Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What an absolute **** stirrer Louise O'Neill is. Banging on again and again about rape culture in Irish society. I would argue Irish men are some of the most respectful worldwide towards women. She should try living in other western societies such as Istanbul or even Rome.

I hope she gets libeled for that article.

Tbh watching the reaction to this trial you can kind of see where Louise is coming from..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Tbh watching the reaction to this trial you can kind of see where Louise is coming from..

Anyone who says we have a "rape culture" in Ireland is talking absolute bulls***.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Anyone who says we have a "rape culture" in Ireland is talking absolute bulls***.

A day before there was an article about two brothers who were convicted of raping two of their sisters. You have decades of covering up systemic abuse in church and different organisations, you have numerous cases of child abuse, rape in marriage and similar. I don't like term rape culture and I didn't think there was enough to convict the four. But the celebratory posts here like they are some sort of heroes for treating women like dirt disgust me. There is nothing to be gloating about. Nothing.

A bit of a conversation about sexual and other violence towards more vulnerable, be it kids, women or men, would not go amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't like term rape culture and I didn't think there was enough to convict the four. But the celebratory posts here like they are some sort of heroes for treating women like dirt disgust me. There is nothing to be gloating about. Nothing.

Where was that exactly? People said yes they may not have treated the girl with much respect but that's not illegal. Don't get it twisted just because people pointed out facts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

But the celebratory posts here like they are some sort of heroes for treating women like dirt disgust me.

Being a scumbag does not make you a rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I don't know if you're gloating or not, but that's how you're coming across.

You do really sound gutted though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

A day before there was an article about two brothers who were convicted of raping two of their sisters. You have decades of covering up systemic abuse in church and different organisations, you have numerous cases of child abuse, rape in marriage and similar. I don't like term rape culture and I didn't think there was enough to convict the four. But the celebratory posts here like they are some sort of heroes for treating women like dirt disgust me. There is nothing to be gloating about. Nothing.

A bit of a conversation about sexual and other violence towards more vulnerable, be it kids, women or men, would not go amiss.

See if they did conversations it be all about making the woman a victim and males are scum - if they’d make it gender neutral fine but I wouldn’t want a warped individual like Lon is teaching kids the way she and her type want it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What gloating? People are laughing at LON and her disciples overuling the Irish legal system through the power of Twitter & Articles.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Where was that exactly? People said yes they may not have treated the girl with much respect but that's not illegal. Don't get it twisted just because people pointed out facts.

There is a lot of celebration going on here. Like the whole trial was about getting one over Louise O'Neill.

• Advertisement

See if they did conversations it be all about making the woman a victim and males are scum - if they’d make it gender neutral fine but I wouldn’t want a warped individual like Lon is teaching kids the way she and her type want it

Yes it's better to leaving it to those who want to discuss spit roasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes it's better to leaving it to those who want to discuss spit roasting.

Like LON claiming it was rape spit roasting.

The courts have decided. LON can't accept the decision so is now discussing it.
    There is a lot of celebration going on here. Like the whole trial was about getting one over Louise O'Neill.

No one got anything over her.

This I fear is going to be the unfortunate consequence of LON's neofeminist ideological drive..

In complaining about a non existent rape culture, she has contributed to it's development..

TBH, anyone who suggests a rape culture in Ireland really needs to get out and travel/live abroad more. Perhaps visit India or certain areas in Asia, like China, which culturally suppresses claims of rape by women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

But the celebratory posts here like they are some sort of heroes for treating women like dirt disgust me. There is nothing to be gloating about. Nothing.

I don't get all this talk about them treating her like dirt? I'm going to be a little explicit here, so look away if easily offended.

By all accounts this girl wasn't very drunk and so all the nonsense of her being taking advantage of in that regard is baloney. She was the one who beckoned the lads into the room and starting blowing them. She instigated the threesome. Are we all so shocked at a female taking part in group sex that we have to demonize the men involved as a matter of course?

If it's about how they spoke about her in those texts the next day, well first of all they are lads in their early to mid 20's and that's hardly a demographic known for their subtlety but I can assure you, many women are just as crass about men the morning after as young men are about women. Have a mate who works on the Dublin Peddle Tours and the stuff he tells me that he hears of a Saturday or Sunday afternoon about hen night antics the night before (and in just as a crass a fashion - spit roasting talk the least of it) would leave you in no doubt that women can be as bad as men when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I'm not saying these lads are gents or role models or anything, but I do think people are overdoing it a little when speaking of them as scumbags and what not and if anything it all just further cements why we really should have anonymity for those accused in these cases as it's quite clear that even if you are found not-guilty, you'll still yet most likely be seen in a negative light henceforth regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    What an absolute **** stirrer Louise O'Neill is. Banging on again and again about rape culture in Irish society. I would argue Irish men are some of the most respectful worldwide towards women. She should try living in other western societies such as Istanbul or even Rome.

I hope she gets libeled for that article.

I keep mentioning this, as it continues to be a valid point, but does her #ibelieveher stand extend to Ayanna Jackson (coincidental!)? She's accused Tupac, who is LON's self confessed "woke bae".

I don't get all this talk about them treating her like dirt? I'm going to be a little explicit here, so look away if easily offended.

By all accounts this girl wasn't very drunk and so all the nonsense of her being taking advantage of in that regard is baloney. She was the one who beckoned the lads into the room and starting blowing them. She instigated the threesome. Are we all so shocked at a female taking part in group sex that we have to demonize the men involved as a matter of course?
    How do you know she was the one who beckoned them in? There was not enough to convict but that doesn't mean that suddenly their story is the one to believe. So don't make conclusions about something you gave no proof of just because it suits your narrative.

And frankly what about women is ridiculous argument, I would find it disgusting in any case if someone spoke of and treated their sexual partner that way. I don't care what people do in the bedroom but I am pretty sure that one person leaving home crying probably isn't a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

How do you know she was the one who beckoned them in? There was not enough to convict but that doesn't mean that suddenly their story is the one to believe. So don't make conclusions about something you gave no proof of just because it suits your narrative.

And frankly what about women is ridiculous argument, I would find it disgusting in any case if someone spoke of and treated their sexual partner that way. I don't care what people do in the bedroom but I am pretty sure that one person leaving home crying probably isn't a good sign.

I’m just speaking for me personally but you can agree with the verdict handed down without thinking they’re great lads and calling for the head of the girl involved. I think they’re vile pigs and I’ve nothing nice to say about any of them, but I think the right decision was made.

How do you know she was the one who beckoned them in?

Why should we doubt his version of events? Other than the fact he is a man I mean.
    "Mr Olding told police it was the woman who beckoned him over when he walked in".

There was not enough to convict but that doesn't mean that suddenly their story is the one to believe. So don't make conclusions about something you gave no proof of just because it suits your narrative.

Oh, so even though they've been found not guilty, you're still and all going to chastise those who believe certain elements of their story?

Yet again another clear example of why we need anonymity for the accused in such trials.

Why should we doubt his version of events? Other than the fact he is a man I mean.

Oh, so even though they've been found not guilty, you're still and all going to chastise those who believe certain elements of their story?

Yet again another clear example of why we need anonymity for the accused in such trials.

I'm not chastising those who believe their story I am chastising you for presenting their story as factual. We are never going to know what really happened and someone without agenda would be able to comprehend that. You are just a mirror image of Luise O'Neill. About as deluded just on opposite side of argument.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This I fear is going to be the unfortunate consequence of LON's neofeminist ideological drive..

In complaining about a non existent rape culture, she has contributed to it's development..

lots not forget a significant portion of her financial income is dependent on highlighting and enhancement of these issues.

Forgive me for being very cynical

You are just a mirror image of Luise O'Neill. About as deluded just on opposite side of argument.

Not a good sign when someone needs to resort to ad hominem littered nonsense in order to make a point.

In any event, you're the one shoehorning a case of two brothers raping there sisters into the thread in some pathetic attempt to justify the ridiculous accusation that we live in a rape culture and so it's a bit rich for you to be telling anyone that they have an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I expect Ulster Rugby and the IRFU to behave responsibly on their two employees who have been declared not guilty. Ulster badly need Jackson back at stand-off : they have already paid a price of being without him. He is still improving, and the way he sorted out his mediocre place kicking to raise it to international standard is commendable.
    He doesnt deserve any further negative impact on his career beyond what he has already suffered from this interlude. Ireland needs him too. Carbery is a fine talent, but a backup of Jackson's level vie with him is a great situation - and Sexton isnt going to keep going for ever : we could do with both of them a comfortable successors to him. Swapping him with Madigan going to Ulster would be just madness. Let Jackson put this behind him and get back to being the star of Ravenhill.
    A constant barage of unhappy women heckling him for the rest of his career like the LON one would be a true crime.

Not a good sign when someone needs to resort to ad hominem littered nonsense in order to make a point.

In any event, you're the one shoehorning a case of two brothers raping there sisters into the thread in some pathetic attempt to justify the ridiculous accusation that we live in a rape culture and so it's a bit rich for you to be telling anyone that they have an agenda.

You conveniently ignored all the other victims of sexual abuse. (just in case there is only one example). And ignored that I stated I don't like term rape culture. So I don't actually know how to respond to you expect to say you proved my point.

I expect Ulster Rugby and the IRFU to behave responsibly on their two employees who have been declared not guilty. Ulster badly need Jackson back at stand-off : they have already paid a price of being without him. He is still improving, and the way he sorted out his mediocre place kicking to raise it to international standard is commendable.
    He doesnt deserve any further negative impact on his career beyond what he has already suffered from this interlude. Ireland needs him too. Carbery is a fine talent, but a backup of Jackson's level vie with him is a great situation - and Sexton isnt going to keep going for ever : we could do with both of them a comfortable successors to him. Swapping him with Madigan going to Ulster would be just madness. Let Jackson put this behind him and get back to being the star of Ravenhill.
    A constant barage of unhappy women heckling him for the rest of his career like the LON one would be a true crime.

What do you make of our chances for next years six nations?

You really think any sponsor will touch him? Do you think Ulster Rugby sponsors will be delighted to have him in the team? If you want him in the team better start organising money collections because I can't see too many companies queuing to pay his wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You really think any sponsor will touch him? Do you think Ulster Rugby sponsors will be delighted to have him in the team? If you want him in the team better start organising money collections because I can't see too many companies queuing to pay his wages.

The
    Rape
    of
    Lucretia

givyjoe wrote: »
    The
    Rape
    of
    Lucretia

Oops. I didn't even pay attention the who the poster was. :)

I wonder will she face similar attitudes in finding work? After all, she was proven to be unreliable as a witness. Honesty/trust being something that most employers look in a professional employee.

Somehow I doubt it. The degree of double standards regarding the genders is just... meh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

God help any youngfella growing up in Ireland today.

The lunatic feminists would have them castrated at birth if they had their way, or aborted altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement