Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Nah it's just a way of dismissing her. It's funny how all the people who give out the most about her "silencing" their intelligent debate have to resort to blaming her views on mental illness.

Apart from being a crap debating tactic it doesn't make any sense. I can't think of any of the standard mental health issues that lead to relatively complex political/moral positions.

It's a very lazy "I find her views "crazy" as in outrageous, therefore she must "crazy" as in mentally ill".

Yes because we should take someone who makes audacious baseless claims as perfectly sane. Have a word with yourself FFS!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

py2006 wrote: »
    Surely attributing peculiar behaviour and beliefs that are so strong she puts them on the media to some form of mental illness is far kinder and sympathetic than name calling?
    Why not discard both the above methods and instead point out the gaping holes in logic (of which there are many) in what she writes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

mzungu wrote: »
    Why not discard both the above methods and instead point out the gaping holes in logic (of which there are many) in what she writes?

I believe that has fallen on deaf ears and largely dismissed as "misogyny" and "trolling" on her part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Nah it's just a way of dismissing her. It's funny how all the people who give out the most about her "silencing" their intelligent debate have to resort to blaming her views on mental illness.

Apart from being a crap debating tactic it doesn't make any sense. I can't think of any of the standard mental health issues that lead to relatively complex political/moral positions.

It's a very lazy "I find her views "crazy" as in outrageous, therefore she must "crazy" as in mentally ill".

Oh is it? Thanks for setting me straight:rolleyes:

I've no interest in silencing her, she can spout all the sh1te she likes, I'd just like to see more criticism coming her way for her outrageous sexist views, instead of '..keep doing what your doing..' and other such nauseating endearment.

And what planet are her ridiculous ramblings, complex political or moral positions?!:D Priceless. A great insight into what you really think on her that you refer to her opinions in those terms.

What rational person of sound mind, makes the bizarre statements she does? How has she (logically) developed these outlandish sexist views in your opinion then? Just to be clear, so you're not confused, I'm simply stating it's a POSSIBLE reason, or contributing factor in some of her views.

Exactly how is she being silenced? She has a platform none of us here have. She leads a privileged middle class livestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Really how so? Care to actually back it up with facts or actually debate it? No didnt think so. Just another troll. :rolleyes:

All over Europe at this present time, we have mainstream media who are promoting lefty virtue signallers like O'Neill, Mullaly, etc. Anyone who offers different views from their little sad world view are dismissed as racist, classist, and what have you.

All over Europe at this present time (and every other time too), we have mainstream media who are promoting right-wing blowhards like Brendan O'Connor, Katie Hopkins, Ian O'Doherty, David Quinn, etc. Anyone who offers different views from their sad little world view is dismissed as a 'virtue signaller', a 'misandrist', and what have you.

You seem really angry at the very existence of anything that differs from your own sad little world view. You are ridiculous.

You seem really angry at the very existence of anything that differs from your own sad little world view. You are ridiculous.

See the irony?

That post is ridiculous. Nobody here is angry at you for your different view, nor is anybody questioning your mental health.

Yet you resort to insults

All over Europe at this present time (and every other time too), we have mainstream media who are promoting right-wing blowhards like Brendan O'Connor, Katie Hopkins, Ian O'Doherty, David Quinn, etc. Anyone who offers different views from their sad little world view is dismissed as a 'virtue signaller', a 'misandrist', and what have you.

Seriously, have you heard of irony?! Louise.. sorry, Hapax.. I don't know who most of those are, aside from Katie Hopkins.. who is an odious racist creature.. Tell me, what does that opinion make me?

givyjoe wrote: »
    Seriously, have you heard of irony?! Louise.. sorry, Hapax.. I don't know who most of those are, aside from Katie Hopkins.. who is an odious racist creature.. Tell me, what does that opinion make me?

With the exception of Katie Hopkins, who is a regular on the Late Late Show and Newstalk, they all write for top-selling Irish papers. I'm surprised that you're familiar with Louise O'Neill (who writes for her local paper), but none of those people who have weekly columns in the country's top selling papers.

The point I'm making is that centre-right and right-wing views are well catered for throughout the Irish media.
    py2006 wrote:
    That post is ridiculous. Nobody here is angry at you for your different view, nor is anybody questioning your mental health.

Yet you resort to insults

Earlier in this thread, a right-wing troll accused me of only being here "looking for the ride". The mods did fuck all about it, so I think it's safe to assume that merely calling someone 'ridiculous' is fair game. Do me a favour though. Report my 'insulting' post and see what happens.

With the exception of Katie Hopkins, who is a regular on the Late Late Show and Newstalk, they all write for top-selling Irish papers. I'm surprised that you're familiar with Louise O'Neill (who writes for her local paper), but none of those people who have weekly columns in the country's top selling papers.

The point I'm making is that centre-right and right-wing views are well catered for throughout the Irish media.

Earlier in this thread, a right-wing troll accused me of only being here "looking for the ride". The mods did fuck all about it, so I think it's safe to assume that merely calling someone 'ridiculous' is fair game. Do me a favour though. Report my 'insulting' post and see what happens.

You're surprised I've heard of her?! Sure we're posting in what others have called, a megathread, about her :D. I don't buy, therefore don't read, print newspapers. I've came across her through the prime time viewing documentary on our national broadcaster, did any of the others you seem to be inferring as a 'somebody' to LON's nobody, have the same? She was recently on the Late Late Show, she was on Tommy Tiernan. Kate Hopkins aside, have any of others been on those shows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You've pretty much proved my point. The delusions referenced in that article are personal beliefs such as "someone is trying to poison me".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Calling someone a right wing troll is probably worse to be fair.

py2006 wrote: »
    Surely attributing peculiar behaviour and beliefs, that are so strong she puts them on the media, to some form of mental illness is far kinder and sympathetic than name calling?

Yeah because those are the only two options. "I disagree with this person but I'm too honourable to call them a name. I'll just say they're crazy".

Yes because we should take someone who makes audacious baseless claims as perfectly sane. Have a word with yourself FFS!

I can't help it if you're completely ignorant on the meaning of mental health.

You've pretty much proved my point. The delusions referenced in that article are personal beliefs such as "someone is trying to poison me".
    Jesus, did you miss the part that stated '.. such as..'. It's not a definitive list! That link does anything but prove your point.

You're surprised I've heard of her?! Sure we're posting in what others have called, a megathread, about her :D. I don't buy, therefore don't read, print newspapers. I've came across her through the prime time viewing documentary on our national broadcaster, did any of the others you seem to be inferring as a 'somebody' to LON's nobody, have the same? She was recently on the Late Late Show, she was on Tommy Tiernan. Kate Hopkins aside, have any of others been on those shows?

Brendan O'Connor... has his own show! :) (RTE1, Wednesday nights) And he was on the Late Late recently, and used to present the Saturday Night Show. And David Quinn and Ian O'Doherty appear with monotonous regularity on all the current affairs shows. The point I was making, in response to tipp_Gunner, is that lots of different views get promoted in the media, and he shouldn't worry about those reds under the bed.

Calling someone a right wing troll is probably worse to be fair.

He's right-wing and he was clearly trolling. Report my post though, please, rather than arguing about it with me.

Oh is it? Thanks for setting me straight:rolleyes:

You're welcome

I've no interest in silencing her, she can spout all the sh1te she likes, I'd just like to see more criticism coming her way for her outrageous sexist views, instead of '..keep doing what your doing..' and other such nauseating endearment.

Why are people so obsessed with "silencing" on this thread. I said dismissing. Two completely different things.
    And what planet is does are her ridiculous ramblings, complex political or moral positions?!:D Priceless. A great insight into what you really think on her that you refer to her opinions in those terms.

I said "relatively complex". No I don't think it's academic political analysis or even close. Nor do I think that's what she's aiming for. But it's clear she's thought about them.
    What rational person of sound mind, makes the bizarre statements she does? How has she (logically) developed these outlandish sexist views in your opinion then? Just to be clear, so you're not confused, I'm simply stating it's a POSSIBLE reason, or contributing factor in some of her views.

It's clear you have no understanding of mental illness. Can you point out which disorder she's suffering from and the link between the symptoms of that disorder and her opinions?

Brendan O'Connor... has his own show! :) (RTE1, Wednesday nights) And he was on the Late Late recently, and used to present the Saturday Night Show. And David Quinn and Ian O'Doherty appear with monotonous regularity on all the current affairs shows. The point I was making, in response to tipp_Gunner, is that lots of different views get promoted in the media, and he shouldn't worry about those reds under the bed.

Oops, I do know him! Anyway, what problem should I have with him?! Maybe I should/would If I saw a thread on him with some outrageous quotes :p

Oops, I do know him! Anyway, what problem should I have with him?! Maybe I should/would If I saw a thread on him with some outrageous quotes :p

I'm only saying he's a right-wing voice in the Irish media, not that anyone should have a problem with him.

• Advertisement

Jesus, did you miss the part that stated '.. such as..'. It's not a definitive list! That link does anything but prove your point.

Are you really pretending you don't know the class of delusions to which that wiki article is referring?

You're welcome

Why are people so obsessed with "silencing" on this thread. I said dismissing. Two completely different things.

I said "relatively complex". No I don't think it's academic political analysis or even close. Nor do I think that's what she's aiming for. But it's clear she's thought about them.

It's clear you have no understanding of mental illness. Can you point out which disorder she's suffering from and the link between the symptoms of that disorder and her opinions?

I knew someone would trot this absolute horsesh1t out eventually. Would you like to tell us about your medical credentials as why you are qualified to judge on the understanding others have on mental illness? Twice you've mentioned it now without giving any information on your credibility here, aside from 'because I said so'. Someone has quickly and easily post a link to condition, which is astonishingly close to her 'symptoms'. Of course its just a link to wikipedia, pinch of salt etc, but it at least offers some potential logical reason for why she thinks/says what she does.. which is more insight than she herself can offer for what she thinks/says.

Tell me, do I need to to be a GP to establish that someone with a runny nose, coughing, sneezing and shivering... looks sick? I'm not qualified to diagnose what specific condition she may be suffering from, you are equally unqualified to dismiss it.

My understanding of mental health is well being + the absence of underlying condition (diagnosed or otherwise). Tell me, whats yours Dr Nick(ola)?

I knew someone would trot this absolute horsesh1t out eventually. Would you like to tell us about your medical credentials as why you are qualified to judge on the understanding others have on mental illness? Twice you've mentioned it now without giving any information on your credibility here, aside from 'because I said so'. Someone has quickly and easily post a link to condition, which is astonishingly close to her 'symptoms'. Of course its just a link to wikipedia, pinch of salt etc, but it at least offers some potential logical reason for why she thinks/says what she does.. which is more insight than she herself can offer for what she thinks/says.

Tell me, do I need to to be a GP to establish that someone with a runny nose, coughing, sneezing and shivering... looks sick? I'm not qualified to diagnose what specific condition she may be suffering from, you are equally unqualified to dismiss it.

My understanding of mental health is well being + the absence of underlying condition (diagnosed or otherwise). Tell me, whats yours Dr Nick(ola)?

I don't claim to be an expert (PhD level). I've done undergraduate and postgraduate courses in abnormal psychology, and have read the DSM Though.

But you simply have to read the wiki the other poster posted to see she doesn't fit into any of the categories listed: erotomanic, grandiose, persecutory, somatic, jealous. Please read the article and tell me which subtype she is?

I mean you don't have to be a doctor to think someone with a stuffed nose has a cold but if they had a sore foot and you diagnosed them with a cold id be a little worried about your intelligence....

Ha ha what a compliment coming from someone who is he'll bent on making a holy show of themselves on this thread. Still waiting on you to present an actual defence of your feminist heroes?? Nope??

People who have spoken out against the glaring fallacies of deluded left ideological nonsense such as 'multiculturialsm', 'rape culture', and political correctness have been banned from even entering the UK as of last week. The Uk being the same clowns who have let in known intentional terrorists.

O'Neill was more concerned about the term used to describe filth who wrecked a Lidl store than the fact that the jobs of over 20 people were in jeopardy. And people are wondering why she has opposition? Hillarious

I don't claim to be an expert (PhD level). I've done undergraduate and postgraduate courses in abnormal psychology, and have read the DSM Though.

But you simply have to read the wiki the other poster posted to see she doesn't fit into any of the categories listed: erotomanic, grandiose, persecutory, somatic, jealous. Please read the article and tell me which subtype she is?

I mean you don't have to be a doctor to think someone with a stuffed nose has a cold but if they had a sore foot and you diagnosed them with a cold id be a little worried about your intelligence....

I think that sentence sums you, sorry your posting style up perfectly, snide with nothing really to contribute.

You've perfectly made my point and undermined your own, the link included a list of symptoms (to a mental illness) which closely match her behaviour, and you wonder why folks might question her mental state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Thread is absolutely ridiculous at this point.

I think that sentence sums you, sorry your posting style up perfectly, snide with nothing really to contribute.

Are you going to tell me which subtype of delusional disorder you think fits her best?

Hint: none of them do because she's not mentally ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Are you going to tell me which subtype of delusional disorder you think fits her best?

how does her stating she has an eating disorder fit into your idea she has perfectly fine mental health

Tell me then, in your non expert opinion, what is a possible explanation for her irrational views?

• Advertisement

Well like, hasn't she said herself that she's suffering from an eating disorder?..so she is/was mentally ill..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement