Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Zulu wrote: »
    That's laughable, good one.

Your argument means nothing. And it's obvious. You're attempting to bolster your prejudice by referencing "experiences of men who contribute to threads" which amounts to nothing.

How does it amount to nothing? Surely their experiences count for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

Rose or Tulip? More like Japanese knotweed

A piece of shyt, by any other name, would smell just as sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

LLMMLL wrote: »
    How does it amount to nothing?
    ...because, as we've established is based entirely on prejudice and sexism.

Zulu wrote: »
    ...because, as we've established is based entirely on prejudice and sexism.

No it's based on the reports of men. How is listening to men's experiences prejudiced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

:D:D:D
    have you made a note of that post and the time spent on it so you can include it in this years tallies

Another difference is that if I complain, I am generally stating a problem and looking for solutions. In her case, if I offer solutions she gets annoyed. She is happiest if I just shut up and listen (or at least pretend to listen) ...

If you based an estimate of the problems we have on the amount we complain, you would assume that her life is an incredible disaster of stress, problems and troubles, whereas mine was plain sailing and easy. In actual fact I face just as many difficulties as she does now our kids are older, I just handle stress better. I think anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So there are differences between the America and Irish prison system. What does that have to do with what were discussing.

Both prison populations supposedly abhor those who commit sexual offenses. According to you this is evidence of there not being a rape culture. Yet in American prisons there is a major issue with male rape. It doesnt matter that it's a different country. If abhorrence of rapists among prisoners was truly a measure of attitudes to rape, surely one would expect those prisoners not to be rapists themselves no matter what the jurisdiction.

Idiots People say we’ve a rape culture in Ireland. I’m discussing Ireland. Simple concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

py2006 wrote: »
    To give the doubters context :

In my late teens early twenties you could count on both hands the times I went to night clubs. They weren't my scene. But I had my crotch grabbed, ass slapped/pinched and nipples pinched by women.

If you think I'm alone you are mistaken

Currently in work there is an older woman commenting on the size of my penis. (never has or will see it) and has had herself and another girl shouting to "whip it out" in front of other colleagues. All in the name of fun and I'm moee embarrassed than offended. But do I have a choice?

Thanks for mansplaining that, they're obviously just reacting to the patriarchy.

I watched "Asking For It" again after all this ****e with the Paddy Jackson trial and this scene stuck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

"...it actually doesn't follow, but I can see why people would make that mistake..."

A mistake Louise seems happy to continue to make long after that show aired and so basically what that barrister said went in one ear and out the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I missed this- did Leo comment on the Belfast case?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/taoiseachs-jawdropping-interview-linked-rape-trial-with-abortion-referendum-36755344.html

Yep, during the trial-he could very well have risked creating a mistrial.
    I watched "Asking For It" again after all this ****e with the Paddy Jackson trial and this scene stuck out.

I half expect that poor Barrister to bring out puppets next, to try and explain things to poor LONNIE.
    You can see she's talking to a wall.

• Advertisement

She was on with Maura and Daithi yesterday (not worth watching) but the only reference she made to the recent rape trial was when discussing Asking For It coming to the Abbey and she made a slight quip about it being clear that the story was more relevant now than ever.

She was on pimping her new feminist retelling of The Little Mermaid, where she has written the main character to be less willing to concede to a man's wishes or to change herself just to try and please him..... which had me thinking, maybe someone should rewrite Thelma and Louise and make Brad Pitt's character stand up for himself more. The way Thelma just uses him like a piece of meat and he lets her? Nah, it's needs a masculinist retelling for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’m rewriting it myself. The Little Merman. He maybe small in stature but he has a big, aquatic mickey and he goes around riding all sorts of sea creatures and doesn’t even call them on the whelk phone the next day.

I’m rewriting it myself. The Little Merman. He maybe small in stature but he has a big, aquatic mickey and he goes around riding all sorts of sea creatures and doesn’t even call them on the whelk phone the next day.

Saw a wonderful interpretation of the Little Mermaid set in space, by one of the artists who worked on Star Wars and Avengers.

Made a far better interpretation than her so-called 'feminist' retelling.

And many have reexamined Disney's interpretation-and call it far more feminist than others dismissed as not being.

Wonder if she's sweating getting sued by PJ and co? Or is it the Irish examiner who'd get sued, because they employ her? (I don't know her contract issues).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

That clip needs to be the reply to every #IBelieveHer tweet to be perfectly honest.

You have an experienced barrister explaining exactly why the law is the way it is and why no way in hell it should ever be changed. Let Ruth "We should nationalise Dell" Coppinger march on the Dept of Justice all she likes. I think I'll prefer to listen to someone who has a bit of cop on if you will.

I even had a discussion in work about this where I said
    "better 1000 guilty people walk free than 1 innocent person is wrongly convicted"
    Well... it was like I had killed their first born.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

I genuinely believe that prior to that interview, Louise would have been of the hope "Yes! I'm getting a female barrister on my show to back me up!", only for the whole thing to crumble around her once the barrister started making reasonable, informed comments. You can see Louise is clearly disgusted with her.

The odd thing is that while Louise and her cohorts are running around trying to convince everyone we need to address the criminal system with regards to how rape cases are dealt with (given how low the conviction rates are for those charged with rape) in the UK they are actually deciding that the opposite is needed after many years of doing just what it was that feminist lobby groups had wanted them to do: which was to automatically believe complainants. That just resulted in some crazy cases and judges having to speak out (largely thanks to Alison Saunders of course).

Now though they have seen the error in their ways and are no longer going to kowtow to lobbyists:
    'It isn't ALL about victims': Met Police to abandon practice of believing all sex crimes complaints

After heavy criticism over a series of failed sex crimes cases, the force will now put their role as investigators first, Met Commissioner Cressida Dick said.

Ms Dick said: "I arrived saying very clearly that we should have an open mind when a person walks in and we should treat them with dignity and respect and we should listen to them and we should record what they say.

"From that moment on, we are investigators," she added.

The remarks came as it emerged director of public prosecutions for England and Wales, Alison Saunders will quit when her five-year contract expires in October.

Ms Saunders came under fire after several rape trials collapsed amid allegations that evidence had not been disclosed.

Ms Dick said that in the past the police have been criticised for "not being open minded enough and sympathetic enough" to victims of sexual offences.

She said it was "very important" to encourage people to tell their story and she wants to go on "raising the confidence" of victims.

However, she added: "But actually our job is not all about victims. Our job in investigations is to be fair, to be impartial and when appropriate to bring things to justice.

"And, of course, to support victims. But it isn't ALL about victims."

In 2016, Sir Richard Henriques, a retired judge, remarked on failings in Operation Midland and said that "the presumption of innocence appears to have been set aside".

The odd thing is that while Louise and her cohorts are running around trying to convince everyone we need to address the criminal system with regards to how rape cases are dealt with (given how low the conviction rates are for those charged with rape) in the UK they are actually deciding that the opposite is needed after many years of doing just what it was that feminist lobby groups had wanted them to do: which was to automatically believe complainants. That just resulted in some crazy cases and judges having to speak out (largely thanks to Alison Saunders of course).

Now though they have seen the error in their ways and are no longer going to kowtow to lobbyists:

Other stuff happened too-I think evidence was altered as well, to 'help' the prosecution-despite it later being shown that edits had been made.
    Saunders was a complete disaster. Imagine, if you will, the 4 lads Whatsapps had been altered to say 'we forced her' etc-that would have led to a clear guilty verdict.

Cases where an actual crime had happened as well-Female Genital Mutilation-led to the perpetrators walking free, despite all evidence pointing to their guilt.
    Saunders was a disaster.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/alison-saunders-when-law-becomes-a-crusade/21274#.WsUf6YjwZPY

Like the poor guy accused of 'historical sex abuse'-detained for a year, before that was thrown out.
    The worrying this is her reign also had a very high rape conviction rate. Will that also be examined? We know there were more than a few cases where evidence was 'excluded'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

No I'm saying the experiences of men and women and the behaviour of both are different.

Women get groped, harassed etc. Far more frequently. Invariably someone comes along and says "this wan grabbed my ass in a club ten years ago" as evidence that women harass men as much as men harass women.

I'm not saying those individual acts of harassment are acceptable when done by women.

Also you can insert "in general" in the appropriate places.
    Yes you misunderstood. I was criticising men who think they have the same experiences as women due to one incident of harassment. Women experience this harassment far far far more frequently.

I am not saying that the individual act of harassment is ok or more acceptable if done by a woman.

Second or third time I've clarified that.

Prove it.

Prove it.

It's not something that can be proved. Even if there was a peer reviewed paper that found it to be true, the response would be "men underreport".

If you're genuinely curious ask your female friends and then ask your male friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

It's not something that can be proved. Even if there was a peer reviewed paper that found it to be true, the response would be "men underreport".

If you're genuinely curious ask your female friends and then ask your male friends.

A bit like this then.

Speaking to irishhealth.com, Kate Mulkerrins, legal co-ordinator with the Rape Crisis Network of Ireland (RCNI), said that independent research indicates that less than one in 10 rape victims report the crime. Furthermore around half do not tell anyone that they have been raped, not even a family member or friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Jaysus watching that....has that woman ever smiled, or does she have "Resting Sourpuss Face" syndrome? Not saying she should have a huge smile on her face during that interview but she looks so miserable and potentially bored the whole way through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I genuinely believe that prior to that interview, Louise would have been of the hope "Yes! I'm getting a female barrister on my show to back me up!", only for the whole thing to crumble around her once the barrister started making reasonable, informed comments. You can see Louise is clearly disgusted with her.

Its a wonder it made the cut. Or itself wasnt seriously edited. (Maybe it was, maybe there was even worse rug pulling)
    A thing that stood out was thd barrister point 20 30 years ago there was a very different attitude to rape, that a victims drinking and dress was regarded as contributory

LON is nothing but a hashtag leech.

All she is doing is looking for the hashtag to make money from and promote her products. Every thing she does is self promotion, from her articles, her radio and Tv appearances. It's all self promotion and please buy my product, even in that youtube clip she mentions her book.

She doesn't care about anything only her own self importance and increasing her bank balance. No better nor worse than likes of Milo and Peterson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

All she is doing is looking for the hashtag to make money from and promote her products. Every thing she does is self promotion, from her articles, her radio and Tv appearances. It's all self promotion and please buy my product, even in that youtube clip she mentions her book.

She doesn't care about anything only her own self importance and increasing her bank balance. No better nor worse than likes of Milo and Peterson.
    seriously?

Possibly-but the latter welcome debate. (They didn't block on twitter, and liked discussion).

LoN is worse in my eyes-in that she is so reactionary, she paints all men as villains...except for lovely daddy, who's so daddy he makes all men inferior to everything. (Despite all the negative attention, his book made it to the top of the NYT best sellers list, stayed for weeks).

Petersen...I don't get the massive backlash. Someone explain it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Possibly-but the latter welcome debate. (They didn't block on twitter, and liked discussion).

LoN is worse in my eyes-in that she is so reactionary, she paints all men as villains...except for lovely daddy, who's so daddy he makes all men inferior to everything. (Despite all the negative attention, his book made it to the top of the NYT best sellers list, stayed for weeks).

Petersen...I don't get the massive backlash. Someone explain it to me.

some of the things he says are used by the 'alt right'. So liberals put him in that category, and once hes labeled Alt Right they cant agree with anything he says, because of loyalty to their own tribe. It's 'intellectual dishonesty'. They cant actually prove anything he's saying is wrong, it just doesnt fit their narrative

seriously?

I don't mind him myself but to the left he is Hitler reincarnated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Are you seriously lumping Jordan Peterson in with Milo Yiannopoulos and Louise O'Neill?

Are you seriously lumping Jordan Peterson in with Milo Yiannopoulos and Louise O'Neill?

Oh boy-that's an image forged in the devil's imagination...

If you wanna get blocked on twitter by a LON or others, mention Christina Hoff Sommers. It's like an insta-mute/ block.
    (CHS is a rational feminist-you may not agree with her, but she invites you to discuss things with her).

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Jaysus watching that....has that woman ever smiled, or does she have "Resting Sourpuss Face" syndrome? Not saying she should have a huge smile on her face during that interview but she looks so miserable and potentially bored the whole way through...

It wasnt boredom, it was the face of a woman getting absolutely owned by facts by a woman that knows the actual law

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement