Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,760 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Water John wrote: »
    Ellie Hagan on Sky just made the point that social media activity can be very stressful. I would agree and as I said above, a significant number of people incl LON should opt out, for their own good mental health.

I have a great time on Facebook/Twitter. I follow people I like and am friends with.Same with brands etc. I can keep up date with programs/cars/etc.
    I don't follow things when everything gets turned into along debate for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

meeeeh wrote: »
    That is missing the point. It's wrong to make a decision on an important topic like this just by who is representing one side or the other. People affected by referendum deserve more.

Well then. Your problem should be with RTE promoting this girl as a feminist and a voice for the repeal campaign if her words make people vote no just to spite her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Just watched her on +1...an easily forgettable individual only for this thread keeps popping up on page 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Right because the referendum is about getting one over her. Not about the fact that this will affect many women and men. Because making life easier for those who have to go through to hoops because their baby has fatal fetal abnormalities or those who have to bring a child to term after being raped are insignificant in comparison to you managing to piss Louise O'Neill off. I hope you are proud of yourself.

I too will be voting no for this very reason.

Oh yeh....*clicks unfollow*:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I too will be voting no for this very reason.

#metoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Just watched her on +1...an easily forgettable individual only for this thread keeps popping up on page 1

If she didn't keep popping up in national news papers and television.

She would have been forgotten about already. Nothing to do with this thread.

If she didn't keep popping up in national news papers and television.

She would have been forgotten about already. Nothing to do with this thread.

Ive a bad habit of checking my quoted posts....
    I can avoid her in the papers and on t.v much easier than when I browse boards latest posts on page 1.
    For the avoidance of doubt I think she talks awful ****e but...
    1.I never heard of her until I saw this thread
    2.If i see her name mentioned anywhere Ill quickly turn the page or change channel.
    and 3.Clicks unfollow again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Those "on the fence" voters aren't really undecided though, they just don't want to let anyone know (especially pollsters) what they really think for fear of being called, well, extremists....

I mean how have people not learned this by now? Trump and Brexit are prime examples of this and should be constant reminders that if you are going to label people extreme for having a different point of view then there is zero chance of you ever persuading someone to side with you.

I personally don't see the 8th being repealed because of this kind of attitude. Spitefullness is a very powerful emotion and it can be a deciding factor in a lot of political decisions and societal referendums. A lot of people voted for Trump and Brexit simply to spite others and I don't see referendum going any other way.

I think it'll be very close, whatever way it goes. I was genuinely 'on the fence', veering more towards pro-life, the last time we had a chance to vote on issues surrounding abortion (2002). At the start of the campaign, I would have probably voted in favour of removing the threat of suicide as a grounds for legal abortion. It was only after reading and thinking about it that I changed my mind. I think it's very silly to dismiss the idea of people being torn between following their own personal moral views and pushing them aside in favour of pragmatism.

Jesus..Yeah, she comes across like a teenager with notions..it's all ideological sh1te..most would have grown out of it by now I would have thought..

And the state of her..

• Advertisement

The feckin spice girls..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Is she ready to come Get it?

Is she ready to take it from the old man?

Is she ready to be The King?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

The likes of her and her bullzhjt agenda is why so many voted for Trump in the US

It'll happen here too

The backlash is coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

She is the type of person that lives by a belief system that is fundamentally untrue. Hence she would get constant abuse online.

Ellie Hagan or Sophie Hagan? The latter went mental at the NHS for saying 'Obesity causes cancer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

She is the type of person that lives by a belief system that is fundamentally untrue. Hence she would get constant abuse online.

Some people (especially those who feel 'victimised' by her opinions) are arseholes. Hence she would get constant abuse online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

She is so fake, Oh Ryan please don't play this noooooot. What was the bulls5it about falling down the steps. BTW Tubridy is full of shi5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The likes of her and her bullzhjt agenda is why so many voted for Trump in the US

It'll happen here too

The backlash is coming.

One can only hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

One can only hope.

I would hope so, but atm the only one standing up for folks is Ian O'Doherty. I mean, I looked at twitter-and 'nice is a gendered word' was one of the 'what?' things she said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

When Tubridy was speaking about generations he was right to say 'We're not that far apart'. He's only 11 years or so older than her.

She might act like a teenager but she's a far bloody cry from still being one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

ricero wrote: »
    I feel like voting no just to piss her off after listening to her spouting ****

Seems like a waste seeing as she won't know what way you vote.
    It's not. What the referendum needs to pass is get the on the fence voters on side. People with extreme views won't help.

Right... but when it comes to abortion, there are extremists on both sides of the debate. Will the extreme pro-lifers push some towards voting to repeal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Right... but when it comes to abortion, there are extremists on both sides of the debate. Will the extreme pro-lifers push some towards voting to repeal?

No because it's just an excuse used by cowards who don't want to admit the real reasons for voting no. Nobody will be saying that tgey are voting yes just to spite Mattie McGrath, Danny Healy Rae or Ronan Mullen.

No because it's just an excuse used by cowards who don't want to admit the real reasons for voting no.

Yeah, I'm inclined to think that anyone who says they'll vote a certain way to spite someone was always leaning that way anyway.

I could never vote against what I believe in to spite someone (and it's so lame anyway - the person you're spiting isn't going to know!). I found some of the Yes campaign stuff in the lead up to the MarRef nauseating but it didn't make me want to vote differently. Well, I didn’t vote in the end as I was reeling from a life-changing diagnosis. But you get what I mean.

Yeah, I'm inclined to think that anyone who says they'll vote a certain way to spite someone was always leaning that way anyway.

I could never vote against what I believe in to spite someone (and it's so lame anyway - the person you're spiting isn't going to know!). I found some of the Yes campaign stuff in the lead up to the MarRef nauseating but it didn't make me want to vote differently.

Yes, most people won't vote Yes or No to annoy somebody however an extrimist on the matter won't help either side when the proper debates start.
    Take David Quinn's views would be considered extrimist but he does his best to back his views. Louise in my experience doesn't do this so I wouldn't include her in debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

There’s an unfollow option.

So why don't the whine bags use it if they can't bare to see their precious Louise criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Well to be fair the lad you quoted was only responding to a few that have muscled in on the thread giving us a lecture.

The post wasn't aimed at him at all. It was directed at the muscle in folks !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yes, most people won't vote Yes or No to annoy somebody however an extrimist on the matter won't help either side when the proper debates start.
    Take David Quinn's views would be considered extrimist but he does his best to back his views. Louise in my experience doesn't do this so I wouldn't include her in debates.

She doesn't do debates anyway, I cant recall any time where she was challenged in any kind of serious way over her views.

darkdubh wrote: »
    She doesn't do debates anyway, I cant recall any time where she was challenged in any kind of serious way over her views.

Tommy Tiernan tried to be serious enough with her and she wouldn't listen to barrister at all in he documentary.
    All I am saying really is I wouldn't ask her to debate the subject on TV if somebody was considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

givyjoe wrote: »
    So why don't the whine bags use it if they can't bare to see their precious Louise criticised.

Sorry, I thought you were having a go at me :o
    Some people are not happy unless something is offending them or they have an injustice cause to get behind. These people wouldn’t cope in their own idea of a perfect world.

Sorry, I thought you were having a go at me :o
    Some people are not happy unless something is offending them or they have an injustice cause to get behind. These people wouldn’t cope in their own idea of a perfect world.

And the bolded is the whole reason this thread exists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

And the bolded is the whole reason this thread exists!

Not at all. If someone is constantly being a d*ck in the public eye, people are going to discuss it. No different to Katie Hopkins or someone like that.

She will have her white knights though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement