Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

fwi. mens day wa barely mentions on its day. it was a sunday but no big write ups or debates on mens issues

It’s so tough being a white guy in a western country.

Stay strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Independent TD Catherine Connolly says previous attempts at creating bypasses have failed.
    She said: "I describe it as a male, stale way of thinking that further roads and cars is the only way forward."l[/url]

That's disgraceful. Was she chastised over it?

I'd have liked to seen the response from this Aussie senator had she said that in front of him:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Stay strong.

Well, thank god he isn't a white guy in South Africa.

You ok hun? xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Stay strong.

its still true though.
    there are loads of mens rights issues that should be tackled before some of really small issues these people are complaining about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

splinter65 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that she might be a bit “fetishy” about being persecuted and objectified by men?
    She clearly sees objectification discrimination and persecution where none exists. To the point where it appears to be confining her to her mothers house, in particular her childhood bedroom.
    Is it possible she gets a little kick out of it?

Indeed, it's this craze of wanting to be a victim, like those loons wailing at the sky when Trump was inaugurated - these people are HAPPY that Trump is president , it gives them "victimhood" ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Stay strong.

Its much the same as being a white woman in a western country. Both have it pretty good. Perhaps the women more so these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stay strong.

Its certainly easier to be a woman!

She's an internationally successful novelist, described by the Guardian as 'the greatest young adult fiction writer alive today' (that's according to her Wikipedia entry), so why wouldn't her success be celebrated? Apart from the 'men's rights' types who moan obsessively about her on here, she's not exactly some kind of national hate figure. This thread's hilarious.

Where have we campaigned for 'mens rights' on this thread ? Obviously you have your own agenda that you are making stuff up so there is not much point arguing further.

Your missing the point too that her so called ideology is warped, hypocritical and dangerous and they are not just going on her writing alone. 'She inspires women' apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

meeeeh wrote: »
    Would, should, could? Did they and was there any reaction? Or are you just speculating in everyone is out to get men sort of way?

I can't see what's wrong with the question personally whoever asks it but that's just me.

Male politicians are not claiming they have less opportunities and are being discriminated against because of their gender. Female politicians are. And use every opportunity to say they are, even though in the vast majority of cases it's not true. That destroys their credibility. Thus proving they are just as suited to the backstabbing game of politics as men are.

I have great admiration for Mary O Rourke - she never played that card, just got on with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

thats crazy. this womans day crap has gotten out of hand this year. its on the radio all day and by the looks of it all week. its not till thursday
    im ok with one day but a full week. f off with this crap.
    fwi. mens day wa barely mentions on its day. it was a sunday but no big write ups or debates on mens issues

surely there are a lot of women out there that have done somthing meaningfull with their live instead of this kind of toxic person. mary robinson maybe

There's a men's day????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd love if one of ex boyfriends started writing articles about his previous relationships!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Boys, would you?

Absolutely not, and then 3 weeks later she regrets it and decides to ruin your life by crying "rape"? ..... F*CK THAT!

professore wrote: »
    There's a men's day????

November 19th I think, and Childrens day is the very next day - I know this as it's my sons birthday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

splinter65 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that she might be a bit “fetishy” about being persecuted and objectified by men?
    She clearly sees objectification discrimination and persecution where none exists. To the point where it appears to be confining her to her mothers house, in particular her childhood bedroom.
    Is it possible she gets a little kick out of it?
    For many of these people victimhood is their
    raison d'etre. Without it they are nothing.

I'd love if one of ex boyfriends started writing articles about his previous relationships!

He'd probably be crucified by the media if he did it too - sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Boys, would you?

In terms of attraction, she's kind of my type. I suppose I'd find her attractive... but the answer is simply just no. She's just spite and bitterness to the tips of her toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

TomSweeney wrote: »

He probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

She's an internationally successful novelist, described by the Guardian as 'the greatest young adult fiction writer alive today' (that's according to her Wikipedia entry), so why wouldn't her success be celebrated?

Make up your mind. Is she a nobody or not?
    I think I still follow her on Twitter (I don't agree with some of what she writes, but anyone who annoys some of the... characters on AH is a good egg, as far as I'm concerned), but her name seems to pop up a lot more here than there. Like, a lot.

cantdecide wrote: »
    In terms of attraction, she's kind of my type. I suppose I'd find her attractive... but the answer is simply just no. She's just spite and bitterness to the tips of her toes.

ah sure yeah, i've seen photos of her where physically she is attractive.

oh sorry, Im a judgemental sexist pig for saying such shallow things :(

We should have a poll..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Male politicians are not claiming they have less opportunities and are being discriminated against because of their gender. Female politicians are. And use every opportunity to say they are, even though in the vast majority of cases it's not true. That destroys their credibility. Thus proving they are just as suited to the backstabbing game of politics as men are.

I have great admiration for Mary O Rourke - she never played that card, just got on with the job.
    Oh right, male politicians have credibility, female don't. I get it.

I admire Mary O'Rourke but she is part political dynasty, she didn't need to play any card she had the connections and ready made organization around her.

There's a men's day????

barely. its hidden away and get almost no atention or media times.
    it is also international toilet day. that says it all really doesnt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,746 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah Pen, to make you feel better, tune into Sky, as they are doing a programme with 100 influential women ATM.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah Pen, to make you feel better, tune into Sky, as they are doing a programme with 100 influential women ATM.

iv no problem with celecrating great women. there are lots of great women down through the years .

my problem is when they start saying that only women are great and the men cant do anything but rape and hold back women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ann Widdecombe is another to admire over in Britain.

Watch her speak about the third wave movement. She's very direct and honest and downright funny at times when she debates a LON type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Make up your mind. Is she a nobody or not?

I never said she was a 'nobody'. I said I see her name popping up a lot more on here than on Twitter, despite following her on there. What I was implying, because it seems that you aren't capable of reading between the lines, is that some people on here seem to be really obsessed with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Agreed. I'd love to see an 'Louise O'Neill's ex boyfriend' twitter account in the style of Rte secret producer, I'm sure it would be hilarious.
    Full of craziness I woukd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Absolutely not, and then 3 weeks later she regrets it and decides to ruin your life by crying "rape"? ..... F*CK THAT!

Wrong blogger.... that's Rosemary MacCabe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I never said she was a 'nobody'. I said I see her name popping up a lot more on here than on Twitter, despite following her on there. What I was implying, because it seems that you aren't capable of reading between the lines, is that some people on here seem to be really obsessed with her.

Reading between the lines :pac:
    I read your post and the post you were replying to. Pretty clear what you were getting at. You’re just wriggling now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wrong blogger.... that's Rosemary MacCabe

Nah, she'd wait 20 years to ruin your life, possible announcing it at your funeral, then be like 'but forget I said anything'.

LON would wait three weeks, but then use grey area language like 'non-consensual'- never mind 'non-consensual' has a scale, ie 'different, but I liked it' to 'they violated my body'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement