Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They're not as good as mine.

Given your last few posts I see why you stick up for LON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

pjohnson wrote: »
    Given your last few posts I see why you stick up for LON.

I've just checked my last few posts and can confirm that they are also very good posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I've just checked my last few posts and can confirm that they are also very good posts.

You're gas. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Can't speak for anyone else but if my parents or teacher told me to read a book as a teenager, I would likely responded by rolling my eyes or dismissing them. Many teenagers don't look to their parents and teachers for guidance on books or music or films and consider them decidedly uncool.
    Very much this. Eye rolling at adults to Olympic level is one of the wonderful things about being a teenager.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Can't speak for anyone else but if my parents or teacher told me to read a book as a teenager, I would likely responded by rolling my eyes or dismissing them. Many teenagers don't look to their parents and teachers for guidance on books or music or films and consider them decidedly uncool.

Well If it just makes one parent aware of what Louise is about. It's worth it.
    It might also make teachers a little more aware of what she's about before asking her to speak to the students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well If it just makes one parent aware of what Louise is about. It's worth it.
    It might also make teachers a little more aware of what she's about before asking her to speak to the students.

What's your view on people going to see Caravaggio paintings and should people go to see them. Should Wagner's music still be played, should people still watch Woody Allen's movies?

Did you just equate 'asking for it' with the ring cycle?..

Or third wave feminism with Nazi ideology?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

meeeeh wrote: »
    What's your view on people going to see Caravaggio paintings and should people go to see them. Should Wagner's music still be played, should people still watch Woody Allen's movies?
    That's more than a bit of a silly stretch as a comparison. Taking your angle the better comparison might be would people be happy seeing and listening to Caravaggio and Wagner in person and hearing their views. Wagner's music, Caravaggio's paintings and even Allen's films are not agenda driven to nearly the same degree and are pretty well removed from the authors on that score(at most Allen's output would be a reflection of upper middle class "lefty" with a small L Manhattanites). If kids are shown the Mona Lisa it'll hardly convince them that being an ambidextrous gay vegetarian is the way forward. Even ambidextrous gay vegetarian folks viewing the Virgin of the Rocks aren't gonna notice a thing.

On the other hand individuals like Ms O'Neill are their "art" and are promoting a clear agenda with no apology through same. And she's not the only one promoting agendas these days, not by a long shot. However she's no different to any of the others of whatever stripe out there. She's just promoting a more popular view among certain sections of the media and culture of today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I never said people shouldn't do anything or encourage their children to do anything. I'm not the person saying xxxx book is a must read or you should watch xxxx program or get your kids to do it.
    I just said what Louises views are on certain matters and people can decide if they are for them or if they'd like their children to have them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ha! Just saw the thread title. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

It often depended on the teacher, tbh. Like, some had enthusiasm that made you wanna read the darn book. I know in Leaving Cert years (5th and 6th) that I had those teachers.
    On the other hand, in my JC years, the darn teacher I had for English did not encourage anyone to read.

I know this is off topic, but wondering what people make of this-like would a woman be flattered if a guy tried to trace her? (Btw, I actually found this story kinda sweet, not creepy). I mean, I believe if you feel there is a connection, say something.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5473647/Woman-liked-Yodel-driver-invites-HOUSE.html

I've seen these kind of stories in the past and most of them have been about men tracking down a woman. It's usually portrayed as romantic and silly rather than creepy.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's more than a bit of a silly stretch as a comparison. Taking your angle the better comparison might be would people be happy seeing and listening to Caravaggio and Wagner in person and hearing their views. Wagner's music, Caravaggio's paintings and even Allen's films are not agenda driven to nearly the same degree and are pretty well removed from the authors on that score(at most Allen's output would be a reflection of upper middle class "lefty" with a small L Manhattanites). If kids are shown the Mona Lisa it'll hardly convince them that being an ambidextrous gay vegetarian is the way forward. Even ambidextrous gay vegetarian folks viewing the Virgin of the Rocks aren't gonna notice a thing.

On the other hand individuals like Ms O'Neill are their "art" and are promoting a clear agenda with no apology through same. And she's not the only one promoting agendas these days, not by a long shot. However she's no different to any of the others of whatever stripe out there. She's just promoting a more popular view among certain sections of the media and culture of today.
    I quoted the wrong post. The same person advocated of not buying a book in previous post. There are a lot of artists whose opinions I don't agree yet that doesn't diminish their art. This kind of attitude of let's protect the kids from critically well received books is backward and shorsighted.

I quoted the wrong post. The same person advocated of not buying a book in previous post. There are a lot of artists whose opinions I don't agree yet that doesn't diminish their art. This kind of attitude of let's protect the kids from critically well received books is backward and shorsighted.

I get what your saying and I think it's important to allow teenagers/kids to experiences things with in reason.
    My point is basically certain parts of the media (A lot in my opinion) only really seem to push Lousie's view and everybody else is wrong and a bully/troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Plenty of people have said they can no longer watch a movie that has Spacey in it. Similarly fans of Louise would tend to look down on Friends after that "homophobic" nonsense.

Louise is also far from a Renaissance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

pjohnson wrote: »
    Plenty of people have said they can no longer watch a movie that has Spacey in it.

And plenty of people are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hang on a minute- she is on the Late Late tomorrow night, didnt some posters say that she is dating Tubridy too? Is there any truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What kind of mood is Ryan on?

Dull as usual I reckon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hang on a minute- she is on the Late Late tomorrow night, didnt some posters say that she is dating Tubridy too? Is there any truth to this?

Imagine of those 2 had childer together :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Muahahaha wrote: »

ughhh, despite the obvious unpleasant thoughts that brings to mind, isn't there an unfeasibly large age gap between them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

But how is she on the most iconic, most watched Irish tv show ever?
    Sure nobody has ever heard of her outside this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

If she is seeing Tubridy is she trying to drop a hint there on her Twitter for him? :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

If she has to insist on having an orgasm every time then she's doing something very, very wrong in bed. Orgasms come easily to two people who are passionate about each other. You can also have very good sex/foreplay/petting without having an orgasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,746 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Isn't it on the Late Late, Turbridy met his previous, love interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Water John wrote: »

Bertie Ahern?

Tubs is becoming the Letterman of RTE....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Greybottle wrote: »
    If she has to insist on having an orgasm every time then she's doing something very, very wrong in bed. Orgasms come easily to two people who are passionate about each other. You can also have very good sex/foreplay/petting without having an orgasm.
    Perhaps the tweet was a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

I don’t think JFK was on it now due to prior engagements

I don’t think JFK was on it now due to prior engagements

he would have cheated on Tubs anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement