Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

No one is asking Louise O'Neill to go to these places and fix the problem. Maybe just use her platfom to shed some light on the issue so she doesn't seem like a complete hypocrite. Maybe organise or show support for protests/marches against the treatment of women in these countries rather than march against the democratically elected president of a first world country in the west who received a sizeable portion of the female vote. Maybe, rather than push the myth of a "rape culture" in Ireland, highlight the actual rape cultures that exist in these countries and that are now being imported to western Europe via mass immigration.

Which is the typical nonsense thrown against feminists who try and solve problems in their own country. Whether you agree with her or not on whether these are issues, she clearly thinks they are. It makes perfect sense for her to focus on those issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No one is asking Louise O'Neill to go to these places and fix the problem. Maybe just use her platfom to shed some light on the issue so she doesn't seem like a complete hypocrite. Maybe organise or show support for protests/marches against the treatment of women in these countries rather than march against the democratically elected president of a first world country in the west who received a sizeable portion of the female vote. Maybe, rather than push the myth of a "rape culture" in Ireland, highlight the actual rape cultures that exist in these countries and that are now being imported to western Europe via mass immigration.
    Yeah because a president who encourages others "to grab them by the pussy" should be applauded. Because he is your type of a guy not like those 'dirty' Muslims. :rolleyes:

She has no excuse. She talks about rape culture. Well here's a genuine rape culture that our neighbours imported. All she has to do is tweet about it.

Of course she has an excuse. Her focus has always been on modern western male female interactions. There's zero onus on her to comment on things outside this. She can of course if she chooses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

LLMMLL wrote: »
    So it's not the supposed hypocrisy you have an issue with but that she's not doing enough to protect her reputation? Suuuuuure

she doesnt care about being a hypocrite .

she doesnt care about being a hypocrite .

I doubt that's true. She seemed concerned about the hot press journalist who reviewed her book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

meeeeh wrote: »
    So you want to preach others before we resolve our own issues.

We're in the process of, and for the most part, have solved our own issues regarding equality. The catholic church has no where near the influence it once did. Women can vote. They can work. We've legalised gay marriage. We're likely to repeal the 8th amendment to allow abortion. What Louise O'Neill and others often do is not try and solve our issues, but just look for issues where there are none. When you're redefining words like sexist, nice, and lady, or suggesting that a deceased grandfather secretly hated you because you're female or had sinister intentions for placing you on his lap as a child, or questioning whether male friends/family members who smile at you secretly hate you deep down then you're not solving any issues or doing anything remotely productive. If anything, this stuff is highly divisive and destructive in nature. The fact that she's paid for it and hardly ever really get's called out on it is unbelievable. As I said, she's not a feminist trying to solve our issues here. She's a fraud, profiting from issues where there are none.

As far as I'm aware there has been zero feminist support for the girls abused by the various rape gangs operating in England. No slutwalks, no protests. Sarah Champion rightly said there is a problem with Pakistanis preying on white girls and was fired by the Labour party!

Western feminists are cowards, more concerned with defending Islam and migration. It blows my mind.

Why would there be a slutwalk for those girls? Do you know what a slutwalk is?

Why wouldn't there be? Why wouldn't feminists protest against a genuine rape culture? 1500 victims in Rotherham alone.

A slutwalk is to protest the shaming of women for dressing in a manner seen as slutty, used as a defence in rape cases. Not sure what it has to do with the victims of UK gangs. Wow for a thread full of people complaining that Louise hasn't researched the actors in her favorite movie enough you might want to do a bit of research yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I had someone on FaceBook post a very select number of male actors getting paid more than their women co stars for certain films yesterday.
    This is the type of 'activism' that western feminism has become. That an Irish person can use what goes on in the dirty world of Hollywood to try make a point regarding how unfairly women are treated is actually fairly silly.
    They were also very select with the films that were picked out to skew the data in their favour. It really is grasping at straws.

It seems nothing but toxic to try divide men and women with feminism at this stage. There needs to be a push for human equality before anything else right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

So why are feminists so silent?

Because their ideology has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese at this stage. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Posting an example of when she praised someone when she clearly did not know about the allegations is actually supports what I'm saying.

And we have to know the background of actors in our favourite movies now? Because I've no clue about the actors in my favourite movies unless I happen to come across a story about them. Is she supposed to be googling Christian Slaters once a week since Heather's was released?

It's just another example in this ridiculous thread of people obsessing about her and overanalyzing every tiny thing she does.
    And yet here you are obsessing and over analysing.

givyjoe wrote: »
    And yet here you are obsessing and over analysing.

I'm discussing relevant things. I.e. what you are saying about o Neill. Not what ye guys have said about your parents in other threads. I'm not saying "oh why did you complain about o Neill but not about X". I'm not looking through your past threads looking for anything you've said that's completely unrelated to the topic to beat ye with. There's a clear difference.

Actually 'SlutWalk is a transnational movement of protest marches calling for an end to rape culture, including victim blaming and slut shaming of sexual assault victims'.

Now we have a situation where men from a particular ethnic group were (are) preying on thousands of girls for at least a decade. That's a rape culture right? And I'm pretty sure the rapists referred to their victims as sluts and whores and thrash who deserved it. Add to that the authorities who turned a blind eye to it for fear of being accused of racism.

Pretty disgraceful right? So why are feminists so silent?

It was nothing to do with what people's rapists called them. It was about societal attitudes to rape victims and what they wore. If i remember correctly it arose at least partially due to a police officer giving a safety talk that made reference to what women wore. As a result women went on marches dressed in what would be typically seen as "slutty". That would be wholly.inappropriate in the case of these gangs. It's a bit crazy that you think a slutwalk would be appropriate in this case to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I'm discussing relevant things. I.e. what you are saying about o Neill. Not what ye guys have said about your parents in other threads. I'm not saying "oh why did you complain about o Neill but not about X". I'm not looking through your past threads looking for anything you've said that's completely unrelated to the topic to beat ye with. There's a clear difference.
    Sorry, what am I saying about her?

You seem to have more issue with people having an understandable gripe with her outrageous views (e.g. all men are potential rapists) than you do with said outrageous views. I find that a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Love when the feminists get their knickers in a twist over this thread.

Funny thing is, they are helping to keep it alive with their vein attempts to shut it down. :p

givyjoe wrote: »
    Sorry, what am I saying about her?

You seem to have more issue with people having an understandable gripe with her outrageous views (e.g. all men are potential rapists) than you do with said outrageous views. I find that a bit odd.

No I have a problem with people criticising her for things that have nothing to do with her views. If you haven't done that (I'm not gonna check) then I've no issue with you. It's pretty simple

Funny thing is, they are helping to keep it alive with their vein attempts to shut it down. :p

It's a 120 page thread on one woman. It's not "feminists" keeping this thread alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

No but I am not dumb enough to think we can go to Muslim countries and tell them what to do. Try to save them like in Lybia or Iraq. That went well.

There was not a peep from Louise about what Dr Ali Selim said about FGM. Right here in Ireland. Not in the Middle East now. In Ireland.

And he a lecturer at her Alma Mater of Trinity College.

And if you think that the West went into Libya and Iraq to make them "safe for democracy" (tm) and save the people from the Tyrants that ran them....well...I have some nice beach front property to sell you.

In Arizona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Well, they'd just be joining in with the prevailing tone of the thread. Knicker-twisting is basically a prerequisite for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Do you know the backgrounds of all the main cast members of your favourite films? :confused: I can't say I do personally.

I'm all for criticism of LON and there's plenty of material but some of the stuff levelled at her is pretty tenuous.

For films I love and rewatch, albums by bands I love along with authors of course I take an interest in their lives, I love music so much I dig into the producers previous work, or how the songwriters life may have influenced lyrics on the album or how a authors hometown influenced his writing.

No different with movie directors and actors and the methods they bring and when you read up on someone's working career it's pretty much impossible to avoid seeing info on their personal lives be it good or bad.

Heathers is a movie with a huge cult following and for someone who's seen it over and over I find it nigh on impossible she wasn't aware of his criminal past.

• Advertisement

There was not a peep from Louise about what Dr Ali Selim said about FGM. Right here in Ireland. Not in the Middle East now. In Ireland.

LON would not dare rock the boat on Ali and Trinity.

i wouldnt normally. but she is making it her job to comment on such things . she should at least have a look at the history of somone when she claims one film is great but cant watch a different one becasue of the history of one actror.

Well said.

For films I love and rewatch, albums by bands I love along with authors of course I take an interest in their lives, I love music so much I dig into the producers previous work, or how the songwriters life may have influenced lyrics on the album or how a authors hometown influenced his writing.

No different with movie directors and actors and the methods they bring and when you read up on someone's working career it's pretty much impossible to avoid seeing info on their personal lives be it good or bad.

Heathers is a movie with a huge cult following and for someone who's seen it over and over I find it nigh on impossible she wasn't aware of his criminal past.

I don't think that's the norm to be honest. And I don't think you really find it nigh on impossible, especially given there's been a few people in this thread saying they don't follow the lives of actors from a favourite movie. Hardly screams impossibility.

I don't think that's the norm to be honest. And I don't think you really find it nigh on impossible, especially given there's been a few people in this thread saying they don't follow the lives of actors from a favourite movie. Hardly screams impossibility.

You missed where I said about how much of a cult movie Heathers is. Fans of those type of movies are pretty devoted and would all read up on the backgrounds of the actors and that's at the very least.

To watch a movie over & over as she admitted, or read a book over and over, listen to an album over & over it means it holds a special place in your life. To not read information and trivia about something you watch over and over screams impossibility.

You missed where I said about how much of a cult movie Heathers is. Fans of those type of movies are pretty devoted and would all read up on the backgrounds of the actors and that's at the very least.

To watch a movie over & over as she admitted, or read a book over and over, listen to an album over & over it means it holds a special place in your life. To not read information and trivia about something you watch over and over screams impossibility.

I've watched The Wizard Of Oz over twelve or fifteen times - or maybe more. I love that movie.

Only recently did I read a post (I think it was one of Dara's) where the abuse that Judy Garland suffered during the making of it was outlined. She was drugged and manipulated and treated worse than a rabid dog. I hadn't a clue.

Just because you like something doesn't mean you know everything about it and the people involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

On a related note, for Mother's Day I wonder did she give her Mam a voucher for Easons to pick up a copy of her book tomorrow.

Or was it just the regular black sack of full of washing.

And if you think that the West went into Libya and Iraq to make them "safe for democracy" (tm) and save the people from the Tyrants that ran them....well...I have some nice beach front property to sell you.

In Arizona.
    Oh dear. Would you really think you came up there with something worth explaining. NO I don't think that the intention and it doesn't matter what intention was. The fact is interference doesn't work.

As for FGM and Selim, even the Muslim organizations distanced and rebuffed his statements. There was no public support, Trinity had to provide another lecturer for a subject which is completely unrelated to fgm because Ali Selim teaches it. Maybe it didn't make your fb feed or whatever tabloid you are reading but it was condemned by virtually everyone. I for example didn't state anything about it because there were already so many outraged it would be completely redundant. In the same way as I usually don't comment on your friend in White House and his stupidity.

Just because you have your knickers in a twist over Muslims it doesn't mean everyone else is preoccupied with a religion that has so little significance or influence on most people in Ireland.

Some of us can watch a movie numerous times without parading around in Han Solo outfit and reading up on church of Jedai.

I don't know how many times I saw Casablanca, but I know nothing about personal lives of actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

mzungu wrote: »
    Mike Tyson was a grown man with agency. He was not some victim of unfortunate circumstances. Independent witnesses verified DW's story in court. The doctor that examined her said her physical condition was consistent with rape.

What exactly makes you think Tyson could have been wrongly convicted?
    heres an independently produced non biased documentary on the subject

http://www.thesweetscience.com/forums/showthread.php?16953-What-They-Didn-t-Tell-You-About-Mike-Tyson-s-Rape-Conviction-(VIDEO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Which is the typical nonsense thrown against feminists who try and solve problems in their own country. Whether you agree with her or not on whether these are issues, she clearly thinks they are. It makes perfect sense for her to focus on those issues.

Yes, perfect financial sense. She's well able to stick her nose into issues in other countries, like the US, when it suits her.
    Yeah because a president who encourages others "to grab them by the pussy" should be applauded. Because he is your type of a guy not like those 'dirty' Muslims. :rolleyes:

I never said he should be applauded and I never said muslims are dirty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement