Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was in UCD around that time and I'm quite certain that it did happen (although maybe not quite as extreme as was reported), and that UCD's investigation was useless, rushed and hampered by the fact that no members of the (private) Facebook group were prepared to publicly come forward. A similar (albeit non-private) group had been found the year before (the then SU president had been a member), so it's not like this kind of thing was unprecedented.

I don't consider it a moderate response. But then, I got an electric shock when I was getting out of my car last week in a multistory car park, and involuntarily shouted the name of our blessed Lord and saviour Jesus Christ, except replacing the 'Christ' part with the c-word, so I'm in no position to criticise other people for their disproportionate responses.

She acknowledges the fact that the questions she's posing stem from paranoia, so I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Especially considering the fact that men who seem 'woke' and 'liberal' are absolutely not less likely to carry out sexual assaults. I can't believe I'm using this as an example, but as a troll suggested earlier in this thread, maybe I'm 'defending' her because I see the nice-guy act as a means to an end. That end, of course, being getting my end away.

Sure the investigation was wrong and Louise right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Is there seriously 161 pages dedicated to talking about a blogger. Wow. The energy wasted on this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

givyjoe wrote: »
    Again, I didn't imply anything, i specifically stated when clarifying my logic that it's possible that it was contributing to her warped views. Would you care to speculate as to what could possibly have contributed to the MANY bizarre statements she's made? At this point it feels like we need a sticky to remind everyone of the long list of sh1t
    Ideology. A lot of that postmodern gender and critical race theory (whilst coming from a good place, I'm sure) takes no heed of on the ground realities as it was mostly theorised in ivory towers and backed up by decades of self referential journals. IMO, mental health does not come into it in any way, shape or form. Besides, it comes off as being a personal attack which is beyond the pale.
    Sorry, what do you mean 'we' know she didn't say it? Who 'knows' this? I said repeatedly earlier in the thread that I believed it was in the documentary but could be mistaken, I'm not mistaken about those views coming from her however. It is literally the reason I 'took note' of her.
    Yep, the documentary is more along the lines of "you are doing this to us" kind of thing. While I don't buy her reasoning, it is still a long way off painting all men as potential rapists. I cannot find any evidence it was said in the documentary. Like I said, I am positive it is Mandela Effect thing in action. Everyone thinks she said it, but there is nothing to suggest she has.
    Men need to.be taught not to rape through consent classes.
    Women can't be sexist towards men
    No arguments there. The above is completely off the wall, and I don't know how anybody could actually buy into it. However, as she did say that, then it should, and is open to critique. It is worth noting though, that through a gender theory lens, that would be mainstream enough.

cursai wrote: »
    Is there seriously 161 pages dedicated to talking about a blogger. Wow. The energy wasted on this.

Ahhhh...Louise is more than a blogger..
    She's a feminist, an author, a feminist, a bastion of women's rights, a feminist, an influencer, a feminist, an ideologue, a tupac fan, and a feminist..

And she's promoting a book..

Shur what else would we be giving out about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Earlier in this thread, a right-wing troll accused me of only being here "looking for the ride". The mods did fuck all about it,

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

She has a writing room now so she means business!
    https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/975516856697180160

For some reason that annoys me more than half the shíte she comes out with..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I tried turning a spare room into a 'writing room' before, in the hope that it'd make me write more.

Did it?

Did it fuck.

:P

Mark my words, Sweetemotion. Your day of reckoning is coming, when an evil wind will blow through your little play world and wipe that smug smile off your face. And I'll be there, in all my glory, watching, watching as it all comes crumbling down.

Hmm, maybe the parents of this 32 year old have a bit to answer for at this stage.

Hmm, maybe the parents of this 32 year old have a bit to answer for at this stage.

Yeah..her poor father..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Does she live with her parents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

on the plus side the IT circulation is dropping 6% a year, it should be bankrupt and reduced to a website within a decade

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Does she live with her parents?

Yes, she lives with her parents.

Yes, she lives with her parents.

so a feminist and an independent womyn living with the patriarchy , what a loser :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

silverharp wrote: »
    on the plus side the IT circulation is dropping 6% a year, it should be bankrupt and reduced to a website within a decade

What's that got to do with Louise O'Neill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

silverharp wrote: »

She writes for the examiner. Mullaly is with the times that’s maybe the confusion - but mullaly isn’t as insufferable as Lon is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

She writes for the examiner. Mullaly is with the times that’s maybe the confusion - but mullaly isn’t as insufferable as Lon is

She's worse than O'Neill but she's balanced out by Breda O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Tbh it doesn’t really bother me that she has a platform for her views, even if they do read as pathetically as a dear diary entry. I’m sure there’s an appetie for her articles and maybe some people like her opinions and that’s grand.
    What is irksome however is her views remain unchallenged and anytime I’ve seen or heard her being interviewed it’s akin to a child’s ego being massaged after doing a presentation on their Tran Year project.

There’s no voice of dissent and nobody seems willing to pull her up on her shiite. I’d like to see her on Cutting Edge and I’m surprised actually that she hasn’t been on. I genuinely believe she wouldn’t know what to do or say if she was challenged on something and that’s why she avoids shows like those cos she probably can’t cope without being pacified for her inane drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Tbh it doesn’t really bother me that she has a platform for her views, even if they do read as pathetically as a dear diary entry. I’m sure there’s an appetie for her articles and maybe some people like her opinions and that’s grand.
    What is irksome however is her views remain unchallenged and anytime I’ve seen or heard her being interviewed it’s akin to a child’s ego being massaged after doing a presentation on their Tran Year project.

There’s no voice of dissent and nobody seems willing to pull her up on her shiite. I’d like to see her on Cutting Edge and I’m surprised actually that she hasn’t been on. I genuinely believe she wouldn’t know what to do or say if she was challenged on something and that’s why she avoids shows like those cos she probably can’t cope without being pacified for her inane drivel.

Yeah that's true. She wouldn't last a minute in a debate anyway and she knows it. She's a sheltered brat who can't face any pressure. A true role model for young women alright.

cursai wrote: »

Journalist for the Irish Examiner. A national newspaper. Being completely honest, she is one of many loons. She shouldn't be singled out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,752 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Silverharp may be aware or unaware that the Irish Examiner is now owned by the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Mark my words, Sweetemotion. Your day of reckoning is coming, when an evil wind will blow through your little play world and wipe that smug smile off your face. And I'll be there, in all my glory, watching, watching as it all comes crumbling down.
    What a wonderfully bitter and hate-filled post. I suspect that's mission accomplished for Sweetemotion.

It doesn't take much to bring out the real person behind the online persona.

What a wonderfully bitter and hate-filled post. I suspect that's mission accomplished for Sweetemotion.

It doesn't take much to bring out the real person behind the online persona.

Makes sense now. One mentally unstable loon coming into the thread to defend another.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

Saw her on the late late show recently. I thought it was funny when she mentioned some guff along the lines of "its hard to find someone for a relationship"

Like, no shyt. I'd imagine being in a relationship with some of these virtue signalling, create-a-problem types would be like pulling your own teeth out.

Every day.

So I chortled at that. Chuckled, even. Good Luck to her!

drillyeye wrote: »
    Saw her on the late late show recently. I thought it was funny when she mentioned some guff along the lines of "its hard to find someone for a relationship"

Like, no shyt. I'd imagine being in a relationship with some of these virtue signalling, create-a-problem types would be like pulling your own teeth out.

Every day.

So I chortled at that. Chuckled, even. Good Luck to her!

It's like publicly degrading all black people and then wondering why blacks won't go near you. She might cop on one day.

It's like publicly degrading all black people and then wondering why blacks won't go near you. She might cop on one day.

Bit late for that, I reckon.

She copped on that insane "controversy" helped create a career for her. It basically IS her career.

What she wasn't banking on was the "happy ever after"....she has to live with the result of her BS now. b.b.b.b.b.b.b.b....

BACKFIRE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

drillyeye wrote: »
    Bit late for that, I reckon.

She copped on that insane "controversy" helped create a career for her. It basically IS her career.

What she wasn't banking on was the "happy ever after"....she has to live with the result of her BS now. b.b.b.b.b.b.b.b....

BACKFIRE!
    Era there will be Sam Boland types out there for her, some odd fellas tweet her, sucking up to her so id say she'd have no problems if she wanted a soy boy/woke bae type

your right, luckily both papers are going down the toilet, on their own i dont think anyone would pay to listen to their musings

Era there will be Sam Boland types out there for her, some odd fellas tweet her, sucking up to her so id say she'd have no problems if she wanted a soy boy/woke bae type

Ah yeah there will always be a Boland for her likes to fall back on.

Has anyone heard from Sam recently by the way? I'm a little worried.

• Advertisement

Well I had to look up what soy boy was, jesus, the names get weirder and weirder!

I doubt she believes a fraction of what she peddles, its purely a career thing But heres the probable irony; she more than likely would prefer a man that resembles a man, whereas she has become a woman that barely resembles a woman. Its not a match. Its not attractive.

This isn't about different types of thought, men just like women, women just like men. That's history, that's biology, that's the end of story. She should have thought about that a bit longer, she was always going to get older.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement