Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Thanks for keeping Boards.ie going with your comment!

Why so defensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,769 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Why so defensive?

Will now live in a world where a straight white male can't be thankful for something without being accused of something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Will now live in a world where a straight white male can't be thankful for something without being accused of something!

These days, if you say you're a straight white male, you'll be thrown in jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Don't forget Neil's dad.
    The Inbetweenrs would have sort of the coming of age program/film when I was finishing school/going to college and so much of it was so relevant to every day occurrences.

even the first eposode where will starts his first day , he is an outcast and strugles to fit in . even his future frieds who are outcasts push him away. look at the bullies taking pic of him in the toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

These days, if you say you're a straight white male, you'll be thrown in jail.

I dunno... I’m a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are

3CrAnYV.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

But that poster was just pointing out the absurdity of there being a fair few posts dedicated to wondering whether LON likes or watches a particular TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

LLMMLL wrote: »
    The thread has now spent a few pages discussing whether LON likes the inbetweeners or not............. Amazing.

LLMMLL has 70+ posts in the thread. Coming up on top 5 contributors overall yet bemoans the fact it's still going.

How did you come to this rather bizarre conclusion???? :rolleyes: Where has anyone on this thread demonstrated any resentment to anyone merely due to their skin colour?

Point out one instance.....Oh wait, i forgot you dont do counter arguments or debate do you? its just childish silly little retorts where you seem to think make you look intelligent and rather more ironically your post count is very high on this thread...

You may notice I said 'AH', not 'this thread'.

You may notice I said 'AH', not 'this thread'.

Fair enough, where in AH has anyone demonstrated any hatred against race? A couple of people may have questioned the immigration policy where thousands of people from a very questionable religion in terms of ideology, flood through the borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You're welcome? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    LLMMLL has 70+ posts in the thread. Coming up on top 5 contributors overall yet bemoans the fact it's still going.

I'm aiming to be the number 1 contributor.

Nice work pretending my issue is with there being a thread on LON and not that the thread is discussing whether she likes a TV show she has never mentioned. I'll just pop into the Leo varadkar thread and wonder if he likes Room to Improve, or a thread in George hook wondering if he watches first dates. Would make just about as much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I'm aiming to be the number 1 contributor.

Nice work pretending my issue is with there being a thread on LON and not that the thread is discussing whether she likes a TV show she has never mentioned. I'll just pop into the Leo varadkar thread and wonder if he likes Room to Improve, or a thread in George hook wondering if he watches first dates. Would make just about as much sense.

nobody is claiming she has watched it or has an opinion on it.

all we are saying is that it is a tv programme that on the face of it from an outside view would portray young guys in a way that would be inline with her beliefs and posts on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,752 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Leo isn't home ATM. He is at the Grand National in Fairyhouse, no pun intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

She's so damn sneaky. She's posting tweets today based on DMs she was sent by some girls who were verbally abused and where Paddy Jackson's name was used. She also retweeted a tweet where some sleaze in a bar used Paddy's name against some woman. Nice little way of keeping his named attached to scurrilous behavior.

This kind of thing:

https://twitter.com/DeirdreeeL/status/980838972334239745

https://twitter.com/RoisinRadio/status/980814978696515587

nobody is claiming she has watched it or has an opinion on it.

all we are saying is that it is a tv programme that on the face of it from an outside view would portray young guys in a way that would be inline with her beliefs and posts on twitter

What silly semantics. Of course nobody has posted : "I know LON has seen the inbetweeners and doesn't like it". But the OP that started this bizarreness was:"I'm just watching The Inbetweeners now on E4. I've a funny feeling Louise isn't a fan."

For all intents and purposes ids the same thing and it's very odd.

She's so damn sneaky. She's posting tweets today based on DMs she was sent by some girls who was verbally abused and where Paddy Jackson's name was used. She also retweeted a tweet where some sleaze in a bar used Paddy's name against some woman. Nice little way of keeping his named attached to scurrilous behavior.

Whatever 'side' you find yourself sympathising with in that case, it's pretty grim that there are some grown men out there who think it's all a big laugh and a bit of 'banter'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

razorblunt wrote: »
    They’re going to need a bigger cauldron.
    and it just happens to be a full moon

Whatever 'side' you find yourself sympathising with in that case, it's pretty grim that there are some grown men out there who think it's all a big laugh and a bit of 'banter'.

Aye, that's why I referred to him as a sleaze.

Hapax, Louise thinks Paddy Jackson is guilty and she has got dog's abuse on Twitter for her article which effectively said as much, and if you think the motive for those tweets today was out of some desire to be a good citizen of Ireland and let us all know that there are some sleazy blokes about, then you're very naive.

Aye, that's why I referred to him as a sleaze.

Hapax, Louise thinks Paddy Jackson is guilty and she has got dog's abuse on Twitter for her article which effectively said as much, and if you think the motive for those tweets today was out of some desire to be a good citizen of Ireland and let us all know that there are some sleazy blokes about, then you're very naive.

I disagree that she's motivated by a desire to attach Paddy Jackson's name to further sleazy behaviour. She's just sharing stories of women who've encountered sleazy idiots and wannabe 'edgelords' using his name, and the crime he was accused of, as 'banter'.

I disagree...

Thought you might.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

She seems like a grief vampire, feeding of misery to further her career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

She's so damn sneaky. She's posting tweets today based on DMs she was sent by some girls who were verbally abused and where Paddy Jackson's name was used. She also retweeted a tweet where some sleaze in a bar used Paddy's name against some woman. Nice little way of keeping his named attached to scurrilous behavior.

This kind of thing:

https://twitter.com/DeirdreeeL/status/980838972334239745

https://twitter.com/RoisinRadio/status/980814978696515587

Louise gets to have her cake and eat it here. She posts retweets of alleged instances that link the defendants in the trial to deviant behavior, yet Louise herself has her hands washed of any accusations of libel.

Also, if those alleged instances she retweeted are true, so what? Are people not allowed to have conversations anymore (even sleazy ones) without overzealous, pc wackos, trying to overhear every word so they can be "outraged" on Twitter? Jesus.

Thought you might.

:) I think there can be a tendency on this thread to perceive everything she does, says, writes or tweets as being motivated by nefariousness. In this case, I think she was simply highlighting the sort of awfulness that women sometimes encounter when they meet that tiny, tiny minority of shitty, but very vocal men.

Are people not allowed to have conversations anymore (even sleazy ones) without overzealous, pc wackos, trying to overhear every word so they can be "outraged" on Twitter? Jesus.

My take on it is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

:) I think there can be a tendency on this thread to perceive everything she does, says, writes or tweets as being motivated by nefariousness. In this case, I think she was simply highlighting the sort of awfulness that women sometimes encounter when they meet that tiny, tiny minority of shitty, but very vocal men.

In the interest of equality will she find something similar from women?

Not surprised about the Paddy Jackson jokes. I remember hearing similar jokes in clubs when Larry Murphy was released!

And yet she has made a career from claiming that this 'rape culture' phenomenon is widespread. She hasn't provided any stats or an iota of proof though. Just hysterical nonsense. Yes there is bastards of men who behave unacceptably but how widespread exactly is this problem? Ive had women behave obnoxiously to me and invade my personal space on a night out but i put it down to a minority of idiots being idiots and not a widespread problem amongst women.

She's feeding off this Jackson case like a leech and deserves every bit of stick she is getting. If you are going to make audacious claims then back them up at least

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Why in the name of Jaysus are you all so obsessed with this woman? Is she the feminist bogey(wo)man or something?

Can I just say that the ongoing renaming of this thread makes it way funnier..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Imo she's a one subject writer. Nothing much in the way of talent so will cling to anything she can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement