class dismissed’

gizmo555 wrote: »
    It's very simple. Someone who tells racist jokes is a racist. Someone who tells anti-Semitic jokes is an anti-Semite.

And someone who tells a joke (if it was one) that rape isn't rape if the rapist enjoys himself is self-evidently, to use the other poster's term, a "rape apologist".

Good god. I guess I'm everything under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

[quot

Good god. I guess I'm everything under the sun.[/quote]
    You should tell jokes about professional footballers, then try out for Man United...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

No 3. So in that scenario where the person is woken up with the other detain going down on them; we agree consent can’t be given while unconscious. So could that person reasonably claim they were sexually assaulted/raped?

6 I agree there are certain things people reasonably consent to and other things that need additional consent. What are those things exactly? Do you think they’re common sense that you can reasonably assume everyone agrees on?

Should you just start fingering and see if they don’t withdraw consent? Then go down on them and see if they’re still enthusiastic? Then vaginal sexual and see o they’re still enthusiastic. Then anal and see if they’re still enthusiastic. Then a gentle slap and work up to harder slaps. Then choking and as long as they’re enthusiastic, they consent? Then which specific acts require additional consent?

These are some of the finer points of consent. Im sure some people think it’s stupid to discuss this stuff and done clown will say some variation of ‘it’s very simple, don’t rape anyone. Class dismissed’

6. I think common sense should prevail. If it's a husband and wife or couple, the offending party stops when asked and is apologetic then that can be the end of the matter. In this instance I think it's unfair to call someone a victim of sexual assault.

If a partner continues despite being asked to stop or a complete stranger enter a room and tries it then it's more serious.

I don't think anal sex is a natural progression from regular sex. It's something that there should be a conversation about.

I think classes on teaching people on how to speak up when they are uncomfortable would be a better idea than teaching men how how to behave themselves. If someone persists with a sexual activity despite being asked to stop then i believe they are a scumbag and education on consent would not have changed them. If someone is visibly upset or uncomfortable yet you continue to have sex with them then you are of questionable character putting it mildly.

But I genuinely don't know anyone who has ever said it's ok to push on with sex regardless, those who do it know it's wrong but don't care.

No

6. I think common sense should prevail. If it's a husband and wife or couple, the offending party stops when asked and is apologetic then that can be the end of the matter. In this instance I think it's unfair to call someone a victim of sexual assault.

If a partner continues despite being asked to stop or a complete stranger enter a room and tries it then it's more serious.

I don't think anal sex is a natural progression from regular sex. It's something that there should be a conversation about.

I think classes on teaching people on how to speak up when they are uncomfortable would be a better idea than teaching men how how to behave themselves. If someone persists with a sexual activity despite being asked to stop then i believe they are a scumbag and education on consent would not have changed them. If someone is visibly upset or uncomfortable yet you continue to have sex with them then you are of questionable character putting it mildly.

But I genuinely don't know anyone who has ever said it's ok to push on with sex regardless, those who do it know it's wrong but don't care.

Where you say 6abive are you answering 6 or 3?

If your answering 3 then what has apologeticness got to do with whether the person we assaulted or not? If you wake someone up by doing s sexual act to which they haven't consented, then could it be reasonably called assault/rape?

6 what makes anal sex something that you have to ask additional consent for? Is it something that's understood by everyone or is the important factor around whether you consider it in need of extra consent? So if someone else considers it part of normal sex, then is it fine?

What if someone considers oral sex normal, but the other person considers oral sex something which needs additional consent? And furthermore, what does the law say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

In a situation where both parties have a different understanding of consent.

Done clown earlier said there’s a difference between ‘stop’ and ‘ah stahp’. Is there a difference in the law? Could you explain that difference to a judge that ‘she didn’t say stop. She said ‘ah stahp’, your honour’.

I also mentioned my mate above who thought it wasn’t possible to rape your girlfriend. That was in about 2013. It’s really foolish to think that if something is obvious to you that it’s obvious to everyone else.

Those are two examples of how someone could commit a rape without intending to. Neither are psychopaths (or sycophants as one poster called them) And education is the cure in both of those examples.

I think any time people have different understanding of consent there’s an opportunity for misunderstanding. The bigger the difference the bigger the misunderstanding can be.

Do you accept that those examples could lead to a rape that wasn’t intended?

No. Those are examples of one person intentionally having sex with someone who didn't want to. Nothing accidental about it. It's rape.

• Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

gizmo555 wrote: »
    He was sitting six inches from me with his phone right in front of me. I was not "looking over his shoulder".

And, we'll have to agree to differ, but in my view anyone who thinks that's an acceptable joke is a rape apologist.

You should summoned the mob and had him necklaced.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    No. Those are examples of one person intentionally having sex with someone who didn't want to. Nothing accidental about it. It's rape.

How could it have been intentional for the guy who thought it’s not possible to rape your girlfriend? He clearly wasn’t intentionally raping anyone because he genuinely thought it wasn’t possible.

I agree it could definitely be rape, but I also think the guy was not intentionally raping anyone because of his faulty understanding of what rape and consent actually are. The very simple solution was to chat about it and, puff, his faulty understanding was exposed. Now he has a better understanding.

You asked got an example of how someone could commit a rape without intending to. There’s a very simple answer. The guy didn’t know that it was possible to rape your girlfriend.

I’ll dig ho back and see which poster said ah stahp isn’t the same as stop. You and they have a different understanding. It would be interesting to see the two of you chat about your understandings.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Some clown earlier said there’s a difference between ‘stop’ and ‘ah stahp’. Is there a difference in the law? Could you explain that difference to a judge that ‘she didn’t say stop. She said ‘ah stahp’, your honour’.

I'd have intriguing questions about consent classes-personally I think it could be woven into sex education within secondary schools.
    But I would want an equal delivery of these classes-as in instruct boys and girls that consent is a two way street, that it's down to clear consent indicators.

Let them ask questions as much as possible, let them be informed, give em 'scenarios' that allow them see how outcomes can vary. But be realistic, show that there are verbal and non verbal cues, and a clear 'stop' vs a flirty 'stahp'.

Here’s the post that says there’s a difference between stop and ah stahp. You say it’s intentional rape, the other poster says it’s just flirting. What would a judge say?

Feel free to discuss between yourselves.

How could it have been intentional for the guy who thought it’s not possible to rape your girlfriend? He clearly wasn’t intentionally raping anyone because he genuinely thought it wasn’t possible.

I agree it could definitely be rape, but I also think the guy was not intentionally raping anyone because of his faulty understanding of what rape and consent actually are. The very simple solution was to chat about it and, puff, his faulty understanding was exposed. Now he has a better understanding.

You asked got an example of how someone could commit a rape without intending to. There’s a very simple answer. The guy didn’t know that it was possible to rape your girlfriend.

I’ll dig ho back and see which poster said ah stahp isn’t the same as stop. You and they have a different understanding. It would be interesting to see the two of you chat about your understandings.

Firstly I don't believe the story about your mate. But if it is I'd stop associating with him.

You're telling me that he thought that if a girlfriend was screaming asking him to stop that he thought it's OK to carry on because their going out? Then you claim you said that's not ok and he suddenly changed his opinion? Sounds like pervert trying to justify some sexually violent impulses he's having.

Firstly I don't believe the story about your mate. But if it is I'd stop associating with him.

You're telling me that he thought that if a girlfriend was screaming asking him to stop that he thought it's OK to carry on because their going out? Then you claim you said that's not ok and he suddenly changed his opinion? Sounds like pervert trying to justify some sexually violent impulses he's having.

I didn’t say “that he thought that if a girlfriend was screaming asking him to stop that he thought it's OK to carry on because their going out?” Because I don’t know the specific details of what exactly did or didn’t happen. I told you what I did know which is; We were joking about because he mentioned that he woke his girlfriend up in the middle of the night or after he came in late from a night out and he started having sex with her (o don’t remember the exact details but they’re not the important part of the story) She wasn’t into it but he persisted and the salient point was that he said ‘shur it’s not possible to rape your girlfriend’.

Myself and my Mrs were there and we stopped the banter and said that it definitely was possible to rape your girlfriend or wife. We chatted about it and he didn’t believe us at first. He thought we were taking the p1s last out of him. he asked his step-dad who set him straight.

I believe that you do t believe the story. It’s my experience so I can’t prove it to you. I’ve said at least half a dozen times that I think it’s foolish to assume that other people have the same understanding of things as you do.

As for not associating with him any more, why would I do that? He had a seriously faulty understanding when he was in uni, of something which he found out was wrong. The guys a stand-up bloke. Captain of the town rugby team and a primary school teacher. Still with the same woman after over a decade.

And a final point is that the whole point of education is to expose faulty beliefs to information and chat about things to understand them better. To make more informed decisions. Why would you bother with education if you think everyone already has the correct understanding to begin with?

I didn’t say “that he thought that if a girlfriend was screaming asking him to stop that he thought it's OK to carry on because their going out?” Because I don’t know the specific details of what exactly did or didn’t happen. I told you what I did know which is; We were joking about because he mentioned that he woke his girlfriend up in the middle of the night or after he came in late from a night out and he started having sex with her (o don’t remember the exact details but they’re not the important part of the story) She wasn’t into it but he persisted and the salient point was that he said ‘shur it’s not possible to rape your girlfriend’.

Myself and my Mrs were there and we stopped the banter and said that it definitely was possible to rape your girlfriend or wife. We chatted about it and he didn’t believe us at first. He thought we were taking the p1s last out of him. he asked his step-dad who set him straight.

I believe that you do t believe the story. It’s my experience so I can’t prove it to you. I’ve said at least half a dozen times that I think it’s foolish to assume that other people have the same understanding of things as you do.

As for not associating with him any more, why would I do that? He had a seriously faulty understanding when he was in uni, of something which he found out was wrong. The guys a stand-up bloke. Captain of the town rugby team and a primary school teacher. Still with the same woman after over a decade.

And a final point is that the whole point of education is to expose faulty beliefs to information and chat about things to understand them better. To make more informed decisions. Why would you bother with education if you think everyone already has the correct understanding to begin with?

Ah wow captain of the rugby team and a teacher. It's actually beyond ironic that you're on here lecturing about consent but defending a guy who genuinely sexually assaulted someone.

She wasn't into to and he kept going. Sorry this isn't "one of the finer details of consent" as you put it, he forced himself on someone. I stand my remark that everyone knows you shouldn't rape, your friend did too, he just wanted to have sex whether she wanted to or not then came up with a lame excuse, and you bought it. I've never met anyone that said you can't rape your girlfriend.

Ah wow captain of the rugby team and a teacher. It's actually beyond ironic that you're on here lecturing about consent but defending a guy who genuinely sexually assaulted someone.

She wasn't into to and he kept going. Sorry this isn't "one of the finer details of consent" as you put it, he forced himself on someone. I stand my remark that everyone knows you shouldn't rape, your friend did too, he just wanted to have sex whether she wanted to or not then came up with a lame excuse, and you bought it. I've never met anyone that said you can't rape your girlfriend.

I kinda hamstrung because you’re claiming to know the mind of a person you’ve never met, while I know him, lived with him for 3 years and don’t claim to be able to read his mind. It must be one of things where the less you know the more confident you can be.

I’ve told you my experience and that’s what happened. I get that you backed yourself into a corner by saying rape can’t happen without intention. I disagree due to my experiences of people i know, which is why I think discussing consent is a great idea and would undoubtedly prevent some future harm.

I agree it’s not a fine detail, it’s a pretty egregious break from what I would consider normal which is why we took the time to end the banter and chat about it. The couple had been together since they were 15/16 so they started the relationship off with the knowledge of 15/16 year olds. I don’t know what to tell you. It’s my experience.

I believe you when you say you’ve never heard anyone say anything like ‘you can’t rape your girlfriend’. I’ve told you my experience and I’ve told you that it’s foolish to think that what’s obvious to you is obvious to other people.

I’m sure you’re fierce clever altogether, but everyone else isn’t necessarily as clever as you and - once more hoping it sinks in- everyone else doesn’t have the same understanding of things as you have.

• Advertisement

Knowing that it's wrong to persist with sex when the other person doesn't want it doesn't involve any kind of cleverness at all.

I don't think it's foolish to assume that everyone knows not to have sex with person who is asleep and then persist when they wake up and and ask to stop.

Him saying he didn't know that its possible to rape a girlfriend it's a reasonable or believable offence. Did he believe then that , technically, he could tie up his girlfriend kicking and screaming and rape her violently if he wished?

No means no has been a mantra repeated for decades that everyone understands and has heard, it's as obvious as saying it's wrong to steal and kill. Did he think it's OK to hit his girlfriend too? Classes wouldn't have made a difference to your friend because he has a questionable character.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Knowing that it's wrong to persist with sex when the other person doesn't want it doesn't involve any kind of cleverness at all.
    To be honest, his friend doesn't sound all that clever to start off with.
    I don't think it's foolish to assume that everyone knows not to have sex with person who is asleep and then persist when they wake up and and ask to stop.

Him saying he didn't know that its possible to rape a girlfriend it's a reasonable or believable offence. Did he believe then that , technically, he could tie up his girlfriend kicking and screaming and rape her violently if he wished?

No means no has been a mantra repeated for decades that everyone understands and has heard, it's as obvious as saying it's wrong to steal and kill. Did he think it's OK to hit his girlfriend too? Classes wouldn't have made a difference to your friend because he has a questionable character.

Here, I disagree with you. He sounds more like a simple, somewhat confused fool than a psychotic rapist.

There will be some people who don't care and will commit sexual crime. The difference is, they'll know full well and yes, education will make no difference. But that's not everyone.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Here, I disagree with you. He sounds more like a simple, somewhat confused fool than a psychotic rapist.

There will be some people who don't care and will commit sexual crime. The difference is, they'll know full well and yes, education will make no difference. But that's not everyone.

But he's going out with his missus 10 years..calling him slipping one in when he came home after a night out 'rape' is doing a disservice to those who have suffered sexual violence..

Ok. And I’m telling you big an instance where a man in his early 20s, didn’t think it was possible to rape your girlfriend. I accept that you have a problem now because you’ve backed yourself into a corner of saying that it’s not possible to commit rape without intending to. I’m telling you how it can happen. Probably did happen in a house I was living in as we were housemates.

I don’t know about kicking and screaming specifically. I did specifically chat about this one topic and It opened my eyes, I can assure you.

Im pretty sure he had never put much thought into it. That’s the whole point of education and discussion. It forces those involved to think about their beliefs and understandings.

I’m pretty sure anything around domestic violence suggested he had the common understanding of it.

Classes would have made a difference to my mate because all he needed was to chat about it and actually think about it. Then he realised he was completely wrong.

How funny it is that you’re willing to throw a man under the bus and I’m in favour of educating young people to make sure they can make informed decisions in the first case.

He definitely isn’t the sharpest but he’s a normal guy with a good job. Not a complete fool either.
    He was a dipstick on this particular topic because he was uneducated on it and had a completely faulty belief.

He definitely isn't a psychopath. He had a wrong understanding of consent. Thankfully once he thought about it and asked his stepdad for guidance, he accepted that he was wrong. Ignorance was the problem, not psychopathy. And education was the cure. Pity he didn’t get the education he needed earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

This guy raped his girlfriend. End of story. Sounds like a total bastard. Faulty belief my arse. The only faulty belief is yours in thinking this guy is a pillar of the community.

But he's going out with his missus 10 years..calling him slipping one in when he came home after a night out 'rape' is doing a disservice to those who have suffered sexual violence..
    Take it up with Peter Denham. They’re the one who declared it rape.

I think it’s definitely a consent issue and well worth chatting about to reach a shared understanding

professore wrote: »
    This guy raped his girlfriend. End of story. Sounds like a total bastard. Faulty belief my arse. The only faulty belief is yours in thinking this guy is a pillar of the community.

I’m telling you about one aspect of the guy and you declare him a total bastard.

I know the guy and I know he was genuinely shoved to find out just how wrong he was. He asked his dad about it and from what I can gather, his dad gave him a thorough dressing down about it. I didn’t say yes a polar of the community. I gave 3 further facts about him. Captain of the town rugby team, primary school teacher and with his Mrs for over a decade since they were in school.

You can make decisions about the whole person with one piece of information if you like. But I’m telling you he needed better information, sooner.

That’s one of the reasons I think consent discussions would be a great idea.

Discuss...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I’m telling you about one aspect of the guy and you declare him a total bastard.

I know the guy and I know he was genuinely shoved to find out just how wrong he was. He asked his dad about it and from what I can gather, his dad gave him a thorough dressing down about it. I didn’t say yes a polar of the community. I gave 3 further facts about him. Captain of the town rugby team, primary school teacher and with his Mrs for over a decade since they were in school.

You can make decisions about the whole person with one piece of information if you like. But I’m telling you he needed better information, sooner.

That’s one of the reasons I think consent discussions would be a great idea.

Anyone who physically forces someone else to do anything they don't want to do is an asshole plain and simple. They only care about themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement