Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I suppose you're going to tell me ...
    Seeing as you're not making a point, I'll take it that you accept your sexism. Sexism is bad; you should get that seen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I suppose you're going to tell me next that women behave exactly the same as men and tall about men in exactly the same way men talk about women because some woman grabbed your ass once ten years ago.

Speaking for all 3.5 billion women there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's some joke here about clonakility sausages and Louise having issues with them but I cant formulate it..

Loves black pudding apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Speaking for all 3.5 billion women there?

No speaking in general. Same as anyone else who says anything about women and men in general.

Zulu wrote: »
    Seeing as you're not making a point, I'll take it that you accept your sexism. Sexism is bad; you should get that seen to.

No you can take it that I don't accept that I'm sexist. But pretty sure you knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I suppose you're going to tell me next that women behave exactly the same as men and tall about men in exactly the same way men talk about women because some woman grabbed your ass once ten years ago.

Careful!

Your Queen Louise O'Neill talks about rape culture being prevalent in private group messages, and how all men are part of the problem blah blah blah and you're basically dismissing sexual assault as nothing?

No speaking in general. Same as anyone else who says anything about women and men in general.

Also known as Generalisation.
    For example; claiming that, no women, would ever, behave inappropriately or talk badly about the opposite sex.

Careful!

Your Queen Louise O'Neill talks about rape culture being prevalent in private group messages, and how all men are part of the problem blah blah blah and you're basically dismissing sexual assault as nothing?

No I'm saying the experiences of men and women and the behaviour of both are different.

Women get groped, harassed etc. Far more frequently. Invariably someone comes along and says "this wan grabbed my ass in a club ten years ago" as evidence that women harass men as much as men harass women.

I'm not saying those individual acts of harassment are acceptable when done by women.

Also you can insert "in general" in the appropriate places.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Also known as Generalisation.
    For example; claiming that, no women, would ever, behave inappropriately or talk badly about the opposite sex.

I'm not claiming that no woman would ever do that. Do you know what "in general" means?

I'm not claiming that no woman would ever do that. Do you know what "in general" means?

I am not sure really to tell you the truth.

Maybe I should use another example.
    In general there is no such thing as 'rape culture' in Ireland. Yes, there are bad people who say/do bad things, both male and female. But in general Ireland is one of the safest countries to live in the world. But this doesn't suit the agenda of some who are profiting from peddling their wares by creating this illusion of some kinda women-hating paradise.

• Advertisement

No I'm saying the experiences of men and women and the behaviour of both are different.
    Well more accurately your creating a position for me so you can argue against it; a strawman.

Conveniently you also are dismissing and trivialising sexual assault as experienced by some men, so kudos for you - its a twofer.

Your sexism knows no bounds!

Well more accurately your creating a position for me so you can argue against it; a strawman.

Conveniently you also are dismissing and trivialising sexual assault as experienced by some men, so kudos for you - its a twofer.

Your sexism knows no bounds!

I never dismissed or trivialized sexual assault against males. I said it happens less frequently. It's a bit hypocritical to say I've created a strawman and then to create one yourself.

I never dismissed or trivialized sexual assault against males...
    Apologies I must have misunderstood this non-point:

Apologies I must have misunderstood this non-point:

Yes you misunderstood. I was criticising men who think they have the same experiences as women due to one incident of harassment. Women experience this harassment far far far more frequently.

I am not saying that the individual act of harassment is ok or more acceptable if done by a woman.

Second or third time I've clarified that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Columnist Jennifer O’Connell is on Twitter bleating on about rape culture again, this **** drives me mad. How can our national newspaper of note propagate this bull****, constantly trying to whip us all into an angry frenzy, in one of the safest, richest countries in the world.

Yes you misunderstood. I was criticising men who think they have the same experiences as women due to one incident of harassment. Women experience this harassment far far far more frequently.
    You're speaking of the handful of men you know personally of course, and not men in general - right?

Because you clearly wouldn't have any clue (other than your own prejudiced notions) about the experiences of men "in general". That's a given - right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Shelga wrote: »
    Columnist Jennifer O’Connell is on Twitter bleating on about rape culture again, this **** drives me mad. How can our national newspaper of note propagate this bull****, constantly trying to whip us all into an angry frenzy, in one of the safest, richest countries in the world.

Because its easy for these deluded pc wackos to crusade against a non-existent problem. They wouldn't dream of writing to criticize the real oppressive cultures of Muslim countries where women really are subjugated, lest they be labelled racist. No, better stick to criticizing western whites, who you can write whatever you want about, without fear of a fatwa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ireland is screwed up-and the comments from Leo about the case, before it was even decided, show he's a few IQ points short of a plum pudding.

I missed this- did Leo comment on the Belfast case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Rose or Tulip? More like Japanese knotweed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Can we all just agree that a woman can’t go to Tesco for a few messages without being groped and men just hang around nightclubs with their arses pushed out hoping that some desperate female will give it a pinch?

• Advertisement

You're speaking of the handful of men you know personally of course, and not men in general - right?

Because you clearly wouldn't have any clue (other than your own prejudiced notions) about the experiences of men "in general". That's a given - right?

I'm also talking about the experiences of men who contribute to threads on women being harassed with their experiences of being harassed by females. None have come even slightly close to the frequency of the harassment the women on the threads have experienced.

The one exception is glass collectors at pubs who seem to get awful harassment.

I'm also talking about the experiences of men who contribute to threads ...
    Well then, seeing as these aren't men you personally know, you are trivialising sexual assault as experienced by some men.

Which is a shame, and terribly sad. No victim of sexual assault should be belittled or their experience trivialised - regardless of gender.

I never dismissed or trivialized sexual assault against males. I said it happens less frequently. It's a bit hypocritical to say I've created a strawman and then to create one yourself.

It's talked about or reported on less frequently. Doesn't mean it hasn't been happening.

It's like the statistics on domestic abuse. In many cases, the male is arrested on the spot simply because public perception is that the male will be the aggressor. Even in cases where the male called the cops themselves or when there are witnesses, (of the male being the actual victim), the police will more often than not take in the male for questioning. Reports of this happening have been kept down for decades and are only recently getting attention.

Society does not encourage men to complain, or report on the behavior of women because we a) don't get any sympathy/belief or B) we're assumed to be the aggressor/instigator and held responsible.

Just because men aren't crying about being hassled by women doesn't mean it's not happening. It's just that we understand that there's only room for one victim gendertype in this modern society. :rolleyes:

Well then, seeing as these aren't men you personally know, you are trivialising sexual assault as experienced by some men.

Which is a shame, and terribly sad. No victim of sexual assault should be belittled or their experience trivialised - regardless of gender.

So the men who contribute to those threads with experiences of their sexual assaults by women are lying and it actually happens to them much more frequently?

That would be very strange as those men are trying to argue that their experiences are the same as those of women. Surely if it was happening to them more often they would say so.

Your arguments make zero sense. You're trying too hard to catch me out.

It's talked about or reported on less frequently. Doesn't mean it hasn't been happening.

It's like the statistics on domestic abuse. In many cases, the male is arrested on the spot simply because public perception is that the male will be the aggressor. Even in cases where the male called the cops themselves or when there are witnesses, (of the male being the actual victim), the police will more often than not take in the male for questioning. Reports of this happening have been kept down for decades and are only recently getting attention.

Society does not encourage men to complain, or report on the behavior of women because we a) don't get any sympathy/belief or B) we're assumed to be the aggressor/instigator and held responsible.

Just because men aren't crying about being hassled by women doesn't mean it's not happening. It's just that we understand that there's only room for one victim gendertype in this modern society. :rolleyes:

That doesn't really apply to me (been groped twice by women), all my friends who are open about these things who have low levels of harassment by women, and the guys who come onto threads about harassment of women by men with their own experiences of being harassed by women. These men would have no reason to lie or minimize their own experiences as the whole point of them posting is to claim they experience similar harassment to women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Stereotypes are stereotypes because they have a basis in fact. A lot of women do love to complain, especially if there is no solution or if they can blame someone or something else. The gender pay gap is a great one, because unless women stop having children, or get paid more by the state when they take time off to have them, to compensate for the extra career progression men get, or force men to stay home minding kids, by law, there is no solution to it. And even if all of the above was done, then they could complain about not spending enough time with their kids.

My wife was complaining this morning about one of our daughters, some of our customers (we have a business together), her diet, how stressful everything in general was.

All of the issues (except her diet) are issues that affect me equally as much, and in the case of the business, far more.

I looked at the clock when I started, and when she finally finished, it was over an hour later. This is a common occurrence.

And they say men don't listen. It's hardly surprising if you spend over an hour just complaining.

I would say I spent less time than that ALL OF LAST YEAR complaining.

What's the point? Just solve it, change it or put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I've had multiple incidents of what (if it happened to a woman) would be called harassment. Even experiencing it as we speak in my current job.

It's banter and funny in their eyes and I'm like most men and are not offended by this but occasionally reminded of the ENORMOUS double standard!

You say women experience far more frequently and you could be right. However, men don't, won't and more often can't highlight/report these instances.

In reality, it is prob far closer to a level playing field.

Your arguments make zero sense.
    That's laughable, good one.

Your argument means nothing. And it's obvious. You're attempting to bolster your prejudice by referencing "experiences of men who contribute to threads" which amounts to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

professore wrote: »
    Stereotypes are stereotypes because they have a basis in fact. A lot of women do love to complain, especially if there is no solution or if they can blame someone or something else. The gender pay gap is a great one, because unless women stop having children, or get paid more by the state when they take time off to have them, to compensate for the extra career progression men get, or force men to stay home minding kids, by law, there is no solution to it. And even if all of the above was done, then they could complain about not spending enough time with their kids.

My wife was complaining this morning about one of our daughters, some of our customers (we have a business together), her diet, how stressful everything in general was.

All of the issues (except her diet) are issues that affect me equally as much, and in the case of the business, far more.

I looked at the clock when I started, and when she finally finished, it was over an hour later. This is a common occurrence.

And they say men don't listen. It's hardly surprising if you spend over an hour just complaining.

I would say I spent less time than that ALL OF LAST YEAR complaining.

What's the point? Just solve it, change it or put up with it.

:D:D:D
    have you made a note of that post and the time spent on it so you can include it in this years tallies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

To give the doubters context :

In my late teens early twenties you could count on both hands the times I went to night clubs. They weren't my scene. But I had my crotch grabbed, ass slapped/pinched and nipples pinched by women.

If you think I'm alone you are mistaken

Currently in work there is an older woman commenting on the size of my penis. (never has or will see it) and has had herself and another girl shouting to "whip it out" in front of other colleagues. All in the name of fun and I'm moee embarrassed than offended. But do I have a choice?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement