Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I'm afraid I work with someone who described Asking for It as a cautionary tale men should read and weep

The acolytes are out there. Which is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Grayson wrote: »
    I think my use of irony was lost on you.

If you’re taking what I am posting literally then I’m doing the same for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

I'm afraid I work with someone who described Asking for It as a cautionary tale men should read and weep

The acolytes are out there. Which is terrifying.
    A female friend of mine and my sisters actually read it, both said it was a good read but when each one read her articles in examiner and couldn't believe how childish/misandrist she comes off.....seems like the Times/Journal/Examiner seem to allow this misandrist stuff to seep into the media and id say (and hope that) majority of women percieve her/others as full of crap

The problem is that her and her kind of crap are not non entities . There vile ideas are dealing into society and into our media. As a result these vile ideas are being beloved by gullible and impressionable people who believe this crap.

They are non-entities.

Would you share the opinions of white extremists? Of anyone preaching hate? Probably not, but people share this nonsense. There's practically no difference between what she preaches and what someone on Stormfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

They are non-entities.

Would you share the opinions of white extremists? Of anyone preaching hate? Probably not, but people share this nonsense. There's practically no difference between what she preaches and what someone on Stormfront.

Stormfront don't have a column in the Irish Examiner and you would be banned in a millisecond on boards promoting white extremism.

There is a huge difference.

• Advertisement

Stormfront don't have a column in the Irish Examiner and you would be banned in a millisecond on boards promoting white extremism.

There is a huge difference.

Only because Stormfront isn't in popular culture right now. This sort of stuff is. That's the only reason. And it gets clicks into the Irish Examiner.

For all the people here on boards saying just ignore her. Why don't you just ignore this thread and take your own advice.

Me personally, I like to see her called out on the crap she spouts.

Only because Stormfront isn't in popular culture right now. This sort of stuff is. That's the only reason. And it gets clicks into the Irish Examiner.

So there is a difference?

So there is a difference?

I really don't think there is. Both are preaching hate. One for gender. The other for race. LON says how men should be killed. White extremists are saying people of different races should.

There's no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I feel sorry for her. My daughter at 20 has already grown out of the 4 hour afternoon naps/hiding under the duvet/can’t face the world today/hope mammy comes home soon to make me my tea lifestyle that she still occupies nearly 10 years later.
    I don’t think she actually believes the crap she writes herself but she’s finding it’s good for book sales.
    There’s a whole bunch of people out there very keen to be in with the cool kids, and if misandry and having a persecution complex is cool then count me in.
    She might make enough money to be able to stay in her childhood bedroom forever getting the odd manicure and hairdo, shopping online all day with Boohoo and Misguided and having mammy carry up her tea on a tray.
    Anything is better then going out and risking being objectified harassed and discriminated against by all the horrible mens. ( but not daddy, he’s a dote, so he is).

• Advertisement

I really don't think there is. Both are preaching hate. One for gender. The other for race. LON says how men should be killed. White extremists are saying people of different races should.

There's no difference.

Because "you don't think there is" doesn't make it a fact.

I've explained why.

I also find it odd how you're essentially saying what she says is stupid, while also supporting her.

You need to figure out your stance.

But really -- this is getting boring.

I've explained why.

I also find it odd how you're essentially saying what she says is stupid, while also supporting her.

You need to figure out your stance.

But really -- this is getting boring.

Will you go away with that tripe.

There's no difference.

With regard to her tweet posted on here earlier, can you imagine if a white person posted "i'm getting messages from a black dude arguing slavery was bad. Can't be bothered with him today. Can someone murder him please?"

Then (read the replies) she gets a reply saying "tyre Iron okay ?" and she responds with "marry me!".

She would be quite rightly reviled and likely charged with a hate crime.

I don't see the difference either.

With regard to her tweet posted on here earlier, can you imagine if a white person posted "i'm getting messages from a black dude arguing slavery was bad. Can't be bothered with him today. Can someone murder him please?"

Then (read the replies) she gets a reply saying "tyre Iron okay ?" and she responds with "marry me!".

So she is instigating a hate crime on a public forum and we are told just to ignore it?

If so, she be banned from twitter.

There’s a guy on here, a mod actually, we follow each other on Twitter.
    Lovely chap but he falls for this stuff hook, line and sinker.
    I cringe at the stuff he retweets and his replies. He may as well walk around with a sandwich board saying ‘sorry for being born male’

There’s a guy on here, a mod actually, we follow each other on Twitter.
    Lovely chap but he falls for this stuff hook, line and sinker.
    I cringe at the stuff he retweets and his replies. He may as well walk around with a sandwich board saying ‘sorry for being born male’

Is this him?

:pac:

So she is instigating a hate crime on a public forum and we are told just to ignore it?

If so, she be banned from twitter.

No I'm arguing that misandrist extremism is just as bad as sexism and racism but is widely excused when it shouldn't be.

Is this him?

I can imagine him doing something like that alright :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭my poor tortured hands

Poor 'ould misunderstood Louise is merely speaking figuratively or prosaically when she asks for someone to murder the guy. She means murder him in a debate of course.

She doesn't have the stones for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Poor 'ould misunderstood Louise is merely speaking figuratively or prosaically when she asks for someone to murder the guy. She means murder him in a debate of course.

She doesn't have the stones for it.

like the promoting of the womens day march (burn the place down - her words) and then not going as she had appointments

What do we want ?

DEATH TO THE PATRIARCHY!!!!

When do we want it ??

Erm well I have Pilates on Friday, Jacinta has a gender studies paper due... could we pencil in January ????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

splinter65 wrote: »
    having mammy carry up her tea on a tray.
    Anything is better then going out and risking being objectified harassed and discriminated against by all the horrible mens. ( but not daddy, he’s a dote, so he is).
    Not to go too freudian(cos IMH he was an awful chancer and it takes one to know one), but every single hardline "feminist" I've ever met* - and I have met a few - have roughly divided into two camps as far as their first and primary male influence in their lives goes. IE Daddy©. One camp had fathers who were useless sperm donor shadows of men whose influence was usually anything but positive, if even present, others had fathers who were the Greatest men ever™. The former group naturally tend to think men are ****, the latter group think men can never live up to Daddy©, so men other than him are almost certainly ****. The former group look up to their mother(usually because she was the strong one who kept it all together because the father was useless), the latter group see the Ma(or more the case these days, the moooom) as a shadowy creature that is freudian(chancer) competition for Daddy's© attention.

Exempli Gratia** on the topic of the thread. An article by Ms O'Neill on the UCD "scandal" that never happened. We'll leave the guttural, visceral, scream part alone and the fact it never happened(feels trump facts), but regard if you will the picture painted of the actors in this play: The Ma™:

"It’s all too much for me so I take refuge under the bedcovers and am eventually coaxed out by my mother who helps me pack. And when I say help me pack, I mean that I supervise. And when I say supervise, I mean I yell at her for packing the dark grey hoodie when I clearly said the light grey hoodie. She then places the suitcases in the car, buckling under their weight, before giving me a piggy back and placing me in the driver’s seat. (Okay, that last bit isn’t true.)"

Then the picture painted of men in general, even relatives:

"With the paranoia that the night can bring I start to think of all the men that I have known. I think of when I was three, cuddling into my Granddad Murphy’s lap as he stroked my hair and told me I was the best girl and I wonder did he really think that, or did he secretly hate women too? I think of my uncles and my male cousins and my male friends and how kind they all seem, and I begin to fear that their smiles might hide their sneers, that they might think I’m a stupid bitch who needs to stop complaining. I think of my ex-boyfriends, how I stood naked before them and I wonder if they thought my body was something to be talked about with their friends, if they too thought female sexuality was something to be laughed at."

And then the picture painted of The Da™

"The next day my father rings. He is worried about me, he tells me. “Your mother tells me you’ve gone viral.” I can hear the desperation in my voice as I answer ‘yes’, but I’m right aren’t I? What happened was despicable, wasn’t it. But all I can really hear is myself asking him if he still loves me. If he loves me even if I am ‘just a girl’. He is measured, as he always is, and I feel my panic dissipating with every sensible, good, decent word that he says. “You are doing the right thing,” he tells me. “I am so proud of you.” And I remind myself that I have no other choice. I cannot un-see the ugly misogyny so I have no other choice but to speak out."

Draw your own conclusions.

* I don't mean the average woman(or man) who may describe themselves as feminists and cherry pick the gospel because they actually believe in equality, I mean the full on hardcore types who've researched and bought into the philosophy wholesale. I'm also talking about fully adult people. I mean teens and college age folks can try on different hats before the settle on one that fits and is generally moderate can believe in all sorts of stuff. And rightly so. That's part of growing up. If anything I'm more dubious of young types who just go along with the status quo of their "elders".

** Pretentious, moi? Qui...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

@Wibbs

That middle one is bone chilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭storker

@Wibbs

There is a laugh to be found in it, though...

"It is hastily written, ill-thought out, but I post it anyway."

A description that would fit a lot of her output, I suspect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

@Wibbs

More worrying to have such a view of the world PP, however transitory.
    storker wrote: »

And mine to be fair S. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    @Wibbs

More worrying to have such a view of the world PP, however transitory.
    storker wrote: »

And mine to be fair S. :D

Agreed. What sort of person looks at a member of the opposite sex with such animosity when they are a friend, family member or other loved one ???

Mad. Except St Daddy. Obvs!

The Irish Mammy™ is often the subject of debate and derision about how she can shape her sons and daughters, but in my humble the Irish Daddy™ is a character that can be just as bad and gets away scot free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,366 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Louise O'Neill, what a guy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

"It’s all too much for me so I take refuge under the bedcovers and am eventually coaxed out by my mother who helps me pack. And when I say help me pack, I mean that I supervise. And when I say supervise, I mean I yell at her for packing the dark grey hoodie when I clearly said the light grey hoodie. She then places the suitcases in the car, buckling under their weight..."

I remember reading that and thinking surely a feminist would have more respect for her mother.

She also said Ireland is like The Handmaid's Tale.

Been reading about Yemen this weekend and to be honest I'm still in fecking bits. Beyond upsetting. Of course there is nothing wrong with addressing problems in your own country but it's the lack of perspective that gets me.

It's making a mockery of feminism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement