Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

No, it's not fair game. As a result of her tweet being posted on this thread, she had to put up with abuse from some random stranger, who then had the audacity to lie about her reason for blocking him.

The poor thing. If she can put out tweets like that then she better be able to handle a backlash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The girl in question is mentally unhinged. Read her tweets - it's all there in black and white. Fair play to that poster for not pulling his punches.
    could be, but why act shocked if you get blocked for saying something rude like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

LLMMLL wrote: »
    That makes no sense
    in his head maybe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No, it's not fair game. As a result of her tweet being posted on this thread, she had to put up with abuse from some random stranger, who then had the audacity to lie about her reason for blocking him.

This woman has stated that she wouldn't feel any sympathy for the 4 accused even if they're innocent, because apparently they're "privileged". She's also stated that the fact that some men have disagreed with her tweet has in fact made her angry at "all men". She's angry at all men, even those who have zero knowledge of the case or her twitter account, because some people on the internet disagreed with her sexist views. This is a seriously twisted way of thinking.

Whilst I wouldn't sent her abuse for it, nor do I agree with the people who are doing it, I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

twit her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

in his head maybe

Did you assume my gender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The poor thing. If she can put out tweets like that then she better be able to handle a backlash.

Ok, here's something else he tweeted at her (in response to a photo that included her boyfriend)...

445454.png

Is that an acceptable 'backlash' for someone whose only 'crime' is that she expressed an opinion that some misogynistic idiot didn't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Ok, here's something else he tweeted at her (in response to a photo that included her boyfriend)...

445454.png

Is that an acceptable 'backlash' for someone whose only 'crime' is that she expressed an opinion that some misogynistic idiot didn't like?

How dare she block his intelligent debating skills.....

LLMMLL wrote: »
    How dare she block his intelligent debating skills.....

And no doubt that tweeter and his fellow misogynists will accuse her of carving out some kind of 'echo chamber'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Misogyny is the most misused word on the net these days. Feminists (of a certain kind) use it to dismiss any man (and only men) who disagree with or call out their hypocrisy, double standards and down right misandry.

• Advertisement

And no doubt that tweeter and his fellow misogynists will accuse her of carving out some kind of 'echo chamber'.

Every male is a misogynist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Are you referencing folks on this thread? Care to elaborate on who you mean?

Perhaps I missed the misogynist part of his tweet, but calling someone 'unhinged' is misogynist is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I never said anything about him promoting sexual violence.

Here we go again. You clearly suggest something and then when you're called out on it by a user, you squirm away from it and pretend you did no such thing.

You say you never said Trump promoted sexual violence, but you said you agreed with a user who did, which is the same bloody thing and here's how you did that. In response to the user making the claim that Trump was encouraging sexual violence, I said:
    That whole episode was blown out of all proportion.... and continues to be.

You jumped in and said:
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    YOU think it was blown out of all proportion. I disagree, as do many others.

He deserved all the derision he received over that.

That's endorsing what the user said, clearly, and so quit now trying to pretend you didn't.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Are you referencing folks on this thread? Care to elaborate on who you mean?

Perhaps I missed the misogynist part of his tweet, but calling someone 'unhinged' is misogynist is it?

I'm referencing some guy on Twitter. I've blanked his name out because it's not fair to share his real name on here. I'd say trawling through her tweets so you can express pity with her "poor sod" boyfriend is definitely misogynistic. Don't worry though - I've been on AH long enough to know that, for some people, nothing is ever misogyny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The girl in question is mentally unhinged. Read her tweets - it's all there in black and white. Fair play to that poster for not pulling his punches.

Oh for the days of intelligent debate. now the first response seems to be personal abuse.

Oh for the days of intelligent debate. now the first response seems to be personal abuse.

Ah yes, Intelligent debate with someone who tweets absolute lunacy like that, good luck with that one.

Ah yes, Intelligent debate with someone who tweets absolute lunacy like that, good luck with that one.

responding with personal abuse only makes the responder look like an idiot. why would you do that to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I'm referencing some guy on Twitter. I've blanked his name out because it's not fair to share his real name on here. I'd say trawling through her tweets so you can express pity with her "poor sod" boyfriend is definitely misogynistic. Don't worry though - I've been on AH long enough to know that, for some people, nothing is ever misogyny.

I seriously think you could do with checking a dictionary. In your rather loose opinion, you think that's misogyny, when in reality the reference someone being a poor sod isn't because of his or her gender, it's because of the persons barmy views.

Again, more irony. Nothing is ever misogyny to some, just as EVERYTHING is misogyny to others.

At this point it seems certain posters who don't like the fact a thread exists on LON and her crazy views, are simply seeking to derail it.

responding with personal abuse only makes the responder look like an idiot. why would you do that to yourself?

Do you want me to answer for the poster? Alright. Maybe he was riled up reading those tweets? What he said was correct anyway so it makes no odds. Anyone who tweets that sexist tripe is mentally unhinged, so fair play to him for saying it like it is. He got blocked, he'll move on from this ordeal I'm sure and so will she.

I seriously think you could do with checking a dictionary. In your rather loose opinion, you think that's misogyny, when in reality the reference someone being a poor sod isn't because of his or her gender, it's because of the persons barmy views.

Again, more irony. Nothing is ever misogyny to some, just as EVERYTHING is misogyny to others.

At this point it seems certain posters who don't like the fact a thread exists on LON and her crazy views, are simply seeking to derail it.

The new meaning of misogyny is whether or not you agree with LON views.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    The new meaning of misogyny is whether or not you agree with LON views.

Yes, if you disagree with LON or think her views are twisted you literally hate ALL women and should be silenced.

I think it was derailed by whoever thought it was a good idea to drag the tweets of some randomer into it. Go after them, not me. It sounds like you'd prefer if the thread was just an echo chamber for people who perceive Louise O'Neill's opinions as misandry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

It's not really about her views though. It's about is she going out with Tubridy? What did she say about her parents? Would you date her? Does she block people on twitter? Does she know the background of every cast member of movies she likes?

Do you want me to answer for the poster? Alright. Maybe he was riled up reading those tweets? What he said was correct anyway so it makes no odds. Anyone who tweets that sexist tripe is mentally unhinged, so fair play to him for saying it like it is. He got blocked, he'll move on from this ordeal I'm sure and so will she.

i'm sure they will move on and find somebody else to troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think it was derailed by whoever thought it was a good idea to drag the tweets of some randomer into it. Go after them, not me. It sounds like you'd prefer if the thread was just an echo chamber for people who perceive Louise O'Neill's opinions as misandry.

C'mon Hapaz, echo chambers only happen with liberal, misandric feminists, they could never happen here…

i'm sure they will move on and find somebody else to troll.

Or maybe, just maybe she's the one trolling half the population.

C'mon Hapaz, echo chambers only happen with liberal, misandric feminists, they could never happen here…

Interesting. Would love it if she was making up her stuff.

Also, only half the population?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

pilly wrote: »
    Please show me any link where someone says normal sex is technically rape??? :rolleyes:

It's a fairly common belief among a fairly uncommon group of feminists, ie rad-fems. Here's a quora article on it: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-radical-feminists-consider-PIV-to-be-rape-and-a-tool-for-the-subjugation-of-women-What-are-verifiable-reasons-supporting-the-arguments-in-pieces-such-as-%E2%80%9CWhy-Do-We-Keep-Having-PIV%E2%80%9D-What-sound-arguments-are-there

• Advertisement

Maybe she is. But the people who only post personal abuse are definitely trolls. Oddly you seem to keep defending them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement