Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Think he was just using the term "rape fantasy" as a metaphor for wanting to be oppressed - and it really does seem that way.

I am a woman, who deplores misogyny, wants the 8th repealed, wants women to be seen as more than just how sexy we are etc, but this version of feminism is just victimhood seeking.

I still don't see how rape fantasy means wants to be oppressed. It's a fcuking horrific phease to use. Implying that certain women want to be raped.

Pockets of the Gilead world may exist in the West, but they are more likely to exist in cultures that have been imported from the Third World. Cultures that the Far-Left, and feminists, increasingly defend to the hilt btw.

But Gilead almost certainly exists in the Middle-East. And even in South Asia to a degree.

When I think of those cultures in the west I think of fundamentalist mormons, fundamentalist christians like mennonites, some dodgy baptist congregations and Opus Dei.
    If you want to see a horrific story you should read about the mennonites in Bolivia and the 2013 rape case.

BTW, where are these feminists that defend cultures that oppress women. I can't think of any feminist that has ever defended Saudi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Grayson wrote: »
    I still don't see how rape fantasy means wants to be oppressed. It's a fcuking horrific phease to use. Implying that certain women want to be raped.

Plenty of women have used it. They're just as sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

It's a metaphor. It's not literal so it's not implying anyone actually wants to be raped. And rape fantasy is a thing in role-play. I can't understand it for the life of me but it exists. Also, look at S&M.

When I think of those cultures in the west I think of fundamentalist mormons, fundamentalist christians like mennonites, some dodgy baptist congregations and Opus Dei.
    If you want to see a horrific story you should read about the mennonites in Bolivia and the 2013 rape case.

BTW, where are these feminists that defend cultures that oppress women. I can't think of any feminist that has ever defended Saudi.
    They're not defending them - they're pretending it's as bad in the west. Yes I know that mennonites case and thankfully it's not typical of the west at all.

• Advertisement

It's a metaphor. It's not literal so it's not implying anyone actually wants to be raped. And rape fantasy is a thing in role-play. I can't understand it for the life of me but it exists. Also, look at S&M.

+1

Pardon the pun but it beats the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

anna080 wrote: »
    I work with people, men and women, who are all perfectly lovely- nobody shows anybody any penises (penii?)

Consensual genital display at work is fun and a great way to run down the clock, no? :D

Only messing. But it got me thinking of playing doctor as a kid. I'm sure many on here did it. Maybe Louise missed out or something, and it was a contributing factor to her becoming a mentalist.

Wiki says :
    Playing doctor is considered by most child psychologists to be a normal step in childhood development between the ages of approximately three and six years, so long as all parties are willing participants and relatively close in age. However, it can be a source of discomfort to some parents to discover their children are engaging in such an activity. Parenting professionals often advise parents to view such a discovery as an opportunity to calmly teach their children about the differences between the sexes, personal privacy, and respecting the privacy of other children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Is that really 204,000 retweets ???

Is it the same penis ???

I don’t know. Maybe they all watched The Crying Game?

They're not defending them - they're pretending it's as bad in the west. Yes I know that mennonites case and thankfully it's not typical of the west at all.

Did you read my post? I was replying to a post that said those cultures, cultures like saudi, were defended. Here's the phrase from the post i was replying to
    Cultures that the Far-Left, and feminists, increasingly defend to the hilt btw.

And in the post I was replying to it said pockets of these cultures exist in the west but it's most likely to be imported religions. I was pointing out that there's plenty of these pockets that aren't imported religions. In fact I'd go so far as to say in the US in particular I'd say it's far more likely to be christians.

I don’t know. Maybe they all watched The Crying Game?

Nobody wanted to see that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's part of rape culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,321 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seems like we have Blindboy and Lon threads think they would actually make great couple.

They could sprout all the crap for hours and hours and nobody will question them or they won't debate.

Perfect match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Seems like we have Blindboy and Lon threads think they would actually make great couple.

They could sprout all the crap for hours and hours and nobody will question them or they won't debate.

Perfect match.

And she wouldn’t have to look at a man’s face when they’re riding. You could be on to something there.

And she wouldn’t have to look at a man’s face when they’re riding. You could be on to something there.

But think of the children - literally!! Aaargh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Louise O'Neill needs to keep her profile out there. It's good for her book sales and will be good for whenever her next documentary on every man being a b@stard is.

Best to ignore. I've lost count of how many threads there are about her at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Perfect match.

You could be on to something....

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/799763305111965697

I'm starting to think I'm living in a parallel universe where I get by day to day without anyone offending me. I get up, go to work, use public transport- nobody says anything inappropriate. I work with people, men and women, who are all perfectly lovely- nobody shows anybody any penises (penii?) I sometimes walk home, and pass many people in the street, nobody harasses me or pulls down their trousers and pants.
    I mean, who are these people?
    Maybe I'm just really ugly.
    The #metoo thing is tricky because you don't want to be that asshole who seems to be downplaying the devastation of rape/sexual abuse/sexual assault.

The objection people have however is to the way sexual abuse and sexual assault are being redefined. I've had my ass and boob grabbed without invitation - but was it sexual assault or just someone being a drunken idiot? For me it was the latter. Ok people have different boundaries and that's personal, but a bit of stepping back is no harm - is it a matter for the guards? Is it perhaps trivialising what sexual assault/abuse is when there are people who have been put through unimaginable horror as opposed to being on the receiving end of someone being an asshole to them? (Which unfortunately happens constantly in all kinds of situations).

And this stuff of women dressing sexy and then complaining about men being interested in them sexually - why dress sexily so?! It's completely contradictory.

People object to men being defensive over the #metoo thing. But I can see why they are. It paints a picture of a world where women are continuously abused, where nearly all men are predatory. This is not reality. Then you've got the real extreme end of feminism telling men they should feel contrite about this. Wtf?! Of course they're going to object.

If they put themselves in men's shoes - we wouldn't accept being told that we women should all feel responsible because of some women being abusive to men. That's only something a misogynist would think.

The very same applies here. You know the way there is a handful of men who go on as if women can't get through the day without making a false rape claim? Total rubbish of course and will always get my defences up. This is what men are feeling in relation to the #metoo thing.

The #metoo thing is tricky because you don't want to be that asshole who seems to be downplaying the devastation of rape/sexual abuse/sexual assault.

The objection people have however is to the way sexual abuse and sexual assault are being redefined. I've had my ass and boob grabbed without invitation - but was it sexual assault or just someone being a drunken idiot? For me it was the latter. Ok people have different boundaries and that's personal, but a bit of stepping back is no harm - is it a matter for the guards? Is it perhaps trivialising what sexual assault/abuse is when there are people who have been put through unimaginable horror as opposed to being on the receiving end of someone being an asshole to them? (Which unfortunately happens constantly in all kinds of situations).

And this stuff of women dressing sexy and then complaining about men being interested in them sexually - why dress sexily so?! It's completely contradictory.

People object to men being defensive over the #metoo thing. But I can see why they are. It paints a picture of a world where women are continuously abused, where nearly all men are predatory. This is not reality. Then you've got the real extreme end of feminism telling men they should feel contrite about this. Wtf?! Of course they're going to object.

If they put themselves in men's shoes - we wouldn't accept being told that we women should all feel responsible because of some women being abusive to men. That's only something a misogynist would think.

The very same applies here. You know the way there is a handful of men who go on as if women can't get through the day without making a false rape claim? Total rubbish of course and will always get my defences up. This is what men are feeling in relation to the #metoo thing.

I think it's very rare anyone says all men are responsible.
    As for a drunk guy grabbing you, is it assault or something less. Well, can't it be both. No-one is saying that it's the same as rape but if sexual assault was a spectrum it would be on that spectrum. And it shouldn't be acceptable no matter what gender or orientation does it.

It is more difficult for women though. If a woman grabbed my ass I could tell her to feck off. It might be awkward but i probably wouldn't be physically threatened. If you do it there's always the chance the guy could turn verbally or physically abusive and that puts a woman into a different situation where they are more likely to try and diffuse the situation rather than confront it.

I can understand why some men feel under siege when they see all the #metoo stuff. But the correct response to hearing this stuff isn't "But we're all not like that". The correct response is simply saying "that is unacceptable. Those guys are cnuts". To say "not all of us are like that" is making the situation about yourself rather than the victims and the perps.

Edited for some spelling/grammar. Yes I know there's probably more mistakes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Perfect match.
    Bressie was retweeting her constantly -and promoting her shtick (according to another forum who has a dislike of Lon) ... blindboy would have competition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭Odhinn

...... woke bae.

It's frightening to see the speed at which shite falls out of somebodys gob on the other side of the atlantic and is regurgitated on this one.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...... woke bae.

It's frightening to see the speed at which shite falls out of somebodys gob on the other side of the atlantic and is regurgitated on this one.
    Her other woke bae is Tupac who has a convictions for the stuff she champions against - I just love her hypocrisy

Do I want to know what a woke bae is ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do I want to know what a woke bae is ???

Probably not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think she's trolling. Surely nobody could be that much of a gobshlte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I think she's trolling. Surely nobody could be that much of a gobshlte?
    Knowing someone who has dealt with her - it’s not a troll act and she goes around with an air of self importance - looking at her twitter feed, I do believe this person

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can understand why some men feel under siege when they see all the #metoo stuff. But the correct response to hearing this stuff isn't "But we're all not like that". The correct response is simply saying "that is unacceptable. Those guys are cnuts". To say "not all of us are like that" is making the situation about yourself rather than the victims and the perps.

"The correct response"?

As determined by whom exactly?

To say "not all men are like that" is a direct response to the insinuation that all men are like that. It's not making anything any more about themselves, than the person making the insinuation about them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Is this the type of toxic, Third Wave feminist bolloxology that Blindboy thinks young Irish men need?

Yeah, I can see it really helping them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I have two questions...
    What's a Woke Bae?
    and
    What's a Blindboy?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement