Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Not watching
    giphy.gif

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hadn't any major problem with that, interview. I think she is correct on that she is not suited to social media.
    Will read the book and judge it, for its story and how it's written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

she and her like are going to swing the undecided voters in the abortion referendum to No

Wait til you hear about how the Pro Life Campaign behaves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

What she say about it?

Isn't that already happening? And it's also been done before. By disney.

http://time.com/3586569/sexist-little-mermaid/

As many note, Ariel's the one who does most of the saving in the Disney version.

Thinking I might have to unfollow this tv3 presenter...I completely disagree...

https://twitter.com/MuireannO_C/status/972243536287617028

CptMackey wrote: »
    She is saying a lot without saying anything of substance. Just buzz words

Trust, Encouragement, Reward, Loyalty......Satisfaction!!

• Advertisement

Is Louise finished yet?

latest?cb=20170515115326

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

ricero wrote: »
    I feel like voting no just to piss her off after listening to her spouting ****

Right because the referendum is about getting one over her. Not about the fact that this will affect many women and men. Because making life easier for those who have to go through to hoops because their baby has fatal fetal abnormalities or those who have to bring a child to term after being raped are insignificant in comparison to you managing to piss Louise O'Neill off. I hope you are proud of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Looking forward to a feminist retelling of that chauvinistic story that was the little mermaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,760 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

meeeeh wrote: »
    Right because the referendum is about getting one over her. Not about the fact that this will affect many women and men. Because making life easier for those who have to go through to hoops because their baby has fatal fetal abnormalities or those who have to bring a child to term after being raped are insignificant in comparison to you managing to piss Louise O'Neill off. I hope you are proud of yourself.

It's not. What the referendum needs to pass is get the on the fence voters on side. People with extreme views won't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

nullzero wrote: »
    Looking forward to a feminist retelling of that chauvinistic story that was the little mermaid.

Because white male privilige made the prince go off with the nonmermaid.
    Speciest chauvinstic b0110x.

• Advertisement

It's not. What the referendum needs to pass is get the on the fence voters on side. People with extreme views won't help.

I've yet to see anyone actively campaigning against free, safe and legal abortion who isn't an extremist, and who has the ability to get on-the-fence voters on side.

I've yet to see anyone actively campaigning against free, safe and legal abortion who isn't an extremist, and who has the ability to get on-the-fence voters on side.

Take somebody like Leo, Michael Martin, etc. These people would have changed their minds on the issue when they heard the facts/etc. over the years I wouldn't consider them extremists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

That's because you see the world in black and white. People used to laugh when George Bush said 'you're either with us or against us' but now it's 'you're either with us or you're one of the Worst People in the Worldtm'

You forget that anti-abortion used to be the mainstream, were your parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. all extremists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What doesn’t help is people saying they’re going to vote no to piss off Louise, who doesn’t even know they exist.
    Some people need to have a word with themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I'd say that 99% of the population would agree with abortion in those two cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Louise wouldn’t influence me in how I would vote. My advice is to vote on what YOU think is right not to spite anyone

anna080 wrote: »
    What doesn’t help is people saying they’re going to vote no to piss off Louise, who doesn’t even know they exist.
    Some people need to have a word with themselves.

I get where your coming from and her views are loved within her social circle but she doesn't help the campaign at all in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

jk23 wrote: »
    Louise wouldn’t influence me in how I would vote. My advice is to vote on what YOU think is right not to spite anyone

It depends, if moderate people see this as another front for the radicals to pat themselves on the back and claim legitimacy then they may also feel that rewarding radicalism is actually worse than allowing rare abortions in restricted circumstances.

But post I quoted wasn't about being on the fence. It was about voting certain way just to spite someone. I have no problem with people who vote whatever way the do because of their beliefs. But doing it for superficial, dumb reasons is pathetic. And morally reprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Is it safe yet?

g3jVLOx.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I get where your coming from and her views are loved within her social circle but she doesn't help the campaign at all in my opinion.
    I doubt they make much of an impact either way. Both campaigns have their eejits and people expect that, but when it comes down to it, people will vote on the issue and not the celebs attached to the cause.

Take somebody like Leo, Michael Martin, etc. These people would have changed their minds on the issue when they heard the facts/etc. over the years I wouldn't consider them extremists.
    Charmeleon wrote:
    That's because you see the world in black and white. People used to laugh when George Bush said 'you're either with us or against us' but now it's 'you're either with us or you're one of the Worst People in the Worldtm'

You forget that anti-abortion used to be the mainstream, were your parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. all extremists?

I italicised 'campaigning' in my post because I wanted to differentiate between people who aren't in favour of abortion and people who are prepared to actively campaign against it.

But post I quoted wasn't about being on the fence. It was about voting certain way just to spite someone. I have no problem with people who vote whatever way the do because of their beliefs. But doing it for superficial, dumb reasons is pathetic. And morally reprehensible.

Yes, I know that. I was just saying I think she does more harm then good overall.

I'd say that 99% of the population would agree with abortion in those two cases.

That is missing the point. It's wrong to make a decision on an important topic like this just by who is representing one side or the other. People affected by referendum deserve more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ellie Hagan on Sky just made the point that social media activity can be very stressful. I would agree and as I said above, a significant number of people incl LON should opt out, for their own good mental health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Those "on the fence" voters aren't really undecided though, they just don't want to let anyone know (especially pollsters) what they really think for fear of being called, well, extremists....

I mean how have people not learned this by now? Trump and Brexit are prime examples of this and should be constant reminders that if you are going to label people extreme for having a different point of view then there is zero chance of you ever persuading someone to side with you.

I personally don't see the 8th being repealed because of this kind of attitude. Spitefullness is a very powerful emotion and it can be a deciding factor in a lot of political decisions and societal referendums. A lot of people voted for Trump and Brexit simply to spite others and I don't see referendum going any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Water John wrote: »
    Ellie Hagan on Sky just made the point that social media activity can be very stressful. I would agree and as I said above, a significant number of people incl LON should opt out, for their own good mental health.

I agree, I had to delete Facebook it was wrecking my head. So much passive aggression and posting for birthdays made my mind up to do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

jk23 wrote: »
    I agree, I had to delete Facebook it was wrecking my head

Best think you'll ever do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Best think you'll ever do!

Facebook is as good or bad as you make it. Accept a load of gobsh*tes as friends and it’s going to annoy you. Keep it to people you know and like and it won’t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Water John wrote: »

She is the type of person that lives by a belief system that is fundamentally untrue. Hence she would get constant abuse online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement