Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Water John wrote: »
    I don't think that was inferred in her original text. It's somewhere up along the thread. Didn't like it anyway, but comment on the original not a twisted variation, TBF.

For the record:
    "I think of when I was three, cuddling into my Granddad Murphy’s lap as he stroked my hair and told me I was the best girl and I wonder did he really think that, or did he secretly hate women too?"

OK, I did mislead a little there, but still ****ed up thing to write about her grandfather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

professore wrote: »
    Not singling out healthcare, just using it as an example. And I'm not saying you need a sainthood or anything. I'm not even criticising you. Not saying you are right or wrong, I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint.

By the way I am not looking for medals either or the moral high ground. I don't care at all for that rubbish.

However that's us. You are you. If on your deathbed you look back with pride on the time you spent in the office then good for you. It's just not how we are wired.

No you are not judgemental at all.

It's funny how only I have to defend my life choices firstly because I was not born in Ireland and secondly because I think women should have more options than the traditional role at home. Nobody else was repeatedly told to explain themselves either why they live in Ireland and when that was clarified, why I made choices around work I did. I didn't ask you to explain your situation, I don't care about it, my point is that celebrating how great women have it in Ireland is a bit premature. On a most basic level they (we) don't have body autonomy and further on life choices and our representation in politics is disproportionately low. If that's offends you fine but from now on I have no intention to explain my personal circumstances to validate my opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

meeeeh wrote: »

It's funny how only I have to defend my life choices firstly because I was not born in Ireland and secondly because I think women should have more options than the traditional role at home. Nobody else was repeatedly told to explain themselves either why they live in Ireland and when that was clarified, why I made choices around work I did. I didn't ask you to explain your situation, I don't care about it, my point is that celebrating how great women have it in Ireland is a bit premature. On a most basic level they (we) don't have body autonomy and further on life choices and our representation in politics is disproportionately low. If that's offends you fine but from now on I have no intention to explain my personal circumstances to validate my opinions.

the only reason people are asking where your from is because you mentioned it as part of your post about how ireland is a terible country for women . asking you to explain why you think that is perfectly normal. i dont care where your from but i would like to know where you are comparing us to so that we can see for ourselves if this utopia is realy how you say it is.

as for body autonomy. nobody in this country is dictating what you do to your body (abortion is the only one but thats not just a womans issue) .

as for political representation. thats just a joke. yes there are fewer women but that is down to women nt wanting to be polititions. there is nothing stoppping them only themselves , if anything there is too many biases towards women to get into politicts(gender quotas )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I don't understand the fixation with representation in politics. There are constantly references to ill defined and vague barriers that effect women (and only women apparently) entering politics.

I disagreed with quotas as they were implemented for party candidates for the Dail. Why not have it reflect the % party membership by gender, and have it for council seats to provide experienced candidates for Dail election in the future?

A quick search throws up this article from 2014 on party membership. Fine Gael had the highest female % of part members at over 40%. What is the barrier to entry here, for females to become active party members? They could change the parties from within if they wanted to, but it is much easier to shout equality and get legislation passed to improve their chances of becoming TDs.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-and-fianna-f%C3%A1il-have-lowest-percentage-of-female-local-election-candidates-1.1797553

I'm only in favour of equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

@the_pen_turner
    I never said It's a terrible country. I said all the celebrating because there were two female presidents in relatively irrelevant political position is bit patronising.

And no it was not explain were I come from, questions were in hope I will say I was on a bredline and had to move to discredit my argument.

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    A quick search throws up this article from 2014 on party membership. Fine Gael had the highest female % of part members at over 40%. What is the barrier to entry here, for females to become active party members? They could change the parties from within if they wanted to, but it is much easier to shout equality and get legislation passed to improve their chances of becoming TDs.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-and-fianna-f%C3%A1il-have-lowest-percentage-of-female-local-election-candidates-1.1797553
    Fg councillor was told by her colleague chairing the meeting to dye her hair blond and it will be easier to notice when she wants to speak. Another FG senator complained about bullying, Kate O'Connell pointed out another FG Twitter moron who was insulting her and many others whose opinion offended him. Mostly women. That's the situation in a party with 40% women memberships in last few months. And you wonder why there are not more women in politics.

I don't think quotas are required forever but they are needed at the moment to break the whole gentleman's club environment. Things will gradually improve not because of quotas but because other women will feel more comfortable enter the politics. But not before the attitude above is stamped out.

Fg councillor was told by her colleague chairing the meeting to dye her hair blond and it will be easier to notice when she wants to speak. Another FG senator complained about bullying, Kate O'Connell pointed out another FG Twitter moron who was insulting her and many others whose opinion offended him. Mostly women. That's the situation in a party with 40% women memberships in last few months. And you wonder why there are not more women in politics.

I don't think quotas are required forever but they are needed at the moment to break the whole gentleman's club environment. Things will gradually improve not because of quotas but because other women will feel more comfortable enter the politics. But not before the attitude above is stamped out.

those are issues tha should be delt with by disiplinary procedures. dont nothing or tweeting about it wont stop thee kinds of things. reporting it will

there are lots of reasons why people dont want to go into politics. they apply to both genders.

those are issues tha should be delt with by disiplinary procedures. dont nothing or tweeting about it wont stop thee kinds of things. reporting it will

They were reported, the problem is that this stuff actually exists.

there are horrible people in all jobs. it doesnt stop women going into those jobs.
    stamping it out is a much better way to fix things that to write of the career

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I enjoy following LO'N's antics because it flows like a Charlie Brooker character.
    I imagine a reverse Nathan Barley 12 years on in time. Female, rural, trying desperately to join the "cool gang" but is steeped in that strange innate judging, finger wagging style of Irish conservatism.

She's like the love child John Waters and Mary Kenny deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

humberklog wrote: »
    I enjoy following LO'N's antics because it flows like a Charlie Brooker character.
    I imagine a reverse Nathan Barley 12 years on in time. Female, rural, trying desperately to join the "cool gang" but is steeped in that strange innate judging, finger wagging style of Irish conservatism.

She's like the love child John Waters and Mary Kenny deserve.

thank you for that lovely image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

there are horrible people in all jobs. it doesnt stop women going into those jobs.
    stamping it out is a much better way to fix things that to write of the career

Bullying happens in all work places tough. The worst bullying I have ever heard of in more than one occasion was from female teachers. This doesn't stop women from becoming teachers tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Reverse the gender representation argument - women need to get off their lazy behinds and stop hiding behind home life and start shouldering the burden of becoming CEOs and high ranking politicians.

Note: this is obviously satire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Would more women joining the parties not break the "gentleman's club environment"? Were these cases reported and what were the outcomes?

More women joining would give them more candidates for selection, and more power over candidate selection (if gender is the only policy they vote on, they could get many candidates), with more party voters and henceforth change the nature of politics in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

pilly wrote: »
    Had to throw in that sly dig didn't you? Nasty.

??? The poster has said several times that this is what fulfills her. How is that nasty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You think male politicians never insult each other ???? It's not a career for the thin skinned.

Male politician challenges male politician = heated debate
    Female politician challenges female politician = banter
    Male politician challenges female politician = sexism

If a male politician had said this http://www.newstalk.com/McDonald-defends-clout-question-to-Noirin-OSullivan-amid-sexism-claims instead of Mary Lou it would be decried as sexist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Or this one from Catherine Connolly

Independent TD Catherine Connolly says previous attempts at creating bypasses have failed.
    She said: "I describe it as a male, stale way of thinking that further roads and cars is the only way forward."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/public-transport-is-solution-to-galway-traffic-problems-say-critics-to-ring-road-proposal-827998.html

professore wrote: »
    If a male politician had said this http://www.newstalk.com/McDonald-defends-clout-question-to-Noirin-OSullivan-amid-sexism-claims instead of Mary Lou it would be decried as sexist

Would, should, could? Did they and was there any reaction? Or are you just speculating in everyone is out to get men sort of way?

I can't see what's wrong with the question personally whoever asks it but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Does anyone else think that she might be a bit “fetishy” about being persecuted and objectified by men?
    She clearly sees objectification discrimination and persecution where none exists. To the point where it appears to be confining her to her mothers house, in particular her childhood bedroom.
    Is it possible she gets a little kick out of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,746 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry, I read that first as 'fiesty'???

• Advertisement

Folks in fairness why wouldn't she be a loon when she is being encouraged?

https://twitter.com/Campus_ie/status/971113188094722049?s=19

What a fúcked up country we live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Or this one from Catherine Connolly

Independent TD Catherine Connolly says previous attempts at creating bypasses have failed.
    She said: "I describe it as a male, stale way of thinking that further roads and cars is the only way forward."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/public-transport-is-solution-to-galway-traffic-problems-say-critics-to-ring-road-proposal-827998.html

To be fair, it's more stupid than sexist.

thats crazy. this womans day crap has gotten out of hand this year. its on the radio all day and by the looks of it all week. its not till thursday
    im ok with one day but a full week. f off with this crap.
    fwi. mens day wa barely mentions on its day. it was a sunday but no big write ups or debates on mens issues

surely there are a lot of women out there that have done somthing meaningfull with their live instead of this kind of toxic person. mary robinson maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

She's an internationally successful novelist, described by the Guardian as 'the greatest young adult fiction writer alive today' (that's according to her Wikipedia entry), so why wouldn't her success be celebrated? Apart from the 'men's rights' types who moan obsessively about her on here, she's not exactly some kind of national hate figure. This thread's hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I thought her mother did all the driving for her.

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/971044230440374273

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Ok. But still not how literally works. You seem tense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

darkdubh wrote: »
    I thought her mother did all the driving for her.

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/971044230440374273

International Women's march is in two days.

Ohhhh nooooo. Sorry I can't be there with my sisters I'm snowed in. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

International Women's march is in two days.

Ohhhh nooooo. Sorry I can't be there with my sisters I'm snowed in. ;)

Don't worry, if she cant make it, she'll make sure its a appointment with a female, like she did last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She's an internationally successful novelist, described by the Guardian as 'the greatest young adult fiction writer alive today' (that's according to her Wikipedia entry), so why wouldn't her success be celebrated? Apart from the 'men's rights' types who moan obsessively about her on here, she's not exactly some kind of national hate figure. This thread's hilarious.

International is a strech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think she got picked by campus.ie because Ireland is a small country, we don't have many writers, and even less female. It's a small country, it's just the way it is. I imagine that Emma Hannigan, among others, would have been selected-but sadly she has passed on.

This is a country that makes annoying instagram people 'stars' because they're gay and have 300 followers. It's the one time I wouldn't make too much of it-who follows that site anyway?

Ian O'Doherty wrote an article defending the word 'scumbag' and deriding John Connors and his ilk (LON inc). As he noted, it's a word, we know it doesn't apply to an entire neighbourhood, it's responding to someone's actions. Separates the good from the bad.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma/ian-odoherty-looters-are-scumbags-to-say-anything-else-is-an-insult-to-their-honest-neighbours-36674237.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement