Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, he appeared to be categorising Arianne Zucker, who he was about to meet, as one of those women.

It's quite presumptuous. What did he know about this woman?

Imagine, for a moment, that it was some unlikable obnoxious female (Chelsea Handler perhaps) and she was caught joking around off camera with some other women, talking about how there guys who are all over you when you're a famous chick, and said something like: "You can do anything with these guys, grab their chest, pinch their butts..." (laughter from the other women) "..grab them by the dick" (more laughter). Do you honestly believe anyone would give a crap? Let alone suggest yjay she was encouraging other women to sexually assault men? Not a hope would they. It's something which has been blown out of all proportion. I mean, Christ, it's not like there aren't a million other things Trump has said that justify some disdain and incredulity, but that sure as hell ain't one of them.
    She reminds me of a columnist for Teen Vogue, Emily Lindin, who said that if Innocent Men went to jail based on a false rape accusation, then that was a price she was willing to pay.

LON has said similar. In fact, the NWCI retweeted her:

https://twitter.com/NWCI/status/843058871140794369

But then the NWCI regularly post sexist tripe that wouldn't be tolerated if a similar sentiment was directed the other way (nor should it).

https://twitter.com/NWCI/status/823154490362761217

https://twitter.com/NWCI/status/380659617170067457

This crowd are largely government funded too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

To regain some perspective, the vast majority of the women I deal with on a daily basis are a pleasure to interact with. Thankfully the aggressive bitchy third wave feminist types are a small but very loud and irritating minority. "intimidated by a strong woman?" nope just don't like nasty people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Imagine, for a moment, that it was some unlikable obnoxious female (Chelsea Handler perhaps) and she was caught joking around off camera with some other women, talking about how there guys who are all over you when you're a famous chick, and said something like: "You can do anything with these guys, grab their chest, pinch their butts..." (laughter from the other women) "..grab them by the dick" (more laughter). Do you honestly believe anyone would give a crap? Let alone suggest yjay she was encouraging other women to sexually assault men? Not a hope would they. It's something which has been blown out of all proportion. I mean, Christ, it's not like there aren't a million other things Trump has said that justify some disdain and incredulity, but that sure as hell ain't one of them.

I have no idea what would happen in your imagined scenario. I do know that many people don't like Chelsea Handler and that she would face criticisms for some quarters over it if it came out.

What I DO know is that Trump articulated to the other men present that the woman he was about to introduced to was of low morals, based on... what exactly?

YOU think it was blown out of all proportion. I disagree, as do many others. And actually, far from being the least of the questionable things he has down, I think it is up there with the worst. I don't think he was saying he assaulted all those women. HOWEVER, he was joking that the woman he was about to meet would be a slavering bimbo. It doesn't matter that she was unaware that that happened at the time. She's aware now and if I was in her position, I'd be angry that my character was dragged through the mud like that.

He deserved all the derision he received over that. It ably demonstrated his complete lack of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

JRant wrote: »
    The delicious irony of a pro abortion group sending out Mothers day cards is simply lost on you so.

I don't know what sort would think that would be a good idea but it says a lot about them IMO. Mother's day is just that, you get to spoil the person who brought you into the world. Leave the sanctimonious bullcrap for another time. Not everything has to be hijacked for the 'cause de jour'.

I can't see how other posters didn't get it!

He's the ultimate "woke bae"...

And lets not forget the time she released the following words into the public domain while remembering her 2pac woke bae comments.
    My fears around Casey Affleck’s win (and, to a larger extent, Donald Trump’s election) are twofold.

I’m worried that it will cause distress to victims of sexual harassment, abuse, or rape; further discouraging them from reporting, due to a sense of futility.

Seeing sexual predators deified in the public eye in this way can only contribute to a victim’s feeling of powerlessness, one which all too often can already seem overwhelming.

I am also deeply concerned about the message that this is sending to our young men. By celebrating Affleck are we inadvertently confirming the idea that a woman’s body is there for male consumption, to be used for his own pleasure and entertainment?

Are young men internalising the belief that if they do sexually harass or assault someone, that not only is it unlikely they will see any consequences, they might in fact be fêted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've never read such a load of nonsense and hysteria in my life.

Why don't all the LON bashers take a break from whipping themselves into a frenzy every time she tweets something and go and so something positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Why don't all the LON bashers take a break from whipping themselves into a frenzy every time she tweets something and go and so something positive?

Like the hysteria by the sjws did over Hook and others

Calling out someone who praised and gushed over a man convicted of sexual assault while at the same time they produce this work in an article in a national newspaper is nonsense and hysteria???
    I’m worried that it will cause distress to victims of sexual harassment, abuse, or rape; further discouraging them from reporting, due to a sense of futility.

Seeing sexual predators deified in the public eye in this way can only contribute to a victim’s feeling of powerlessness, one which all too often can already seem overwhelming.

I am also deeply concerned about the message that this is sending to our young men. By celebrating Affleck are we inadvertently confirming the idea that a woman’s body is there for male consumption, to be used for his own pleasure and entertainment?

Are young men internalising the belief that if they do sexually harass or assault someone, that not only is it unlikely they will see any consequences, they might in fact be fêted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

LON has said similar. In fact, the NWCI retweeted her:

https://twitter.com/NWCI/status/843058871140794369

But then the NWCI regularly post sexist tripe that wouldn't be tolerated if a similar sentiment was directed the other way (nor should it).

https://twitter.com/NWCI/status/823154490362761217

https://twitter.com/NWCI/status/380659617170067457

This crowd are largely government funded too.

we'll have to stop all sexual and relationship education for boys in school so

the womens council of Ireland have spoken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Calling out someone who praised and gushed over a man convicted of sexual assault while at the same time they produce this work in an article in a national newspaper is nonsense and hysteria???

Yes, it is.

The world is not a homogenous group.

People are going to have different opinions, outlooks and morals than you do.

Accept it. Deal with it. Move on.

The hysteria generated over her every utterance is disproportionate in the extreme.

And people trying to justify it with 'won't somebody think of the children' wailings.

Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Wouldn't that make discussion boards like this a very sterile and quiet place?
    The hysteria...
    Hyperbole is great isn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Yes, it is.

The hysteria generated over her every utterance is disproportionate in the extreme.

And people trying to justify it with 'won't somebody think of the children' wailings.

Please.

I don't think anyone here has an issue with her having her own opinions and expressing them. What people have an issue with is the way she is treated with kid gloves in interviews and held up as a role model to young women, and how by extension her warped view of men is further damaging young people psychologically, and tainting any interactions between young men and women.

When she came on the Tommy Tiernan show he pretended not to know who she was but you can see the fear in his interview - a huge contrast to any of his other interviews.

Ironically it may make it easier for rapists too - as young women think all men want to rape them. It's poisonous to society.

And celebrating a gangster and rapist like 2pac? What is that saying, its only 'toxic masculinity" if you're white?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Yes, it is.

Please.
    Hysteria..?! What hysteria?!

Also you could do with taking your own (bolded) advice. Irony overload. :rolleyes:

More irony i missed the first time round, we (the homogeneous group of men) are all potential rapists. Absolute hysteria calling such bullsh1t out.

Let me summarise your points of view for you.. women complain about sexism = good for them/go girl, men complain about sexism=oh pipe down, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Yes, it is.

Please.

Says the person that actively seeked out a thread on a discussion board. Why don’t you take your own advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

My problem isn't with her but with Tubridy and his ilk. Instead of calling her out on different things he gave her an easy time and finished the interview with KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING Shiote.

Well he needs to really work for it ... he's probably only allowed flaccid penetration, since normal sex is technically rape according to these loonies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Well he needs to really work for it ... he's probably only allowed flaccid penetration, since normal sex is technically rape according to these loonies.

Please show me any link where someone says normal sex is technically rape??? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

pilly wrote: »
    Please show me any link where someone says normal sex is technically rape??? :rolleyes:

These days, you literally can't even think about a woman without the guards turning up at your door and arresting you.

https://twitter.com/Lana_Richardson/status/972851355743412224

https://twitter.com/Lana_Richardson/status/972852389018513408

https://twitter.com/Lana_Richardson/status/973185773238411264

Fúcking hell, she's even worse than LON. She seems to have serious issues. Genuinely makes me a little sad that people can tweet stuff like this free of consequence.

Christ she has a boyfriend ... the poor poor bastard

https://twitter.com/Lana_Richardson/status/968174877449519106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Shes just a person on the interweb. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Whatever about Louise O'Neill, I don't think it's very fair to single out random people on Twitter whose only 'crime' is that they were retweeted by her. Actually, it's really unpleasant.

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here has an issue with her having her own opinions and expressing them. What people have an issue with is the way she is treated with kid gloves in interviews and held up as a role model to young women, and how by extension her warped view of men is further damaging young people psychologically, and tainting any interactions between young men and women.

When she came on the Tommy Tiernan show he pretended not to know who she was but you can see the fear in his interview - a huge contrast to any of his other interviews.

Ironically it may make it easier for rapists too - as young women think all men want to rape them. It's poisonous to society.

And celebrating a gangster and rapist like 2pac? What is that saying, its only 'toxic masculinity" if you're white?

Thats it, massive fear in anyone interviewing her, because she can just scream sexist misogynist afterwards and the guys career is over.

We need a strong woman to ask her these questions.

A real classical feminist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

She's on PK on Newstalk in 15 minutes for those who want to give Denis O'Brien some angry text money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Sky King wrote: »
    She's on PK on Newstalk in 15 minutes for those who want to give Denis O'Brien some angry text money.

Bet it’s another bit she gets unchallenged— hook would’ve been fun for the car crash element of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Bet it’s another bit she gets unchallenged— hook would’ve been fun for the car crash element of it

She would have refused to have been interviewed by Hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://twitter.com/Lana_Richardson/status/968174877449519106

Woman has boyfriend shocker. You should consider writing for The Sun.

Hurt people hurt people..

Insightful..profound..

Who gave this one a book deal?..

Why did I listen to this?

*Groan*

She's just an adult adolescent..

*Starts repeatedly banging head against wall*

This one is feckin' deluded..

And pushing some dangerous sh1te..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Who was interviewing her?