Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

LLMMLL wrote: »
    No. Why would she?

It's just over the pond, so to speak-I mean, right next door. Actual rape and grooming, but I guess she won't comment because they're not 'cisgendered white men'.

Saw this-couldn't help but think of the fear mongering LON puts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Ould Rosemary is off pandering for a a few of those all important Twitter loves and re-shares

I do this SO OFTEN. When the #latelate is on I search the hashtag for people being nasty assholes and block furiously. It’s very cathartic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

No I have a problem with people criticising her for things that have nothing to do with her views. If you haven't done that (I'm not gonna check) then I've no issue with you. It's pretty simple

Well it really wasn't simple from the wording of your post, hence the question. Pretty clear why I was asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ould Rosemary is off pandering for a a few of those all important Twitter loves and re-shares

I do this SO OFTEN. When the #latelate is on I search the hashtag for people being nasty assholes and block furiously. It’s very cathartic.

So she goes looking to be made angry?
    Ok so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wonder does Louise ever go on the lash in Clon, go for a paddle in Lough Hyne or do anything else that might resemble craic or is it just non-stop giving out about men every spare minute she gets?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Lon retweeted this. I hope this wan is never let on a jury.

https://twitter.com/Lana_Richardson/status/971422074563710978

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nope, doesn't fit her agenda.

LON is more offended by Irish men whistling and cat calling girls -then actual rape and murder commited by men that happen to have a slightly different skin pigmentation.

disgusting person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No. Why would she?

Because its an important feminist issue and she's a feminist so presumably it would be an important matter to her than much less pressing feminist issues she bangs on about constantly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh dear. Would you really think you came up there with something worth explaining. NO I don't think that the intention and it doesn't matter what intention was. The fact is interference doesn't work.

As for FGM and Selim, even the Muslim organizations distanced and rebuffed his statements. There was no public support, Trinity had to provide another lecturer for a subject which is completely unrelated to fgm because Ali Selim teaches it. Maybe it didn't make your fb feed or whatever tabloid you are reading but it was condemned by virtually everyone. I for example didn't state anything about it because there were already so many outraged it would be completely redundant. In the same way as I usually don't comment on your friend in White House and his stupidity.

Just because you have your knickers in a twist over Muslims it doesn't mean everyone else is preoccupied with a religion that has so little significance or influence on most people in Ireland.

FGM is not isolated to Islam so I have no idea why you think I have a problem with Muslims. I have a problem with FGM being practiced on little girls because it is barbaric. I also happen to think that the practice of circumcision on little boys is barbaric as well.

Yes, Ali Selim was roundly condemned. But not by one of the most vocal and visible feminists of the day. Which was my point. Louise O'Neill will spew bile at white men and the patriarchy in Ireland. Will tweet and retweet her outrage about the Ulster Rugby trial and George Hook. She'll compare Ireland to Gilead. But when it comes to an issue on her doorstep like FGM....

The rest of your post is just an Ad-Hominem attack full of baseless assumptions.

But that is not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

FGM is not isolated to Islam so I have no idea why you think I have a problem with Muslims. I have a problem with FGM being practiced on little girls because it is barbaric. I also happen to think that the practice of circumcision on little boys is barbaric as well.

Yes, Ali Selim was roundly condemned. But not by one of the most vocal and visible feminists of the day. Which was my point. Louise O'Neill will spew bile at white men and the patriarchy in Ireland. Will tweet and retweet her outrage about the Ulster Rugby trial and George Hook. She'll compare Ireland to Gilead. But when it comes to an issue on her doorstep like FGM....

The rest of your post is just an Ad-Hominem attack full of baseless assumptions.

But that is not surprising.

Selim isn't white enough. The last thing she needs is to deviate away from the narrative she's tethered to which is "white male rabble rabble, patriarchy rabble rabble"

It's not exclusive to her, it seems that the majority of the Irish bloggers are ignoring this type of issue, very strange considering their pro woman grandstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I never said he should be applauded and I never said muslims are dirty.
    Why are you complaining then that there are protests against him? Should women stay quiet about a president who encourages a bit of sexual violence. They should protest against stuff in other countries but they should be quiet about stuff that is going on in their own country because Trump was elected? What exactly are you saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Selim isn't white enough. The last thing she needs is to deviate away from the narrative she's tethered to which is "white male rabble rabble, patriarchy rabble rabble"

It's not exclusive to her, it seems that the majority of the Irish bloggers are ignoring this type of issue, very strange considering their pro woman grandstanding.
    Should we also state now that we are against slavery? Or arranged marriages. There are some issues that are so culturally unacceptable that it is completely redundant to say anything. The exception would be male circumcision which is still relatively acceptable practice but for the other stuff is inferred that people are against it and it is also illegal. How much grandstanding can you do about stuff that is illegal anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Should women stay quiet about a president who encourages a bit of sexual violence.

He didn't encourage sexual violence ffs. He said that there are some women who 'LET' famous men do anything to them, and there are, groupies and the like. Are men not supposed to make fun of these women? Are they some sort of scared cow or something?

That whole episode was blown out of all proportion.... and continues to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He didn't encourage sexual violence ffs. He said that there are some women who 'LET' famous men do anything to them, and there are, groupies and the like. Are men not supposed to make fun of these women? Are they some sort of scared cow or something?

His definition of "let" is "they dont actively try to stop me". A definition i'm sure you share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

When did he say that? Do you have a link. Or are you making it up?

I'm continually amazed by peoples willingness to be misled with what Trump said.

He was being crude and absurd - but thats it ABSURD !!! Absurd things is what makes them "funny" - not to everyones taste but still HUMOUR and NOT TRUE.

I live in a city where the police force is a bit of a joke, sometimes I say to people... "here in XXX you could just go out and shoot someone dead on the street, you'd get away with it"

Apply the same logic and Hector condones murder ... Hector boasts about murder ....

People want to believe it, just to give them more ammo against this orange clown (but still better then Hillary)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because its an important feminist issue and she's a feminist so presumably it would be an important matter to her than much less pressing feminist issues she bangs on about constantly

Her novels are about date rape and abuse within a relationship. Her tweets focus on interactions between men and women in developed nations. I might get your point if her books and tweets were about paedophilia and prostitution and sex rings but they're not. She's being orderly consistent. The opposite of hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Why are you complaining then that there are protests against him? Should women stay quiet about a president who encourages a bit of sexual violence. They should protest against stuff in other countries but they should be quiet about stuff that is going on in their own country because Trump was elected? What exactly are you saying?

There were womens marches at various locations around the world, including Dublin, in response to his election (where, as I said, a lot of women actually voted for him) and his remarks about grabbing women. These were encouraged and supported by people like Louise O'Neill, who has had plenty to say on issues in other countries when it suits her.

Personally, I thought the international marches were unbelievably over the top considering the horrific abuses that women suffer in other parts of the world but of course western feminists like O'Neill will happily turn a blind eye to that. Was there any march encouraged or tweet/article of support from western feminists for the Iranian women's protests recently?

Furthermore, as I pointed out already, Louise O'Neill isn't just discussing (making up) issues here. She's had plenty to say on women's issues in the US, but very little to say on women's issues in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan. Seems very selective for someone who describes herself as a feminist in my opinion.
    Should we also state now that we are against slavery? Or arranged marriages. There are some issues that are so culturally unacceptable that it is completely redundant to say anything. The exception would be male circumcision which is still relatively acceptable practice but for the other stuff is inferred that people are against it and it is also illegal. How much grandstanding can you do about stuff that is illegal anyway?

Exactly. Yet O'Neill is well able to harp on about us living in a rape culture here in Ireland when in reality, we don't.

• Advertisement

And to suggest there is a "rape culture" in Ireland is so insulting to actual rape victims.
    And she's on Ray Darcy today to spout more of her bile ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

And to suggest there is a "rape culture" in Ireland is so insulting to actual rape victims.
    And she's on Ray Darcy today to spout more of her bile ..

"Rape culture" is a meaningless, sensationalist leftist term. To seriously suggest that the ideas, customs, and social behavior of our society in Ireland has a "rape culture" is complete and utter nonsense.

I think it would be more fair to say we have a "cake culture". Every time I am in town, I see cakes on the windows of cafes and other bakeries. I see cake magazines in our newsagents. I smell cakes being made whenever I visit my grandmother. I see cakes on the dessert menus of restaurants. I hear people talk about and take photos of tasty cakes on social media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I watched the LLS on Friday night and it's genuinely the first time ever I've seen this girl.

I was expecting an absolute lunatic the way people are going on here and someone who would be dangerous to young girls.

I saw nothing but a very boring self obsessed woman, harmless because no-one with an ounce of intelligence would be listening to that.

I asked my daughter what she thought too and she just said "no idea what she's ****eing on about".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

He didn't encourage sexual violence ffs. He said that there are some women who 'LET' famous men do anything to them, and there are, groupies and the like.

Well, he appeared to be categorising Arianne Zucker, who he was about to meet, as one of those women.

The full quote, in which he starts talking about her is:

"I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful—I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything."

It's quite presumptuous. What did he know about this woman?

pilly wrote: »
    I watched the LLS on Friday night and it's genuinely the first time ever I've seen this girl.

I was expecting an absolute lunatic the way people are going on here and someone who would be dangerous to young girls.

I saw nothing but a very boring self obsessed woman, harmless because no-one with an ounce of intelligence would be listening to that.

I asked my daughter what she thought too and she just said "no idea what she's ****eing on about".

Ok, well perhaps have a look at her documentary 'Asking for it' (think that was the name) and see if still think she isn't 'dangerous' to young girls or boys.

Are you seriously telling me you have haven't seen any of the outrageous sh1t she's said, which has been quoted numerous times on this thread (and again recently)?

Others who are more informed on her 'lunatic' ramblings can give more examples, but statements such as 'all men are potential rapists' aren't exactly harmless, whatever about being dangerous.

If you want further examples of her craziness, have a look at her appearance on the Tommy Tiernan show, specifically her comments/views on consent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

givyjoe wrote: »
    Others who are more informed on her 'lunatic' ramblings can give more examples, but statements such as 'all men are potential rapists' aren't exactly harmless, whatever about being dangerous.

She also made the point in one of her articles that woman cannot be sexist towards men, because the institutions of the world are in men's favour.

Ok, well perhaps have a look at her documentary 'Asking for it' (think that was the name) and see if still think she isn't 'dangerous' to young girls or boys.

Are you seriously telling me you have haven't seen any of the outrageous sh1t she's said, which has been quoted numerous times on this thread (and again recently)?

If you want further examples of her craziness, have a look at her appearance on the Tommy Tiernan show, specifically her comments/views on consent.

As I've already said, she bored me senseless, I certainly wouldn't be sitting through a documentary just so I could find out how crazy she is.

pilly wrote: »
    As I've already said, she bored me senseless, I certainly wouldn't be sitting through a documentary just so I could find out how crazy she is.
    Right, so you think she probably is crazy but aren't arsed finding out. Fair enough.

You could literally just read the quotes of her views in the last couple of posts :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Right, so you think she probably is crazy but aren't arsed finding out. Fair enough.

You could literally just read the quotes of her views in the last couple of posts :confused:

The one thing I don't like is the woman a lot of the Irish media presents her views as the only option.

• Advertisement

I've read most of the posts in this thread.

What I'm disagreeing with is people saying that she's dangerous and will corrupt young girls. It's just not true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement