Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Will be given an easy ride I'm sure.

They should have a panel discussion 2moro noght instead of a one on one interview. Bring in people with different viewpoints and let Lou debate her philosophy in the public arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I do not understand and never understand why the likes of this person are afforded the oxygen of publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Perhaps the tweet was a joke?

You could say that about almsot nugget of sh1t she comes out with.. except she always serious it seems...

Apart from the '... I love men' moniker on her Twitter profile. Pretty sure that ones a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Water John wrote: »
    Isn't it on the Late Late, Turbridy met his previous, love interest?

Nope, met her on Rose of Tralee. Worked for Daithi O'Se too.
    If she is seeing Tubridy is she trying to drop a hint there on her Twitter for him? :confused::D
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hang on a minute- she is on the Late Late tomorrow night, didnt some posters say that she is dating Tubridy too? Is there any truth to this?

Well, Ryan has said he's still single. Even last August. And LON always goes on about her singledom, if she was dating, she'd never be quiet about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Can't wait to hear her tackle the issue of female genital mutila......

Wait actually **** that jazz she has a book to plug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

But how is she on the most iconic, most watched Irish tv show ever?
    Sure nobody has ever heard of her outside this thread.

Being known by anyone outside the RTE canteen is not a requirement to appear on the Late Late Show.
    Have a look at the guests that have been on this show. Non-entities usually flogging a book or else it's RTE staff promoting an RTE show.
    The Nielsen Tam method of ratings is starting to be questioned now, thankfully. It's utterly flawed,particularly now.
    I don't know how RTE get away with it.
    Advertisers are finally starting to ask questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I think that's usually the case when an author comes onto the Late Late Show to plug their book. I'm sure every word she says will be humourlessly dissected on this thread though, so I'm looking forward to that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,746 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'll give her a fair hearing, but I have no problem calling out anything that is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

She certainly was the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I do not understand and never understand why the likes of this person are afforded the oxygen of publicity

Talented writer, published author, voice of her generation, chronicler mould breaker at the forefront of a social revolution, thumb on the pulse of the zeitgeist, perceptive thinker and commentator on contemporary society, courageous caller-out of injustice, 'influencer', engaging, charming, has own driver, looks swell in a natty onesie, and is a good looking lass to boot.

Whats not to understand ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

But how is she on the most iconic, most watched Irish tv show ever?
    Sure nobody has ever heard of her outside this thread.

There are frequently guests on that show that I and I’d say many others have no clue who they are. There was some Irish youtuber on it a few weeks back. A Snapchatter a few weeks before that. They might as well have been called Mumbly Joe 1 and Mumbly Joe 2 for all I knew about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

_Dara_ wrote: »
    There are frequently guests on that show that I and I’d say many others have no clue who they are. There was some Irish youtuber on it a few weeks back. A Snapchatter a few weeks before that. They might as well have been called Mumbly Joe 1 and Mumbly Joe 2 for all I knew about them.

Yeah but the whole spiel we’ve been getting here is that she is not getting any exposure. Only for this thread blah blah blah...
    A few hundred thousand people will be listening to her tomorrow night. So I think that line of argument should stop right there.

Talented writer, published author, voice of her generation, chronicler mould breaker at the forefront of a social revolution, thumb on the pulse of the zeitgeist, perceptive thinker and commentator on contemporary society, courageous caller-out of injustice, 'influencer', engaging, charming, has own driver, looks swell in a natty onesie, and is a good looking lass to boot.

Have you posted on the wrong thread?

Her ramblings make no sense whatsoever. She has absolutely no talent and hasnt even the emotional maturity to engage in any debate. She is a spoiled misandrist with a victim complex and it is alarming that young women might find this illusionist any form of inspiration whatsoever.. She is using her agenda on Twitter to try influence the judicial process in the Paddy Jackson case and if Tubridy is any good he should haul her over the coals for that tomorrow night.

This 'caller out' of injustice you describe has licence to say what the hell she likes without any repercussions. She represents a milestone in terms of how far we have fallen in Ireland and how pretty soon this country will be a race to the bottom and ran by full of David Brent type idiots.

Yeah but the whole spiel we’ve been getting here is that she is not getting any exposure. Only for this thread blah blah blah...
    A few hundred thousand people will be listening to her tomorrow night. So I think that line of argument should stop right there.

Well, that’s a future event. So it has no bearing on what has already been said along those lines.

And, to be honest, a few hundred thousand watching means that many people who don’t know her now still won’t know her tomorrow. You don’t get to decide if they’re being truthful because you’ll have no way of disproving it other than “Well, she was on a show that a tenth of the country watch!”. And those social media guys I mentioned above? I couldn’t tell you what their names are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I know very well who Louise O'Neill is, I've heard of her books well before this thread. I also heard some of her interviews however I never read any of her Examiner columns or any of her tweets before this thread (And one opinion piece after this thread started). Louise O'Neill the novelist is well known Louise O'Neill the man eating woman less so.

Water John wrote: »
    I'll give her a fair hearing, but I have no problem calling out anything that is nonsense.

I've read enough of her crap. In fairness she is only one idiot. It's the cheerleaders and muppets that are all over the Irish media that will try bully people into believing this poisonous victim complex ideology that i really despise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

And those social media guys I mentioned above? I couldn’t tell you what their names are now.

I think one of them was called Stink Eye Lopez

meeeeh wrote: »
    I know very well who Louise O'Neill is, I've heard of her books well before this thread. I also heard some of her interviews however I never read any of her Examiner columns or any of her tweets before this thread (And one opinion piece after this thread started). Louise O'Neill the novelist is well known Louise O'Neill the man eating woman less so.

Typo? :)

Well, that’s a future event. So it has no bearing on what has already been said along those lines.

Well she’s been on it before so it does.

Well she’s been on it before so it does.

Well, I rarely watch tLL and didn’t see that so... yeah. A tenth of the country watches it. Anyone who didn’t watch the night she was on (90% of the country, weighted towards the yoof to late yoof) - why would they know her because of that?

So, again, just because she’s going to be tLL doesn’t mean you can decide that people are lying when they say they don’t know of her outside of boards.ie. And you ARE calling people liars here. Let’s be clear on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Typo? :)

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Hi Louise.

Well, I rarely watch tLL and didn’t see that so... yeah. A tenth of the country watches it. Anyone who didn’t watch the night she was on (90% of the country, weighted towards the yoof to late yoof) - why would they know her because of that?

So, again, just because she’s going to be tLL doesn’t mean you can decide that people are lying when they say they don’t know of her outside of boards.ie. And you ARE calling people liars here. Let’s be clear on that.

I just said I don’t believe you. I may be wrong but I’m entitled to that stance. I don’t really care what way you take it.

I just said I don’t believe you. I may be wrong but I’m entitled to that stance. I don’t really care what way you take it.

How dogged you are in your responses betrays that you're anything but nonchalant about it. People saying that boards.ie drew their attention to LON clearly bothers you. And the points you put forth to back up why you don't believe people who say that don't really in anyway bolster your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Have you posted on the wrong thread?

Her ramblings make no sense whatsoever. She has absolutely no talent and hasnt even the emotional maturity to engage in any debate. She is a spoiled misandrist with a victim complex and it is alarming that young women might find this illusionist any form of inspiration whatsoever.. She is using her agenda on Twitter to try influence the judicial process in the Paddy Jackson case and if Tubridy is any good he should haul her over the coals for that tomorrow night.

This 'caller out' of injustice you describe has licence to say what the hell she likes without any repercussions. She represents a milestone in terms of how far we have fallen in Ireland and how pretty soon this country will be a race to the bottom and ran by full of David Brent type idiots.
    He's not serious. Hint is in the username

The
    Rape
    of
    Lucretia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

How dogged you are in your responses betrays that you're anything but nonchalant about it. People saying that boards.ie drew their attention to LON clearly bothers you. And the points you put forth to back up why you don't believe people who say that don't really in anyway bolster your view.

Clearly, his point was that posters claiming earlier in the thread that she isn't well known or doesn't have much exposure are incorrect, and he's right too.

She will be on The Late Late Show tomorrow night. She's been on it before, as well as The Tommy Tiernan Show. She's also had her own documentary on that rape culture nonsense. All of this on the national broadcaster, funded by the taxpayer. She has spoken on Newstalk I believe. She is an online columnist for a national newspaper. She has appeared at events at various universities in Ireland. One of her novels is being made into play. She has had, and continues to enjoy plenty of exposure.

I’m just sceptical of people that come along every so often to tell others how irrelevant she is.

See the great thing about Louise is she’s so off the wall that people are ashamed to admit that they agree with her. Then you have the others who, because she’s coming from a certain side, have to bat for that side but they’re also ashamed to get fully behind her.
    So then you get the whole thing of playing down her relevance and mocking the posters that disagree with/dislike her. Making them out to be obsessive and basically threadspoiling because that’s all they really have for ammunition.

Clearly, his point was that posters claiming earlier in the thread that she isn't well known or doesn't have much exposure are incorrect, and he's right too.

No quite right. Personally, I never said she didn't have exposure. I did say I hadn't heard of her until her first boards megathread so whatever exposure she had didn't penetrate my consciousness. That was my point and will.i.am.not DID question that. So it wasn't just about posters saying she hadn't exposure. It was whether that access to national media really made her all that known. He did not and still doesn't believe that some of us wouldn't have heard of her outside of boards.ie.

I’m just sceptical of people that come along every so often to tell others how irrelevant she is.

See the great thing about Louise is she’s so off the wall that people are ashamed to admit that they agree with her.

And you decided that I was one of them. That's literally all it was - you deciding. Nothing else to go on.

And, I'm sorry, this thread is overkill. There are media figures I loathe - so I just avoid them. Easy peasy. LON is one of them, I suppose. I'm not sure I loathe her - she just is a basket case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Louiseageddon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement