Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Going by the sexual language used in The Inbetweeners I'd doubt she likes it. It's everything she hates. It's the type of culture she's always on about hating. That's what made me think of her.

Is that rape culture? Because I’ve no idea what rape culture is supposed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,769 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is that rape culture? Because I’ve no idea what rape culture is supposed to be.

Not sure to be honest. There is a good bit of language in it that she wouldn't deem appropriate for young men to use when discussing sexual acts. I's all linked in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I genuinely have no idea what Louise O'Neill thinks of The Inbetweeners, but presumably we can all agree that the sexual language is mostly from Jay, who it turns out is actually a virgin and completely clueless about sex.

"I'd make her come... all over my face"

"She was so wet for me, you could hear the waves breaking in her fanny"

anigif_enhanced-29078-1406702572-4.gif

et cetera...

I genuinely have no idea what Louise O'Neill thinks of The Inbetweeners, but presumably we can all agree that the sexual language is mostly from Jay, who it turns out is actually a virgin and completely clueless about sex.

It's true about Jay.
    Just going on the past few days in the media/social media I don't think it's acceptable anymore.

It's true about Jay.
    Just going on the past few days in the media/social media I don't think it's acceptable anymore.

It probably wouldn't ever have been considered acceptable, but for the fact that it's parodying the kind of 'laddishness' that Jay aspires to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Louise would have enjoyed the wall to wall make suffering

Probably would have considered it sexual assault when the big black Jesus healed the governors wife

I think her favourite film might be the Passion of the Christ... I was only going to refer to the 6 minutes of non-stop flogging, but the more I think about the film, it seems right up her alley for the treatment of an accused.

I am not bringing religion into this in anyway, just the film!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

It probably wouldn't ever have been considered acceptable, but for the fact that it's parodying the kind of 'laddishness' that Jay aspires to.

Shir the innocent parties in the Belfast trial could have been doing the same!

Shir the innocent parties in the Belfast trial could have been doing the same!

I initially wondered if that might be the case, but the transcript doesn't read like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

faceman wrote: »
    I will not have a bad word said about The Inbetweeners by anyone, including Jesus. It’s remains one of the best show ever to come out of England.

Except the 2nd movie. Utter crap.

The first film isn't that great either-let's be honest.

It's sorta like how Xmas specials of tv shows can often 'unravel' the work done in normal seasons. I see the films as the same-a contained story in one episode is enough. A film 'stretches' things-and suddenly it's not as funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The first film isn't that great either-let's be honest.

It's sorta like how Xmas specials of tv shows can often 'unravel' the work done in normal seasons. I see the films as the same-a contained story in one episode is enough. A film 'stretches' things-and suddenly it's not as funny.

You are being kind.

It was ****.

20 minute shows stretched to over 90 mins don't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

You are being kind.

It was ****.

20 minute shows stretched to over 90 mins don't work.

Yep, I share your sentiments-I was just trying to be kind. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Never saw even a minute of The Inbetweeners.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

He's also the one responsible for that "buswanker" thing that became popular with boyracer types for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

The black guy...
    turned out to be innocent...

Which probably ruined the film for a lot of AH posters. :)

It probably would have ruined the film for LON too had he been white. Accused of rape? Guilty. Found not guilty? Still guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Thing about The Inbetweeners is that the girls or women are always in control. LON would probably miss that.

Carly always decided if she wanted to be with the guy who obsesses about her, Jay's first girlfriend dumped him and controlled how far they went.

The lads always came across as being immature. That's the message there. But she would probably focus on their language.

Jay had one victory when he eventually stood up to the bully who was his Dad and told him to Fcuk Off.

I'm just watching The Inbetweeners now on E4. I've a funny feeling Louise isn't a fan.

Dedicated to all those idiot feminists out there and their 'woke baes' :pac:

The black guy...

How did you come to this rather bizarre conclusion???? :rolleyes: Where has anyone on this thread demonstrated any resentment to anyone merely due to their skin colour?

Point out one instance.....Oh wait, i forgot you dont do counter arguments or debate do you? its just childish silly little retorts where you seem to think make you look intelligent and rather more ironically your post count is very high on this thread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

The black guy...

In reality, the black guy would be guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Breaking News!
    A radical feminist training camp has just been discovered near Clonakilty.
    http://www.piranhazone.com/images/zelda/ocarina/p64/0027_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

The thread has now spent a few pages discussing whether LON likes the inbetweeners or not............. Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

How did you come to this rather bizarre conclusion???? :rolleyes: Where has anyone on this thread demonstrated any resentment to anyone merely due to their skin colour?

Point out one instance.....Oh wait, i forgot you dont do counter arguments or debate do you? its just childish silly little retorts where you seem to think make you look intelligent and rather more ironically your post count is very high on this thread...

Saying AH is full of racists every so often is easier than having to actually make points and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

LLMMLL wrote: »
    The thread has now spent a few pages discussing whether LON likes the inbetweeners or not............. Amazing.

You should head over to the Celebrities and Showbiz forum. It would blow your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Greybottle wrote: »
    Thing about The Inbetweeners is that the girls or women are always in control. LON would probably miss that.

Carly always decided if she wanted to be with the guy who obsesses about her, Jay's first girlfriend dumped him and controlled how far they went.

The lads always came across as being immature. That's the message there. But she would probably focus on their language.

Jay had one victory when he eventually stood up to the bully who was his Dad and told him to Fcuk Off.

I think the show very accurately depicted that, superficially, teenage girls come across more mature than teenage boys. Under the surface, they’re not really and are filled with insecurities too, but teenage girls have more tools at their disposable to paper over the craics: make up, the fact that they can better hide when they are feeling horny etc. I think to teenage boys, the girls can seem to hold all the chips and the show portrayed that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

when the show firt came out i hated it and coudnt watch it. i found it crass and vulger. years later i accedentally watched an eposode from near the end that spured me on to go back and wathc it properly.
    i now think its a work of genious. when you look at it through the lens of insecurities it makes a huge diference. jay is the imbodyment of that . he is all talk about past conquests and all the women he has bedded but its all an act to protect himself form the reality of his inexeperience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

when the show firt came out i hated it and coudnt watch it. i found it crass and vulger. years later i accedentally watched an eposode from near the end that spured me on to go back and wathc it properly.
    i now think its a work of genious. when you look at it through the lens of insecurities it makes a huge diference. jay is the imbodyment of that . he is all talk about past conquests and all the women he has bedded but its all an act to protect himself form the reality of his inexeperience.

Using the 4 lads collectively, it is scarily accurate for guys growing up.
    Without the briefcase obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The inbetweeners is a great show, that is all that needs to be said.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Using the 4 lads collectively, it is scarily accurate for guys growing up.
    Without the briefcase obviously.

even look at smaller stuff like wills mum and the 'banter' he receives about her being hit and everyone wanting to be with her

look at the yellow car and the shame it had based on it being a '****heap' , but in reality it gave the lads great independants

Thanks for keeping Boards.ie going with your comment!

ok back to normal so.

stupid woman. balming me and all men for rape.

• Advertisement

even look at smaller stuff like wills mum and the 'banter' he receives about her being hit and everyone wanting to be with her

look at the yellow car and the shame it had based on it being a '****heap' , but in reality it gave the lads great independants

Don't forget Neil's dad.
    The Inbetweenrs would have sort of the coming of age program/film when I was finishing school/going to college and so much of it was so relevant to every day occurrences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement