Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Terrible writing. Attention seeking. The irish Katie hopkins using pseudo feminism to push her attention seeking agenda. Its really simple. Stop giving her attention.

Dont comment. Walk away. Turn away from the stupid. It works for Donald Trump too. Ignore. Block out. Life carries on regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I don’t believe you.

Those are your first 2 posts in this thread. Doesn’t sound like someone who just heard of her that day. You are one of the top contributors to this thread and to be quite honest, you kind of come across defensive of her at times.

I’m being 100% genuine. Any article I have read of hers, was clicked through to from this very thread. I’ve never read anything of hers independently of this thread. I don’t see how the posts of mine that you’ve quoted contradict what I’ve said. By looking at a handful of her articles by being directed there BY THIS THREAD, I was able to form an opinion on her.

You don’t want to believe me, that’s up to you. Knock yourself out. I have no reason to lie and nothing to gain from doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’m being 100% genuine. Any article I have read of hers, was clicked through to from this very thread. I’ve never read anything of hers independently of this thread.

You don’t want to believe me, that’s up to you. I have no reason to lie and nothing to gain from doing so.

cool-gotcha-meme-gotcha-imgflip-gotcha-meme.jpg

cool-gotcha-meme-gotcha-imgflip-gotcha-meme.jpg

As said, the quoted posts don’t contradict anything I’ve said. Clicked through to articles of hers because of this thread, quickly figured she was a looper.

So yeah, this thread is how I became aware of her.

Would you care to elaborate beyond a meme?

Those are your first 2 posts in this thread. Doesn’t sound like someone who just heard of her that day. You are one of the top contributors to this thread and to be quite honest, you kind of come across defensive of her at times.

Also, I’ve just used the search facility to check and I have no more than 22 posts on this thread, 23 including this one. There are over 700 posts in the thread. Many people just dump links in the thread, I’ve written posts that actually try to look at it in an impartial manner. I know which type of poster I’d rather be. Wind your neck in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

So yeah, this thread is how I became aware of her.

You must be thinking of another thread as you said the following (on another thread) before this one existed:
    I never even knew who she was before I heard about her on boards.ie. Seriously, stop giving her oxygen, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Also, I’ve just used the search facility to check and I have no more than 22 posts on this thread, 23 including this one. There are over 700 posts in the thread. Many people just dump links in the thread, I’ve written posts that actually try to look at it in an impartial manner. I know which type of poster I’d rather be. Wind your neck in.

Only 6 more people than you have posted more in this thread about LON, the woman you only recently heard of and don’t care about.

Only 6 more people than you have posted more in this thread about LON, the woman you only recently heard of and don’t care about.

I never said ‘recently’. ;) I’ve been aware of her for a good while... because of this thread and the other long-running thread there used to be about her. Please read my posts more carefully if you are going to accuse me of anything, ta.

Just to help you out:
    This is really OTT. Like the whole thread. I read a hell of a lot of articles every week and I genuinely had never heard of her before this thread started. And since then, this thread remains the only place she has ever come on my radar. I find it hard to believe that you and others find her writings so stifling.

At this point, it’s all just very repetitious. And is just giving her MORE attention.

If you’d like to point to where I said “recently”, that’d be super.

And this is probably the second megathread about her, it was likely split due to size. Boards is where I first heard of yer wan. That’s the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I found that article unsurprisingly cringe, a total gushing fest.

That paragraph about LON's devotion to "wellness" with her 45 dedicated therapists and alternative therapists and life coaches and nutritionists and yoga and and and ad nauseum explains a lot too, the woman has been mollycoddled into adulthood and continues to have a team of people patting her on the back telling her what a great aul girlie she is and how important her every thought and feeling is. No-one needs to navel-gaze that much and the people who do can be spotted a mile off. Adult children prone to narcissism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I've revised my attitude towards her and her fellows to a quite large degree. Yes I find most of their opinions either wrongheaded or just plain daft and sometimes downright bloody dangerous, but looking at their environment I can quite understand how they came to have them and how and why they're helped to continue to propagate them. It's alright for the rest of us who get momentarily wound up by the dafter pronouncements and let's face it we get a little bit of a dopamine thrill from the WTF!! :), but we can always put the paper/tablet/phone/PC down and look at another tab, other stuff until the next WTF!! moment. They're living it. And have to keep it going living it.

*in before they're an ancient Indian symbol and they were once on Dublin laundry vans you know... :D

That's it exactly. I'm zigzagging between "some of these people are fùcking crazy and they would happily see me fired for a comment outside their bubble so fùck them" and "some of these people are severely mentally ill and in some ways have that it really bad so maybe I could be more sympathetic."

I might have said it earlier or in another thread, but you could make a shìt-ton of cash by just telling these people exactly what they want to hear.

Actually forget that. Make this more focused.

For example, if a company's HR department gets filled up by Louise O Neil types, would it be a good idea to short that company's stock based on the inevitable rise in sexual harassment cases and mental breakdowns? Or would it be a good idea to start a consultancy firm that advises companies not to hire people who have been put through these SJWie courses/express these opinions? Could save your company a lot of headaches in the future.

One of the lads I know has to go to #metoo training as part of some HR bullshìt. Maybe it's time for him to start getting in contact with recruiters again.

• Advertisement

I never said ‘recently’. ;) I’ve been aware of her for a good while... because of this thread and the other long-running thread there used to be about her. Please read my posts more carefully if you are going to accuse me of anything, ta.

Just to help you out:

If you’d like to point to where I said “recently”, that’d be super.

And this is probably the second megathread about her, it was likely split due to size. Boards is where I first heard of yer wan. That’s the truth.

This thread started 4 months ago. Please read your own posts more carefully...

This thread started 4 months ago. Please read your own posts more carefully...

I made the grave error of not realising this thread is a different one to another long-running LON thread that was in AH. A very easy thing to do. I do NOT appreciate being called a liar. The first long-running thread about her here on boards was where I first heard of her. And boards.ie is still the only place I ever notice anything about her. It’s easy to see why I would mix up threads about the same subject. I thought this was thread was the one started long before November 2017 and in that context, my statement was true. My point remains the same and I would appreciate you not outright saying I’m a liar. It’s not true. Please retract it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I made the grave error of not realising this thread is a different one to another long-running LON thread that was in AH. A very easy thing to do. I do NOT appreciate being called a liar. The first long-running thread about her here on boards was where I first heard of her. And boards.ie is still the only place I ever notice anything about her. It’s easy to see why I would mix up threads about the same subject. I thought this was thread was the one started long before November 2017 and in that context, my statement was true. My point remains the same and I would appreciate you not outright saying I’m a liar. It’s not true. Please retract it.

Calm down, you're on the internet. Nobody gives a flying if you're a liar or not.

Calm down, you're on the internet. Nobody gives a flying if you're a liar or not.

In case it wasn’t already obvious, I care.

I made the grave error of not realising this thread is a different one to another long-running LON thread that was in AH. A very easy thing to do. I do NOT appreciate being called a liar. The first long-running thread about her here on boards was where I first heard of her. And boards.ie is still the only place I ever notice anything about her. It’s easy to see why I would mix up threads about the same subject. My point remains the same and I would appreciate you not outright saying I’m a liar. It’s not true.

I said I didn’t believe a line of your post based on some other posts.
    The line I didn’t believe turned out to be a mistake on your part.

I said I didn’t believe a line of your post based on some other posts.
    The line I didn’t believe turned out to be a mistake on your part.

So the original point stands. I had never heard of LON until the first megathread about her and still only hear about her here. Good, that’s straightened out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

And boards.ie is still the only place I ever notice anything about her.

I think I still follow her on Twitter (I don't agree with some of what she writes, but anyone who annoys some of the... characters on AH is a good egg, as far as I'm concerned), but her name seems to pop up a lot more here than there. Like, a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,756 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think I still follow her on Twitter (I don't agree with some of what she writes, but anyone who annoys some of the... characters on AH is a good egg, as far as I'm concerned), but her name seems to pop up a lot more here than there. Like, a lot.

You seem to know a lot about us seeing you only joined less than a month ago!

I haven't claimed to be a new member.

Surely you know well that many users have had previous accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Never heard of the bird. That twitter strikes me as being a right pain in the hole. Seems to wind up people something fierce. Can’t be good for their mind, or their blood pressure. Chill folks!!!

So the original point stands. I had never heard of LON until the first megathread about her and still only hear about her here. Good, that’s straightened out.

Well the amended point stands. The original point was that you never heard of her until this thread started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,756 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Surely you know well that many users have had previous accounts?

Yes, they generally slip up after a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Well the amended point stands. The original point was that you never heard of her until this thread started.

The issue is that you insinuated that I had an ulterior motive. You went straight for that. The mix up was a clerical error (I don’t often check the post date of the OP on long-running threads) but you decided to draw your own conclusions based on very little by calling me defensive. That’s all on you. Don’t side-step it. If you insinuate something, have the courage of your convictions.

When I re-registered, I added my old account details to the 'About Me' section of my new profile (I presume you're supposed to do something like that, because otherwise you have a false 'clean slate' with regard to previous infractions).

The poster doesn’t seem too bothered and doesn’t seem to be hiding the fact. You’re totally detracting from his/her point. Lame. And you’re a mod. Jaysus.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I actually can't stand the woman. I'm just baffled that you people insist on giving her more hits and recognition.

She's a bloody nobody, but people here act like her opinion actually has any impact.

Your correct but i take exception to the fact that this woman who is a journalist hired by a national newspaper, is allowed to publicly comment on and influence an ongoing legal trial for her own misguided bias agenda.

The fact this idiot is a journalist is a despairing indication of how modern society is becoming more and more dysfunctional and warped. Common sense is dying a death and in its place are dangerous unstable people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Anyone find it ironic that she 'farmed out' the job of debating this person, after starting the topic...

...almost like she, herself, can't do the job.
    Also does the usual 'damsel in distress' malarkey while acting 'strong'.

A solid dose of Christina Hoff Somers shows her argument to be ideological propaganda.

• Advertisement

The issue is that you insinuated that I had an ulterior motive. You went straight for that. The mix up was a clerical error (I don’t often check the post date of the OP on long-running threads) but you decided to draw your own conclusions based on very little by calling me defensive. That’s all on you. Don’t side-step it. If you insinuate something, have the courage of your convictions.

Still think you do have a problem with other people having a problem with LON. As much as you like to say she’s irrelevant.
    Why invest so much time in telling people that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement