Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Still think you do have a problem with other people having a problem with LON. As much as you like to say she’s irrelevant.
    Why invest so much time in telling people that?

25ish posts over four months. A post every four days on average. Many of them made tonight, defending myself. Does that translate to investing a lot of time?

Didn't we have radio presenters being officially penalised for expressing the merest hint of an opinion on gay marriage during that referendum campaign? I could've sworn I remember a big furore over it at the time.

Yes, that’s somewhere that media outlets should strive for impartiality, ideally. But if impartiality was required across all facets of the media, you’d never see editiorials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's funny how clearly mentally fragile woman with some more out there opinions terrifies people. At the same time you have opinion writers like David Quinn or Breda O'Brien getting away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's funny how clearly mentally fragile woman with some more out there opinions terrifies people. At the same time you have opinion writers like David Quinn or Breda O'Brien getting away with murder.

Who exactly is terrified?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

_Dara_ wrote: »
    25ish posts over four months. A post every four days on average. Many of them made tonight, defending myself. Does that translate to investing a lot of time?

And the other thread? For someone that keeps on telling us how irrelevant she is...

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Who exactly is terrified?! :rolleyes:
    The panic that the likes of her in HR will send people on reeducation courses? And similar nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I would consider some of her views both dangerous end extremist. She believes people are innocent until proven guilty and I'd also question stuff a good few of the things she's said in the past.

I don't follow Louise O'Neill on social media but her and other journalists articles pop up in my news feed regularly and it's mainly seems to be these that show up. Anybody who questions things written by her will get blocked. I got clocked because I liked a comment that questioned something she wrote. It wasn't a nasty comment or hateful.

I have my views on this and you have yours and we're not going to agree on it.[/QUOTE]

If Louise O'Neill pops up on your newsfeed regularly that's simply because you regularly read her articles, it's that simple.

I don't get why people don't understand how easy it is to ignore people who clearly have a very skewed view of the world and are more to be pitied than scorned.

I made the grave error of not realising this thread is a different one to another long-running LON thread that was in AH. A very easy thing to do. I do NOT appreciate being called a liar. The first long-running thread about her here on boards was where I first heard of her. And boards.ie is still the only place I ever notice anything about her. It’s easy to see why I would mix up threads about the same subject. I thought this was thread was the one started long before November 2017 and in that context, my statement was true. My point remains the same and I would appreciate you not outright saying I’m a liar. It’s not true. Please retract it.

Couldn't agree more Dara. The amount of people jumping up and down on anyone here who doesn't agree with the "rip her to shreds" narrative is frankly quite sickening now.

I had never and still have never read anything LON wrote outside of boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There are two types of people on this thread. The people who read her shiite and give out about it. And the people who don't read her shiite and have to constantly reiterate that point while simultaneously giving out about those who give out about her.
    Hard to tell at this stage which is more irritating. "If you don't like it don't read it" applies to this thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still think you do have a problem with other people having a problem with LON. As much as you like to say she’s irrelevant.
    Why invest so much time in telling people that?

2 posters here seem have huge problem with discussing her.

The thing is she really is not a nobody and I reckon she has good few thousand followers with plenty buying into her thinking.

She not a famous person but her ilk are a delusional and almost quite a hateful bunch.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    There are two types of people on this thread. The people who read her shiite and give out about it. And the people who don't read her shiite and have to constantly reiterate that point while simultaneously giving out about those who give out about her.
    Hard to tell at this stage which is more irritating. "If you don't like it don't read it" applies to this thread too.
    I find the mob mentality off putting and very unjust. I also dislike this nastiness that is creeping around especially with Trump victory where personal atttack are becoming more prominent and more acceptable. As it happens I am socially relatively liberal in the old fashioned way and believe that every one should be able to express their opinion but I also think the points and not the personality/looks/mental health should be critiqued. It might irritate you bit it is message boards where opinions are supposed to be exchanged not just cheerleading where the whole group gangs up on someone for something fairly minor.

She not a famous person but her ilk are a delusional and almost quite a hateful bunch.

Pot calling kettle black?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

meeeeh wrote: »

Pot calling kettle black?
    No.

Can't see how you can conclude that from The Kew Tour's postings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

2 posters here seem have huge problem with discussing her.

The thing is she really is not a nobody and I reckon she has good few thousand followers with plenty buying into her thinking.

If i'm not mistaken one of those two posters constantly called for the previous thread about her to be pulled.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Can we stop talking about what other posters done please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

A few thousand followers on Twitter is a drop in the ocean when you consider that the likes of Jack Septiceye, a guy who plays games with a couple of begosh and begorrahs thrown in has 4.3 million Twitter followers. She has very little influence beyond a couple of right on people retweeting some of the stuff she says and provoking a few loolahs into thinking that she's somehow going to bring down society and lead to the mass castration of all men.

Which type are you Anna?

And the other thread? For someone that keeps on telling us how irrelevant she is...

I’d say the other thread has even less! But either way, my contributions to this thread demonstrably don’t equate to a large time investment. Look, I get it, you’re butthurt because I challenged you on something you said. Move past it.

pilly wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more Dara. The amount of people jumping up and down on anyone here who doesn't agree with the "rip her to shreds" narrative is frankly quite sickening now.

I had never and still have never read anything LON wrote outside of boards.

I know, right? Just because I don’t vigorously hate her seems to make people think that I’m actually a supporter of hers or something. The paranoia of that.

Well, if you find either irritating, take your own advice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well, if you find either irritating, take your own advice! :)

Touché :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’d say the other thread has even less! But either way, my contributions to this thread demonstrably don’t equate to a large time investment. Look, I get it, you’re butthurt because I challenged you on something you said. Move past it.

Not even a bit. I think you are a little defensive of her while simultaneously pretending you don’t care about her.
    Maybe there’s a crossover of agenda or values but she’s too extreme to fully get behind?

Touché :p

MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL BACK AWAY FROM THE THREAD. :D

Not even a bit. I think you are a little defensive of her while simultaneously pretending you don’t care about her.
    Maybe there’s a crossover of agenda or values but she’s too extreme to fully get behind?

I just can’t believe she has people so rapt. I mean, the very first few times Katie Hopkins mouth-farted her views, I got pissed off. Then I quickly thought ‘Oh right, blatant clickbait’ and moved on with my life. I did not want to play into her hands. See what I mean?

Definitely not defensive of LON. You might think that but it’s noy true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,756 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just can’t believe she has people so rapt. I mean, the very first few times Katie Hopkins mouth-farted her views, I got pissed off. Then I quickly thought ‘Oh right, blatant clickbait’ and moved on with my life. I did not want to play into her hands. See what I mean?

Definitely not defensive of LON. You might think that but it’s noy true.

Thread is mainly a discussion about her articles and views. Most bad posts are deleted. If people want to discuss then leave them at it.

Thread is mainly a discussion about her articles and views. Most bad posts are deleted. If people want to discuss then leave them at it.

But this is a discussion forum fresh, not a forum for hate pages.

I haven’t said anyone can’t post. But, what? Should there be no other viewpoint on the subject? This is a discussion.

Along with the comments towards another poster on her new account (something a non-mod would likely have been pulled up on), you’re coming across quite biased here for a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There are two types of people on this thread.

My MO on this thread is leave it bubble away for a while and then just check in to condemn whatever latest little nugget her demented mind has secreted and then just go about my day. All hateful lunacy needs to be condemned because if you don't, that's how you get ants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,756 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I haven’t said anyone can’t post. But, what? Should there be no other viewpoint on the subject? This is a discussion.

Along with the comments towards another poster on her new account (something a non-mod would likely have been pulled up on), you’re coming across quite biased here for a mod.

Neither did I. This is mainly about a discussion of her articles and I never said you had to like or dislike them. Did I?

cantdecide wrote: »
    My MO on this thread is leave it bubble away for a while and then just check in to condemn whatever latest little nugget her demented mind has secreted and then just go about my day. All hateful lunacy needs to be condemned because if you don't, that's how you get ants.

Indeed.............

• Advertisement

Neither did I. This is mainly about a discussion of her articles and I never said you had to like or dislike them. Did I?

Well, I wasn’t trying to stop people posting either. I will point out that I think people are daft for falling for the clickbait. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement