Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

LLMMLL wrote: »
    You also can't prove/show that India has a rape culture because it's impossible. You can just shift the definition. You seem to believe India has an actual rape culture from the above post. What if someone says: there was a massive controversy in India about those rapes therefore India does not have a rape culture. No mater what evidence is given its possible to shift the goalposts.

Clearly LON thinks Ireland is a rape culture for certain reasons. Just because there are worse places doesn't mean theyre the only rape cultures.

If only mental gymnastic were an Olympic sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Ahh gotcha now. Rape culture is a bull****-made-up term. Which is why you can't prove it exists or doesn't exist. Ok.

As for India, I've lived there. No point going any further.

If it's a bull**** made up term then why do you use it yourself to describe India. Also LON lives in Ireland.

Ipso wrote: »
    If only mental gymnastic were an Olympic sport.

There'd definitely be a few people getting a gold in this thread.

This is what fundamentalism breeds; no irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I think there’s a culture of misandry in Ireland. Don’t ask me to prove it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

If it's a bull**** made up term....

There's no IFs about it..........

Think about it. You're arguing that it's fine for some to think we in Ireland live in a RAPE culture on the basis that some women here get cat called and groped etc etc. That would be like someone trying to argue that we live in a MURDER culture and citing how often people here get punched and slapped. It's a ridiculous bullshit term bandied about by those who have a vested interest in portraying women as perpetual victims.

There's no IFs about it..........

Think about it. You're arguing that it's fine for some to think we in Ireland live in a RAPE culture on the basis that some women here get cat called and groped etc etc. That would be like someone trying to argue that we live in a MURDER culture and citing how often people here get punched and slapped. It's a ridiculous bullshit term bandied about by those who have a vested interest in portraying women as perpetual victims.

It's more akin to people saying we live in a. Drinking culture........ Which people do all the time (whether you agree with them or not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think there’s a culture of misandry in Ireland. Don’t ask me to prove it though.

I think the Men R Trash placard is enough to prove it-as is the thousands of people protesting a court verdict not in their jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's more akin to people saying we live in a. Drinking culture........ Which people do all the time (whether you agree with them or not).

We DO live in a drinking culture. Birthday? Drink. Anniversary? Drink. Funeral? Drink. Work bonding night out? Drink.

We DO NOT live in a rape culture. Birthday? Nah no rape. Anniversay? I'll pass on the old rape. Funeral. Rape wouldn't really be appropriate would it? Work bonding night out? Be a bit of awkward tension Monday morning if you suggested going for a few rapes with the colleagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I think the Men R Trash placard is enough to prove it-as is the thousands of people protesting a court verdict not in their jurisdiction.

Plus the death threats to the solicitor and the vile abuse hurled at Dara Florence.

A right nasty shower that are claiming to be seeking justice.

• Advertisement

I see one of LON's buddies-the woman who's so tough she faked a disability-is in trouble because she wanted 'special' treatment. As in bring her dog onto a plane.

Ah Maeve Higgins...do you think Des Bishop should help you out again?

https://www.joe.ie/news/maeve-higgins-assistance-animal-621553

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Plus the death threats to the solicitor and the vile abuse hurled at Dara Florence.

A right nasty shower that are claiming to be seeking justice.

You see Dara Florence became a victim, pardon the pun, of the Third-Wave Radical Feminist/Far Left "Victim or Perpetrator" identity politics view of the world.

If you do not side 100% with the victim class....you are a Perpetrator.

There is no middle ground with some of these radicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Oh come on, the word Rape is used because of the power that it carries with it and it carries that power precisely because of how much society abhors that crime.

As Brent would put it: 'Get.Their.Attention.'.

'

Omackeral wrote: »
    We DO live in a drinking culture. Birthday? Drink. Anniversary? Drink. Funeral? Drink. Work bonding night out? Drink.

We DO NOT live in a rape culture. Birthday? Nah no rape. Anniversay? I'll pass on the old rape. Funeral. Rape wouldn't really be appropriate would it? Work bonding night out? Be a bit of awkward tension Monday morning if you suggested going for a few rapes with the colleagues.

Just checked some facts. One fifth of people in Ireland don't drink. Of those that do only between a quarter and a third consuned more than the recommended amount in the week before the survey I was reading. Therefore it's not a drinking culture. Also everyone eats so why don't we live in a Food culture?

Now I'm not actually arguing the above I'm fine with people saying we live in a drinking culture. Just demonstrating how easy it is to naysay the idea, which you seem to wholeheartedly accept.

Oh come on, the word Rape is used because of the power that it carries with it and it carries that power precisely because of how much society abhors that crime.

As Brent would put it: 'Get.Their.Attention.'.

'

I love that clip. Love it. If it aired now you'd probably have a few wah wahs looking for it to be pulled but for me it's one of the funniest gags I've seen. Get their attention

Just checked some facts. One fifth of people in Ireland don't drink.

So 80% of people do drink. What percentage would you say rape or agree with or accept rape or have it as part of their weekly routine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I don't think you understand what people mean when they say rape culture.

It seems a bit like they don't understand themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

there's a bandwagon culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

there's a bandwagon culture

Culture Club.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    It seems a bit like they don't understand themselves.

It's like 'Toxic Masculinity' really. What it was meant to imply was how male attitudes to everything from emotions (crying over losing a loved one, for example, would lead to a shaming-from men and women-if you're a guy. This would imply that repressing emotions would lead to so many other problems. Including depression and suicide) to expressing love for your spouse and children were something that as a guy you 'don't do'.

Instead it's become a buzzword for essentially intrinsic heterosexual behaviours-'chatting up a woman' is not a bad thing. Stalking her when she turn him down is (and is not T.M.-it's a disorder).
    'Toxic' implies behaviour that is damaging to onesself-like how 'arsenic' is toxic once it's ingested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Or we could drop pretending that women sexually harass as much as men and try and solve the issue of sexual harassment rather than deflect.

Separately we could address the behaviour of men who physically assault other men.

How about the LBGT community too? Apparently domestic violence is quite prevalent among lesbian couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Just checked some facts. One fifth of people in Ireland don't drink. Of those that do only between a quarter and a third consuned more than the recommended amount in the week before the survey I was reading. Therefore it's not a drinking culture. Also everyone eats so why don't we live in a Food culture?

Now I'm not actually arguing the above I'm fine with people saying we live in a drinking culture. Just demonstrating how easy it is to naysay the idea, which you seem to wholeheartedly accept.

They're some pretty weak facts.

I think you're probably right there because it's absolute codswallop to begin with. The word culture is an absolute misnomer. Culture is defined as a set of beliefs, customs or behaviours shared by peoples. What section of society in this great land promotes rape can I ask? What group of people find forced molestation or penetration of another acceptable? Where are the fortnightly organised meet-ups of all these like-minded individuals? Where are their forums? Where are their meeting halls? Where is their media outlet? If you can give me answers to all those questions, then maybe I'll find the term a little more palatable.

py2006 wrote: »
    How about the LBGT community too? Apparently domestic violence is quite prevalent among lesbian couples.

Yes you could address that separately too. What's your point?

(Guessing its: LON has never tweeted about domestic violence between lesbians. What a hypocrite!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think you're probably right there because it's absolute codswallop to begin with. The word culture is an absolute misnomer. Culture is defined as a set of beliefs, customs or behaviours shared by peoples. What section of society in this great land promotes rape can I ask? What group of people find forced molestation or penetration of another acceptable? Where are the fortnightly organised meet-ups of all these like-minded individuals? Where are their forums? Where are their meeting halls? Where is their media outlet? If you can give me answers to all those questions, then maybe I'll find the term a little more palatable.

Again, this seems to be a complete misunderstanding of what most people mean when they use the term "rape culture". Rape culture does not mean a culture that promotes rape or deems it acceptable. It refers to a culture which makes it easier or more likely for rapes to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

You also can't prove/show that India has a rape culture because it's impossible. You can just shift the definition. You seem to believe India has an actual rape culture from the above post. What if someone says: there was a massive controversy in India about those rapes therefore India does not have a rape culture. No mater what evidence is given its possible to shift the goalposts.

Clearly LON thinks Ireland is a rape culture for certain reasons. Just because there are worse places doesn't mean theyre the only rape cultures.

yeah! Money!

Rape happens in Ireland, just like other serious crimes like murder no one is going to deny this. But those serious crimes are dealt with by the full force of the law. No one in their right mind is going to turn a blind eye to someone who has committed a crime like this and has been proven to do so after a fair trail.
    This goes completely against what "culture" would imply.

In some Sharia Law countries they allow the rapist to be "cleared" of all charges if they marry their victim, THAT is rape culture. That is a clear example of how a society is allow something to be accepted and almost normalised. To even compare this to Ireland is laughable and this is why some many have a problem with Louise O'Neill and others like her.

People certainly say some bad things and examples like this now infamous whatapps group texts from the Belfast trail do proven that, if that ever needed to be proved but this no where near the same level as actual rape.
    Trying to just bundle all this together is undermining a real serious crime.

I would instead come to the conclusion she is using this term to get as much attention as possible and you know what? Its working!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Again, this seems to be a complete misunderstanding of what most people mean when they use the term "rape culture". Rape culture does not mean a culture that promotes rape or deems it acceptable. It refers to a culture which makes it easier or more likely for rapes to happen.

Those shouting "rape culture" cannot just come along and try to redefine the word culture to suit their agenda without being challenged on this.
    We do not have a rape culture. Its a heinous crime and society views it as such. Its an incredibly damaging misnomer to suggest Ireland has a rape culture when it clearly hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

You can’t just take a phrase like that and redefine it so you can cast the net further.
    Rape culture does mean the normalising or acceptance of rape. It’s the people that are using it to say that there’s a rape culture here in Ireland that are misunderstanding the term. And I’m sure a lot of them are not genuinely misunderstanding it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭blue note

Wow. From your figures you're saying about half the population drank more than the recommended amount the week before the survey and you don't regard this as a drink culture. If that's not an example of the acceptance of excessive drinking as part of our culture I don't know what is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement