Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Thread is absolutely ridiculous at this point.

Aye, it ran its course many moons ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Well like, hasn't she said herself that she's suffering from an eating disorder?..so she is/was mentally ill..
    That still has nothing to do with it. If the only rebuttal people can come up with is to drag eating disorders and all that kind of thing into it, then its obvious they have no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

how does her stating she has an eating disorder fit into your idea she has perfectly fine mental health

I didn't mean that she had perfect mental health. I was referring to the idea that she has delusional disorder and her political beliefs are a symptom. I can't see how her eating disorder and her political beliefs have anytjing in common. Nor do I see how the multiple people I've met with depression/anxiety etc. has any impact on their political beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

givyjoe wrote: »
    Tell me then, in your non expert opinion, what is a possible explanation for her irrational views?

With her deluded and irrational views, she has managed to tap into and take advantage of the leftist, p.c. fawning mainstream Irish media in order to sell her wares and make a quick buck out of modern snowflake culture and perpetual victimhood. In some ways, if she were not such a dangerous charlatan, I would admire her.

mzungu wrote: »
    That still has nothing to do with it. If the only rebuttal people can come up with is to drag eating disorders and all that kind of thing into it, then its obvious they have no argument.

Eating disorders aren't just a hipster attention seeking malaise though. They're an extremely serious mental illness..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I didn't mean that she had perfect mental health. I was referring to the idea that she has delusional disorder and her political beliefs are a symptom. I can't see how her eating disorder and her political beliefs have anytjing in common. Nor do I see how the multiple people I've met with depression/anxiety etc. has any impact on their political beliefs.

thats perfectly fine but its not the point you keep making.
    you are saying she has no mentel problems dispite herself claiming that she does. im sure her eating disorder has been diognosed by a profetional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

People who have spoken out against the glaring fallacies of deluded left ideological nonsense such as 'multiculturialsm', 'rape culture', and political correctness have been banned from even entering the UK as of last week. The Uk being the same clowns who have let in known intentional terrorists.

You're moving onto a whole new topic now. And because I don't think the far-right are the 'victims' you portray them as, I can't think of any way of responding to your post that won't result in having to witness the highly unedifying spectacle of you defending racists. I think we should agree to disagree. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Really? You don't think anxiety could INFLUENCE ones life views? Genuine question. I suffer on and off with anxeity. One way it affects me is that I can be quite conservative when suffering with it, avoiding risks and situations. Surely it's possible that it might influence who might appeal to me in terms of political beliefs, should they 'tap into'my concerns.

thats perfectly fine but its not the point you keep making.
    you are saying she has no mentel problems dispite herself claiming that she does. im sure her eating disorder has been diognosed by a profetional

I originally asked for the disorder she was suffering from and the link to her views. Someone posted delusional disorder which she clearly does not fit. My response to her not having a mental illness was in relation to that. So if she has an eating disorder can you show me how the symptoms of that disorder directly lead to her political beliefs and opinions?

You're moving onto a whole new topic now. And because I don't think the far-right are the 'victims' you portray them as, I can't think of any way of responding to your post that won't result in having to witness the highly unedifying spectacle of you defending racists. I think we should agree to disagree. :)

i dont think anyone is saying that the far right are victims.
    the problem is that the far right are considered nuts and ht efar left considered normal and praised for their beliefs. when in reality both extreams are just as nuts as each other

• Advertisement

Really? You don't think anxiety could INFLUENCE ones life views? Genuine question. I suffer on and off with anxeity. One way it affects me is that I can be quite conservative when suffering with it, avoiding risks and situations. Surely it's possible that it might influence who might appeal to me in terms of political beliefs, should they 'tap into'my concerns.

Has it impacted your political beliefs?

Eating disorders aren't just a hipster attention seeking malaise though. They're an extremely serious mental illness..
    I know it's a serious mental illness. But either her views stand up to scrutiny or they don't. Eating disorders should not come into it. Mentioning she had an eating disorder does not rebut anything she says, it merely comes across as a personal attack.

I originally asked for the disorder she was suffering from and the link to her views. Someone posted delusional disorder which she clearly does not fit. My response to her not having a mental illness was in relation to that. So if she has an eating disorder can you show me how the symptoms of that disorder directly lead to her political beliefs and opinions?

my opoligies. i must have missed that part.

her views and opinions arnt political. they are about hating men and blameing us for everything

Has it impacted your political beliefs?

I don't have any political beliefs. Completely apathetic in that regards. My point was, that what they're selling, 'you' could be buying because it appeals to you due to your world views which are impacted by the a condition. I can honestly say it affects my behaviour and thought process at times because I see a difference to when I've taken medication to suppress it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

mzungu wrote: »
    Aye, it ran its course many moons ago.

Didn’t it? I mean I only dip in and out now and again but I’ve no interest in engaging with petty tit for tat, and right now it reads like it’s about 3 insults away from Yo Momma jokes.

my opoligies. i must have missed that part.

her views and opinions arnt political. they are about hating men and blameing us for everything

Her entire documentary was about hating Mem and blaming them? Must have missed that part.

Her entire documentary was about hating Mem and blaming them? Must have missed that part.

what documentry. im basing my opinion on all the tweets she posts

Didn’t it? I mean I only dip in and out now and again but I’ve no interest in engaging with petty tit for tat, and right now it reads like it’s about 3 insults away from Yo Momma jokes.

Yo momma such a feminist, she left you in childcare and focused on her career leaving you suffering with abandonment issues..

I don't have any political beliefs. Completely apathetic in that regards. My point was, that what they're selling, 'you' could be buying because it appeals to you due to your world views which are impacted by the a condition. I can honestly say it affects my behaviour and thought process at times because I see a difference to when I've taken medication to suppress it.

So you've changed from her having direct delusions to possibly being influenced in some unknowable unidentifiable way by an eating disorder. Thats basically the same kind of bland statement such as "person X was influenced by their parents divorce/going to Catholic school/playing rugby".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

i dont think anyone is saying that the far right are victims.
    the problem is that the far right are considered nuts and ht efar left considered normal and praised for their beliefs. when in reality both extreams are just as nuts as each other

Is Louise O'Neill 'far-left' though? Beyond the feminist stuff, I know nothing about her political views. The main disagreement I'd have with most people on here is that she isn't some kind of extremist, just someone who has views that differ from theirs. It's an argument that tends to go round in circles though, because of how some people perceive her views.

• Advertisement

what documentry. im basing my opinion on all the tweets she posts

You're really not. You're basing it on some.

You're really not. You're basing it on some.

fair enough. yes some tweets. but the rest arnt changing my views on her

So you've changed from her having direct delusions to possibly being influenced in some unknowable unidentifiable way by an eating disorder. Thats basically the same kind of bland statement such as "person X was influenced by their parents divorce/going to Catholic school/playing rugby".

Sick of going round in circles with you.. answer a simple question, for the love of god. Do you have any kind of rational or logical reason for why she believes some of the disturbed stuff she does?

But like, there's the physiological element in the eating disorder..brain chemistry, hormonal issues etc..
    There's the fact that by their very nature they're a manifestation of something thats anxiety based, which will probably manifest in other ways..
    Maybe her feminism is a reaction to an inferiority complex that has just decided on blaming men for Louise not being beautiful and popular, and not due to the whole patriarchal oppression thing..

Sick of going round in circles with you.. answer a simple question, for the love of god. Do you have any kind of rational or logical reason for why she believes some of the disturbed stuff she does?

The same reasons anyone has social/political opinions which are myriad. I think numerous things have influenced her beliefs just as numerous things have influenced mine and yours.

The same reasons anyone has social/political opinions which are myriad. I think numerous things have influenced her beliefs just as numerous things have influenced mine and yours.

something very serious must have happened to twist her view of reality around for her to have her views.
    most people dont act the way she does

But like, there's the physiological element in the eating disorder..brain chemistry, hormonal issues etc..
    There's the fact that by their very nature they're a manifestation of something thats anxiety based, which will probably manifest in other ways..
    Maybe her feminism is a reaction to an inferiority complex that has just decided on blaming men for Louise not being beautiful and popular, and not due to the whole patriarchal oppression thing..

Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Her feminism could be due to thousands of tiny interacting factors. Using her eating disorder to dismiss it is really one of the ****tiest arguments I've heard on this thread. Do you have any social/political beliefs?

Comical fudging of an answer. An even more simple question, do you believe any of her views are sexist?

something very serious must have happened to twist her view of reality around for her to have her views.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to make up that serious thing.... Maybe she was locked in a cupboard by her father as a child.... Maybe..... She was DEFINITELY locked up by her father.

• Advertisement

Ahh, that's probably a bit harsh..
    Lots of people can become motivated by the cause du jour..
    Many people want the limelight..
    She was influenced by this psychologist or whatever in New York, and really, kind of was the first person coming out with the stuff she does in Ireland..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement