Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Of course there is nothing wrong with addressing problems in your own country but it's the lack of perspective that gets me.
    I have noted that about the first thing the narcissist or the narcissistic (sub)culture loses is the sense of perspective. It's damn near a given.
    It's making a mockery of feminism.
    That it surely is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

"It’s all too much for me so I take refuge under the bedcovers and am eventually coaxed out by my mother who helps me pack. And when I say help me pack, I mean that I supervise. And when I say supervise, I mean I yell at her for packing the dark grey hoodie when I clearly said the light grey hoodie. She then places the suitcases in the car, buckling under their weight..."

I remember reading that and thinking surely a feminist would have more respect for her mother.

She also said Ireland is like The Handmaid's Tale.

Been reading about Yemen this weekend and to be honest I'm still in fecking bits. Beyond upsetting. Of course there is nothing wrong with addressing problems in your own country but it's the lack of perspective that gets me.

The woman is 32. Lon that is not her mam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

The woman is 32. Lon that is not her mam.

I spoke to my mam like that on the death certificate it would have said "strandled by hoodie - colour not determined".

anna080 wrote: »
    I was just making a funny (debatable)

With the amount of pap that gets spoken here sometimes, it's become increasingly difficult to know when someone is being serious or not anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anyone who can claim that with a straight face is a Grade A, 24 Karat, certifiable loon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Anyone who can claim that with a straight face is a Grade A, 24 Karat, certifiable loon.

Under his eye. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

It was all over social media - women comparing western society with The Handmaid's Tale. It became kinda fashionable. It was absolutely incredible. Not one single **** given about reality at all like.

It was all over social media - women comparing western society with The Handmaid's Tale. It became kinda fashionable. It was absolutely incredible. Not one single **** given about reality at all like.
    Almost as if they wished it were true, then all their nonsense would make actual sense. Beyond the themes of the religious Right taking over(of concern when it was written) and an exploration of power, the thought has occurred to me that the Handmaid's Tale has aspects almost like some "rape fantasy" for some feminists.

Almost as if they wished it were true, then all their nonsense would make actual sense. Beyond the themes of the religious Right taking over(of concern when it was written) and an exploration of power, the thought has occurred to me that the Handmaid's Tale has aspects almost like some "rape fantasy" for some feminists.

Our resident feminist was all over this series.

Her "equal life partner" (I s**t you not, that's what she calls the poor schmuck ELP for short) is called Conor and I really expected her to changer name to OffCon.

Bat crap crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’m only really familiar with her from these threads myself.
    So, I had a gander at her Twitter, hope I won’t be accused of stalking...
    This tweet she retweeted and the replies kept me entertained during lunch :)

https://twitter.com/jenashleywright/status/928740631035437057

• Advertisement

I’m only really familiar with her from these threads myself.
    So, I had a gander at her Twitter, hope I won’t be accused of stalking...

https://twitter.com/jenashleywright/status/928740631035437057

Is that really 204,000 retweets ???

Is it the same penis ???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,230 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Are you saying that some feminists have rape fantasies about living in a totalitarian society?

Can you explain how you came to that conclusion.

Some of the bios.... Writer, poet, artist; danseur; faerie; disabled Jewish queer trans Latino; gluten-free/kosher foodie; historian, activist. He/they Good fcuking Jesus. :eek::D 433385.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,230 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Is that really 204,000 retweets ???

Is it the same penis ???

Considering that statistically something like 1/4 women will experience some kind of sexual assault and most will experience some kind of harassment during their lives, and considering how many people are on twitter, it's not really that surprising that many women have seen a cock they didn't want to see.

Of course if it's the same cock, my money is on Louis CK. He seemed to be very prolific with his.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm starting to think I'm living in a parallel universe where I get by day to day without anyone offending me. I get up, go to work, use public transport- nobody says anything inappropriate. I work with people, men and women, who are all perfectly lovely- nobody shows anybody any penises (penii?) I sometimes walk home, and pass many people in the street, nobody harasses me or pulls down their trousers and pants.
    I mean, who are these people?
    Maybe I'm just really ugly.

Grayson wrote: »
    Considering that statistically something like 1/4 women will experience some kind of sexual assault and most will experience some kind of harassment during their lives, and considering how many people are on twitter, it's not really that surprising that many women have seen a cock they didn't want to see.

Of course if it's the same cock, my money is on Louis CK. He seemed to be very prolific with his.

As I've said with most of these stats and figures - the definitions are crucial.

Get the definitions right, "man up" (or whatever our version is!) and have some balls (or associated body part) and watch the percentages tumble.

Are you saying that some feminists have rape fantasies about living in a totalitarian society?

Think he was just using the term "rape fantasy" as a metaphor for wanting to be oppressed - and it really does seem that way.

I am a woman, who deplores misogyny, wants the 8th repealed, wants women to be seen as more than just how sexy we are etc, but this version of feminism is just victimhood seeking.

I'm starting to think I'm living in a parallel universe where I get by day to day without anyone offending me. I get up, go to work, use public transport- nobody says anything inappropriate. I work with people, men and women, who are all perfectly lovely- nobody shows anybody any penises (penii?) I sometimes walk home, and pass many people in the street, nobody harasses me or pulls down their trousers and pants.

Nah. We just live in the real world.

The one where a student of mine was once flashed on the Tube in London and when said pervert asked "I bet you know what this is ?" said "Well it looks like a dick only smaller".

See these are the kinds of women who should be running the world, not the "hey ladies, did you see a penis today you weren't expecting ? RT!!!"

Give me strength!

Think he was just using the term "rape fantasy" as a metaphor for wanting to be oppressed - and it really does seem that way.

I am a woman, who deplores misogyny, wants the 8th repealed, wants women to be seen as more than just how sexy we are etc, but this version of feminism is just victimhood seeking.

May I steal that entirely to hit the resident work feminist with ????

Bloody brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Exactly, no one is suggesting anyone wants to be raped !
    But these people wallow in their "victimhood" ...

• Advertisement

Here we go... Oh and in before the "he said rape and fantasy, ohmigod!! *triggered* He is a rape apologist" or some such ballsology. The relevant word here is fantasy. Just so we're clear. Definition and explanations concerning the topic here.

A rigid totalitarian society with overtones of Judaeo-Christian sexual power and shame and women forced into sexual trysts with men, the main man of the story being a good looking bloke(Joseph Fiennes in the TV adaptation), that engages more because of the heroine's personality and appeal and extends the "relationship" beyond the perfunctory act required. So referencing that Psychology Today link we have elements of sexual blame avoidance and sexual desirability and only our heroine can change him, tame the hated powerful man(a staple of romance novels across time and culture). Throw in the feminist take of late(which Atwood has been uncomfortable about). So yeah one could argue the "rape fantasy" angle, as I have.

One might imagine if we did live in a patriarchal society in the west(and I would argue we most certainly don't, socially anyway), that The Handmaid's Tale would resonate with and have more appeal to men. What with all the nooky on tap from very controlled women, it's essentially a harem fantasy, but it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

"It’s all too much for me so I take refuge under the bedcovers and am eventually coaxed out by my mother who helps me pack. And when I say help me pack, I mean that I supervise. And when I say supervise, I mean I yell at her for packing the dark grey hoodie when I clearly said the light grey hoodie. She then places the suitcases in the car, buckling under their weight..."

I remember reading that and thinking surely a feminist would have more respect for her mother.

Been reading about Yemen this weekend and to be honest I'm still in fecking bits. Beyond upsetting. Of course there is nothing wrong with addressing problems in your own country but it's the lack of perspective that gets me.

Dave-megadeth-34668987-182-232.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No I’m the same as you Anna and I think? I’m older than you.
    30+ years out there in the adult world every single day and no penises whatsoever.
    No molestations, no discrimination no fondling.
    Nada. Zilch.

Exactly, no one is suggesting anyone wants to be raped !
    But these people wallow in their "victimhood" ...

The whole #MeToo is utter s***e.

Now this:

http://www.thejournal.ie/hollywood-march-sexual-assault-3694243-Nov2017/

How much more ????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Our resident feminist was all over this series.

Her "equal life partner" (I s**t you not, that's what she calls the poor schmuck ELP for short) is called Conor and I really expected her to changer name to OffCon.

Bat crap crazy stuff.

My God, the poor guy ... is this him ?
    article-1353274-0D06CEF1000005DC-459_1024x615_large.jpg

Here we go... Oh and in before the "he said rape and fantasy, ohmigod!! *triggered* He is a rape apologist" or some such ballsology. The relevant word here is fantasy. Just so we're clear. Definition and explanations concerning the topic here.

A rigid totalitarian society with overtones of Judaeo-Christian sexual power and shame and women forced into sexual trysts with men, the main man of the story being a good looking bloke(Joseph Fiennes in the TV adaptation), that engages more because of the heroine's personality and appeal and extends the "relationship" beyond the perfunctory act required. So referencing that Psychology Today link we have elements of sexual blame avoidance and sexual desirability and only our heroine can change him, tame the hated powerful man(a staple of romance novels across time and culture). Throw in the feminist take of late(which Atwood has been uncomfortable about). So yeah one could argue the "rape fantasy" angle, as I have.

One might imagine if we did live in a patriarchal society in the west(and I would argue we most certainly don't, socially anyway), that The Handmaid's Tale would resonate with and have more appeal to men. What with all the nooky on tap from very controlled women, it's essentially a harem fantasy, but it doesn't.

@Wibbs - the work nut job went on a rant once about how all men seem to think women just want to be subservient to them, how they think men want women to bow to their every need and practically be a man's sex slave.

Went on for a good ten minutes.

She only stopped as her and her sister we're going to queue up to watch the first Fifty Shades film.

#irony

My God, the poor guy ... is this him ?
    article-1353274-0D06CEF1000005DC-459_1024x615_large.jpg

I imagine so yeah!!!!!!!

Considering that statistically something like 1/4 women will experience some kind of sexual assault
    That "statistic" is based on and originates with the 1980's Koss study - and I use that term very bloody loosely - of college students and has been referenced ever since as a "fact"(though depending on who one reads it can go from 1 in 3 to 1 in 6). Said Koss study was so full of holes Swiss cheese factories are jealous. The questionnaire was a mess of leading questions, but most of all it was Koss who decided on behalf of the women polled who was assaulted and who wasn't. Even when the women themselves stated quite clearly they hadn't been and it was consensual.

Dave-megadeth-34668987-182-232.gif
    Yep, Ireland doesn't have abortion so it's like Gilead - where women can't work, can't drive, can't own anything and are forced into surrogacy. Twilight Zone **** like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Yep, Ireland doesn't have abortion so it's like Gilead - where women can't work, can't drive, can't own anything and are forced into surrogacy. Twilight Zone **** like.

Pockets of the Gilead world may exist in the West, but they are more likely to exist in cultures that have been imported from the Third World. Cultures that the Far-Left, and feminists, increasingly defend to the hilt btw.

But Gilead almost certainly exists in the Middle-East. And even in South Asia to a degree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement