Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Jaysus, she does have a bit of a sense of humour after all.

I'm glad somebody else read that as the joke it obviously was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

pilly wrote: »
    I'm glad somebody else read that as the joke it obviously was.

I was going to laugh at it until I remembered how much she hates men…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was going to laugh at it until I remembered how much she hates men…

Maybe all her Tweets are jokes and she actually loves men and hates women!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

She's a troll, LON was the other rubberbandit all along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Either way, that girl is suffering from some kind of mental illness. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

a delusion. or shes aware of her error in thinking but wants to capitalise on the response she gains from it

everyone suffers from a delusion in one form or another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,748 ✭✭✭✭Water John

LON is a hetrosexual female and thus is sexually attracted to men. Another part of her brain is saying, all men are potential rapists. This is the dichotomy, she is having difficulty in resolving.
    Many of her cheerleaders are supporting her, on the second contention, when she really needs to be disavowed of the notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I think its all calculated, she's way more shrewd than she lets on.
    There are a huge number of Irish authors writing at the moment and if you want to find an audience it helps to have a hook, she's got one and she's building a very loyal fanbase because of it.
    I think its all marketing, and the more that people point out how daft her views are the more her fans will circle the wagons and defend her and her work.

I think its all calculated, she's way more shrewd than she lets on.
    There are a huge number of Irish authors writing at the moment and if you want to find an audience it helps to have a hook, she's got one and she's building a very loyal fanbase because of it.
    I think its all marketing, and the more that people point out how daft her views are the more her fans will circle the wagons and defend her and her work.

It really looks like that alright..but Jesus, it's just so cynical..Machiavellian almost..

You'd despair for humanity at times..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It really looks like that alright..but Jesus, it's just so cynical..Machiavellian almost..

You'd despair for humanity at times..

Its a compete schtik on her behalf, has to be. A commercial mask that she must wear to discern herself from the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Mentally ill... a troll... deluded... Machiavellian...

It's amazing, the difficulty some of you seem to have in accepting that someone might have sincerely-held opinions that just happen to differ from your own.

"How could anyone's worldview differ from mine? They must be mad! Mad, I tell thee!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It's amazing, the difficulty some of you seem to have in accepting that someone might have sincerely-held opinions that just happen to differ from your own.

"How could anyone's worldview differ from mine? They must be mad! Mad, I tell thee!"
    'The hardest place to maintain my feminism is in a relationship with a straight man'.

Totally sane headline. Sorry Louise but you have issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I really wonder if the average woman realises the damage the likes of her is doing to the attitudes of decent men towards women - the kind of men that actually think about things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pjohnson wrote: »
    'The hardest place to maintain my feminism is in a relationship with a straight man'.

feminism seems to attract women with personality disorders and mental issues, they arent exactly the brain trust

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Generation Snowflake's greatest crime is to hold a view which veers from the groupthink norm.

Punishable by twitter-mob outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Don’t be insulting people that actually have mental issues. Louise is just a bit dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

It's amazing, the difficulty some of you seem to have in accepting that someone might have sincerely-held opinions that just happen to differ from your own

This is relevant to almost any thread on immigration, lgbt, abortion, Islam etc.
    If only it was as simple as saying that eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

People are expressing their opinions. The horror!! Shut them down! Nazis!!! Worse than Hitler!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

professore wrote: »
    I really wonder if the average woman realises the damage the likes of her is doing to the attitudes of decent men towards women - the kind of men that actually think about things.

Well, if they truly are thinkers, they should quickly conclude that LON is not representative of the majority of women.

If they conclude that she is the norm, well, eh, I wouldn't rate their analytical skills too highly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, if they truly are thinkers, they should quickly conclude that LON is not representative of the majority of women.

If they conclude that she is the norm, well, eh, I wouldn't rate their analytical skills too highly.

Yep, most women I deal with in real life actually have a real fondness for men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Most people don't have a problem with someone disagreeing and debating a subject with them. It's great to thrash out a topic and see all sides of it.
    Where the problem is when someone pulls crap out of nowhere and states it as fact. They can't back it up so refuse to talk about it and just block debate.

I would consider myself to be very open to debate and open to changing my opinion if someone can make a good point.
    I have great respect for the original feminists. The ones that fought for the right to vote and have a job etc.
    These modern feminists are destroying their legacy.
    All this men hating stuff is pissing off the very people they need on their side, the level headed person that wants equal rights for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

pjohnson wrote: »

I wonder did my granddad hate me..... if he had access to the internet you wouldn't have to wonder very long dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Most people don't have a problem with someone disagreeing and debating a subject with them. It's great to thrash out a topic and see all sides of it.
    Where the problem is when someone pulls crap out of nowhere and states it as fact. They can't back it up so refuse to talk about it and just block debate.

You've pretty much summed up this thread. Pulling crap out of nowhere such as "she's mentally ill".

LLMMLL wrote: »
    You've pretty much summed up this thread. Pulling crap out of nowhere such as "she's mentally ill".

And similarly:
    silverharp wrote: »
    feminism seems to attract women with personality disorders and mental issues, they arent exactly the brain trust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Louise who? was the reply I got when I showed my wife this thread.
    I'd say the average woman doesn't give a fcuk about her.

LLMMLL wrote: »

Damn it . Scuppered by my own logic.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Louise who? was the reply I got when I showed my wife this thread.
    I'd say the average woman doesn't give a fcuk about her.
    Who is buying her books and reading her article s. She is influencing some people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Some of you are totally missing the point. It is not about a different opinion. Its the fact that she has a major platform in Irish media. A platform which continues to allow her sexism, double standards, hypocrisy, misandry and delusions.

Her grasp (or lack of) of the English language and how sentences and paragraphs are correctly formed should be enough for that platform to be removed. Some of her articles consists of one line per paragraph. That alone is indefensible in mainstream media.

Again, to those that are defending her existence, would you tolerate male writers spewing poorly written articles that are ridiculing, belittling, sexist and misogynistic? Any man that comes close to that these days tends to lose his job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement