Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

I would love if Louise was taken to court on defamation or libel charges based on the vitriolic tripe she spouts. I bet she'd want her fair trial then, though. Having said that however, I'm sure her deluded followers would turn her the Irish Rosa Parks online.

She may get her day out yet.

Jackson to sue Labour senator over alleged defamatory tweet
    Love it.

This witch hunt is a disgrace. If the verdict had gone the other way and people took to the streets and social media calling the girl a liar can you imagine the reaction?

O'Riordan's tweet was a disgrace, so too are Coveney's comments on the front of the Independent today.

Being a scummy, thoughtless, inconsiderate cnut is not a crime. So the lads were acquitted. Good job too, otherwise O'Neill and her ilk would also all be locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Why should we doubt his version of events? Other than the fact he is a man I mean.

Oh, so even though they've been found not guilty, you're still and all going to chastise those who believe certain elements of their story?

Yet again another clear example of why we need anonymity for the accused in such trials.

How can you believe their story when it's incredibly obvious that their story is made up? Blaine mcilroy gave the wrong made up version. He gave the exact same account as Stuart olding. It's pretty much impossible that he did this unless they got together the next day and discussed who was going to say what. You don't have to believe her version but there's clear evidence the guys are lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,766 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Love it.

This witch hunt is a disgrace. If the verdict had gone the other way and people took to the streets and social media calling the girl a liar can you imagine the reaction?

O'Riordan's tweet was a disgrace, so too are Coveney's comments on the front of the Independent today.

Being a scummy, thoughtless, inconsiderate cnut is not a crime. So the lads were acquitted. Good job too, otherwise O'Neill and her ilk would also all be locked up.

What did Coveney say?

I wonder will she face similar attitudes in finding work? After all, she was proven to be unreliable as a witness. Honesty/trust being something that most employers look in a professional employee.

Somehow I doubt it. The degree of double standards regarding the genders is just... meh!

She wasn't actually particularly unreliable as a witness. There are two issues on her end that have been presented as unreliable. Her account to a doctor of what Stuart olding did and when she mentioned the female witness walking in.

You're basically comparing someone who may have been raped talking to a doctor not making an official statement less than 24 hours after the possible rape, only a few hours after deciding to make a complaint.

As for not mentioning the female witness, she did mention her as they were leaving the interview room and the police decided not to extend the interview that day but to follow up another day.

Do you really believe these two "inconsistencies" were similar to what the defendants did? Remember that blaine.mcilroy mimicked Stuart olding story almost 100% admitted to things that even the complainant did not accuse him of.

Basically the complainant had an inconsistency when telling her story to a civilian less than 24 hrs after the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Id say the odds are short on her being served with notice of proceedings before the day is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Based on what? Mullally says nothing there that she could be sued for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If it was possible to prosecute for crimes against journalism, Mullally would've been charged years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

LLMMLL wrote: »

A pumpkin can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

If it was possible to prosecute for crimes against journalism, Mullally would've been charged years ago

We'd need to build an Alcatraz out in the Irish sea. O'Neill, Mullally, and anyone working for the likes of joe and her.ie in the maximum security wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Love it.

What did Coveney say?
    "The Belfast rape trial will have a “chill factor” for victims who are considering coming forward, Simon Coveney said in the Dáil yesterday.

The tánaiste moved to reassure any rape complainants in the Republic that cases in Irish courts “would not and could not” have played out the same way as the trial of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding. Mr Coveney raised concerns that, as a result, people would be put off coming forward or making complaints about alleged abuse owing to the misgivings about the trial."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/rape-trial-will-have-a-chill-factor-on-victims-0lwmbr8qj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

For what?
    "The Belfast rape trial will have a “chill factor” for victims who are considering coming forward, Simon Coveney said in the Dáil yesterday.

The tánaiste moved to reassure any rape complainants in the Republic that cases in Irish courts “would not and could not” have played out the same way as the trial of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding. Mr Coveney raised concerns that, as a result, people would be put off coming forward or making complaints about alleged abuse owing to the misgivings about the trial."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/rape-trial-will-have-a-chill-factor-on-victims-0lwmbr8qj

I don't think he is referring to the verdict. I think he is referring to the cross examination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

LLMMLL wrote: »

I'm often not fan of her writting but this one is excellent and spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

"In a much broader context, we need to put misogyny on trial. "

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

She's planning a hen party in Kinsale now. It would be interesting to see what double standards arise out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

She's planning a hen party in Kinsale now. It would be interesting to see what double standards arise out of that.

It'll either be the worlds dullest or most hypocritical hen party.

I know somebody from outside Clonakility and lets put it this way she doesn't lead by Louise's example. She's more of a fifty shades of grey woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m all for calling her out on the shiite she writes but surely she can plan a bloody hen party without it getting analysed? She can’t fart in peace

I’m all for calling her out on the shiite she writes but surely she can plan a bloody hen party without it getting analysed? She can’t fart in peace

To be honest I think people just like taking the piss out of her on this thread apart from her fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I’m all for calling her out on the shiite she writes but surely she can plan a bloody hen party without it getting analysed?

I dont think use of the gender biased 'hen' party is acceptable anymore. 'Bird' Party, or 'Domestic Fowl' Party are considered the more acceptable terms for such an event these days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

It is a Keep safe party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

We'd need to build an Alcatraz out in the Irish sea. O'Neill, Mullally, and anyone working for the likes of joe and her.ie in the maximum security wing.

Now now, there was some very good coverage by one reporter on joe.ie. She covered the intricacies of the case, the evidence and so on, in a neutral, non-biased account.
    As all great journos should.

It was a rarity, for sure, but yeah. Her.ie is talking about the 'suemepaddy' hashtag.It's stoking the flames.

Mullally's article was actually pretty well written-no guy would defend what those idiot's wrote (A broken clock can be right twice a day-she's using logic this time). Even teens would be disgusted to hear that crap.

I mean, Jackson is a guy who's clearly shown he's not fit for the jersey.

Case in point-this.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ulster-rugby-players-wear-black-makeup-in-ethiopian-photo-paddy-jackson-dressed-as-slave-30424197.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

The guys might end up having to go to France or something for their rugby. Hard to see them getting back into it here or in England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I dont think use of the gender biased 'hen' party is acceptable anymore. 'Bird' Party, or 'Domestic Fowl' Party are considered the more acceptable terms for such an event these days.
    The Poultry Party?

olympics.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

backspin. wrote: »
    The guys might end up having to go to France or something for their rugby. Hard to see them getting back into it here or in England.

Well, the guys have shown they're kind of a nightmare, tbh. Whether you believe the result of the trial or not, the problem they have is that when in the limelight, whether sports or entertainment, you have to be an ambassador for your country. Would the likes of Johnathan Sexton or Paul O'Connell don blackface, or get involved in a rather ugly situation(s)?

I doubt it-they've shown they don't.

The language used by the 4 guys, in my eyes, was their third strike. It showed they are incredibly unprofessional and ungentlemanly.
    GAA players are held to a high standard (Case in point, a Laois player was dropped from the team for a tweet), a boxer was banned from competing for four years for doping. These guy's didn't exercise good judgement.
    It would be impossible to see them back playing for Ireland.

To be honest, considering the awful crap that she has released... I'm all for anybody that wants to analyse her to the extremes... It's not as if she has kept many boundaries of decency in her holy quest against the male Gender.

As a matter of principle, of course they can. But they'd need to publish something defamatory. There's nothing untrue in that article from what I can see.

You'd feel sorry for whatever poor bastard rocks up to that hen party as a stripper..I'd say he'll be violated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

To be honest I think people just like taking the piss out of her on this thread apart from her fans.

They get awfully triggered when she is mocked.

Must be like the 70's or something if someone mocked god the outrage it causes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I kinda agree but she brings it on herself.
    She would be the first to lament the state of society based on analysing a stag night.
    Judge not lest we be judged yourself and the rest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement