Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Louise is in the Irish Times Magazine this week end and guess who asked her the questions?
    Una Mullally, so it should be a hard hitting interview.

Thank fook its paywalled. Protects the innocent !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

The front cover of the paper magazine is some laugh. Posing like the Virgin Mary Mother of God. All that's missing is her feet stomping down on a snake.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Louise is in the Irish Times Magazine this week end and guess who asked her the questions?

Circle jerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That's not an interview any more than Donald Trump appearing on Fox News is an "interview". It'll be an SJW circlejerk and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Circle jerk.

A bit like this whole thread really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Circle jerk.

Howya Louise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Absolutely. The difference is that this thread makes no claim, nor has any legal requirement, to be in any way impartial. A mainstream journalist interviewing a subject, on the other hand, has both an ethical and as far as I know, legal requirement (under Irish BAI rules) to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Good Lord, what were they thinking?

Someone at the Times has a tremendous sense of humour.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Absolutely. The difference is that this thread makes no claim, nor has any legal requirement, to be in any way impartial. A mainstream journalist interviewing a subject, on the other hand, has both an ethical and as far as I know, legal requirement (under Irish BAI rules) to do so.

I don’t think interviewers have to be impartial really. They’re not reporting news. They often make comments on their subject, in fact I think many interviewers excel at being pretty judgemental. Read some of Lynn Barber’s interviews and you won’t think that being impartial is a requirement of the job. The subject is often filtered through the writer’s own worldview.

Same as columnists really who write opinion pieces. They aren’t held to impartiality either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A mainstream journalist interviewing a subject, on the other hand, has both an ethical and as far as I know, legal requirement (under Irish BAI rules) to do so.

With all due respect, they do in their hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's not an interview any more than Donald Trump appearing on Fox News is an "interview". It'll be an SJW circlejerk and nothing more.

Louise: I think you're great Una
    Una: No, I think you're great Louise
    Louise: Patriarchy
    Una: Patriarchy

"Next week we will be back with another hard hitting interview on the topic of 2 balls bad, no balls good"

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Howya Louise.

I actually can't stand the woman. I'm just baffled that you people insist on giving her more hits and recognition.

She's a bloody nobody, but people here act like her opinion actually has any impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I actually can't stand the woman. I'm just baffled that you people insist on giving her more hits and recognition.

She's a bloody nobody, but people here act like her opinion actually has any impact.

Her crazy man hating views get published in a national newspaper so I wouldn't say a bloody nobody.

I have an Irish Times subscription (because I'm a very wealthy man) and I skim-read that interview earlier (because I'm a very busy man). Didn't contain anything particularly noteworthy, or anything that would cause offence to even the most easily offended and, let's be totally honest here, obsessive contributors to this thread. No better or worse than any of the usual puffery you'd find in a Saturday paper.

Certainly wouldn't report it to the Bewspaper Authority of Ireland (sic) anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To be honest I don't think her views have much of an impact unless you totally agree with her. I find she near does more harm than good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah i read it too and it was grand. Just a bit of a back story on Louise, how she writes, her eating troubles, and the like.

The only thing that annoyed me was the choice, by the editor, to use the quote "The hardest place to maintain my feminism is in a relationship with a straight male" in the heading, online heading can't remember if it was in the written edition. This isn't discussed in the piece and is only referenced by I think Una was writing about watching a clip of Louise talking to TCD students and that's where Louise mentions the line. It's a very poor choice of heading as it's nothing to do with what they actually talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

The article actually wasn't too bad because it had some information about her Dad's butcher shop which looked good and worth checking out.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I have an Irish Times subscription (because I'm a very wealthy man) and I skim-read that interview earlier (because I'm a very busy man). Didn't contain anything particularly noteworthy, or anything that would cause offence to even the most easily offended and, let's be totally honest here, obsessive contributors to this thread. No better or worse than any of the usual puffery you'd find in a Saturday paper.

Certainly wouldn't report it to the Bewspaper Authority of Ireland (sic) anyway.

C1mJBiHXcAAp0uN.jpg

It's the hypocrisy of it all that bothers the "obsessive contributors".

You could be damn sure if that was a male talking it would cause huge offence to the most easily offended and he would find himself on the dole queue.

It's the hypocrisy of it all that bothers the "obsessive contributors".

You could be damn sure if that was a male talking it would cause huge offence to the most easily offended and he would find himself on the dole queue.

What are you on about?

• Advertisement

What are you on about?

I have no idea. What was the question again?

I have no idea. What was the question again?

I can't remember. Are those my feet?

I can't remember. Are those my feet?

They smell like yours.

Guys try and keep this on topic!

Apologies for dragging such a serious and important thread off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

They sure do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Her crazy man hating views get published in a national newspaper so I wouldn't say a bloody nobody.

She’s clickbait! Most newspaper have a few clickbait journalists on their payroll. Why can’t people get this? And going by this thread, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Where is Sam Boland. I'm not on Twitter but I want to know if he is.

Where is Sam Boland. I'm not on Twitter but I want to know if he is.

He had a Twitter account and would have being considered a male feminist. He rose to fame a few weeks ago when he said he always knew Friends(TV series) was homophobic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

He had a Twitter account and would have being considered a male feminist. He rose to fame a few weeks ago when he said he always knew Friends(TV series) was homophobic!

Sure I know him well. Myself and Sam go as far back as this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement