Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

What a wonderfully bitter and hate-filled post. I suspect that's mission accomplished for Sweetemotion.

It doesn't take much to bring out the real person behind the online persona.

It was a quote from Seinfeld. I forgot how humourless some people were. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Ah yeah there will always be a Boland for her likes to fall back on.

Has anyone heard from Sam recently by the way? I'm a little worried.

His Twitter account seems to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

His Twitter account seems to be gone.

Yeah it was posted here a few weeks back. Hopefully he returns soon, Sam's great craic.

Ah yeah there will always be a Boland for her likes to fall back on.

Has anyone heard from Sam recently by the way? I'm a little worried

He probably vanished up into the deep crevices of some feminists arse that he was licking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Makes sense now. One mentally unstable loon coming into the thread to defend another.

Eh, I thought the post was a complete p1sstake and intended to be just that, no?

• Advertisement

She has a writing room now so she means business!
    https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/975516856697180160

Plenty of low quality journalism and unfounded shíte will be produced from this Think-tank

givyjoe wrote: »
    Eh, I thought the post was a complete p1sstake and intended to be just that, no?

Who knows Joe, who honestly knows?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Who knows Joe, who honestly knows?!

Exactly. If in doubt, call someone mentally unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

He probably vanished up into the deep crevices of some feminists arse that he was licking.

Ah Sam is alright. He tells us what is acceptable and what's not, for that I'm grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Exactly. If in doubt, call someone mentally unstable.

Careful now ted, or I'll take my thanks back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ah Sam is alright. He tells us what is acceptable and what's not, for that I'm grateful.

What did he say about Friends again?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I heard he's holed up at home rewriting the Constitution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What did he say about Friends again?

That when he was 16 years old, he knew that it was both racist and sexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yeah that's true. She wouldn't last a minute in a debate anyway and she knows it. She's a sheltered brat who can't face any pressure. A true role model for young women alright.

It would be kind of funny to see her take part in a debate against, say, the Oxford Union or something. She'd be trounced.
    What a wonderfully bitter and hate-filled post. I suspect that's mission accomplished for Sweetemotion.

It doesn't take much to bring out the real person behind the online persona.

No, that post was fine. Sweetemotion deals in passive-aggressive swipes at people. And that's the beauty of passive-aggression - when someone responds strongly to it, they are the ones who look OTT. And everyone falls for it. Le sigh.

Candie wrote: »
    If posts here were confined to LON on a professional level, thats one thing. When posts start to speculate on her mental health, her living arrangements (though it's been stated she lives with her parents while she recovers from a serious eating disorder), her clothes, appearance, relationships, and even what she spends her own money on, then it's not surprising people see it as petty and sometimes spiteful. As also in the case of the Twitter person being targeted. It's frequently been 'helpfully suggested' to anyone pointing out they have a problem with that that they unfollow, so criticism of the style of some of the commentary obviously isn't welcome. People want to be left alone to say what they like and obsess over minute details of this womans life.

It's ironic that the term 'Echo Chamber' is used disparagingly when it apparently applies to the 'other side', yet that appears to be exactly what the more prolific posters on this thread seen keen to cultivate by 'encouraging' anyone questioning the style of commentary to stop posting their opinions.

Just to re-iterate what I feel I must again, I'm not a fan of LON or of any of her work. I'm just not a fan of this kind of stuff.

Very well said. I agree with it all. I'm not fan of her either.
    He's had rakes of threads about him, some which went on for six months. They used to ate him alive around here and me for defending him. Seriously, here's just the AH threads about him (there was many more throughout the site) and in these alone there's over 4000 replies and around 347 insults aimed at him. Approximately.
    You are joking, right? That's 17 threads over 13 years, the longest of which is around half the length of this one. Unlike Louise O'Neill, he wrote for the 'paper of record' and then for Ireland's largest selling daily newspaper, which had, until recently, a circulation of well over 100,000. She writes for her local paper in Cork. Her articles aren't even accessible unless you can be arsed registering.

Incidentally, the thread about Kevin Myers that "went on for six months" actually went on for less than two weeks, until it was bumped six months later (after which, it went on for less than a day).

Yes, thank you. There has been no thread on Myers anywhere near the level of this LON one. He's another provacateur so of course there'll be threads started about him but they peter out in a normal amount of time. Like you said, even the six month one was not even continuously busy for six months. It had an approximately 2.5 week active period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

The accent took me by surprise. In my head she had that fake accent that some south dubs who have a superiority complex put on. :P

What absolute horseshít..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I know, total and utter bollox. Christ, I remember from when I first heard about sex all I heard about were women having multiple orgasms and how men needed to learn about the clitoris so women could be have them, and be truly satisfied. Sure why would it even have become a thing for women to fake orgasms if men weren't trying to elicit one?

Also, she says's that the character in her book, Sarah, when having sex, prioritizes the guy's pleasure over her own as some kind of proof of all this. Eh, Louise, you wrote the bloody book ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It would be kind of funny to see her take part in a debate against, say, the Oxford Union or something. She'd be trounced.h.

I would be happy to see her interviewed by Piers Morgan on GMTV. He doesn't suffer that sort of feminism to easily. She would be challenged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

py2006 wrote: »
    The accent took me by surprise. In my head she had that fake accent that some south dubs who have a superiority complex put on. :P
    Aye I'll give her that and kudos with it. Too many Irish people and particularly young Irish women have this fake mid Atlantic elongated vowels accent. It's become almost normalised on TV. She to her credit has a nice Corkonian accent. A bloody real accent, not a fake whine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

backspin. wrote: »
    I would be happy to see her interviewed by Piers Morgan on GMTV. He doesn't suffer that sort of feminism to easily. She would be challenged.

Slacktivists don’t do arguments or debate though, they live by slogans and hashtags. They are not equipped to debate the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,752 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fairness now, Piers Morgan is a gob****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Ah but he's the right kind of gob****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,752 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wouldn't inflict him on anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what a cruel thing to inflict on somebody.

On which of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

On which of them?

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

On which of them?

Listen that's the type of debate that whoever wins, we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

She would deserve it.

• Advertisement

No, Piers Morgan can fook right off, the big gobsheen!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement